TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Tax preparation software

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by theo, Feb 11, 2019.

1. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Thanks for the input from informed voices of experience; much appreciated. I should probably go through the program again with a proverbial "fine tooth comb" before (perhaps prematurely) rendering a negative judgement on Turbo Tax.

Having never used TT before, there is no data to "pull" from prior years, so I want to make sure that I get things correct "right out of the gate", in the event that I choose to adopt the software for use in the future. The much-decreased complexity of our finances in recent years and the imminent retirement of my trusted CPA present the time and opportunity to perhaps start handling my own tax preparation and filing.

I fear one of those unsolicited robo calls informing me that the IRS is coming to arrest me unless I [fill in the blank]. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    artringwald and mpumilia like this.
  2. Brett

Brett Guest

I think if you go thru the interview process with Turbotax you shouldn't have any problems. I've used TT for years

rapmarks likes this.
  3. uscav8r

uscav8r TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

TT will not ask you questions it deems are irrelevant, especially if you use the “walk me through” input process. You likely did not get asked about retirement distributions since you did not enter or import a 1099-R.

FWIW, I agree with a prior comment that the Premium is more thorough. I use Premium due to rental properties and investments (including IRAs and 401ks), but it also handles other non-standard situations better as well.

Also, I never used the guided input. Instead, I pick what I want to work on manually, and I hit almost everything that is remotely relevant or interesting. I’ve definitely gone through the retirement distribution input section in this fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. uscav8r

uscav8r TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

It asks me in Premium. Then, again, I’ve used TT for years and it imports info from my prior return. The capital loss issue may just need some prodding for first-time users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I know we used their highest level online version last year and we followed each prompt and felt it was very thorough.

pittle likes this.
  6. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I don't know what you pay your CPA, but I own a business and rental properties and report income in two states. I find it worth every penny and is less than $500 for my personal returns. He has done mine for years. I've been audited also and having someone to help me through that was critical and I was charged nothing extra

7. basham

basham TUG Member

If he does your business returns also, I'm very surprised that your personal returns cost you $500. The practise that I have observed is that the business owners returns are prepared gratis (as long as the business pays for its returns)

8. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Well we were not so fortunate. When we had our business, our CPA charged about $1400 for the business returns and another $1000 for personal returns. We feel like we make it out like bandits when we used Turbo Tax last year for 2017 returns as we retired in 2016.

9. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

We paid a lot for my mother in laws personal returns and she died 18 years ago. She had an irrevocable insurance trust, and to file when that paid out was $790 in 2000 with one item on the return.

10. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

He doesn't do my business returns. I prefer to keep them separate.

11. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    Another satisfied customer of Turbo Tax Home & Business edition. We too used to use an accountant to do our personal & business (a small LLC) returns. It used to run about $500 for the four (state & federal/personal & business). For at least the last 6 years, I've been doing them myself.

The LLC return I do with the forms available on IRS.gov because it is such a small thing and I don't want to pay the high expense of the Turbo for business. (Home & Business doesn't have the appropriate forms for an LLC for filing.)

I did have a distribution from my retirement last year and the 1099R question triggered the appropriate place for me to enter that amount. So I'm not sure why you didn't have it presented to you.

I find the process to be seamless and fast . . . it took me about 90 minutes to do our tax returns (all four of them) a couple of weekends ago. I keep good notes and records throughout the year so that I don't have to compile all of the data after the first of the year. Keeping a spreadsheet and adding to it any time we have something that will impact the tax preparation makes it simple. (The biggest thing for us are medical expenses and contributions/donations.)

Hope you're able to find a workable solution without utilizing a CPA, if you don't need one.

mpumilia likes this.
  12. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I'm a huge proponent of Turbo Tax but used Tax Act to file my Son's LLC Return. It was thorough and easy to use. Easy to Efile and K-1s came out fine. I think the cost was something like $55...

George

mpumilia and Timeshare Von like this.
  13. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    Yep I get it . . . but our reurn and K1s are so small and simple (less than 30 minutes to fill in the fillable PDF form from IRS, there's no reason to pay even $55. :)