TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Taking ice through TSA lines

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by clifffaith, Aug 12, 2019.

1. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Someone is posting on one of the Diamond Resorts Facebook boards that he takes ice in an insulated container (ETA: like a thermos) through TSA. I've asked if he does this at multiple airports, but that sure doesn't sound right. Note to terrorists: freeze your bomb making liquids. I do know that some airports let things fly that others don't -- case in point the small, round nosed children's scissors I had confiscated after flying with them numerous times.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East, Oyster Bay
    Disneyworld doesn’t allow ice anymore. You can get some in the park but can’t bring it from outside

3. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

I have two very small lunch box size Tupperware-type containers that have a ring of "blue liquid" in the lid. You put the lid in the freezer than pop it on top of your peaches or whatever. I'd take that to Disneyland, but I have specifically not used them on a packed airplane lunch figuring anything that can thaw and become liquid was a no-no. FB guy's logic was ice in its frozen form is a solid not a liquid. I can't imagine how they let him through other than that he "doesn't look like a terrorist" and gave him a pass. Folks over 75 (I think is the age) don't have to take their shoes off, but 80+ Cliff has been asked to do that on occasion.

4. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    You would think so but my husband works at the airport for Delta and has to go through TSA everyday. TSA told him that he could bring those blue blocks if they are frozen but not if they are thawed and liquid-y. I agree that it makes no sense. I don't think they would let someone take regular ice through though.

5. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

moonstone and clifffaith like this.
  6. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    How about fire starters or charcoal bbq bricks? Lol

7. Janann

Janann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
    Disney's Saratoga Springs
    Actually, you can bring ice, but it can't be in the form of individual cubes floating around freely. I believe it is because Security needs to be able to easily dig through it and see what is hiding at the bottom of the container. You can put a bunch of cubes into sandwich bags or something similar, and then after you get through Security you can pour out the individual cubes so that your water bottles or whatever are cooled more efficiently.

8. Janann

Janann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
    Disney's Saratoga Springs
    My husband carries a small thermos type thing with re-freezable soft plastic ice cubes. His medication needs to be kept cold, so maybe he gets through TSA screening a little easier because he is carrying medication.

clifffaith likes this.
  9. tompalm

tompalm TUG Member

I have done it a bunch of times at a lot of airports. But I have pre-check and that might make a difference.

10. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'm not sure that PreCheck would make a difference. We have PreCheck and accidentally went through with bottles of water. It didn't make it through.

11. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    Why would you bother taking ice through the line? You could just go to the bar or fast food joint and ask for a cup once you’re through security.

12. joestein

joestein TUG Member

I have put ice in a Ziploc and brought it through security. I have done it a few times. I use it to keep food that I will eat on the plane cold.

13. AJCts411

AJCts411 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Sunset x 2
    Remember when flying was enjoyable? They provided you with food, drinks, smiles, service...all included in the price of a ticket. Now passengers are packing ice on a plane so they can have a bite, without paying $25.00 for a stale sandwich.

14. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

The airports I routinely go through no longer have little food malls where you can get your own fountain drink and ice. I think they got rid of them for the precise reason that a lot of people were “borrowing” ice.

15. joestein

joestein TUG Member

It is not just the food part. Bringing bagels and cream cheese gives me something to do on the plane to distract me from how long it takes to get where we are going.

It can take me 45 minutes to cut 4 bagels, spread out some cream cheese and lox with a crappy plastic knife. I draw it out as long as I can.

16. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    How do they even let you past TSA with cream cheese, they confiscated my Marmite and it was in a sealed jar, the b********s!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

17. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

It it's in a container that is small enough they'll let it through. Once I bought a salad pre TSA check. They had me put the small container of dressing in the bag with my other liquids and went right through.