TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

SWAP - Big Island and Kauai

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Suesue1738, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Suesue1738

Suesue1738 TUG Member

My 80 year old mother, my recently retired sister, a dear friend, and myself will be staying at Kohala Suites on the Big Island, October 20-27, 2018, and then at The Point at Poipu in Kauai from Oct 27-Nov 3. My sister has never been to any of the islands and the rest of us have never been to these 2 islands.

Does anyone know if these resorts have a place to leave behind beach chairs, toys, etc that people can't take back with them?

Or is anyone leaving one of these resorts on October 20/27 and want to "donate them to a good home for a week"?

Also, any tuggers coming to one of these islands when we are leaving, we could donate them again....

P.S. I saw the sticky up above, but the listings were really old. Can we start a new one?

P.S. Again: If you have suggestions that we absolutely MUST do while we are there, please share!!

silentg likes this.
  2. NiteMaire

NiteMaire Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grand Château,
    The Colonies at Williamsburg
    We stayed at Bay Club and Kohala Suites in Aug. The front desk clerk said sometimes others leave items (none when we were there).

For things to do, check out this thread (several tuggers gave me suggestions and I documented our trips):
    https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...commendation-experience-from-waikoloa.277618/

3. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

The SWAP thread is an ongoing thread, and the most recent post was in August - 2 mos ago. You probably only saw the first page - to see the newest page, click on the number 26.

Fall is a slower time for travel to Hawaii, so we tend to see more summer posts in that thread - especially with families traveling to Hawaii and looking for beach equipment.

If you click on the SWAP thread, and then click REPLY, you can post your dates/resort/etc.

4. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Have a fun time!

5. JAbbott

JAbbott TUG Member

Probably the best dinner out is at the Beach House on Kauai. Book a sunset dinner. Book it early, as soon as you get there, the sunset hour reservations fill quickly. It is not an inexpensive meal. But you get what you paid for. The restaurant basically stops as everyone pauses to watch the sun dip below the horizon. Magical. And darn fine eating!

The beach at Lawai, where the beach house is, is also one of the better spots for snorkelling at.

6. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

I'm assuming your mother is reasonably mobile for an 80-year old. I suggest a hike on the Maha'ulepo shoreline. There are no hills; just a trail on the coast along a stretch of stunning coastline. I've told my family they can scatter my ashes there if they wish.

slip likes this.
  7. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    Here's some more pictures from along the Maha'ulepo shoreline: https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/Poipu-Rocks-and-Water/

Tuesdays at 10 AM, the Point at Poipu has a free guided walk around the grounds. The guide will share the cultural history behind some of the many plants and flowers: https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/Point-at-Poipu-Resort-Walk/

The guided (but expensive) Allerton Garden Tour is also an easy walk: https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/2013-Allerton-Garden-Tour/

8. Suesue1738

Suesue1738 TUG Member

Yes, she is! Thank you for the tip! We will do it!!

9. Suesue1738

Suesue1738 TUG Member

Your pics are amazing!! I love rock formations and archs! We’ve already seen about a dozen sea turtles and we just arrived today!! I could sit and watch them all day! But we will take the walk/tour! Thank you for the tip!!

slip likes this.
  10. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

There are two coastal stretches. One starts on the east side of Shipwreck Beach, past the Hyatt Hotel. I usually refer to that area as the Makewehi Cliffs, after the name used in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. It appears to me that is the area shown in your photos.

The Makewehi hike has a bit of a climb at the beginning, as the trails rise to the top of the cliffs. Though there are many routes along, the cliffs, they are all on the top of the cliffs or on the side of the cliffs. At times in the past there have been erosion issues, and parts of the area have been fenced off.

The second area, which is what I refer to as Maha'alepu, starts at the end of the road at Gillin's beach. This area is almost entirely flat, more wild, and, for an 80-year person, involves much easier hiking.

11. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    This pictures are about evenly divided between east and west of the Hyatt. All of them are west of Gilllin's Beach. The cliffs directly in front of the Point at Poipu include a small blow hole and a sea arch at the far west end. Just follow along the Great Wall of Poipu.

Here's some pictures of Mahaulepu Beach:

https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/Mahaulepu-Beach-Kauai

Be advised though, that the road to Maha'alepu Beach is very rough at times, and full of pot holes and protruding rocks. Driving down it in anything without high ground clearance is not advised and probably not covered by your rental agreement.