• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVV vs SVR

SeattleJohn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,

My wife and I are going to treat her family of ~24 people to a week in Orlando. Right now we're debating between SVV and SVR. I think we're leaning toward SVR but don't know the best phase or building to reserve.

Here are some more details:
>9 kids ten yo and younger (8 boys, 1 girl)
>Most of the days will be hitting the amusement parks and water parks (WDW, Universal, etc.), but we will have at least one pool day at the resort.
>We'd like to have a decent restaurant or two for eating and a place to get drinks in the evenings

Thanks in advance!

John

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Hello Tuggers,

My wife and I are going to treat her family of ~24 people to a week in Orlando. Right now we're debating between SVV and SVR. I think we're leaning toward SVR but don't know the best phase or building to reserve.

Here are some more details:
>9 kids ten yo and younger (8 boys, 1 girl)
>Most of the days will be hitting the amusement parks and water parks (WDW, Universal, etc.), but we will have at least one pool day at the resort.
>We'd like to have a decent restaurant or two for eating and a place to get drinks in the evenings

Thanks in advance!

John

I haven't stayed at SVV so I can't comment there; however, we just got back from spending two weeks at SVR. The first week (included Christmas) was with a similar sized group (23 people) with 9 kids (two teenagers and the rest age 11 and under) in three units - the second week we scaled back to only having 8 people over two 2 BR units. The resort was quite accommodating and was able to get us fairly close together (they won't do this too far in advance - we called the week prior). Two units were in the same Lakes phase building and one unit was a short walk in the Fountains phase (they are right next to each other).

In terms of location to WDW and Universal I would definitely prefer SVR. Access to the I-4 makes it incredibly quick to get in and out of most of the WDW parks relative to SVV where you will have to go through several traffic lights and or construction depending on your route (Vineland Avenue might look good on a map; however, it is completely clogged with outlet mall traffic). We actually were able to watch the fireworks in Epcot which started at 9 pm and were in our villa at 9:38 pm. To get to the WDW parking lots it was a maximum of 10 minutes in the morning.

In terms of the pools they are quite decent. The kids seemed to prefer the busier fountains pool but the lakes pool is relatively calm, fairly shallow and easy to keep track of smaller kids - there are also basketball and volleyball courts available in the immediate area. The main activity areas (mini-golf etc) are nearer to the Cascades areas, but those units are a bit smaller. It's a short walk or quick drive over to the other phase if desired.

We've stayed in both the Fountains and Lakes units previously. The 2BR setup for the Lakes gives a bit more privacy between the master and the second bedroom relative to the fountains which share a common hallway. The kitchen area in the lakes seems to be a bit smaller than the fountains; however, there is more counter space and the table seats 6 vs. only seating 5 in the fountains. We do like the appliances and the showers in the fountains a bit better than the lakes as they are a bit newer. Overall, we prefer the Lakes over the Fountains; however, you'll want to ensure you have a building that isn't on the perimeter as I've heard these can get a bit noisy from the I-4.

Dining at the SVR is a bit of a mixed bag. The Tiki Bar at the Fountains activity centre is quite good and makes pretty good drinks and burgers etc. Zimmie's needs to be rethought in my opinion - the food is good with abundant quantities and good kids options; however, the service is generally terrible (45 minutes to get our food). Our waitress spent more time complaining to the hostess about her alcoholic father than making sure we were taken care of - fortunately the manager (Khalid was his name I believe) took over our table after seeing our orders going wrong and things looked up from that point (one person's order had been given to another table so everyone had eaten by the time they fixed it).

That said, there are a lot of off-resort dining options within a 10 minute drive that are easily accessed - again probably better access than SVV.

Hopefully someone can give you an opinion on SVV.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first week (included Christmas) was with a similar sized group (23 people) with 9 kids (two teenagers and the rest age 11 and under) in three units - the second week we scaled back to only having 8 people over two 2 BR units.

You had 23 people in 3 units???

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Can't comment on SVR, but I will say SVV benefits from being a bit newer. While all the units were renovated at SVR, the villages' infrastructure is just all newer. There are elevators in every building, newer amenities, more recently built villas etc. The St. Augustine phase is huge, so I'm sure they could accommodate most of your group in there or in nearby Amelia. Plus, while still big, SVV is smaller than SVR, meaning less distance if your rooms are in different phases. That phase has a large pool with a waterslide and interactive waterslide: great for kids. The Bella phase is older, so the units are not as modern, but it also has a very large pool and a lively atmosphere that would be fun for kids and big parties. I would probably give SVR the leg up on location for you, considering your plans for the parks. Plus, I would agree that the traffic is pretty bad right around SVV.

In terms of dining, I wouldn't expect too much from either resort, but SVR definitely has more options. SVV just renovated its main restaurant and expanded the bar, and they have separate pool bars at the main pool and the St. Augustine pool as well. But the food is nothing to write home about.

I'm sure you will enjoy either resort; have a great trip!

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
With so many people, one thing that would be important for my family is number of beds vs. sofa beds.

In some of the SVR second bedrooms, there are two twins (sleeping 6 total) while others have two doubles (sleeps 8). In one of the stickies the bed configuration should be detailed for each section of the resort. As SVV is newer, some of the 2 bedroom lockoff units have two real beds and two sofa beds in each of their separate living spaces.

In my family, the kids put up a stink if they have to sleep on a sofa bed too often, so I look for room configurations which maximizes real beds over sofa beds. YMMV.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You had 23 people in 3 units???

Yep - 8/8/7 - although in fairness this was only for four nights at it's peak.

In our unit it was wife, myself and four kids (ages 11 and under). I had two of my cousins (on just starting grad school the other a university sophomore) both of whom are in their early 20's who crashed with us for four nights on the sofa. My sister and her family stayed with my parents in their unit plus two extended relatives on the sofa (again only for four nights). My BIL has three kids plus two relatives who stayed with him for a total of seven in that unit.

It was cozy, but definitely would not recommend having 8 adults in the same unit.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In my family, the kids put up a stink if they have to sleep on a sofa bed too often, so I look for room configurations which maximizes real beds over sofa beds. YMMV.

That's funny - three of our kids fight for the chance to sleep on the "transformer bed" (you also have to add some cool sound effects when opening it) - not surprisingly our daughter is more than happy to sleep in the "real" bed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2BR L/O in Lakes Phase is the largest, sleeps 8 and is more than 1400 sq ft. If you are exchanging, you can look out for the specifications that says sleeps 8. I think Cascades 2BR L/O also sleeps 8 but is a little smaller.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We're taking our clan - 20 people as of right now, more or less when I get final confirmation from everyone - in April to SVR. We banked some of last year's SOs, and combined with this year's, plus an Explorer package we stupidly purchased, to get three 2 BR, and one premium 1 bed (for US, natch). We'll have 4 adult children, plus their spouses, and one single, plus 9 grandchildren ages 6 months to 11 years. We've only ever stayed in the Cascades section, and quite like it for its proximity to everything, so that's where we're hoping to be placed. I am planning to submit a Special Request online about a month before, and then follow up with a phone call a week before, to request our villas be assigned as close as possible.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're taking our clan - 20 people as of right now, more or less when I get final confirmation from everyone - in April to SVR. We banked some of last year's SOs, and combined with this year's, plus an Explorer package we stupidly purchased, to get three 2 BR, and one premium 1 bed (for US, natch). We'll have 4 adult children, plus their spouses, and one single, plus 9 grandchildren ages 6 months to 11 years.

Wow :eek: I guess people vacation very differently.

You're closer than the earlier post of 23 peopke in 3 units to us with I think we have somewhere between 25 and 30 people spread across 11 studios and 1BRs on an upcoming holiday.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Wow :eek: I guess people vacation very differently.

You're closer than the earlier post of 23 peopke in 3 units to us with I think we have somewhere between 25 and 30 people spread across 11 studios and 1BRs on an upcoming holiday.

Yes, the kids (adults) are very close, and the cousins even closer. There's little distinction between mommy and aunt, and daddy and uncle, and even close family friends are just like family. Also, we're not looking to spend a whole lot of time in the villas, but spending most of our days at Disney parks or out at the resort pools. I have a giant spreadsheet that allots everyone's sleeping space, and all married couples do have their own private room. The single adult may be sharing a two queen bedroom with a couple of little girls, and she's thrilled with that. TBH, it's probably more family closeness than I consider to be a relaxing vacation (I grew up in a small family), but it's something we want to do for our collective of kids - and can now with our timeshares. Next year it's back to just the two of us, in some exotic, tropical locale. :banana::wave::whooopie: