TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Suze Orman wants young people to stop “peeing” away millions of dollars on coffee.

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by T_R_Oglodyte, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

She is living with us until she finds an apartment. I don't use a coffee maker. I make coffee one cup at a time with an old fashioned drip system. And no thanks to Keurig. When she gets her own place she can decide if she wants to make coffee at home to bring to work.

2. Brett

Brett Guest

perhaps "interesting" but not quite the "truth" in this post-truth era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suze_Orman

unless you consider wikipedia part of the "scam"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Starbucks coffees are reasonably priced, plain coffee, not the ones with all the sugary stuff added to them.

I personally at times get a pour over, decaf strong black, freshly made as you wait. No one makes it better.

Icc5 and Travel991 like this.
  4. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    We must really be idiots - we drink Philz Coffee (more expensive than Starbucks).
    We have a Jura Ena Micro5 at home.

Of course, for some people there are more important things than money.
    Like good coffee, wine and beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    There is a big gap there when she borrowed $52K from friends to open a restaurant, what happened? The next paragraph she lost it investing with Merrill Lynch. Is it normal to invest money you intend to use to start a business?

We don’t spend on store coffee but don’t ask about my addiction to Robecks smoothes lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

I buy Starbucks Sumatra and Komodo Dragon whole bean. Those two are among the few coffees I've found that can take a dark roast and be brewed at the strength I enjoy without turning unpleasantly bitter. If I'm meeting someone at Starbucks I'll usually order a simple drip coffee, but I do occasionally treat my Spanish tutor to a latter when we meet at Starbucks.

I guess Suzie Ormand would like me - I never been able to see the sense in paying latte prices for what is essentially a cup of coffee with added things to make it caloric.

7. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

I love mocha tesora at Philz! They used to make this delicious Tesora brownie but no more, at least not at the Cupertino Store :(

Icc5 likes this.
  8. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
    Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    Let's jump in the waaaaaaayy back machine!

Legally_Blonde9 likes this.
  9. bbodb1

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    Some someone poured it wrong and you make them do it again???? :D:D:D:D

Signed,

A non coffee drinker (obviously!)

Panina likes this.
  10. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    Don drinks Dunkin' Donuts coffee, from the local shop or using the Keurig here at home. During our drives back-and-forth to Hilton Head he now knows where he can find a Dunkin's so our stops are always at the same places. I drink hot tea and have yet to find anyplace that I can buy it where they use tea-only carafes to brew it, so I skip the bitter coffee taste that pollutes every cup of tea except the ones I make myself. During our long drives I make a thermos-full and ration it, or I buy bottled iced tea.

When I was a twenty-something working in Boston I bought lunch every day at the cafe run by the YWCA - they had an awesome salad bar and great sandwiches at near-cost, and the profits went to the women who needed the services the Y provided. Don sometimes brought from home, sometimes didn't, depending on whether he liked the leftovers from supper the night before.

Young people these days on the whole aren't any different than we were at their age when it comes to wasting a few bucks on unnecessary frills, and from what I see with my thirty-something kids they are facing far more challenges than we did at their age (during the Dark Ages of the late 80's/early 90's.) My kids have begun their families and are living in starter homes but I know that it was harder for them to get this far than it was for us, evidenced by the fact that they're older at this stage of the game than we were at the same stage. Just look at the expenses involved with the internet and communications - we resisted cable TV for as long as possible, paying a +/- $20 monthly telephone bill and watching 9 free local channels; they pay upwards of $200 for bundle packages or streaming services that include all sorts of extras but would cost more if they chose only the necessary basics on an a-la-carte menu. Food, housing, everything is proportionally more expensive for them than it was for us. The bulk of their retirement will be on them; we're nearing retirement age as the last generation who will collect at least a portion of our retirement income from 100%-employer funded plans.

Suze Orman is an extremist who preys on people suffering financial woes that go far beyond the price of a cup of coffee every day. As you can tell, it bugs me when she and other people talk about this next generation being wasteful or feeling a sense of entitlement. ;)

SteelerGal and klpca like this.
  11. bbodb1

Resorts Owned:
    All I can say is - Thank God for McAlister's!

Tea is ALWAYS the way to predict whether a restaurant will be good or bad because to make good tea takes considerable effort and a commitment to cleaning the equipment regularly!

And good water!

Beck02 and SueDonJ like this.
  12. Luanne

Personally I don't like Starbucks coffee. I used to get their flavored lattes until I finally had a latte (no flavor) made with good coffee and realized what was happening. Since then I have not had a cup of Starbucks. We frequent local, independent coffee places here. And so I disagree that no one makes a better pour over than Starbucks. :) I make my own pour overs at home.

13. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    I love Peet’s coffee. We also have a local coffee roaster that I enjoy. Basically I go get coffee with my friends after some bike rides, definitely a social thing. If I’m making the plan it will likely be Peet’s but I’ll go to Starbucks if that where we’re going...

I love everything about coffee. I make drip coffee every day at home and drink it black. I love socializing with friends at a coffee shop, usually a weekly thing but it could be more frequent, depending on what people want to do. Coffee is part of living life well for me.

Ditto for wine with dinner, cocktails out, or even a restaurant iced tea if I feel like living large.

LisaH and Legally_Blonde9 like this.
  14. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Obviously a documentary video is going to be biased for or against whatever the subject is, but I am not sure what in the Wikipedia article specifically disputes the video. Perhaps you should provide specific examples from the video and article that contradict each other?

15. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    We should never try to validate someone based on what they spend their money on. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars to climb Everest, I think that is a waste of money. I spend money on timeshares, others think that is a waste of money. I don't judge them, they shouldn't judge me.

Patri, Travel991, presley and 3 others like this.
  16. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    100% agree!

Travel991 likes this.
  17. Brett

Brett Guest

perhaps one should ask - did Suze Orman actually "scam the world" and cause the 2008 great recession ?
    or

(more likely) is this a hack "documentary" full of out-of-context quotes and opinions by a disgruntled ex-associate ?
    https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...st-criticism-of-suze-orman-ive-ever-seen.aspx

18. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I don't like Suze Orman one bit, but extremist? Really...

George

19. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
    We have a machine at work which makes coffee on demand. Grinds the beans and brews the coffee a serving at a time. Free. It uses Starbucks beans.

At home I like Peet's Major Dickason's Blend.

I drink my coffee black.

20. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    Not in the political sense! I mean in that she suggests removing every last cent of discretionary spending from your budget, no matter if she's working with people who are seriously in dire financial straits or people like the younger generation who she says should stop buying lattes. Hers is an extreme position that works for the people who need it most, but every young person out there treating himself to a cuppa doesn't need to be chastised for it. :)

klpca and bluehende like this.
  21. bbodb1

Resorts Owned:

Validate? No, I agree with that. I find what a person chooses to spend their money on quite interesting (perhaps read as revealing).

But what we spend our money on does define us to an extent. It shows our priorities (for better or worse) and what we do (or do not) value.

22. geekette

geekette Guest

...Reason is because she gets up very early to commute to work, doesn't have time to make coffee in the morning and uses it to wake up

That doesn't make sense to me. Takes longer to stop off for coffee. Most coffee makers these days can be set to start at whatever time. Can also just get it ready night before and hit button before getting in shower.

That said, people can spend their money on anything they want. I dislike when some other party decides what are appropriate expenditures when it isn't their wallet. Life is short, enjoy today. If that includes a fine coffee, go for it. I'm good with my Mr Coffee and Folgers. Probably some things I spend on that others wouldn't.

23. Luanne

No, it doesn't take her longer. She takes a commute bus to work, there is a place to get coffee right by where she works. I don't use a coffee maker, therefore she doesn't have access to one. She may decide when she moves into her own place that making her coffee and bringing it it something she will do.

Didn't you just do that?

24. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

At the end of the day, one's spendings is prioritized to what is important to the person. In our previous work life, we knew of several people who were on food stamps and getting welfare checks who had nails done, i.e. acrylic nails, frequently. Heck if I were them, I would be saving that money on something that was a neccessity instead of frivolous. Also, acrylic nails could harbor germs in which we disallowed for our employees to have in their line of work. On a personal basis, we are all different and that's what makes the world go around.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  25. geekette

geekette Guest

Nope, I was confused, and had nothing to do with spending money. The part about no coffee maker at home was missing. As was public transport for commute. You said she took her lunch every day, she clearly has time for that, so it was hard to understand how making coffee was some onerous time burden. Now I get it! it wasn't at all about time, it was about No Coffee Maker.

If I were to get coffee between home and work, it would involve taking my car off route to get it. Since driving is my normal, always has been, I read through that lens. It would add hours to my commute to attempt the bus, too many transfers, no way I could wait that long for coffee!! I need Wake Up before I leave home.