• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Survey Questions - recommendations?

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Primarily US destinations - we occasionally travel overseas, but most travel is in North America, Caribbean, or Central America.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Trade almost all the time. That said, having a home resort in south Florida that included day use privileges would be very appealing, if such a thing exists.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Honestly don't care, we just enjoy getting away. We like big cities, mountainside cabins, and everything in between.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

80% of our travel is just the two of us, where even a hotel room is acceptable, but being able to get a much larger unit when we want to travel with family and friends is pretty important to us.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Anytime, though we tend not to travel during holidays because we are paid handsomely to work them. We avoid peak season due to flight loads.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Technically, yes - but realistically, we only take one or two week-long trips a year that are bid that far out. The vast majority of our trips are a few nights, planned 1-8 weeks out.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Usually not. We primarily get away for 2-4 nights, typically midweek. We only take one or two week-long trips a year - those are the trips we usually need a much larger unit.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

We are really, really not picky. We camp as often as we stay in nice hotels, and happily stay pretty much anywhere without bedbugs.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Technically no limit, but if it starts approaching the cost of a new RV and tow vehicle, my partner will question my sanity. So, uh, less than 50k? I don't want to spend that much, even on a whole slew of ownerships, but price isn't a deal breaker if the value is there.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Well, we spent almost 10k last year on hotels and airbnb stays. I could see us being willing to spend that as a lump sum each year if we were able to avoid hotels completely, but that doesn't seem realistic. The dollar amount really isn't an issue, though, we're a DINK household with plenty of disposable income.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Very much so, in that I am a hotel and airline points addict. No problems setting my alarm to score newly released award seats on planes, jumping through hoops to meet promotion terms, or constantly checking refundable prices to grab price reductions. On trips themselves, though, we're very go-with-the-flow. What could ruin a vacation for some detail freaks is just another adventure for us.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes, though ideally we would choose ownerships that would be easier to give away or even sell.

Anyway, I've been reading extensively here and now know just enough to know that we don't know much of anything. We figure we're most interested in points programs, because of our frequent short (last minute) trips. I'm quite lost as to how the different 'closed' programs work for resale purchases of points, though. Housekeeping fees may even make the whole idea less appealing, though after a couple disastrous airbnb experiences we'd likely be willing to pay some amount extra to avoid similar issues in the future. In my head we'd end up with several properties in more than one program.

We are tempted to start with an RCI points membership with a low mf to point ratio, and build from there. Their low priced week-long getaways might work well for us, even for shorter stays.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated!! Thank you for reading our missive ;-)

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sorry, missed your post. I'll reply a little later...busy now. Patience!
Welcome to TUG

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Take a look at the hgvc system. Being you prefer mid week 2-4 days you would get good value as less ponts are required mid week. I am going to make an assumption you live in south Florida as you stated day privileges. I am not aware any of the hgvc having them but there will be many resorts within the system that you can easily go to in driving distance. You can also use the RCI portal to book a few days at resorts other then hgvc.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Vacation Village in Weston, would be my choice if we were to buy another timeshare. We stay there often, it’s in South Florida and affiliated with other VV resorts and RCI.
Good Luck and welcome to TUG.
Silentg

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
RCI certainly has a lot of locations (I'm assuming you have checked out their map) - but you might want to confirm they have quality resorts in areas you want to visit.
In our experience, RCI resorts vary considerably in terms of room quality.
Wyndham (more experience with) and WorldMark (less experience with) seem to offer a more consistent quality from resort to resort.
Are those factors important to you?

Based on very little experience with WorldMark, if your future destinations align with their resort locations I've read a LOT about people maximizing their WorldMark accounts to find stays like you describe in the OP. You may want to consider WorldMark here as well.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, east coast, short stays.
If money is 'not an object' or at least of lower concern......Marriott and HGVC both have points programs. Both are high quality and have ample presence in N America. But, they are not cheap. Otherwise...

MY REPLIES ARE DOWN HERE IN RED!!!! ----VVVVV

Primarily US destinations - we occasionally travel overseas, but most travel is in North America, Caribbean, or Central America.

Ok, very well suited to timeshares.......ones with wide coverage or access to II or RCI

Trade almost all the time. That said, having a home resort in south Florida that included day use privileges would be very appealing, if such a thing exists.

Trading. Ok, requires a good trader with strong II or RCI trade power.....or points exchange. Marriott, HGVC, Hyatt, VSE are mostly great traders....but expensive to trade unless trading to like resorts. Marriott, HGVC, Hyatt, VSE and Wyndham have internal trade/reservations systems (via points) but HGVC, Hyatt are limited in destinations. Wyndham has large number of resorts (a bit lower quality). access to RCI and more affordable. Availability could be an issue during prime seasons and at prime locations.
Day use: some resorts in Florida do have day use. M. Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando for instance. I know that other Florida resorts have this...but too complicated to pick through thousands of resorts without more data. Pick a city/area and maybe you could nail it down. Ton's of good resorts in S. Florida (what ever you call S. Florida).

Honestly don't care, we just enjoy getting away. We like big cities, mountainside cabins, and everything in between.

Then you need access to a lot of resorts (like Marriot or Wyndham) or a good exchange (II or RCI).

80% of our travel is just the two of us, where even a hotel room is acceptable, but being able to get a much larger unit when we want to travel with family and friends is pretty important to us.

Complicated answer: smaller units are easy to exchange/rent/getaways etc.... points go a long way with small units, short stays and shoulder/off season. Large units during prime season are expensive to rent and/or require a LOT of points. There are ways to exchange and get BIG units for small upgrade fees...but the total answer is complicated. Would need more info. There are ways to borrow/rent points in some systems.

Anytime, though we tend not to travel during holidays because we are paid handsomely to work them. We avoid peak season due to flight loads.

Then you can really benefit from timeshares and exchange systems. There is always a TON of availability before and after the 'peak' seasons. Great deals can be had--especially during the last 59 days before check-in (or 45). Too big an answer for this space, but here is where your power is multiplied.

Technically, yes - but realistically, we only take one or two week-long trips a year that are bid that far out. The vast majority of our trips are a few nights, planned 1-8 weeks out.

So, timeshares are classically structured on the 'week' concept. That is, 7 days. There are alternatives (point systems) and exchange opportunities for shortstays. Depends on the system, exchange etc.... Some opportunities (depends on how 'picky' you are about location/quality) are cheap enough to simply rent for the week and stay for 3 or 4 nites (remember: if you check-in early on day 2 and check-out late on 4, you're actually using 3 days for 2 nites etc......)

Usually not. We primarily get away for 2-4 nights, typically midweek. We only take one or two week-long trips a year - those are the trips we usually need a much larger unit.

See above: points systems or shortstays via exchange are an option--or cheap weeks that are so inexpensive, you can use 3-4 days and toss the rest.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? We are really, really not picky. We camp as often as we stay in nice hotels, and happily stay pretty much anywhere without bedbugs.

Hotel brands (Marriott, HGVC, Hyatt, VSE) are mostly top-quality; 3-star plus in most cases. Other brands (Wyndham, independents etc...) can vary widely.
For the most part, timeshares are not hotels and tend to be a higher quality than the average roadside motel. IMO.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Technically no limit, but if it starts approaching the cost of a new RV and tow vehicle, my partner will question my sanity. So, uh, less than 50k? I don't want to spend that much, even on a whole slew of ownerships, but price isn't a deal breaker if the value is there.

Sorry, but the answer is too vague to really give a good reply. You could easily spend $40k buying points (and $4000 a year Maintenance Fees) and have lots of vacation to use. Very high quality vacation.. Or....you could spend under $10k for Wyndham CWA points, have access to RCI and a lot of vacation. Difference styles and different difficulty levels to use..... The VALUE options are NOT Marriott/Hyatt points and probably not HGVC either.

Well, we spent almost 10k last year on hotels and airbnb stays. I could see us being willing to spend that as a lump sum each year if we were able to avoid hotels completely, but that doesn't seem realistic. The dollar amount really isn't an issue, though, we're a DINK household with plenty of disposable income.

I would guess...given all the variables....that your MF's for a good usage would be between $1200 and $4000. Too many variables to be precise.

Very much so, in that I am a hotel and airline points addict. No problems setting my alarm to score newly released award seats on planes, jumping through hoops to meet promotion terms, or constantly checking refundable prices to grab price reductions. On trips themselves, though, we're very go-with-the-flow. What could ruin a vacation for some detail freaks is just another adventure for us.

Good. You need to be to be effective in TS. The hunt is half the thrill for me.....

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes, though ideally we would choose ownerships that would be easier to give away or even sell.

So: Some ownerships typically have value and tend to maintain a resale value. Thus they are easier to buy/sell. Some patience may be required....or the use of a broker and the typical fee (usually about $1500).

Anyway, I've been reading extensively here and now know just enough to know that we don't know much of anything. We figure we're most interested in points programs, because of our frequent short (last minute) trips. I'm quite lost as to how the different 'closed' programs work for resale purchases of points, though. Housekeeping fees may even make the whole idea less appealing, though after a couple disastrous airbnb experiences we'd likely be willing to pay some amount extra to avoid similar issues in the future. In my head we'd end up with several properties in more than one program.

We are tempted to start with an RCI points membership with a low mf to point ratio, and build from there. Their low priced week-long getaways might work well for us, even for shorter stays.

There are some classic (legacy) resorts in S. Florida that used to offer day use and are on the lower end of the cost spectrum. Name your city and others can comment. Most of these resorts would be internal trade and/or RCI. Maybe some in Interval. This could give you SF day use and a decent RCI trader.

If you're looking to travel outside of Florida....Worldmark is a great resource for access to RCI and/or Interval. They are cheap, flexible and buy/sell very easily. If you're interested in resorts NOT in Florida (they have a weak east coast presence) they have a lot of resort access in the US (and 1 Caribbean ?) Best is the ability to snatch some last minute exchanges from Interval for a great price! Would make an excellent "2nd" resort (or first).

good luck

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated!! Thank you for reading our missive ;-)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Vacation Village in Weston, would be my choice if we were to buy another timeshare. We stay there often, it’s in South Florida and affiliated with other VV resorts and RCI.
Good Luck and welcome to TUG.
Silentg

Do you know if any of the VV resorts have day use?

Reaction score
So much appreciation for all these responses. I stumbled onto a particularly good deal for a Grandview 122k ownership, and threw caution to the wind and just bought it. I'm a little surprised at myself, but that's one of the only ownerships I've researched extensively, and I feel like I know what I'm getting myself into there. As I understand it, I'll be able to book midweek stays for 12% of the weekly rate, per night, with <$40 a night in exchange fees, plus housekeeping charges. We're also hopeful that we'll find some good last minute weekly deals for a pittance of points plus the $210 exchange fee.

I've done some research into HGVC, and I do see several properties with low maintenance fees that seem to result in pretty low cost stays. It seems a good bit harder to find those ownerships at a good initial buyin, unsurprisingly. I'll keep my eyes peeled, though, and try to work out my maximum price for each. These properties do seem more like something I could always rent out for more than my maintenance fees, which is one limit I'd like to hold to. While we don't care much about the quality level of our personal stays, retaining at least enough value to get rid of them when the time comes is important to me.

Both Wyndham and Worldmark intrigue me greatly, but I haven't looked into them with any amount of depth. They do seem to be up more my alley value wise - aside from major urban trips, we aren't the type to spend a fortune on accommodations. I'll be back after supper to multiquote individual responses...

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do you know if any of the VV resorts have day use?
I don’t own there but I’m pretty sure they have day use. We have stayed at Mizner Place before which is a sister resort, and we went over to VV at Weston and used the facilities, pool etc.
Silentg