• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Super newb - what should we do?!

twarren

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Writing to you from the beautiful Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Super happy to find this forum and make my donation to keep it operating. There is so much information you need to know to do time-sharing right. Would love your feedback on what we should do!

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Yes - we live in Charlotte, NC and spend time at least once a year in Orlando and Williamsburg.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We have no home resort - we have always rented timeshares and I have absolutely refused to ever attend a timeshare presentation

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

We have nothing to trade, but we go to Williamsburg and Orlando regularly, my parents own at the Royal Islander in St. Martin (RCI deeded that I will eventually inherit). The kids are getting older so we are open to more adventuring, new locations etc.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Family of 5 but often vacation with friends, up to 20.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Kids are in school for the next 7 years, but we do lots of long weekends, four dayers, etc.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Usually.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

Not sure, Bonnett Creek is right up our alley. Grand Floridian is a bit to fancy for our taste.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Have no desire to pay too much up front, so, close to zero.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

We are thinking about starting small, 60-100 bucks a month, 750-1200 a year.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

My wife is.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

:( yep got it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep doing what you're doing. Renting. Perhaps you can use access through the parent's ownership & membership in their exchange co. to access last minute bargain rentals and getaways. You live in an area of lots of drive-to TS locations. Your TUG membership gives you access to reviews, and distressed & sightings (thank you) so you can check out resorts before you pull the trigger. Often, rentals are close to the cost of underlying resort fees, so by not tying up money in buy-in cost you are just limited by your own saving habit.

We like to TUG!

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Congrats on your successful rental pattern. I have no particular suggestions at the moment ... but really loved some of your replies to the survey. Well done ... I'm sure others will chime in with great discussion. Welcome to TUG! :)
2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
We have no home resort - we have always rented timeshares and I have absolutely refused to ever attend a timeshare presentation

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
Not sure, Bonnett Creek is right up our alley. Grand Floridian is a bit to fancy for our taste.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Have no desire to pay too much up front, so, close to zero.

This had me laughing. Really great reply and a good 'starting point' for this conversation.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Welcome to TUG!
Go to Marketplace for buying, selling, renting. Try renting first. Don’t buy a timeshare while on vacation.
Good Luck!
Silentg

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Is what your parents own a points week or a fixed week in RCI? There are timeshares being given away here on TUG. Check out the Bargain Deals in the Buying, Selling, Renting forum. Some are given away and sometimes the owners even pay or split the closing costs. Look on eBay too. If they have a fixed week I would look for a three bedroom in a high demand week as it should be an excellent trader with RCI. If they have a points week then you would need to make sure that what you're looking at buying is also a points week. If you were to get something you might be able to add your parents to that deed along with yourself and be able to share their RCI account. If you can do that then you wouldn't have the expense of paying the annual fee for your own account.

twarren

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is what your parents own a points week or a fixed week in RCI? There are timeshares being given away here on TUG. Check out the Bargain Deals in the Buying, Selling, Renting forum. Some are given away and sometimes the owners even pay or split the closing costs. Look on eBay too. If they have a fixed week I would look for a three bedroom in a high demand week as it should be an excellent trader with RCI. If they have a points week then you would need to make sure that what you're looking at buying is also a points week. If you were to get something you might be able to add your parents to that deed along with yourself and be able to share their RCI account. If you can do that then you wouldn't have the expense of paying the annual fee for your own account.

Thanks Jan. They have two deeded weeks near mid August. I recall Dad telling me they have been offered a points conversion but he never responds to the emails. If we ever buy it would be great to use in tandem with these weeks but not crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twarren

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep doing what you're doing. Renting. Perhaps you can use access through the parent's ownership & membership in their exchange co. to access last minute bargain rentals and getaways. You live in an area of lots of drive-to TS locations. Your TUG membership gives you access to reviews, and distressed & sightings (thank you) so you can check out resorts before you pull the trigger. Often, rentals are close to the cost of underlying resort fees, so by not tying up money in buy-in cost you are just limited by your own saving habit.

We like to TUG!

Jim

Thanks Jim, we have been reluctant to buy, I guess that’s why I’m surfing these boards. From what I’ve gathered you really need to know the system to not get taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, we have been reluctant to buy, I guess that’s why I’m surfing these boards. From what I’ve gathered you really need to know the system to not get taken.
It helps to know the strengths of systems relative to where you want to use them- which is why DeniseM designed the questionnaire. Most important, of course is our 4 word mantra, "Buy Resale, Save Thou$and$". All the rest is details.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Family of 5 is easy to accommodate but traveling with up to 20 is what will makes buying a timeshare a no for you if that is the amount of people you want to travel with you.

To stay close to zero cost and to keep your maintenance fees in your range and having good trade value is a harder find but doable.

There is a timeshare called Chetola within a few hours of you in the Blowing Rock area of NC. I believe your kids are out of school by then. Great resort and town for a family if you use it. The association sells weeks for only a few hundred dollars. There is a fixed week 23, 2 bedroom, where the maintenance fees was $717 for 2018. Its TDI in interval is 150, the highest.

I know about this week and resort as I almost purchased it. There is also a week 22 in the same unit available with a little lower TDI but still great. This can give you 2 weeks in a row in the same unit. I ultimately did not buy these units because I found 1 bedrooms from an owner instead. Being I will use and not trade and I was not concerned about trading the lower maintenance fee of $577 was a better choice for me.

This resort can also accommodated the additional people you might travel with if you use your week. There are rentals from timeshare owners, condo owners and a hotel that are part of the community.