• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunrise vs. Valdoro for Skiing

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
[moved from another thread]

How would you compare Sunrise vs. Valdoro for ski season?

examples include:

ski-in/ski-out
Ski lockers/valet?
free shuttles to slopes and or town, frequency
Accessibility to airport options?
Hot tubs and pools. sufficient space for apres ski? or Full of kids or drunk adults?
Room size
Ability to walk to restaurants/town?
Washer/dryer in studio or 1 bedrooms
Fireplace in studio or 1 bedroom
other considerations?
Which do you prefer?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Great topic! I've been to both during skiing season (once at Sunrise, many times at Valdoro), so I'll give it a shot:

ski-in/ski-out
Sunrise: Short walk across the street to a 2-man slow lift that brings you up a bit and then can access a major base. Can ski back to within 10 feet of the ski valet door of the resort
Valdoro: No, but there is a shuttle that runs constantly and it is only a 1-2 min ride.

Ski lockers/valet?
Sunrise: Small ski valet room to put your boots on, etc., but if I remember correctly they do not store equipment
Valdoro: Nice valet to store both boots and skis (did this change a bit last year?). Also, a full ski shop just off the lobby where you can rent skis, snowboard, buy supplies, clothing.

free shuttles to slopes and or town, frequency
Sunrise: Shuttles to town (did not use, so no experience)
Valdoro: Shuttle available from early morning to late night (some times are dedicated to shuttling to slope only). Free (tips appreciated). They will pick up and drop off almost anywhere in the town.

Sunrise: Easy 1 hour drive from SLC
Valdoro: 2 hour drive, much higher elevation and can be bad driving conditions. During weekends, drive can turn into 4+ hours with traffic.

Hot tubs and pools. sufficient space for apres ski? or Full of kids or drunk adults?
Sunrise: Pool with hot tubs in center courtyard. We were there Spring Break and had no issues w/ unruly behavior. Never crowded.
Valdoro: 2 hot tubs on the balcony (access through fitness center). Across the street is a nice, newly-built pool/hot tub complex with a building for locker rooms that is shared between Valdoro and a couple of condos. Mellow clientele, never had an issue, never crowded. Note: all 2BR Plus units have a private deck w/ an outdoor hot tub for each unit.

Room size
Sunrise: The Plus and Premier units are HUGE. We had a 1BR Premier That had two full baths, huge walk-in closets, a full kitchen w/ large island, table that could seat 8, vaulted ceilings, very large living room. Another time in summer we had a standard 2BR and it was larger than many Hilton 2BRs.
Valdoro: Generally small rooms. Some bedrooms barely have room for the bed(s) and a dresser. Large bathrooms. Smaller kitchens and tables.

Ability to walk to restaurants/town?
Sunrise: Drive or shuttle to Park City. Can walk to ski base area for a few restaurants / shopping.
Valdoro: 1 block walk downhill to downtown Breckenridge. Can easily walk to many restaurants, shopping, etc.

Washer/dryer in studio or 1 bedrooms
Sunrise: W/D in our 1 and 2 BR. Never stayed in studio
Valdoro: No W/D in studio, stacked W/D in all others. Access to common W/D.

Sunrise: not sure
Valdoro: Yes, in all units

other considerations?
- For summertime, Sunrise has A/C and Valdoro does not (if you are ok w/ open windows, that is usually not an issue)
- Altitude: Valdoro is at 9700' and more subject to altitude sickness.
- Parking: Sunrise is mandatory valet (no charge except tips), Valdoro has self-park underground heated parking.
- Valdoro has a great little owners lounge (open to all) with TVs, pool table, full-service bar, comfortable seating. Great place for apres ski.
- Utah has some strange liquor laws. Mostly doesn't affect Park City area much, but for example, I couldn't get a larger-sized margarita with my meal -- they limit the size of the drinks they can sell. Happy Hours seem non-existent.

Which do you prefer?
Is "both" acceptable? Valdoro has a smaller, cozy boutique property feel and Sunrise is more of a resort feel. I would have no hesitation staying at either place.

Kurt

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Valdoro has its own (non-HGVC) website with lots of pictures and videos of the rooms. You can check it out here.

BTW, as of last week, I am now an owner at Valdoro. I picked up a 2-week package of a 1BR Plus unit, one fixed ski week 3, one floating summer Platinum week. Each is worth 6200 points, for a total of 12,400 points. :whooopie:

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Valdoro has its own (non-HGVC) website with lots of pictures and videos of the rooms. You can check it out here.

BTW, as of last week, I am now an owner at Valdoro. I picked up a 2-week package of a 1BR Plus unit, one fixed ski week 3, one floating summer Platinum week. Each is worth 6200 points, for a total of 12,400 points. :whooopie:

Kurt

Congrats! Sounds like a great week you will enjoy.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Sunrise no longer have complimentary shuttle service to other resorts? This was offered about 5 years ago when I was last there. It would stop in town, Park City resort and Deer Valley. Maybe because Park City and the Canyons are now one, they eliminated this service.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am now an owner at Valdoro. I picked up a 2-week package of a 1BR Plus unit, one fixed ski week 3, one floating summer Platinum week. Each is worth 6200 points, for a total of 12,400 points. :whooopie:

Kurt

Can I ask what kind of deal did you get for that purchase?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It would stop in town, Park City resort and Deer Valley.

They really are no longer allowed to drop you off at Deer Valley. We were able to do it 2 years ago with a healthy tip however to the shuttle driver.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Sunrise: Easy 1 hour drive from SLC
Valdoro: 2 hour drive, much higher elevation and can be bad driving conditions. During weekends, drive can turn into 4+ hours with traffic.

Kurt has actually done an excellent job summarizing/comparing between the two places. I would comment that Park City is actually 30-45 mins from the airport.

Sunrise: not sure
Valdoro: Yes, in all units

All Sunrise 1/2/3/4 bd have a gas fireplace in living room area.

Room size

I would add that all Valdoro rooms are non-LO (lock out type). All Sunrise 2/3/4 Bd are LO type. In addition all BDs at Sunrise have their own bathroom except that main 1 Bd might share the bathroom with anyone on the pull-out sofa in the Living Room.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Skiing

Breckenridge
(Valdoro) base elevation is 9600 ft (Kurt has already pointed it out). The highest elevation (w/o hiking) is off chair is 12,840. This is highest in north america. Breckenridge has such a varied terrain. Breckenridge is on the Vail epic pass. There are 2909 skiable acres at Breck. You could also easily visit the following ski resort nearby also on the Epic Pass, Vail (~ 45 min drive), Keystone (~20 min drive), A-Basin (~25 min drive) from Valdoro. Since Breckenridge is so high, there is a longer season with better ski conditions.

Park City (Sunrise). Actually Park City is two former ski resorts (Park City and Canyons) put together now with a Quicksilver Gondola connecting the two resorts now into 1. This is the largest ski resort in USA at 7300+ acres. The base elevation is 6600 ft with 9900 ft highest elevation off ski lift. Park City is on the Vail Epic Pass, but there aren't any other Vail resorts nearly. There are some great non-Epic pass resort nearby. Sunrise is on the Canyons side of the resort.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Kurt

If I may ask, how much did you pay and who did you buy through? I love the points per MF ratio on those plus units.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We have short (3 day) stays at both this winter. I look forward to checking them out.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
We go to both several times a season. Valdoro 3 times already. Having the same season pass is epic, as it were. I'm not sure that I'd pick one over the other for any specific reason other than flight vs drive, but I do like the size of the rooms at Sunrise. Then again, you do pay more for Sunrise in points. Shelling out points for a 3BR at Valdoro seems like a steal in this age of inflated points resorts.

Slalom

Reaction score
Does Sunrise no longer have complimentary shuttle service to other resorts? This was offered about 5 years ago when I was last there. It would stop in town, Park City resort and Deer Valley. Maybe because Park City and the Canyons are now one, they eliminated this service.

I'm sure they'd drive you to the base of Park City if you request it, but they are now linked by gondola so it is easy to ski between the two resorts. I was there over New Years and never saw a lineup for the Quicksilver Gondola that connects the two.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@CalGalTraveler started another thread with good information on obtaining discount ski lift tickets - here. Now, I have been purchasing the EPIC Vail local pass for a few years now but I would like to ski Snowbird and Alta while at Sunrise (Park City) and maybe Copper Mtn while at Valdoro (Breckenridge). {These are not on the EPIC Vail Pass} Two years ago, I did sit through the "Owners Update" (aka. Sales Presentation) at Sunrise in order to get 2 fee lift tickets at Deer Valley. That "Owners Update" was pretty painless and did only take 1 hour.