• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sumday Vacations Inventory 25% off this weekend

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is considering a TS purchase soon, check out www.sumdayvacations.com this weekend. They have inventory on their site and it is 25% off this weekend. A bunch of Tuggers have purchased from them, including me and have had good results. Read the ad carefully. There are often errors as they move a lot of timeshare weeks. They do respond to emails and TUG postings. They do make things right if there is an error in their listing or a problem with the closing. They do not work weekends, but if you buy something that has a discrepancy, I personally would trust them to make it right or cancel your purchase. (Use a credit card for backup and you could dispute the charge). Their prices are good and the 25% off is huge.
I successfully purchased from them and everything went smoothly. I was tickled with the price of my Sheraton Desert Oasis. This year's maintenance fees are usually prepaid. Many include 2012 usage with can usually be deposited when the deed comes through. Mine did!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look.

Thanks for the heads-up! :wave:

Added:

I am a new owner of another timeshare. I never see in-season weeks for the places that I'm looking for on SumDay's eBay auctions. Everything that I was looking at was off-season. I was thinking "no way" on my last State to check where I had an interest. Yes, "way". It prime season. It's only a 1BR, but that works for me and hubby. It's only EOY-Odd, but that works also. The price was great, of course.

Thank you, momeson!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, many of the prices are what I usually see on eBay when you factor in closing/transfer costs. It's getting more and more rare to see $0 Closing/$0 Transfer ownership, and even then, the bids go over $300.

TS

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
EVIL!

I CAN'T afford another Timeshare, i can't AFFORD another timeshare, i can't afford ANOTHER timeshare.....Well, it couldn't hurt to look right? :D

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Actually, many of the prices are what I usually see on eBay when you factor in closing/transfer costs. It's getting more and more rare to see $0 Closing/$0 Transfer ownership, and even then, the bids go over $300.

TS

For people who want cheap timeshares, I would suggest they jump on board the train. It may be leaving the station. The long awaited firming of the re-sale market may be in progress. Chose your reseller carefully. It may be more important than the nominal amounts you may pay ($3,000 or under is what I consider nominal for an equilvant of one weeks vacation in non-peak periods). I would be refering to mid-grade and higher resorts. Cheap resorts are still showing up on E-Bay, they are probably the next to start showing an upward price trend.

P.S. Ride: Are you really Seth?

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what worked for me after I wised up and sold my "Chain" Developer Managed Weeks. I bought Weeks at Independent Resorts I had checked out with personal visits and which were located in places I liked to go. Examples were Deerfield Beach, FL; Myrtle Beach, SC; Ruidoso, NM; Biloxi, MS; Dillon, CO; etc.

I only bought where the MFs were in the $400 - $500 range. I tried to pay no more than $500 for my Week (sometimes I went a little higher). I only bought where the Resort had some sort of resale operation (some were pretty good, others were not so good, but they were there).

When health and age caught up with me and I wanted out I was able to get out. Some Weeks I sold; some I gave away; some I deeded back to the HOA. It wasn't instantaneous but I got out. In the interim I had many great trips at very low cost.

George

djdaveyk1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie reading through the listings with Sumday. I found one in Florida offering 77,000 points. It does not list any info in regards to weeks or how many bedrooms.

Am I right to assume, that I reserve a listing with my points at that or any other RCI location.

I tried to call the Sumday office, but they are closed for the weekend!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie reading through the listings with Sumday. I found one in Florida offering 77,000 points. It does not list any info in regards to weeks or how many bedrooms.

Am I right to assume, that I reserve a listing with my points at that or any other RCI location.

I tried to call the Sumday office, but they are closed for the weekend!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

If the 77,000 points are RCI points, you can use those points to book your home resort or any other RCI resort with those points. If you want to book your home resort/home week, you need to reserve it via RCI 12-13 months in advance. Then, you don't have to pay an exchange fee. You will pay an exchange fee for any other RCI booking.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the 77,000 points are RCI points, you can use those points to book your home resort or any other RCI resort with those points. If you want to book your home resort/home week, you need to reserve it via RCI 12-13 months in advance. Then, you don't have to pay an exchange fee. You will pay an exchange fee for any other RCI booking.

I'd bet the 77,000 is wyndham points

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great prices, all inclusive, for the ones I looked at. Don't need though :bawl:

djdaveyk1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and found a Wyndham grid for the resort I was looking at. 77,000 points would not be enough unfortunately, off to check on Ebay. :D

Reaction score
True, 77k Wyndham points will only get you a low-season week, or a weekend. For instance, I got a 1-bedroom deluxe at Wyndham Bonnet Creek around Week 20 (6 days) for 58000 points. Bought 15 days before check-in.

There's nothing wrong with buying 77000 points, but you'll need more in the future!

TS

iloveflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not off-topic, but has anyone here had experience with selling their timeshare through SumDay?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not off-topic, but has anyone here had experience with selling their timeshare through SumDay?

Be prepared to pay them a hefty fee to "Take it off your hands"

iloveflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you...that's what I was wondering. Will definitely not "go there" if I decide to reduce my personal inventory!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score

Most of the ebay auctions are what are called post card guys who take time share off one's hands for $2K+ to whatever. These are people with good credit ratings, jobs and assets that could be liened/garnished if they went to foreclosure. They have tried selling here, craigslist, Red Week, etc. with no luck and may have been scammed out of $700+ plus by resale scam artist.

With money they collect up front post card guy can pay his overhead, MF and get rid of in a few months and make a nice profit.

Generally they have one do a quit claim deed and put in "their" name, with Wyndham they do not pay $299 fee and one is still on hook for MF if they default!

If they do not record quit claim deed and go out of business then you are still on hook. Insist quit claim deed is recorded. If they dump in Viking Ship Developer/resort may legally challenge.

Best bet is to post here or wherever and offer to pay say closing costs or say $500 if buyer will close immediately. Cheaper than $2K+ and you are in charge!

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 insist that the deed be taken out of your name...As long as that happens, as soon as the deed is legally recorded, you are off the hook for Everything, it matters not at all what they do with it after that, you will have NO legal liability!

I don't see how one would be on the hook for MF's for a deed they don't own...i'd love to see doc's that say they can charge MF's to a non-owner...

Most of the ebay auctions are what are called post card guys who take time share off one's hands for $2K+ to whatever. These are people with good credit ratings, jobs and assets that could be liened/garnished if they went to foreclosure. They have tried selling here, craigslist, Red Week, etc. with no luck and may have been scammed out of $700+ plus by resale scam artist.

With money they collect up front post card guy can pay his overhead, MF and get rid of in a few months and make a nice profit.

Generally they have one do a quit claim deed and put in "their" name, with Wyndham they do not pay $299 fee and one is still on hook for MF if they default!

If they do not record quit claim deed and go out of business then you are still on hook. Insist quit claim deed is recorded. If they dump in Viking Ship Developer/resort may legally challenge.

Best bet is to post here or wherever and offer to pay say closing costs or say $500 if buyer will close immediately. Cheaper than $2K+ and you are in charge!

rrlongwell

Reaction score
+1 insist that the deed be taken out of your name...As long as that happens, as soon as the deed is legally recorded, you are off the hook for Everything, it matters not at all what they do with it after that, you will have NO legal liability!

I don't see how one would be on the hook for MF's for a deed they don't own...i'd love to see doc's that say they can charge MF's to a non-owner...

You might want to review the UDI deeds and page 330 of the members directory. Pay specific attention to who is responsable for the ownership changes for this catagory of ownership in the members directory and pay speficific attention to the language of the UDI deed subjecting the propety to the Trust. Anyone who guessed that page gives any weight to the actual title being transfered by just filing a peice of paper in the court house may not be entirely correct when it comes to UDI deeds. As a person that has been through the process numerous times, Coorporate Wyndham does claim the right to approve or deny or indefinately delay ownership changes.

It is my understanding that anyone can file property related documents in the court house to include deeds that do not legaly transfer ownership. Oh well, so much for that theory.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I call BS on this post, page 330 mentions nothing about a non-owner owing MF's...And a Legally transferred deed does convey ownership...Yes Anyone can file property related documents, but if its not accepted by the grantee or accepted by the county....its not a legal deed

I think the problem with your post is you are confusing "Ownership" with "Membership"...Wyndham has no specific language on who may or may not OWN the deed....The Membership to the TS is a different story, though it is contradictory, an owner must be a member, but they also reserve the right to deny membership...i don't think that language would hold up in court...How can you deny membership, yet require it at the same time, when you have no way to invalidate ownership?

You might want to review the UDI deeds and page 330 of the members directory. Pay specific attention to who is responsable for the ownership changes for this catagory of ownership in the members directory and pay speficific attention to the language of the UDI deed subjecting the propety to the Trust. Anyone who guessed that page gives any weight to the actual title being transfered by just filing a peice of paper in the court house may not be entirely correct when it comes to UDI deeds. As a person that has been through the process numerous times, Coorporate Wyndham does claim the right to approve or deny or indefinately delay ownership changes.

It is my understanding that anyone can file property related documents in the court house to include deeds that do not legaly transfer ownership. Oh well, so much for that theory.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ride:

I suggest you read the Fairfield(Wyndham) VOI Trust Agreement dated 1991 as amended.

I fully agree that when one sells a house or condo and it is legally recorded they are off the hook for property taxes, HOA dues and liens filed after date of sale. However, all must be current and transfer fee paid for Title company to close deal.

With Wyndham, you get a deed secured by a specific interest in a specific property which is duly recorded with County Clerk. However, you agree to be bound by Trust which assigns symbolic points which you use to make reservations.

When you sell your ownership you, Title Company, who ever must notify Trust deeding and pay $299 fee. Until this is done owner of record is fully liable for MF!

Check with your attorney or legitimate title company and see if they will close a deal with out complying with obligations listed in estoppel letter!

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... I call BS on this post, page 330 mentions nothing about a non-owner owing MF's...And a Legally transferred deed does convey ownership...Yes Anyone can file property related documents, but if its not accepted by the grantee or accepted by the county....its not a legal deed

I think the problem with your post is you are confusing "Ownership" with "Membership"...Wyndham has no specific language on who may or may not OWN the deed....The Membership to the TS is a different story, though it is contradictory, an owner must be a member, but they also reserve the right to deny membership...i don't think that language would hold up in court...How can you deny membership, yet require it at the same time, when you have no way to invalidate ownership?

Easy, in most cases, the Wyndham managment company is in control of the actual timeshare. They just deny access. If you doubt this, just look at a number of E-Bay adds that indicate that use may be frozen until Wyndham processes the transfer. Heck, if true, even the owner of record cannot use it, according to this, until Wyndham gets around to letting someone use it.

If I heard someone bought a deed without getting the corresponding use rights, I would strongly suggest they see an attorney for what legal recourse they had against the seller for this.

Using your own words. It is a conjunction ownership and membership are tied together. Without one, you do not have the other. With the current price of timeshares re-sales, it is very unlikely that anyone is going to sue Wyndham over this.

I know of one case that as a condition of getting Coorporate Wyndham's permission to transfer ownership, the agent of the owner of record had to sign a general release of all claims they may have had against Wyndham. So, in my experience, Wyndham does use this right or perceived right to extract additional terms that are of benifit to the for profit Wyndham.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, but with large PCC's, access isn't always important......If you ARE the OWNER, but NOT a member, you do not owe MF's and do not have usage, this lowers their costs to hold the ownership...But also, in the long run, this IS one of the times you can use a Timeshare as an investment..In cases like that, Timeshare SHOULD be thought of as Real Estate, or even stocks...When the Timeshare plans is eventually terminated, which they all eventually will be....as an Owner, but not a member, you will share in the proceeds of the sale...and without the ongoing costs of MF's, your 'stake' in that ownership, or total cost, will have been much lower then the other owners....so your percentage of profit would be much higher...Heck, if i could buy TS's right now and Guarentee that i wouldn't get membership or usage rights and therefore pay no MF's, i'd buy HUNDREDS of deeds right now! Anything that looks like it will crash and burn in my lifetime(40-60 more years) it would get the same profit as buying stock in a closing company, the sell off would be distributed among owners

Plus i'm not sure that it's legal for most timeshares to withhold membership from owners...Personally, I wouldn't fight it in court, the costs would be too high, BUT, most TS doc's i've read require an owner to be a member, so the HOA would be breaking in violation of the contract by denying the owner membership

Easy, in most cases, the Wyndham managment company is in control of the actual timeshare. They just deny access. If you doubt this, just look at a number of E-Bay adds that indicate that use may be frozen until Wyndham processes the transfer. Heck, if true, even the owner of record cannot use it, according to this, until Wyndham gets around to letting someone use it.

If I heard someone bought a deed without getting the corresponding use rights, I would strongly suggest they see an attorney for what legal recourse they had against the seller for this.

Using your own words. It is a conjunction ownership and membership are tied together. Without one, you do not have the other. With the current price of timeshares re-sales, it is very unlikely that anyone is going to sue Wyndham over this.

I know of one case that as a condition of getting Coorporate Wyndham's permission to transfer MEMBERSHIP, the agent of the owner of record had to sign a general release of all claims they may have had against Wyndham. So, in my experience, Wyndham does use this right or perceived right to extract additional terms that are of benifit to the for profit Wyndham.

You're misusing Ownership again in the above quote, THE CHANGE IN RED IS MINE to correct the misuse of the term 'ownership'

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Ah, but with large PCC's, access isn't always important......If you ARE the OWNER, but NOT a member, you do not owe MF's and do not have usage, this lowers their costs to hold the ownership...But also, in the long run, this IS one of the times you can use a Timeshare as an investment..In cases like that, Timeshare SHOULD be thought of as Real Estate, or even stocks...When the Timeshare plans is eventually terminated, which they all eventually will be....as an Owner, but not a member, you will share in the proceeds of the sale...and without the ongoing costs of MF's, your 'stake' in that ownership, or total cost, will have been much lower then the other owners....so your percentage of profit would be much higher...Heck, if i could buy TS's right now and Guarentee that i wouldn't get membership or usage rights and therefore pay no MF's, i'd buy HUNDREDS of deeds right now! Anything that looks like it will crash and burn in my lifetime(40-60 more years) it would get the same profit as buying stock in a closing company, the sell off would be distributed among owners

Plus i'm not sure that it's legal for most timeshares to withhold membership from owners...Personally, I wouldn't fight it in court, the costs would be too high, BUT, most TS doc's i've read require an owner to be a member, so the HOA would be breaking in violation of the contract by denying the owner membership

You're misusing Ownership again in the above quote, THE CHANGE IN RED IS MINE to correct the misuse of the term 'ownership'

You make factual changes that are simply wrong. It was an ownership issue.