• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for newly purchased unit that I can’t use in 2020

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I told myself last year that we didn’t need to buy another timeshare:), well......

We are currently in the transaction process for a 2 bd, float 1-50 unit in Grand Cayman. By the time the transfer process is over, we will have few weeks to choose from in 2020....probably only a scattering of summer and fall/winter.

We already are renting a unit in February 2020 elsewhere in Cayman...with no hope of combining this new one to the plans. I would prefer not to travel to the same island twice in the same year.

We are members of Interval; this resort is affiliated with RCI as a “weeks” resort(not Morritts). Called and verified that II doesn’t accept it as a deposit. Since this unit is probably one we will use annually after 2020, I‘m not sure it is worthwhile to join RCI. Feel free to change my mindset.

Has anyone been in this predicament? Should I place an exchange ad in TUG? Any reputable independent exchanges companies? What would you do?

Everyone on this board has such good ideas...

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Try placing an exchange add on tug. We have had many successful exchanges with Tug members.
Good Luck!
Silentg

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I have been leaning towards that....just not sure I can decipher the real from the “not real” replies.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of the independents would work? I've mostly used RCI and II, so I don't have a lot of experience with them. If SFX would take it, that might be worth a try. We had the same situation and sent the "can't use it" week to GPX. I think that's only available to resorts managed by Grand Pacific though? Not sure.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Trading places regularly. They do get more inventory in the west, Mexico and hawaii.

Htse is good if you want Hawaii

Platinum I have not had as much luck.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have been leaning towards that....just not sure I can decipher the real from the “not real” replies.
If this is Morritts you can deposit in II. But not you, the management company has to make the deposit for you as a week deposit. They will actually give you a 2020 week that is already deposited. You would have to pay to add Morritts to your II account or else extend your membership by one year.
New owners that purchase directly from the resort are “given” II points membership but as resale you can only do a week deposit.

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
Which Grand Cayman resort are you purchasing? If you can reserve Pirate’s Week in early November, 2020, you might be able to rent it to cover your maintenance fee.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
You can, we usually talk over the phone and plan things that way. It’s fairly easy they pay their fees you pay yours no money exchanges and you also save exchange fees too.
If someone doesn’t have what you want then you can just say no. We have had that but eventually found folks who wanted to go to our timeshares and we went to theirs, all turned out well.
Silentg

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can, we usually talk over the phone and plan things that way. It’s fairly easy they pay their fees you pay yours no money exchanges and you also save exchange fees too.
If someone doesn’t have what you want then you can just say no. We have had that but eventually found folks who wanted to go to our timeshares and we went to theirs, all turned out well.
Silentg
Morritts does allow week deposits to II. And they can exchange for 2021. Were given wrong info from II

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Just looked up Pirate’s Week.....looks fun. The transfer isn’t complete, but the resort is Coral Sands...very small place. Trading Places said that they would accept it as long as the resort allows it. I believe some owners rent out as well. There isn’t much conversation on this one anywhere, so I will learn as I go. We intend to use it every year after 2020.

If I do try the Tug exchange board, would it be better to wait on choosing a week, thereby allowing the other person a choice? The dilemma is that nearly all of Jan-April 2020 is gone already. The longer I wait, the least choice I have.

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
Just looked up Pirate’s Week.....looks fun. The transfer isn’t complete, but the resort is Coral Sands...very small place. Trading Places said that they would accept it as long as the resort allows it. I believe some owners rent out as well. There isn’t much conversation on this one anywhere, so I will learn as I go. We intend to use it every year after 2020.

If I do try the Tug exchange board, would it be better to wait on choosing a week, thereby allowing the other person a choice? The dilemma is that nearly all of Jan-April 2020 is gone already. The longer I wait, the least choice I have.

I just sent you a pm.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritts does allow week deposits to II. And they can exchange for 2021. Were given wrong info from II
Sorry, missed the not Morritts part!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Hope you can make an exchange thru TUG they have been the best exchanges for us and for the people we exchanged with.
Good Luck!