• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for Good Marriott Trader

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Can anyone tell me which Marriott resorts are amongst the strongest trading properties in the Marriott Vacation Club? We were initially considering another HGVC property but the destinations are more limited compared to Marriott locations. We live on the east coast and I feel that Marriott has more destinations that are easily reached by us including the Caribbean. Adding a Marriott property will offer up locations that can't be reached by HGVC.

I know Marriott trades in II and has the advance preference for trading with other Marriotts there. Can anyone tell me which Marriotts seem to have the best or strongest trade potential (assume a 2 bedroom platinum trade). While it does not have to be within driving distance for us, we would like to visit the home resort from time to time.

Thank you!

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I'm sure someone with good trade experience will chime in, but you might find this useful.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/want-a-marriott-trader-please-help.236297/#post-1838466

Thank you for the link. I was actually considering Lakeshore Reserve but was worried that since Orlando is overbuilt and there is an oversupply of hotel rooms and timeshares, that an Orlando property would not trade as well. I figured the same would hold true with Las Vegas and that units in areas with an oversupply would not fare as well for a trade. There were some interesting ideas discussed -- Grande Vista (also Orlando), Grand Chateau (Vegas) and some of the properties in the Palm Desert.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
In 2015, I decided to add a trader to my portfolio. After soliciting opinions, I decided on an EOY 2 Br at the Grand Chateau (all weeks are platinum). It is just a trader because I have been to far to many conferences in Vegas over the years. I purchased the Grand Chateau for a few reasons
1 - Marriott was not (and maybe still not) exercising Right of First Refusal so I picked up an inexpensive unit on Ebay. (1800 with closing costs included)
2 - MF's are not that bad.. 600 EOY
3 - I got good feedback that it traded well
4 - If it didn't work out, minimal investment

In year 1 of my ownership, I deposited it into II as a 1 BR and Studio. The 1 br I traded for a 2 bedroom at the Aruba Surf. I leave in a few weeks. The studio, I have seen Studios and 1 BR in just about all Marriott that have them. If I could have travelled within 60 days, I could have gotten HHI, St Kitts and St Thomas (all August).
I have a sense that the Chateau will be a good trader but I can't prove it yet. If I was to do this again, I would have gotten an EOY 3 BR. I still may.

I have two summer HHI timeshares that I normally use or rent but the few times I traded (over my 25 year ownership of one of them), it trades very well. I would not purchase HHI as a trader because they do not lock-off and you can pick up good traders for less money.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
To the OP, I wrote this a long time ago and I think the concept still applies. Good luck with your search!

[2012] good resale recommendation needed for trade

Best,

Greg

Edited to add: I did end up buying two dedicated traders -- A Willow Ridge EOY that was basically free in 2013, and a Shadow Ridge Enclaves Deluxe in 2016 that I paid $4,000 for. I always wanted a 3BR Grand Chateau but found the Shadow Ridge first.

If I could only keep one, I would keep the Shadow Ridge (because it was not easy to find and is very useful). From a usage perspective, I leave the Willow intact as a 2BR for trade power, and break the Shadow Ridge into two 1BR deposits. Good luck!

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
In 2015, I decided to add a trader to my portfolio. After soliciting opinions, I decided on an EOY 2 Br at the Grand Chateau (all weeks are platinum). It is just a trader because I have been to far to many conferences in Vegas over the years. I purchased the Grand Chateau for a few reasons
1 - Marriott was not (and maybe still not) exercising Right of First Refusal so I picked up an inexpensive unit on Ebay. (1800 with closing costs included)

In year 1 of my ownership, I deposited it into II as a 1 BR and Studio. The 1 br I traded for a 2 bedroom at the Aruba Surf. I leave in a few weeks. The studio, I have seen Studios and 1 BR in just about all Marriott that have them. If I could have travelled within 60 days, I could have gotten HHI, St Kitts and St Thomas (all August).
I have a sense that the Chateau will be a good trader but I can't prove it yet. If I was to do this again, I would have gotten an EOY 3 BR. I still may.

I have two summer HHI timeshares that I normally use or rent but the few times I traded (over my 25 year ownership of one of them), it trades very well. I would not purchase HHI as a trader because they do not lock-off and you can pick up good traders for less money.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Grand Chateau. That was one of the ideas suggested in another thread. And your point about non-lock off units is well taken.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
To the OP, I wrote this a long time ago and I think the concept still applies. Good luck with your search!

[2012] good resale recommendation needed for trade

Best,

Greg

That was an excellent analysis so thank you for the link. I may consider a 3 bedroom although I suspect you may be trading down on occasion unless you lock it all off and deposit it. Desert Springs Villa 1 is on the radar as a possibility. Your point about the predictability of getting a reservation, and the uncertainty with trades in II, is also well taken. I wish HGVC offered more locations than it does as I'm happy within that system. Just booked 2 weeks in Hawaii for next April and it was comforting to have a reservation instead of waiting endlessly.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

We have a very similar experience.
We bought a Grand Chateau EOY 2 Bed Lock Off week almost 10 years ago now and have still to stay there.
It was a good initial price, even though we bought it Direct from MVC way back then. The MFs are reasonable and we have locked off every year to exchange it for 2 weeks through Interval to extend stays at another of our MVC "home" resorts.
It also has a reasonably good points allocation, so with Interval upgrade fees coming in we might consider electing it for points in future to secure earlier booking confirmation than with Interval.
On reflection, we too would probably have bought an EOY 3 Bed, but we are happy with what we have.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my .02 in with a Platinum Marriott Harbour Pointe. [Ad info deleted.] I know this is a good trader because I own the same week and I have gotten a Maui 2BDRM Feb 2017 outside of flex and July 6th GO for 2018 already. I've also seen Newport and many other high-end Marriotts so II assigns a pretty good value to these for some reason. The only downside is it is not a LO but if you love the Marriott HHI ocean resorts knowing what i know you can buy a HP and just trade in.

I don't think I'd consider an Orlando resort because they're very easy to trade into.

Last edited by a moderator:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thank you for sharing your experience with Grand Chateau. That was one of the ideas suggested in another thread. And your point about non-lock off units is well taken.

I had the same dilemma as you last year (Orlando or Vegas for trader). I ended up purchasing a 3BR EOYE (LOs as 2BR and 1 BR) Grand Chateau for $2500. MFs are slightly above $900. I've been please with what I am able to see/exchange into with it. Haven't done an OGS so I can't shed any insight with this. I definitely see more Marriott's with better weeks with my Marriott than my non-Marriott. Very happy.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I am at the HGVC Elite plus level. I purchased Marriott Valley Lodge summer season resale on eBay. It has been an excellent trader. MMVL is in about as good a location as it gets in Breckenridge and is a fine destination in its own right. We have traded into The Royal Islander in Cancun, the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta, Marriott Manor Club in Williamsburg Virginia, Marriott's Summit Watch in Park City Utah, Marriott's Willowridge Lodge in Branson Missouri, and Marriott's Royal Palms in Orlando, Florida. That is quite a bit of time sharing for a small purchase price. Unfortunately, the MFs in Breckenridge are a bit on the high side. The Mfs at MMC and MWL are lower but the initial cost might be greater. I think you will do much better in the resale market on eBay than direct from Marriott.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma as you last year (Orlando or Vegas for trader). I ended up purchasing a 3BR EOYE (LOs as 2BR and 1 BR) Grand Chateau for $2500. MFs are slightly above $900. I've been please with what I am able to see/exchange into with it. Haven't done an OGS so I can't shed any insight with this. I definitely see more Marriott's with better weeks with my Marriott than my non-Marriott. Very happy.
The difference between Marriott vs. non-Marriott trader is primarily due to Marriott-Marriott priority trading period (22? days). It is not an indication of whether that is a stronger Marriott trader as compared to a different Marriott trader.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which Marriott resorts are amongst the strongest trading properties in the Marriott Vacation Club? We were initially considering another HGVC property but the destinations are more limited compared to Marriott locations. We live on the east coast and I feel that Marriott has more destinations that are easily reached by us including the Caribbean. Adding a Marriott property will offer up locations that can't be reached by HGVC.

I know Marriott trades in II and has the advance preference for trading with other Marriotts there. Can anyone tell me which Marriotts seem to have the best or strongest trade potential (assume a 2 bedroom platinum trade). While it does not have to be within driving distance for us, we would like to visit the home resort from time to time.

Thank you!
IMO it depends on whether you're trying to trade Marriott to Marriott or in general as well as to get access to more OR better places. To judge true trade power you'd need to look at trading to non Marriott options. II puts a lot of stock in resort quality somewhat independent of trade power so something with a high trade power still might not trade to X resort if the resort quality doesn't qualify (Harbour Pointe is a pretty good example of this on one end and GV/GC on the other). In general there are good traders and good resorts to use (and some that are neither for a given person. If you can find something that works well for you for both, that's often the best option even if it's not the perfect trading option. But just looking at trading it depends on what you want to trade to. Overall I like resorts that are highly rated with below average fees that can be locked off. If one owns other Marriotts, I like a trader that can also be used for the 13 month reservation window. If one is looking at converting to destination points, that is a consideration. One Platinum is not necessarily the same as another. Some Gold options will out trade some platinum options but in general, Platinum will trade better all else equal. That said I tend to agree with the above info and think GV & GC are among the best options for many people, esp for a 2 BR or above. But sometimes you can get a resort that's not perfect but fits most options and is just a great deal, like legends edge Platinum for free.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The difference between Marriott vs. non-Marriott trader is primarily due to Marriott-Marriott priority trading period (22? days). It is not an indication of whether that is a stronger Marriott trader as compared to a different Marriott trader.
I agree that's the primary reason for seeing the additional Marriott units. I wasn't comparing to other Marriott resorts (since I own only one). I realize it was slightly off topic based on OP's question.

My main reason for purchasing was to take advantage of the priority to trade into other Marriott resorts (primarily HHI) during better weeks...and Grand Chateau has proven useful for doing that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Thanks for sharing that, very encouraging to hear. Do you ever use the Vegas property or is it strictly a dedicated trader?

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am at the HGVC Elite plus level. I purchased Marriott Valley Lodge summer season resale on eBay. It has been an excellent trader. MMVL is in about as good a location as it gets in Breckenridge and is a fine destination in its own right. We have traded into The Royal Islander in Cancun, the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta, Marriott Manor Club in Williamsburg Virginia, Marriott's Summit Watch in Park City Utah, Marriott's Willowridge Lodge in Branson Missouri, and Marriott's Royal Palms in Orlando, Florida. That is quite a bit of time sharing for a small purchase price. Unfortunately, the MFs in Breckenridge are a bit on the high side. The Mfs at MMC and MWL are lower but the initial cost might be greater. I think you will do much better in the resale market on eBay than direct from Marriott.

I will have to check out MVL! It does sound like you got some nice trades out of it. Definitely buying resale.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Good point of clarification and I did not realize this. So if you own Marriott and deposit in II, do you have access to any other Marriott deposits in that 22 day window? I had assumed some traded better than others, even within that window of priority.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks for sharing that, very encouraging to hear. Do you ever use the Vegas property or is it strictly a dedicated trader?
I've stayed there for a business trip and was very impressed. Being an owner helped me get a room on a higher floor with a decent view. I traded my 2016 week (MBY for DW's birthday) so I haven't stayed for my use week.

We'll definitely use our week in the future. We'll use the 1BR primarily for NASCAR races (they go to LV twice a year now), and trade the 2BR (or vice versa if friends/family tag along)...and now with the Raiders move in the future, we'll have that option as well. It's a win for us since we'll both use and trade.

I picked LV over Orlando since Orlando has several Marriott resorts. In addition we've had several family trips to Orlando, but none to LV. We moved to FL earlier this year so I'm glad I went with Grand Chateau.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point of cTlarification and I did not realize this. So if you own Marriott and deposit in II, do you have access to any other Marriott deposits in that 22 day window? I had assumed some traded better than others, even within that window of priority.
That was what I had pointed out. If you own a Marriott trader, it will see Marriott deposits in the first 22 days when Marriott deposits weeks into II. How many Marriotts are seen has to do with the trading power of the Marriott. I own 2 red weeks at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I and always lock off my deposits. With the 1BR I have seen every reported Marriott week deposited into II. With the studio it sees fewer Marriott deposits but it has since improved with II's upsize charge.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
That was what I had pointed out. If you own a Marriott trader, it will see Marriott deposits in the first 22 days when Marriott deposits weeks into II. How many Marriotts are seen has to do with the trading power of the Marriott. I own 2 red weeks at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I and always lock off my deposits. With the 1BR I have seen every reported Marriott weeks deposited into II. With the studio it sees fewer Marriott deposits but it has since improved with II's upsize charge.

DSV1 was actually a property I was considering. I've read some posts on the property in various threads on TUG and it seems people really like it there. I hear the property is nicely maintained and that the units are larger. It's also nice to have access to the JW Marriott there. Is there a fee involved to use the hotel amenities if you own at DSV1?

I've never been to a desert so I think it would offer a vastly different experience than living in hot and humid subtropical FL.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV1 was actually a property I was considering. I've read some posts on the property in various threads on TUG and it seems people really like it there. I hear the property is nicely maintained and that the units are larger. It's also nice to have access to the JW Marriott there. Is there a fee involved to use the hotel amenities if you own at DSV1?

I've never been to a desert so I think it would offer a vastly different experience than living in hot and humid subtropical FL.

DSV I units are huge. The 1BR is the most spacious of all Marriotts. Even the studio is large and has a walk in shower in addition to a separate tub.

The 1BR and studio do not have direct access to each other, which may not work for families travelling with little kids. For us it is great because there is lots of privacy whichever unit we occupy.

DSV I maintenance fees pay for JW Marriott access Monday to Friday. Typically that means their spa, pool etc. JW Marriott standalone spa building is very nice. Other than fee based massages, facials etc, access to the spa is free (paid for by the Maintenance Fees).

Please note that DSV I maintenance fees are a bit higher than DSV II for the above reasons - larger units and access to JW Marriott Mon-Fri.

We love the Palm Desert area. Just stay away in summer because it is really hot then.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
DSV I units are huge. The 1BR is the most spacious of all Marriotts. Even the studio is large and has a walk in shower in addition to a separate tub.

The 1BR and studio do not have direct access to each other, which may not work for families travelling with little kids. For us it is great because there is lots of privacy whichever unit we occupy.

DSV I maintenance fees pay for JW Marriott access Monday to Friday. Typically that means their spa, pool etc. JW Marriott standalone spa building is very nice. Other than fee based massages, facials etc, access to the spa is free (paid for by the Maintenance Fees).

Please note that DSV I maintenance fees are a bit higher than DSV II for the above reasons - larger units and access to JW Marriott Mon-Fri.

We love the Palm Desert area. Just stay away in summer because it is really hot then.

I figured the platinum weeks would be the winter weeks there. Lol. Can you tell me if there are any hot springs in the area to visit and take a dip in?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I figured the platinum weeks would be the winter weeks there. Lol. Can you tell me if there are any hot springs in the area to visit and take a dip in?
Yes, very true with regards to red season (they call it red instead of platinum, go figure...). However II usually has lots of cheap summer weeks in getaways where you pay maybe $400 for a week (not an exchange). I have never gone to any hot springs in the area but you can google it. There are a ton of things to do in the Palm Springs/Desert area. I think there is a recent thread on it in TUG.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake

What about a White Season DSV -1 as a trader? Not worth it? We probably wouldn't use it but you never know in 3-5 years. Seems like weeks 40-49 would be good to use? Halloween/Thanksgiving, etc.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The general consensus on TUG over the years (since the late '90s for me), and that includes the opinions of the handful of gurus whose wisdom I trust, suggests that a "dedicated trader" should be (but does not have to be) a lock-off for maximum flexibility now and later
(as phases change in your life). Family vacations with younger kids usually come first, then kids grow up and leave, etc.....so as empty-nesters down the road you'll still be able to be creative with your trades whether children are still included or not.

Some criteria to achieve best results:

You want a high season week, Platinum preferred.
You don't necessarily want THE absolute best trader, which would be Marriott Ocean Club, Aruba Surf Club, or Frenchman's Cove, etc, etc,
because the initial cost is prohibitive, the maintenance fees are high, and that is overkill just for trading.
You want a very good resort with good demand.
You want a resort with mid-to-low maintenance fees.
You want a week with a low initial purchase price (or "reasonable" as you might define it).
A 3BR is probably better than a 2BR, but not absolutely critical. Weigh the different costs to see if the extra trade is worth it for you.
You might consider a resort that has a long Platinum season, increasing flexibility for many other non-trading situations along the way.
(A short season is OK for just trading, but doesn't do a few things like booking consecutive weeks alongside another different week, then trading.)

After all is said and done, the resorts I have repeatedly heard recommended are Grand Chateau 3BR, Manor Club Sequel 2BR,
and Harbour Point (not a lock-off, but it gets amazing trades and costs are low).
There are others, everyone has a favorite, but these are always mentioned and still measure up.

My personal favorite for your situation would be Grand Chateau 3BR.... higher initial cost is only drawback, which may have to be considered.

I have a Manor Club Sequel which does wonderful things for me. (Cost was $800, now probably cheaper, very reasonable mf,
long platinum season, great trades). Harbour Point is next because of the very high demand for Hilton Head in summer.

My personal opinion---Orlando resorts like Grande Vista are popular, but Orlando is over-saturated, and so they remain down the list.
Too easy a trade into, inconsistent trading out because many, many owners do it.