TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidity is expensive

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DannyTS, Oct 31, 2018.

1. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

My own stupidity in this case. We checked out from Lagunamar and we realized that we forgot to apply the resort credit we got for the owners update.
    We spoke with our concierge an he told us he was going to try to do something. I emailed the scanned voucher to him.

The fine prints on the back mention that they are valid for 3 months.We only go back to the resort in 4 so we cannot apply them in person during our next visit.

Has anyone gone through this? Is there anything else i should do?

2. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    Ask them to change the gift to the points instead if they won’t credit the voucher. That way you still get some value.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  3. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

a good idea and i do not see why they would not be able to do it

4. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

It's not stupidity, it's forgetful.:rolleyes: Which, unlike cheese & wine, doesn't get better with age.:D

mauitraveler, DannyTS and Karen G like this.
  5. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I bet this happens by design and many do not realize until too late. FWIW, we had something similar happen to us with HGVC Hawaii. When we contacted the accounting dept at the resort they applied the cert. right away.

DannyTS likes this.
  6. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Don't take the points - they only offer 2500 "Rewards" points, not StarPoints. That is almost worthless. On a similar note, I once took the update for points, and after several months the points never showed up in my account. When I called, it turned out they created a new account for me, and had to transfer the points into my actual account. I'll bet lots of people get ripped off by that scheme.

7. Maui_ed

Maui_ed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WPORV, WKORV, WDW
    That is odd. They have always copied our membership number onto the form at the time we signed up for the "update", and we were able to verify that when we signed to acknowledge the points. We have done updates at WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, WMH, and WKV, and it has always been that way. Granted, we have not done an update in a while, so the process could very well have changed, but that process would seem to make it difficult to not post points to the correct account.

8. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    That is still the process.

9. Maui_ed

Maui_ed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WPORV, WKORV, WDW
    Hmm, seems that having points deposited to the wrong account, or any account other than that associated with the owner who is attending the update, would be difficult given this process.

10. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Unless the SPG account number was not on the form signed by the owner and given to the owner to be presented at the sales gallery and the owner did not notice it.

11. Maui_ed

Maui_ed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WPORV, WKORV, WDW
    Sure, but I would not consider that to be a "scheme" designed to rip people off. Pretty easy for any owner to prevent that by simply verifying the information up front.

TravelTime likes this.
  12. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Agree. I don't think there is any scheme or conspiracy.

TravelTime and Maui_ed like this.
  13. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, DVC, WKOVRN, FSA, MKO
    The problem today is people are not feeling empowered anymore. They feel it is Corporate America vs the little guy. Sometimes that is true. Like my recent purchase to upgrade to Presidential within MVC and then not getting the appropriate MR category upgrade. However, ultimately, this status and the associated benefits are meaningless to me. I do not need it and I will not stay in any Marriott-affiliated hotels until it is fixed. I am empowered enough to pay for hotels and not be a victim to Corporate America. It is sad to me to see people selling their souls for $100 in perks. Please, be stronger than this!

Anne&Jim and Maui_ed like this.
  14. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

My account number was on the form they gave me after taking the update. There should not have been any reason to deposit my points into a new account. But that's what they did. I wonder how many other people had this done but they never followed up and just lost their points because they assumed the points would be there or never check their account.

15. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

I just went on the web site to check on my points activity, since I just completed a 2 week vacation and charged quite a bit. All I get is this message:

[​IMG]

We’re temporarily unable to display the information you requested.Please try again later.

No wonder people have a hard time keeping track of their points activity. I think I get this response every time I log in. I also get the same message when trying to see my upcoming trips.

16. YYJMSP

YYJMSP TUG Member

To make it as confusing as possible, during the SPG/MR transition, I had 3 different (temporary) account numbers in Aug/Sep, before they all finally merged into one properly in Sep/Oct.

The new IT system is very flakey to say the least...

17. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Thanks for sharing - glad I wasn't the only one. I wonder how many people never got their update points. Also, when you do the hotels, don't they offer like 500 points? I'll bet those never get checked either.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  18. YYJMSP

YYJMSP TUG Member

Assuming you're Platinum or higher, you get up to 1000? points depending on the property as one of your welcome options for the stay. you may instead choose daily breakfast or from other alternatives. some properties will also give you another 500/nt for declining daily housekeeping.

I had my last Owner's update (mid-Aug) and it showed my original SPG number on the voucher, and the points eventually showed up about a month later post-merge. i've dined at a property without staying, and they used my new rewards number to post the points. I have not really had any stay specific points not show up sooner or later. AMEX points have taken quite a while longer than before. i've converted some 2019 usage to points and they showed up in a few days (even when they had two different rewards numbers attached, but it all sorted out)

only real "problem" was not getting back points on a cancelled points redemption, but my Ambassador took care of it.

19. tlpnet

tlpnet TUG Member

Your post compels me to ask a question even though it’s a little off topic. I haven’t been able to find a clear answer about points earning at a hotel property when there is no stay. At Starwood properties pre-merger, I could provide my SPG# and earn points for dining at a hotel restaurant without staying. You mention that you have done this post-merger. Is that because Non-US properties are still doing it, or should all properties that were previously doing it still be doing it. I asked at a Sheraton last night and was not given a clear answer. They told me to call customer serice.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. YYJMSP

YYJMSP TUG Member

pre merger, it was only SPG properties who did this, but they're all supposed to let you get points for meals $10+ without a stay now. if you don't get them after 10 days, treat it like missing stay points. they may want a copy of the bill as proof.