• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Studio OceanFront Maui N or S?

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
I have 81K point and was going to book a full 1 bedroom in either WKORV or WKORVN, but, I see I can downgrade to a Studio and get Oceanfront for same value. My wife and I have decided to do that to get the better view, but, I wanted opinions of which side might be better for this N or S (based on view)? I am going to request a high room either way, and, wanted a nice balcony (I think both sides offer this.)
Opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Damian

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
South!!

Just keep in mind that most of the South property OF Studios have balconies on the side, not the front, of the building. Only the center studio is directly facing the water. Even so, I would prefer this to the North OF Studio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In the south phase, the studios that face north or south (to the side of the building) are labeled Oceanfront Deluxe:

EXAMPLE:
THE WESTIN KA'ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS
LAHAINA, HAWAI'I
Check-in: Wed, December 13, 2017
Check-out: Wed, December 20, 2017, 7 nights stay
Villa Type: Studio Premium Villa | Oceanfront Deluxe
Max. Occupancy 4

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Vistana doesn't differentiate OFD and OFC studios when making StarOption reservations (it does differentiate when making home resort reservations).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is one that is not labeled "deluxe" - so there are 2 different designations:

EXAMPLE: Oceanfront center studio -
THE WESTIN KA'ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS
LAHAINA, HAWAI'I
Check-in: Sat, September 09, 2017
Check-out: Sat, September 16, 2017, 7 nights stay
Villa Type: Studio Premium Villa | Oceanfront
Max. Occupancy 4

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Here is one that is not labeled "deluxe" - so there are 2 different designations:

But the OF center studio and the OF not center (i.e. deluxe) studios are the same SO cost, correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are the same number of Staroptions - my response was to post #4 which says you can't tell the two views apart when you make a Staroption reservation

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They are the same number of Staroptions - my response was to post #4 which says you can't tell the two views apart when you make a Staroption reservation

Valid point, especially for those that want to guarantee the center view!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is entirely possible that a phone Rep. told Robert that you couldn't tell the difference between the two views - but they don't know what they are talking about half the time. ;)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No, my bad. I didn't read the fine print.

Now knowing that you can control reserving OFC vs. OFD, I agree with Ken that you should opt for the OF center studio unit if possible; it has a lanai directly facing the ocean.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No, my bad. I didn't read the fine print.

Now knowing that you can control reserving OFC vs. OFD, I agree with Ken that you should opt for the OF center studio unit if possible; it has a lanai directly facing the ocean.

The lanai for the OFD studio is not direct, but far from awful (and more panoramic) - the OFD studio also has a better layout space-wise (more square) and better light.

damianinpa

Reaction score
So, looks like the one quoted on 9/9 - 9/16 is now gone. Just about everything I see if OFD. So, let me as this. Are the Balconies the same with OFD on the south side vs north side? From floor plan, I think North side studios have balcony with a few chairs for 2 people. South side oceanview have small balcony. But, south OFD might have larger??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lanai is pretty small and you can see how far back it is from the front of the building:

Westin-Kaanapali-Ocean-Resort-Villas-Two-Bedroom-Deluxe1.gif

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do I really need to post photos again?
IMG_2427.PNG

Old photo (2009? trees are still there) B3 3rd floor - looking south.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is OFD studio layout - notice how much more square.
IMG_2428.PNG

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
B2 OFD studio - 5th floor - looking north

IMG_2430.PNG

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I don't think it matters if you don't have additional information. For instance, if I had to choose between floor 1 or floor 3 on the south side with a huge palm tree blocking my view vs floor 4, 5, or 6 on the north side with an unobstructed view, I'd opt for the latter. I wouldn't sweat it.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Once again, I am blown away by how helpful users on here continue to be. Pictures, diagrams, you name it. Keep it up.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Building 5 Ocean Front Studio at WKORV-N (Room 5304). Many OF studios have great views, but a few do overlook the pool and Pailolo restaurant. I think the 5x04 studios are the units that are closest to the ocean.

IMG_0367.JPG

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the south phase, the studios that face north or south (to the side of the building) are labeled Oceanfront Deluxe:

EXAMPLE:

I would think the term "Deluxe" means that it is better? However, in this instance the lack of "Deluxe" is the OF Center unit which actually seems like the better option?:shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You would think so, but in Vistana/Starwood jargon "Deluxe" doesn't mean it is better, but it is a standard designation that Starwood, and now Vistana uses.

For instance, at many resorts the large one bedroom is designated as "premium," and the small one bedroom is designated as "deluxe."