• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Strange thing happened at presentation

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just some background, we bought our two weeks resale in 2007 and 2008. We originally purchased from Marriott, then I researched here and rescinded. Since then, we have been contacted for timeshare tours on a regular basis. I go to get the Marriott Rewards points. We have gone on countless tours, the most recent being 2 years ago.

While at Marriott Grande Chateau a week ago, we were contacted for a tour and offered 30K points. I agreed. We got there, got into the sales guy's office, and he pulled up our history, showing all the tours and the original cancellation. He asked what happened. I explained that we bought resale. He said, oh, why didn't you tell them that when they offered you the tour. You aren't even eligible to take the tour. He said this in a rude, accusing manner. He said, Let me speak to my manager. He left and then came back and said we could continue but we really shouldn't be there. I was angry so we decided to leave. He said he would take us back to the marketing people. I couldn't hold my tongue so I told him for future knowledge, he should not accuse customers of things. No one ever asked if I bought resale when they made the appointment and it is not my job to tell them. It is his job to find out. I've never hidden it and all the other tours I've been on they knew how we bought.

He then decides not to take us to the marketing people and just puts us on an elevator back to our room. What a weird dude!

My question, is this true. I don't think it is. I just don't think he wanted his time wasted on someone that knows about resale.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just some background, we bought our two weeks resale in 2007 and 2008. We originally purchased from Marriott, then I researched here and rescinded. Since then, we have been contacted for timeshare tours on a regular basis. I go to get the Marriott Rewards points. We have gone on countless tours, the most recent being 2 years ago.

While at Marriott Grande Chateau a week ago, we were contacted for a tour and offered 30K points. I agreed. We got there, got into the sales guy's office, and he pulled up our history, showing all the tours and the original cancellation. He asked what happened. I explained that we bought resale. He said, oh, why didn't you tell them that when they offered you the tour. You aren't even eligible to take the tour. He said this in a rude, accusing manner. He said, Let me speak to my manager. He left and then came back and said we could continue but we really shouldn't be there. I was angry so we decided to leave. He said he would take us back to the marketing people. I couldn't hold my tongue so I told him for future knowledge, he should not accuse customers of things. No one ever asked if I bought resale when they made the appointment and it is not my job to tell them. It is his job to find out. I've never hidden it and all the other tours I've been on they knew how we bought.

He then decides not to take us to the marketing people and just puts us on an elevator back to our room. What a weird dude!

My question, is this true. I don't think it is. I just don't think he wanted his time wasted on someone that knows about resale.

It is not true. We are resale weeks owners like you. MVCI knows it and we continue to receive 'tour/owner update' invitations regularly. Don't sweat it. Your salesman's lips were moving ...

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Resale owners can certainly tour. I hope you got your 30k MR Pts? If I attended and spent time, irregardless of purchase, I would want the incentive. He likely had you skip the Marketing desk to avoid the incentive.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marketing's job is to pull anyone qualified into a presentation, especially current owners, whether resale or not. The salespersons job is to make the sale, no matter who it is. A good salesperson will be cheerful no matter what, even if they know they have no chance. A bad salesperson will get emotional when they realize they are stuck for 60+ minutes talking to someone that has no chance of buying. Fortunately Marriott has more good salespeople than bad, but the bad ones are still out there.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I bought all resale and go to presentations all the time. I've had some snotty / pushy sales reps in some of them.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though Marketing can see what weeks you own, I have never had anyone in Marketing or Sales recognize how those weeks were acquired. I have never even had them ask me how I acquired the weeks. I just tell them so they understand what the expectations are.

I no longer go to any presentations because the dialogue gets old and it's a waste of time. It seems to be mutual because nobody has asked me to go on a presentation in two years. I am pretty sure there are notes on my account.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We've bought 5 resale Marriott weeks since 2010 and attended at least 5-6 presentations since then, and we
still get calls ALL THE TIME. Especially just prior to a week's stay at any Marriott resort....
that is, the typical resort "concierge" phone call at home, in the evening, with which everyone is well familiar.
Just YESTERDAY I turned down an invitation on the phone to attend another presentation soon prior to
an upcoming Lakeshore Reserve trade week. Took several efforts to explain the reason why "not this time".

BUT, I think they know about the resale purchases (I say that, but again, I'm assuming
just from prior personal experiences)....because that information is documented. I remember reps commenting previously in a nice way,
so they would have to have gotten that from somewhere. I do know the resort FRONT DESKS know because they've acknowledged
it when a normal & innocent conversation would arise while discussing another completely different subject.
I would be very surprised, almost shocked, if a rep didn't know,
because I personally consider that as valuable information relating to the owner's background.

They SHOULD always have "in hand", and already reviewed, the records of the full portfolio at every meeting.
Whenever we have attended, every rep, no exception, has had everything about us in front of us.
They see that we bought several developer weeks early on, and a comment about that usually follows.
So far, a presenter's literally looking over our printed portfolio as he/she sits down is the guaranteed "first task",
and from that perusal the conversation always begins.

To the OP's original point regarding what the rep told him, it is certainly NOT true that a Marriott resale ownership
precludes (or should preclude) a "tour". In my estimation, it tells the company plainly that you might still be interested
in owning/buying, but perhaps don't yet see or understand the "new and improved" benefits of Points ownership.
I think each and every attempt to get an owner into another meeting emanates from that mindset.

Anyone who has already been a successful customer (purchased something, anything) would be, should be,
a higher priority target for the new "updates".
If you took the hook previously, you're quite likely (or I'll say more likely)
to notice that hook again, whether you bite it or keep on swimming....
but you still "think about it" when you see it.
That's why we repeat customers are seldom dropped from the call list.

I'm quite sure that resale owners and even TUG members continue to buy Destination Points all the time, too,
so to cut off a presentation attendee BY ANY MEANS (especially by insults and/or demeaning behavior) would be
a pretty stupid thing to do on their part. But then again, I don't think they are immune from stupidity.

That rep's supervisor, AND that rep, AND perhaps someone above both will SURELY hear about the incident again,
and I'm sure it will be both addressed and "corrected", so to speak. I think it would qualify in my book as an egregious
violation of known sales & marketing protocol and ethics, and especially speaks to the idea behind
the longstanding "Marriott Way", which was a familiar refrain which came from Mr. Marriott himself long ago.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
He just didn’t want to waste his time. Did you get the reward points???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

There is only one answer for what you experienced: A crappy employee that needs to be counseled or fired.

1. He lied to you. Whether it was intentional or just ignorance doesn't matter.
2. He was rude--intentionally or not--and he insulted a long-time Marriott owner that PAYS HIS SALARY.
3. You set aside time for the presentation and were not compensated. It is clearly not your fault--they owe you 30k points and a big apology.

don't let this POS treat others this way. Contact the manager now!

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
There is only one answer for what you experienced: A crappy employee that needs to be counseled or fired.

1. He lied to you. Whether it was intentional or just ignorance doesn't matter.
2. He was rude--intentionally or not--and he insulted a long-time Marriott owner that PAYS HIS SALARY.
3. You set aside time for the presentation and were not compensated. It is clearly not your fault--they owe you 30k points and a big apology.

don't let this POS treat others this way. Contact the manager now!

Exactly.....
When you have a good experience you tell 5 people.
When you have a terrible experience, you tell 20.

This should be a tenet of every successful business owner (or employee), to be remembered and never violated.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That is insulting. I get sick of the attitude of sales. Call the front desk and tell them you are very unhappy with your experience with the salesperson. It's my opinion that this guy is just acting on his own and bludgeoning the reputation of Marriott sales. Disgusting and despicable.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Exactly.....
When you have a good experience you tell 5 people.
When you have a terrible experience, you tell 20.

This should be a tenet of every successful business owner (or employee), to be remembered and never violated.

And now at least a few hundred of us know about this rude behavior by the salesperson. It's far reaching sometimes. This guy is going to lose his job, and I applaud ANY company that fires him.

Tahiti Village, a pretty place with beautiful units and grounds, which is also a Vegas property, has salespeople who are told not to let resale buyers tour the units. They still usually give the gift. I would bet he used to work for them. That is the only company that has had that attitude that I am well aware of. They manage Sands of Kahana, our Hono Koa, Kahana Beach, Kahana Villas, Maui Beach Vacation Club, Gardens at West Maui, and a few others. They are unbelievably rude to resale buyers. It makes you want to slap 'em. Seriously slap their faces.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though Marketing can see what weeks you own, I have never had anyone in Marketing or Sales recognize how those weeks were acquired. I have never even had them ask me how I acquired the weeks.

They don't need to ask, they all know. Marketing and sales see whether the week is listed as "Internal" or "External"

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They certainly know, if they take the time to pull your account information. We have had sales reps that had a printout from their system of our ownership and if it was internal or external. Some reps don't bother to take the time to look that up and they had no idea.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had a sales rep that even knew what I owned. Completely clueless. I guess the ones I have had didn’t do their homework.

If marketing can see “external”, can they see ineligible? I have been two feet from them on numerous occasions. They have asked every time why haven’t I enrolled and I tell them they were bought after the deadline.

If marketing is scheduling the presentations, shouldn’t they provide a sheet or packet on the current owner so they know what they are up against?

I might be in the minority here but if someone is constantly doing presentations just for the incentives they are eventually going to get the reaction the OP got. I am not saying it is justified, but in reality it is inevitable. Also, keep in mind that the clueless buyers are paying for those gifts. I don’t do presentations anymore for those two reasons. The potential bad salesperson and the realization that I am getting an incentive from the couple in the slot after me that gets suckered into a horrible deal.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have never had a sales rep that even knew what I owned. Completely clueless. I guess the ones I have had didn’t do their homework.....

With this in mind, I recently had a sales presentation that was starting to be dragged out because the rep was having difficulty in obtaining our records from Wyndham. I've seen far too many presentations to know that for sales people, Wyndham records are not that hard to access and even if there were an issue, as Saintsfan say, someone didn't do their prep work.

Either way, I made sure the presentation was over at that point. I don't have time for an unprepared sales rep - especially once they exceed their allotted time.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

He knew, he was just trying to get you out so he could get on to the next person. I doubt you'll get your incentive, he'll likely have them cancel your tour so it doesn't count against his sales percentages, I bet he tells them you walked out. I had this discussion not 4 days ago with the sales manager at Ko Olina. Our salesperson was rude and inappropriate but rather than getting us out, he caused it to take longer because I wanted to share his inappropriate behavior and the unethical behavior's he was touting and stating he was doing like managing accounts directly and booking high demand weeks then renting them through a private broker. While there I simply asked he and the manager why they offer tours to those like me who are unlikely to buy. In reality, unlike previous tours, we might actually have bought something had the conversion factor for our post 2010 weeks been reasonable, it wasn't. I generally enjoy them getting information and discussion the resorts, but not my wife. I've probably done about as many uncompensated "tours" over the years as compensated. I do realize the different agenda of the ASA vs the actual sales staff but it all comes under one umbrella and they "MVC" set the rules.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With this in mind, I recently had a sales presentation that was starting to be dragged out because the rep was having difficulty in obtaining our records from Wyndham. I've seen far too many presentations to know that for sales people, Wyndham records are not that hard to access and even if there were an issue, as Saintsfan say, someone didn't do their prep work.

Either way, I made sure the presentation was over at that point. I don't have time for an unprepared sales rep - especially once they exceed their allotted time.
I've started getting commitments from the ASA for the time on the tour, often in writing. And I start timing at the time it's scheduled even if they're late.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never had a sales rep that even knew what I owned. Completely clueless. I guess the ones I have had didn’t do their homework.

If marketing can see “external”, can they see ineligible? I have been two feet from them on numerous occasions. They have asked every time why haven’t I enrolled and I tell them they were bought after the deadline.

If marketing is scheduling the presentations, shouldn’t they provide a sheet or packet on the current owner so they know what they are up against?

I might be in the minority here but if someone is constantly doing presentations just for the incentives they are eventually going to get the reaction the OP got. I am not saying it is justified, but in reality it is inevitable. Also, keep in mind that the clueless buyers are paying for those gifts. I don’t do presentations anymore for those two reasons. The potential bad salesperson and the realization that I am getting an incentive from the couple in the slot after me that gets suckered into a horrible deal.
I don't think marketing can see, but sales certainly can as we have had reps pull our details. We own resale and are always offered tour incentives. It isn't until we get in to the presentation that they pull our records.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Here is another strange to presentation offer.
Last week I was called by Marriott newport coast. They said that they knew I was traveling to Tahoe to the welk Northstar and invited us to sign up for a presentation at the timberlodge. I confirmed with ii that they share my travel o plans with marriott but this apparently is unusual that sales uses the info.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
If you've ever sat through a Diamond presentation you know that the salesperson gets up and leaves multiple times during the presentation. This makes me want to scream! We finally started asking why for crying out loud did they not have our account information in front of them when they sat down. Answer was they were protecting our privacy! No, you want us sitting there as long as possible to wear us down.

We took our final Diàmond presentation last fall when we (meaning me because I have much less patience than Cliff does) were done and stood up in the middle of the sales manager's pitch after we'd already spent the allotted time with the salesperson. He escorted us to the gifting window and said "go with God, but just go". I guarantee you that the entire room full of victims heard my response.

And we had our last Worldmark presentation this spring when the gal spent an hour thinking for some reason we had any interest whatsoever in hearing about what Wyndham was doing splitting off one part of their business from another, and who'd just come in as CEO. It would behoove those salespeople to adjust their spiel to whether they have an old time Worldmark owner or not. Wyndham is a dirty word in our book. So after our hour was up she hadn't even begun to tell us what she had for us, but we were done. She stomped off in a huff, which of course made me seek her out and extend my hand for her to shake while I thanked her for her time!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but if someone is constantly doing presentations just for the incentives they are eventually going to get the reaction the OP got. I am not saying it is justified, but in reality it is inevitable. Also, keep in mind that the clueless buyers are paying for those gifts. I don’t do presentations anymore for those two reasons.

I guess I am a member of your club. Although I stopped attending presentations if I was interested in the Resort, I would stop by the Sales Office in the afternoon, tell them I was not looking for a gift and ask for a tour. I was never turned down and while walking around with the Sales Rep would manage not only to see the Resort and rooms but also to get all my questions answered. I don't recall ever having a bad experience doing this...

George

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love the Marriott product and might even consider converting our weeks to points, but I told Rick I would like to buy a few additional weeks before doing it. Then I saw here on TUG that no real deals for resale buyers to convert their weeks, so I don't go to Marriott sales' presentations anymore.

We went to one probably 12 years ago, while at Cypress Harbour with our grown son, and it was a total disaster. I just wanted to get out of there. I couldn't stand the salesperson. I wrote about it back then, and Dave M. said the salesperson lied about everything, and I knew it. He was so awful and really tried to get our son to buy.

The one we went to 15 years ago, over Memorial Day week at Willow Ridge in Branson on exchange, and the guy was so incredibly nice and patient and answered all of our questions, but he kind of decided we probably couldn't afford Marriott. I could just tell he thought we were broke. We weren't broke. I told him our timeshare we used to trade into the resort only had maintenance fees of about $375 per year. Maybe he thought we should stick with that plan. I don't know.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I am a member of your club. Although I stopped attending presentations if I was interested in the Resort, I would stop by the Sales Office in the afternoon, tell them I was not looking for a gift and ask for a tour. I was never turned down and while walking around with the Sales Rep would manage not only to see the Resort and rooms but also to get all my questions answered. I don't recall ever having a bad experience doing this...

George

I think your values are admirable. I really do.

If I had a "sales" not a "service" question, I'd do exactly what you do, and stop by the sales gallery for "sales" information, in a non-sales tour/no gift setting. We have always been treated graciously and professionally by Marriott Vacation Club sales people when we do that (who I think respect the fact that we are not taking them away from a viable sales prospect, or trying to mooch a gift from Marriott Vacation Club (with all due respect, our time on vacation has a much higher price tag attached to it, than the value of any "gift" that Marriott Vacation Club could possibly give us)).

Last edited: