• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stockholders of Marriott Vacations Worldwide and ILG Approve Merger

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
...and they will re-brand Hyatt Residences to one of their upscale brands e.g. Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, Westin etc.[/QUOTE]

Just as a scenario...in each specific HRC location, would the owners (of deeded weeks) have to vote for such a re-alignment? Could the owners or even the developer revolt and reject such a re-brand?
Marriott did this merger to make more money. The only reason any corporation exists. So I wonder aloud also if they would make "moves" to devalue HCR, and dump Hyatt, with the end game of re-branding and buying the deeds up on the cheap? Those nice colorful "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" banners do play well.[/QUOTE]
You say "Marriott did this merger to make more money. The only reason any corporation exists."

Three comments:

1. You're right.
  2. You say it in a disparaging way, as if the evil Marriott Corporation has arrived to foul up your Hyatt ownership. Not right.
  3. Why? Remember, the Marriott Vacations Club company paid a huge premium for the Hyatt system. They would be undermining their own bottom line by "devaluing" HRC, "dumping Hyatt", and then re-branding. Not only would this be the height of management idiocy, but the company's shareholders would have the president's head on a plate. Hyatt is a crown jewel in this acquisition, so--if anything--Marriott may decide to find ways to further upgrade HRC in order to further differentiate it from its Vistana and Marriott holdings.
Ultimately, no one knows what Marriott's strategy will be, but the branding and market segmentation strategy makes a lot of sense, and--as I mentioned in an earlier post here--Marriott has proven that it understands well how to slice and dice its target market with great marketing success.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
...and they will re-brand Hyatt Residences to one of their upscale brands e.g. Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, Westin etc.

Just as a scenario...in each specific HRC location, would the owners (of deeded weeks) have to vote for such a re-alignment? Could the owners or even the developer revolt and reject such a re-brand?
Marriott did this merger to make more money. The only reason any corporation exists. So I wonder aloud also if they would make "moves" to devalue HCR, and dump Hyatt, with the end game of re-branding and buying the deeds up on the cheap? Those nice colorful "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" banners do play well.[/QUOTE]
You say "Marriott did this merger to make more money. The only reason any corporation exists."

Three comments:

1. You're right.
  2. You say it in a disparaging way, as if the evil Marriott Corporation has arrived to foul up your Hyatt ownership. Not right.
  3. Why? Remember, the Marriott Vacations Club company paid a huge premium for the Hyatt system. They would be undermining their own bottom line by "devaluing" HRC, "dumping Hyatt", and then re-branding. Not only would this be the height of management idiocy, but the company's shareholders would have the president's head on a plate. Hyatt is a crown jewel in this acquisition, so--if anything--Marriott may decide to find ways to further upgrade HRC in order to further differentiate it from its Vistana and Marriott holdings.
Ultimately, no one knows what Marriott's strategy will be, but the branding and market segmentation strategy makes a lot of sense, and--as I mentioned in an earlier post here--Marriott has proven that it understands well how to slice and dice its target market with great marketing success.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious what you think of the attached screen shot showing all of the Marriott brands under one group, and then Hyatt separated to the side.

index.php

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you think of the attached screen shot showing all of the Marriott brands under one group, and then Hyatt separated to the side.

index.php

Off to the right AND with a separating vertical line between Hyatt and all the Marriott brands!

As a Hyatt owner, I'm more comfortable with a Marroitt flag overhead than an ILG flag/rag.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Marriott did this merger to make more money. The only reason any corporation exists. So I wonder aloud also if they would make "moves" to devalue HCR, and dump Hyatt, with the end game of re-branding and buying the deeds up on the cheap? Those nice colorful "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" banners do play well.

Three comments:

1. You're right.
Ultimately, no one knows what Marriott's strategy will be, but the branding and market segmentation strategy makes a lot of sense, and--as I mentioned in an earlier post here--Marriott has proven that it understands well how to slice and dice its target market with great marketing success.[/QUOTE]

index.php
[/QUOTE]
Interesting, Sapper. I had not seen this, as I am not a Marriott owner. My immediate impression is this: now that Marriott has this huge portfolio of some of the most enviable properties in the timeshare industry, they need to work on differentiation. For example, who could describe the difference between a Marriott timeshare and a Westin timeshare? Whatever differences there are, they are subtle at best and immaterial in most cases. By the same token, I imagine Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis are very similar as well. Having brands that trip over each other or compete directly with each other makes no sense--and so Marriott has most likely been holding strategy sessions to begin the assignment of "brand personalities" aimed at segmenting the market more effectively.

As to why HRC is separated, that's really interesting. If you look at the arrangement of the various brands listed, they run to the high end, luxury brands on the far right. And while I love HRC, there's no way Hyatt is more luxurious than Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis. All of the other brands listed are those truly owned by Marriott--either under their hotel company, their timeshare company, or both--except for Hyatt.

Marriott is going to want to own the brand--and so my guess is that they will execute one of two strategies: 1) re-brand HRC and create a brand that is distinctly different than the others. This will take time, will require the approval of the various properties' boards, and will require a lot of consumer education as to why the new "X" brand is different from the others; 2) spin off the HRC product altogether. The second option is more expedient, but I doubt Marriott wants to let HRC go because of its unique locations.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Three comments:

1. You're right.
Ultimately, no one knows what Marriott's strategy will be, but the branding and market segmentation strategy makes a lot of sense, and--as I mentioned in an earlier post here--Marriott has proven that it understands well how to slice and dice its target market with great marketing success.

index.php
[/QUOTE]
Interesting, Sapper. I had not seen this, as I am not a Marriott owner. My immediate impression is this: now that Marriott has this huge portfolio of some of the most enviable properties in the timeshare industry, they need to work on differentiation. For example, who could describe the difference between a Marriott timeshare and a Westin timeshare? Whatever differences there are, they are subtle at best and immaterial in most cases. By the same token, I imagine Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis are very similar as well. Having brands that trip over each other or compete directly with each other makes no sense--and so Marriott has most likely been holding strategy sessions to begin the assignment of "brand personalities" aimed at segmenting the market more effectively.

As to why HRC is separated, that's really interesting. If you look at the arrangement of the various brands listed, they run to the high end, luxury brands on the far right. And while I love HRC, there's no way Hyatt is more luxurious than Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis. All of the other brands listed are those truly owned by Marriott--either under their hotel company, their timeshare company, or both--except for Hyatt.

Marriott is going to want to own the brand--and so my guess is that they will execute one of two strategies: 1) re-brand HRC and create a brand that is distinctly different than the others. This will take time, will require the approval of the various properties' boards, and will require a lot of consumer education as to why the new "X" brand is different from the others; 2) spin off the HRC product altogether. The second option is more expedient, but I doubt Marriott wants to let HRC go because of its unique locations.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.
[/QUOTE]

Your last paragraph is my prediction exactly. I suspect it is one of these two options for HRC but I agree HRC has some great locations that MVC would be wise to keep.

The one thing I do not agree with is that Marriott is a very good brand manager. I suspect they will keep all the existing brand names except for Hyatt. They have not done any real differentiation of the brands they owned pre-merger so I would suspect they would not do a good job post-merger. I do not know the difference between any of the Marriott brands except Ritz Carlton is high end/luxury and all their other brands are lower end. I would argue that the Marriott brand name is perceived as somewhat more downscale than what Marriott has tried to position itself as. The quality of Marriott-branded hotels varies trememdously too.

To qualify, I do not think Marriott, Westin and Hyatt are differentiated either. If I did not read TUG, I would lump them all together in ther same category. I have always seen the Sheraton brand name as a lower level hotel.

I do not see any brand difference with Ritz Carlton, St Regis and Four Seasons. I may perceive RC and FS as slightly more upscale than St Regis. Not sure why I feel that way.

I think The W has done a good job of branding both in terms of the product and the marketing. It is the only one of the bunch that really feels different. It is more hip, high energy and seems to target a youngish crowd. The rooms and hotels feel very trendy.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think HRC off to the side with the separation is simply just a result of that brand not being part of the same hotel group. Not much to read in to there.

eokimber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar
Would most Hyatt owners prefer to be spinned off and sold or would you prefer to be integrated into Marriott Vacation Club and have all your current choices as well as all the new options under the Marriott umbrella?
Prefer to stay Hyatt, and with the associated benefit of pushing points into Gold Passport. I have stayed at Marriot resorts and did not like the size, although the experiences were okay.

The new Portfolio program Hyatt floated this year has not been snapped up by Hyatt owners, but we saw possibilities with the Marriot deal and did enroll. Will see how it irons out.