• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Still the happiest place on earth ... not in my experience.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just out of curiosity, why are people who are not interested in Disney reading and commenting here?

On another topic, I noticed there is a lot of misinformation on this thread. I feel sorry for people reading the Disney Vacation Club threads and leaving with negative impressions because people who do not own DVC are spreading inaccurate information. I have noticed this not just on this thread but on almost all threads related to Disney.

I personally have a curiosity for lots of topics- nothing more to it than that. As much as I loved Disney, Epcot and Universal when I visited, I find it interesting how people go back to Disney over and over again.

Probably just how they would not understand how I go back year after year to Vermont (and our timeshare at Smuggs) (and NH).

I once had a coworker say to me- "what do you DO in Vermont"? She was there once and didn't get it.

That is what makes us all different and having various perspectives. And that is what makes for interesting discussions on many topics.

What- people can't make comments if they are not commenting the way you want them to? And- if people are giving inaccurate information there are others who can and usually do add corrective information.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just for the record, I am not planning to keep my Disney timeshares over the long term. I fell into DVC in 2017 for family reasons and the family dynamics changed. I decided since I paid so much in upfront fees, I might as well be a kid myself and enjoy DVC and Disney for awhile. I could have sold all my points and not lost any money but I chose to hold and enjoy for a couple of years. There are many fun adult things to do. We have never had kids but we were trying to adopt. It fell through and I had already bought the DVC points. I was being overly optimistic about our truly screwed up adoption system, not realizing things could fall through even after telling children that they had new parents. (Okay, I will stop before I get into an adoption system rant, which would lead me into a government rant and somehow all my rants always come back to we pay to much in taxes for getting little to no services. But I am not going to go there today. LOL)

I am sorry to hear about the adoption issue. That has to be painful.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad you posted this and provided some hard data. With what I have read on this thread, I would have gotten the impression that Disney is really screwing the consumer. Inflation averaged about 2% since 1998. It sounds like the annual pass rate has gone up by 3-4% a year annualized since 1998. Since interest compounds quicker at a higher base, the Disney annual pass would not be exactly double the rate of inflation but even if it were, that would be an average of 4% a year. That is not completely out of line given all the innovation that has happened at Disney in this time period and that you are getting a very different product from 21 years ago.

The government reported inflation numbers adjust for improvements. So they do something like, "the cost of TVs is up 7%, but the TV were are using to measure is 5% better than last year, so the inflation on TVs is 2%" TVs are a random example, but like most things they are dramatically improved since the 70s, which lowers the reported inflation rate materially. Another big factor is that a lot more offshore labor at very low prices is included now (that TV was probably made in China by people making less than US minimum wage).

Given Disney world has gotten a lot better over the years (more parks, rides, shows, etc) the reported inflation rate isn't a good metric. You aren't buying the same thing you were when it opened.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the folks questioning why people go back over and over again.....the junkies who I know love routines and who want to do the same family vacation every year. People also love the fact that it takes them back to their youth with timeless characters and experiences. You are truly in a fantasy world and not an amusement park. This is what they market and deliver. Pay attention to how the workers interact with you and themselves next time you go. Try to find something messy, broken, or sloppy. They hide this stuff. If you ever drive around WDW at about 5:30 am you will see a small army of people picking up trash fixing landscaping, etc. This is just outside the park. Imagine what happens inside.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the folks questioning why people go back over and over again.....the junkies who I know love routines and who want to do the same family vacation every year. People also love the fact that it takes them back to their youth with timeless characters and experiences. You are truly in a fantasy world and not an amusement park. This is what they market and deliver. Pay attention to how the workers interact with you and themselves next time you go. Try to find something messy, broken, or sloppy. They hide this stuff. If you ever drive around WDW at about 5:30 am you will see a small army of people picking up trash fixing landscaping, etc. This is just outside the park. Imagine what happens inside.

Being a bit rough on those who enjoy Disney World wouldn't say?

There are those that prefer "routines" and wouldn't have it any other way. Defining these individuals as "junkies", may be overstepping. I for one don't mind being taken back to my youth by, "timeless characters and experiences". Enjoying the occasional "fantasy world" in life isn't such a bad thing. Also, I don't recall ever having an employee at Disney World interact in a manner that wasn't nice. Just my opinion though. I must ask, just where do they, "hide" all the, "messy, broken, or sloppy"? Just a thought and purely speculation but, these may be placed in the proper trash containers for disposal.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Given Disney world has gotten a lot better over the years (more parks, rides, shows, etc) the reported inflation rate isn't a good metric. You aren't buying the same thing you were when it opened.

Yes, that is true. Wait until Star Wars opens at DL and DW. Both parks will be packed with people for 2-3 years after those areas open. Disney knows how to get people to keep coming back.

Our son is a huge Star Wars fan. He is excited to take his daughter to see what Disney does with Star Wars. Our little granddaughter is only 20 months, and she has already been to Disney World three times (five total weeks) and Disneyland once. Just wait until Star Wars opens.

When we went last month, our son and I stayed with the baby while Rick and our daughter-in-law rode Tower of Terror. Our daughter-in-law said, "She won't sit still at all for the Beauty and the Beast show." Josh and I went over anyway, and Elizabeth adored the show. She kept smiling and looking at me, like, "I know this movie, and now it's real." She is already a Disney nut.

They need to make a Moana ride. Our granddaughter loves that movie. When Maui sings, "What can I say except you're welcome, I'm just an ordinary demi-guy," Elizabeth gets up and really dances to that song. I mean, she is crazy nuts over that music in the movie. She knows when each song is coming on, and whatever toy she is playing with gets thrown on the floor, so she can get up and dance!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
The government reported inflation numbers adjust for improvements. So they do something like, "the cost of TVs is up 7%, but the TV were are using to measure is 5% better than last year, so the inflation on TVs is 2%" TVs are a random example, but like most things they are dramatically improved since the 70s, which lowers the reported inflation rate materially. Another big factor is that a lot more offshore labor at very low prices is included now (that TV was probably made in China by people making less than US minimum wage).

I will disagree somewhat. You are paying for a fixed time of entertainment. That is the same in the comparison. The improvements you mention are more a factor of wanting to stay longer. That is apples and oranges. Improvements keep people coming and keep them longer, but a day or a week's entertainment is constant. Also no one has mentioned all the special event parties now. The day pass now can get you 2/3 of a day a few years ago. Now the technological advancements do change the calculus and change the basic value of the day's entertainment. Obviously avatar land and 20,000 leagues under the sea are different experiences. I will point out that at the magic kingdom the original E rides are all there but the mentioned 20,000 leagues and some rides have not changed much since they debuted in the 68 NY worlds fair. Does anybody know the rise over the same time for Busch Gardens. I think they are the closest comparison.

This thread is pointing out that there are two types of people in this world. No not cat or dog people. It is disney lover and disney hater. I am actually a disney lover evidenced by a lot of time spent at DW. It has moved away from me not because of the parks. I have constantly postponed my next trip due to the crowds and a general opinion that the experience has gone down hill. I read the disboards which attract both types of people. The general complaint there is they have built so many rooms there and need to fill them. This has led to big crowds in the park even on historically low periods. Last year it was identified that disney was closing down ride capacity under the assumption they were trying to cut down on labor costs. This was generating lines in january even bigger than summer including waits that averaged over an hour for fast pass lines. It is early to know if this year is the same. I understand that the latest and greatest rides will generate big lines. In the past we have been there at rope drop and hit a ride or two before they got insane. The rest of the day was a nice day of less popular rides and just chilling. There were also a lot of complaints about the shape the parks were in. A lot of trash and even worse ride closures were common. To get your money's worth now you have to start at 6 months out with dining reservations and then like others have said get your fast pass the second the window opens. Last year the new rides were impossible to get unless you stayed on property. I have back and knee problems and lines are a problem over time. Everybody's situation is different, but for me as much as I do love disney it does not work for me. I miss those two week trips that left us happy and exhausted. I am sure Disney will thrive as long as the DW trip is a rite of passage not only in the US but world wide. I think they have to be careful though as the market is finite and keeping up the image as the happiest place on earth is crucial.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Disney lover here--who's about done with WDW park family vacations. We own DVC and still love WDW--it's its own compound with lots to do outside of the parks. We went at least every other Easter/Christmas for 10+ years. My son caught his 1st bass at Ft Wilderness. DD rode horses and took archery lessons. We have countless great character photos on our walls. We have roasted many marshmellows and sung with Chip and Dale.
DD, now 17, asked to go back for spring break. But, her 4 day base ticket cost almost $400. I can't really justify $2K for family of 5 for 4 park days. It was a great run, including 5 RCI-DVC trades, which were much more cost effetive than using DVC points. We'll still go, but likely mostly DH and I and stay in a DVC studio, which is a great value, and enjoy the pools, restaurants and maybe pop into a park for 1 day.
OT--same issue with DCL. We took 9 people in 3 cabins for under $3K over spring break in 2007. The rates are astronomical now.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are those that prefer "routines" and wouldn't have it any other way. Defining these individuals as "junkies", may be overstepping. I for one don't mind being taken back to my youth by, "timeless characters and experiences". Enjoying the occasional "fantasy world" in life isn't such a bad thing. Also, I don't recall ever having an employee at Disney World interact in a manner that wasn't nice. Just my opinion though. I must ask, just where do they, "hide" all the, "messy, broken, or sloppy"? Just a thought and purely speculation but, these may be placed in the proper trash containers for disposal.

I have no idea why you took my post as negative. I'm personally a huge Disney person and have been on week long Disney trips about 15 times. I do think people are junkies about Disney, and I mean it just as defined. They can't get enough and go back to the mouse time and time again. That's not a bad thing, but it is something that many people don't understand.

My discussion about the workers, cleaners, etc. are all about how they make it perfect, almost too perfect, but that's what they want you to see to keep the fantasy going. Again, not a bad thing. For the broken/messy part and also with renovations, etc. they hide it. When something becomes broken you will often see a sign or tarp in front so you don't see what's behind it and it usually has some sort of message that is funny or eye catching and maybe with a character. Again, it is a way to keep the reality shielded from the public. Here's an example. When you are on Test Track at Epcot you can briefly see what Epcot looks like from behind the park. There are work trucks, stacks of boxes, dumpsters, and other things you would expect to see, but you don't. My son got burned in the Biergarten one time when he spilled hot soup and we were quickly ushered out the back to a golf cart that took us to the first aid station. We were in the middle of the back lot of Epcot. Again, not something you see, and seeing it makes you understand that the park is just an elaborate representation of the "pretty stuff". Disney is expert in making sure that you only see what they want you to see. It's all part of the magic.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
A Google satellite picture of Disney World is kind of fun to look at. The rides look great from the streets of Disney, but the ride is in a warehouse that you cannot see. Disney definitely is different in that back lot.

I am disappointed the Chinese Theater with the movie ride is going to be another roller coaster. It might be cute, but the movie ride was one-of-a-kind and very popular with little kids, especially Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Movie Ride was one of my favorites, plus it was pretty long and air conditioned.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Google satellite picture of Disney World is kind of fun to look at. The rides look great from the streets of Disney, but the ride is in a warehouse that you cannot see. Disney definitely is different in that back lot.

I am disappointed the Chinese Theater with the movie ride is going to be another roller coaster. It might be cute, but the movie ride was one-of-a-kind and very popular with little kids, especially Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins.

Great Movie Ride was one of my favorites, plus it was pretty long and air conditioned.

We always used that one for a nice break too. Usually rode it 3 times a day with no line. I suspect the no line is why it now will be something else. I know they keep track of riders and if a ride is declining it is time to refurb or change.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will disagree somewhat. You are paying for a fixed time of entertainment. That is the same in the comparison. The improvements you mention are more a factor of wanting to stay longer. That is apples and oranges. Improvements keep people coming and keep them longer, but a day or a week's entertainment is constant.

Fair enough. My point was more that the reported inflation rate adjusts for changes in "Value recieved" which makes the reported inflation rate lower. (My car has heated seats etc, but still cost way more than a sedan from the 70s. It gets me from place to place just the same though).

If someone is going to use value adjusted inflation numbers to compare the price of Disney tickets to the past, I think it is reasonable to value adjust the Disney experience as well. Flight of Pandora isn't quite the same as Small World...

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why you took my post as negative. I'm personally a huge Disney person and have been on week long Disney trips about 15 times. I do think people are junkies about Disney, and I mean it just as defined. They can't get enough and go back to the mouse time and time again. That's not a bad thing, but it is something that many people don't understand.

My discussion about the workers, cleaners, etc. are all about how they make it perfect, almost too perfect, but that's what they want you to see to keep the fantasy going. Again, not a bad thing. For the broken/messy part and also with renovations, etc. they hide it. When something becomes broken you will often see a sign or tarp in front so you don't see what's behind it and it usually has some sort of message that is funny or eye catching and maybe with a character. Again, it is a way to keep the reality shielded from the public. Here's an example. When you are on Test Track at Epcot you can briefly see what Epcot looks like from behind the park. There are work trucks, stacks of boxes, dumpsters, and other things you would expect to see, but you don't. My son got burned in the Biergarten one time when he spilled hot soup and we were quickly ushered out the back to a golf cart that took us to the first aid station. We were in the middle of the back lot of Epcot. Again, not something you see, and seeing it makes you understand that the park is just an elaborate representation of the "pretty stuff". Disney is expert in making sure that you only see what they want you to see. It's all part of the magic.

Thanks for the explanation and I'm sorry you had such a bad time. I hope everything turned out well for your Son.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The title is taking issue with Disney's advertising old slogan "The happiest place on earth." I have had enjoyable times, but I didn't find it true. I started with the sheer expense that can be racked up in the park. As stated before, I observed many tied people drudging through the park.

Now there's something you don't see every day! :D

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I think most people like routine and repeat the same vacations over and over. The reason I discovered at age 53 that I like Disney is for the second reason you cited. It does feel like a fantasy world that takes you back to your youth and I love the characters. I had not been to Disney World since I was 18 and went for the first time last year. I was surprised at how fun it was. However, I must admit I was bored at the Magic Kingdom (been there, done that too many times as a kid). I really enjoyed Animal Kingdom and other “newer” experiences. Next time I go to WDW, I may skip the Magic Kingdom. I love the DVC resorts in and of themselves. I could just hang out at the resorts and be happy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

It is ironic that the same people who put Disney down for being fake often enjoy other less healthy, artificial experiences.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Disney (Fla) one day ticket prices at $129 + $48 parking - wow !!!
You know, everyone always is complaining about how expensive Disney is, but how does it compare to other popular family all-day entertainment activities?

So being from Colorado, skiing is a major entertainment activity around here. Guess what? Lift ticket prices make a day a Disney seem like a bargain!

Vail, Beaver Creek’s single-day, window lift ticket price breaks $200

And that is just the lift ticket. Then you need to add in equipment rental / costs, parking, food, etc. A family of 4 could easily have to drop $1000-1200 for a day's entertainment -- and that just for 6-7 hours! Puts Mickey to shame.

Kurt

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is ironic that the same people who put Disney down for being fake often enjoy other less healthy, artificial experiences.

I have no impression that anyone here has put down disney because it is fake. People have said too crowded, too expensive, and a few say it is just not for them. I believe those are all valid reasons to not go to disney. Also you will have to explain to me what you mean by less healthy,artificial experiences. I honestly have no clue. People like different things. We took family vacations backpacking. Most people would consider that torture and would pay not to do it.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, everyone always is complaining about how expensive Disney is, but how does it compare to other popular family all-day entertainment activities?

So being from Colorado, skiing is a major entertainment activity around here. Guess what? Lift ticket prices make a day a Disney seem like a bargain!

Vail, Beaver Creek’s single-day, window lift ticket price breaks $200

And that is just the lift ticket. Then you need to add in equipment rental / costs, parking, food, etc. A family of 4 could easily have to drop $1000-1200 for a day's entertainment -- and that just for 6-7 hours! Puts Mickey to shame.

Kurt

As a skier and a disney lover I hate the truth in your post. Both examples are the extreme of each. We still ski and use bargain days (cann't handle the 5 day ticket anymore) and took up snow shoeing to fill in the time. Skiing has priced out families unless you are fairly well off. The ski industry has had it's problems as very few ski resorts make a lot of profit. If it were not for real estate sales a lot of good resorts would have folded. I worry that disney will have the same problem over time. I have heard Vail referred to as the disneyland of skiing and not because of the pricing.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

I don't think any slight was intended by the OP. The people who go time after time to Disney World have no problem with calling themselves or being referred to as Disney junkies or Disneyholics. I've seen a few other cute names too.

We live in Florida and have two granddaughters, 7 and 2. This Fall was our first time taking both girls to the Disney Parks and the first time for the younger one. With our older granddaughter my husband took her to Legoland and was often the one to take her to the pools at the different resorts we stayed at and I took her to the Disney Parks. That worked out well and we both got breaks. Now that there are two of them to keep up with we both go. Plus they are 5 years apart in age and the younger one can't do all the rides her sister can. Hearing the older one tell her sister at the Frozen Sing-A-Long show that it was the "good Eric" narrating or out the hundreds of times she and I have seen the Lion King show it was only the second time we'd sat in the Lion section or at Enchanted Tales with Belle how she'd been every character in the skit made my husband fear for his future sanity if he has to do the same shows over and over and over. But it made us realize that these things are a big deal to her and how much she enjoys being there. Lucky for him that the two year old loves the rides; a number of them that her seven year old sister wouldn't have any part of doing until she was five. I told him wait until it gets hot and/or he's tired; he will be more than happy to sit and be in air conditioning even if it means seeing the same shows over and over. A good time for Papa to check his eyelids for leaks.

Sometimes I get blase about the Disney Parks because I've gone so much but seeing it through the younger granddaughter's eyes for her first time or through other visitors eyes who are first timers brings home to me that Disney really is magical for most people. I always advise people that they and their family will enjoy it so much more if they pull the kids out of school and go at a non-peak time or when it isn't so hot. When the Parks are packed and/or it is in the mid 80's and up it can be difficult to "feel the magic". I always like going to Epcot during the Flower and Garden Festival. This year we saw the Christmas time Candlelight Processional show for the first time. There really are very good reasons people like to go back to Disney World over and over.