• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Give back your unwanted wyndham Timeshare - Wyndham Ovations / Wyndham Cares / Certified Exit

bondy3

Reaction score
is it possible to give back your points but still keep your contract? (for the RCI membership)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
is it possible to give back your points but still keep your contract? (for the RCI membership)

Do you mean unconvert and leave it a fixed week?

By the time you would pay the RCI fee, which is currently built into your club fee, you aren't really paying much more than that for the Club Fee.

bondy3

Reaction score
Do you mean unconvert and leave it a fixed week?

By the time you would pay the RCI fee, which is currently built into your club fee, you aren't really paying much more than that for the Club Fee.

I mean give all my points back and only have access to RCI last call and only pay the 129/yr for the club fee

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean give all my points back and only have access to RCI last call and only pay the 129/yr for the club fee

Oh no.

If you want to do that, you can pick up any interval out there that is an RCI resort, pay your own membership fee to RCI, then sell off the membership. The Wyndham-connected membership depends on a non-delinquent Club Wyndham contract to keep it going.

bksmm

Reaction score
We have 231k points in 2 contracts that we had bought resale many years ago (182k are a converted fixed week and 49k are UDI). We want to give back the 182k since Fairfield Mountains at Lake Lure have raised the fees by an insane amount over the years (they cite increased health care costs and bad debt as the primary reasons). Is it worth it to keep the 49k at Sedona? I know we would have to pay the minimum program fee but I'm not sure what that threshold is. And I guess we wouldn't get a reservation transaction having less than 77k points.

Having read several threads about Ovation, it seems that when the transfer to Wyndham takes place any unused points, existing reservations, and points deposited into RCI are forfeited. So if we keep the 49k contract, how do they decide which points were used? Also, since our 182k are a converted fixed week which has fees prepaid, will they give us a refund of the fees we paid for next year?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 231k points in 2 contracts that we had bought resale many years ago (182k are a converted fixed week and 49k are UDI). We want to give back the 182k since Fairfield Mountains at Lake Lure have raised the fees by an insane amount over the years (they cite increased health care costs and bad debt as the primary reasons). Is it worth it to keep the 49k at Sedona? I know we would have to pay the minimum program fee but I'm not sure what that threshold is. And I guess we wouldn't get a reservation transaction having less than 77k points.

Having read several threads about Ovation, it seems that when the transfer to Wyndham takes place any unused points, existing reservations, and points deposited into RCI are forfeited. So if we keep the 49k contract, how do they decide which points were used? Also, since our 182k are a converted fixed week which has fees prepaid, will they give us a refund of the fees we paid for next year?

Yes you can give back one of your two contracts
I doubt that you will get anything back for pre paid maintenence fee
If you keep the small contract you will keep your Rci account

Call ovation and ask your specific questions of them. I'm sure they will answer them

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
I have points at Bali Hai and Makai Club both on Kauai. Makai Club was not bought from Wyndham but on the resale market. I called today even though my ovation inquiry email was vague. I was accepted into Ovation for both contracts. You have to be current on all fees and no loans or reservations. I pay my annual fees by monthly deduction and this will continue until I send back the paperwork. I was also told they are not processing any more "inventory return to exit ownership" properties until 2017 and just trying to get caught up with 2016. I was given a file # and will wait to see what happens in 2017. Thanks to all Tuggers who have posted info as my sister owns in Shell and the comments here were helpful.

keys2heaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with Wyndham Ovation thus far:

First, we have a 182,000 points TS tied to Wyndham Fairfield Plantation (Villa Rica, GA). After submitting an online request to request a deed back of the points, as my wife was diagnosed with MS in 2014 and can't travel as much anymore, I received a response from Ovation directing me to a couple of trusted resellers.

I certainly wasn't happy with that response, so I called the Ovation number directly. I was then told that this property is not in Wyndham's desirable list and they will not take it back.

We owe nothing (bought it on resale) and only pay MF.

I've got inquiries into the two resellers they directed me to, but will mostly likely not hear back as it is close to the holidays.

Bottom line is that they aren't taking back all points. You won't know until you call or ask.

If anyone is interested in these points, I'll pay for closing if you pay transfer fee. I have not banked any 2017 points.

mkeys67@comcast.net

Regards,

Mike

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
be best if you post your points for free/giveaway in the bargain deals section with all the appropriate details.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I wonder if Wyndham has been exercising right of first refusal more since they started Ovation. I know someone on here was able to turn in a small Branson contract. I bought a big one for $1. It was just sent to Wyndham to complete the transfer. I'm concerned they will exercise ROFR.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I checked my 21 page document and didn't see anything in there about it, but I've seen a few threads about how they didn't exercise right of first refusal. Not that it wasn't an option, so I was not sure. Thank you for the input.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
I have points at Bali Hai and Makai Club both on Kauai. Makai Club was not bought from Wyndham but on the resale market. I called today even though my ovation inquiry email was vague. I was accepted into Ovation for both contracts. You have to be current on all fees and no loans or reservations. I pay my annual fees by monthly deduction and this will continue until I send back the paperwork. I was also told they are not processing any more "inventory return to exit ownership" properties until 2017 and just trying to get caught up with 2016. I was given a file # and will wait to see what happens in 2017. Thanks to all Tuggers who have posted info as my sister owns in Shell and the comments here were helpful.
Update: I received my Ovation email today and it only included an offer for Bali Hai and gave me 21 days to return paperwork. Prior to that I had contracted the POA Board President to ask if there were any options for Makai Club short of trying to sell. In a few days I got email from Grand Pacific which is the management company they are now using (used to be Wyndham). I called today and they offered the same deal as Ovation. The TAKEAWAY: call your POA board and see what they will do for you. Costs them a lot less than legal process of fee nonpayment and default. Again this forum has been invaluable for help!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on the success of both ownerships there!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Update: I received my Ovation email today and it only included an offer for Bali Hai and gave me 21 days to return paperwork. Prior to that I had contracted the POA Board President to ask if there were any options for Makai Club short of trying to sell. In a few days I got email from Grand Pacific which is the management company they are now using (used to be Wyndham). I called today and they offered the same deal as Ovation. The TAKEAWAY: call your POA board and see what they will do for you. Costs them a lot less than legal process of fee nonpayment and default. Again this forum has been invaluable for help!

That is great! I see that you mentioned you cannot give back your ownership if you have made reservations. That is what I was looking for with my post questioning this process. I am not a Wyndham owner but I own at Smugglers Notch and they are developing something along with Wyndham to take back inventory.

I had just made an exchange through Trading Places for 2018 and was wondering if this would be an issue, because we would want to give back ours at some point and are not sure they will offer the program in the future.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
Generally it appears most companies cancel the reservations unless you have you booked thru exchange company. The reversion paperwork clearly states everything would cancel and that could be reason to reject or not offer. With Diamond we had a reservation, started the process, received the paperwork, went on vacation and mailed the paperwork in.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Generally it appears most companies cancel the reservations unless you have you booked thru exchange company. The reversion paperwork clearly states everything would cancel and that could be reason to reject or not offer. With Diamond we had a reservation, started the process, received the paperwork, went on vacation and mailed the paperwork in.

Even transferring within family (from my Dad to me and my siblings) they may cancel existing reservations. The people at Ovations could not definitively answer that question. Therefore, I haven't done anything. I'd like to take advantage of the "free" transfer but if I do, since they can't tell me for sure how it will work, I can't risk having any existing reservations at the time I do it (which will take some challenging planning on my part). Nor do you know exactly when it will happen or how long it will take.

With all things Wyndham, you really don't know exactly how something is going to work (nor does Wyndham) until it actually happens.

Ovations seems like a great program, but I also plan to move very cautiously.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
New Update! I tried to view my Wyndham account on 1/27 and I have been locked out. Wyndham said they got new deed on 1/24. I asked how I would have known this if I didn't keep checking the account and they said it takes about 30 days for a written letter to arrive. Still working on Makai Club but it is underway and progressing.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
New Update! I tried to view my Wyndham account on 1/27 and I have been locked out. Wyndham said they got new deed on 1/24. I asked how I would have known this if I didn't keep checking the account and they said it takes about 30 days for a written letter to arrive. Still working on Makai Club but it is underway and progressing.
2/14 Update - On the Makai Club deedback - I was advised to write letters to 3 places to request my Makai Club be unlinked from Club Wyndham Plus (CWP). I had to do this as I was going from points in CWP back to a float week for deedback. I did that and received confirmation by my phone call that 2 places got it but CWP was being very difficult and after 1+ hour on the phone I called the time share directly. They agreed to help and tried to get CWP to respond to them and after 2 weeks I called CWP back, selected 3 then 2 from the phone menu and demanded to speak to an Owner Care Manager. He could see this all in my file and even read it off to me. He was mystified as to why I couldn't get it in writing. He sent me an email verification which I forwarded to the title company that will handle the deedback. Hope this helps someone who may have a property Wyndham would not take into Ovation.

Last edited:

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
2/21 Update - I received a letter dated 2/14 that referenced my contract # and stated" ... is to confirm that we are in receipt of the required documents to transfer your ownership interest to (Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc) for contract#"... lots more about a customer survey and then "In the event it is determined that the deed does not correctly convey title, we will contact you to obtain the documents required to properly relinquish your ownership. Failure to provide the requested documentation may result in the reinstatement of your contract, at which time you will reassume responsibility for all fees associated with the account." Filing this away as done!

itsjai

Reaction score
Returned 6 deeds so far. Been quite easy. Some Wyndham resorts don't qualify (Fox Run) I had 1 Million points in resale and got platinum for some time then they pulled the rug. Was not able to rent easily so started returning a couple at a time (in case they dont take any if i gave them a big chunk)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
read first post of this thread =)

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
2/14 Update - On the Makai Club deedback - I was advised to write letters to 3 places to request my Makai Club be unlinked from Club Wyndham Plus (CWP). I had to do this as I was going from points in CWP back to a float week for deedback. I did that and received confirmation by my phone call that 2 places got it but CWP was being very difficult and after 1+ hour on the phone I called the time share directly. They agreed to help and tried to get CWP to respond to them and after 2 weeks I called CWP back, selected 3 then 2 from the phone menu and demanded to speak to an Owner Care Manager. He could see this all in my file and even read it off to me. He was mystified as to why I couldn't get it in writing. He sent me an email verification which I forwarded to the title company that will handle the deedback. Hope this helps someone who may have a property Wyndham would not take into Ovation.
5/12 Today I received a copy of the recorded deed for the Makai Club transferring my ownership back to the POA. The POA agreed to take my unit back. The work was done thru a title company and they had some personnel issues, it took almost 4 months but it cost me nothing and I did not receive any hassling emails about past due fees so the communication internally seemed to be good. I recommend contacting the POA if Wyndham does not accept your timeshare in Ovation. Tuggers are the best.