• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I certainly am sorry you feel the way that you do, I wasnt implying that the issue didnt exist for you, and I even provided you a solution that you confirmed takes care of the problem in question and provides you what you need.

Unfortunately you feel that the 2 extra clicks of a mouse make the site "too tedious" for you to use, and for that I am sorry.

I feel thats a bit of an overreaction, but unfortunately I have no better solution for you at this time.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I certainly am sorry you feel the way that you do, I wasnt implying that the issue didnt exist for you, and I even provided you a solution that you confirmed takes care of the problem in question and provides you what you need.

Unfortunately you feel that the 2 extra clicks of a mouse make the site "too tedious" for you to use, and for that I am sorry.

I feel thats a bit of an overreaction, but unfortunately I have no better solution for you at this time.

Brian, do you understand it is NOT just two clicks, it is two clicks every time you view any listing.

Whatever, I am done trying to get you to understand that a functionality you had previously is lost.

H

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really dont quite understand your increasing hostility when I am simply trying to assist you.

Its truly not warranted.

as Ive mentioned in the past (clearly multiple times)...I cannot reproduce your problem on any computer I own...less than a fraction of a % of the individuals that use the marketplace experience this issue (to date, just the two of you above)....ive just clicked on every single one of the exchange links, and they are all sorted chronologically by default be it when im logged in to the site (cookie remembers your settings) and not logged in (using default setting).

There is still a way for you to get the search order you are looking for (and it requires an extra 2 clicks of your mouse)...but that does not seem to satisfy you and I have apologized for that.

another option you can do is instead of clicking "view ad", try right clicking it and opening it up in a new window or tab (its an option from the right click)...this wont alter your main page and will still let you view all of your ads as you like.

all of these options will give you what you are looking for, however if that is still not satisfactory to you send me an email and ill refund your TUG membership if you are not happy with it any longer.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
another option you can do is instead of clicking "view ad", try right clicking it and opening it up in a new window or tab (its an option from the right click)...this wont alter your main page and will still let you view all of your ads as you like.

This is exactly what I do...but on my Xoom tablet it's press and hold then open in a new window.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Look, Brian, it's not about the $15. The marketplace previously held way more value for me than $15, now it is worth zip- however I get plenty of value from TUG reviews and the sightings board. I am frequently accessing TUG via a phone connection, the multiple clicks does not work for me, it just takes too long. I am sure I am not the only TUGger who mostly accesses TUG via a 3G IPad or an IPhone. Only 2 people have posted or PMed you about this, I would bet far more are experiencing the same loss of functionality.

I am taking my time to give you feedback on your business. I am not hostile, but it is frustrating to feel that you think my concern is trivial. From my perspective, it seems like it might be to your benefit to see if you could figure out what's going on, especially since over time it is possible (likely even) that more TUG members will be accessing this site via sometimes-slower-loading mobile devices. If you disagree, more power to you, it is your business. I can visit alternatives to the TUG Marketplace instead.

H

I really dont quite understand your increasing hostility when I am simply trying to assist you.

Its truly not warranted.

as Ive mentioned in the past (clearly multiple times)...I cannot reproduce your problem on any computer I own...less than a fraction of a % of the individuals that use the marketplace experience this issue (to date, just the two of you above)....ive just clicked on every single one of the exchange links, and they are all sorted chronologically by default be it when im logged in to the site (cookie remembers your settings) and not logged in (using default setting).

There is still a way for you to get the search order you are looking for (and it requires an extra 2 clicks of your mouse)...but that does not seem to satisfy you and I have apologized for that.

all of these options will give you what you are looking for, however if that is still not satisfactory to you send me an email and ill refund your TUG membership if you are not happy with it any longer.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had tim look into this and reset the sort order again, hopefully it fixes your problem.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I had tim look into this and reset the sort order again, hopefully it fixes your problem.

I have visited the exchange listings 3 days in a row now and not once have the listings come up randomized. So, yes, it appears the function has been fixed.

Thanks for delving deeper and getting this solved.

H

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks Added

I think it is a great idea to have alternatives to use our weeks instead of RCI, my current exchange company so here are a few weeks to exchange.

Why not attempt to make exchanges with fellow TUGGERS and avoid the exchange fees to a company like RCI or II when we could possibly do the same thing here and save the money?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's say Owner A and Owner B have agreed to a direct exchange, one year in advance.
Owner A owns in SF; Owner B owns in NY.

I'm interested in what happens if Owner A later has to cancel his NY trip. Owner B wants to keep his reservation in SF.

How have you addressed this potential situation in your direct exchange agreements?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Let's say Owner A and Owner B have agreed to a direct exchange, one year in advance.

I'm interested in what happens if Owner A later has to cancel his NY trip. Owner B wants to keep his reservation in SF.

How have you addressed this potential situation in your direct exchange agreements?

I have addressed this personally by placing a dollar amount on the unit I was using (because the unit I was to receive was booked and completely set before the other party's unit was booked). I can't remember what it was- but something like you give me unit A now, I give you unit B next year. If for some reason I am unable to obtain unit B for you, I give you $x.xx. We wrote all of this down in an email but had no signed contract.

Personally I think that once a unit is booked for party A, there is no backing out for party A. If they change their mind, tough luck, they still owe you. I would feel strongly about this if we were within a few months of party A's travel and less strongly if we were >6 months out.

H

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

This isn't as much of a concern if you are using a point system, which is one reason I think using Direct Exchanges for units in point systems are terrific.

Slum808 and I did a trade -- he booked a DVC unit for me and I booked a Marriott unit for him, each using our system points. Both systems have very accomodating cancelation policies. So if he needed me to cancel the Marriott reservation, he simply has that number of Marriott points to spend on different reservation -- but I still get the DVC side of the trade. In fact, I did have to change the dates once for him after the reservation was initially made, and the availability was there and not a problem to do.

Same situation in a HGVC trade that I did -- but in that one, instead of making weekly reservations for one another, the counterparty transferred me X,XXX Marriott points in exchange for making a reservation for her at HGVC Waikoloa. If she'd had to cancel her trip, I would have made the same number of HGVC points available to her another time.

Accordingly, I agree that Direct Exchanges have alot of potential between TUG owners, and points in particular allow people to leverage their system (Starwood, Hyatt, HGVC, Marriott, Wyndham, DVC) to access other systems (like the HGVC and DVC examples above).

All the best,

Greg

Last edited:

KGOOSE

Reaction score
wish there was an easy way to trade same week for same week, have been skiing at our place near winterpark for the past 5 years, love the week 7 date, but would like to try another resort in the rockies during the same time period...... im sure there are other timeshare owners that have skiied at the same place for many years and wouldn't mind a change of ski scenery....

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
wish there was an easy way to trade same week for same week, have been skiing at our place near winterpark for the past 5 years, love the week 7 date, but would like to try another resort in the rockies during the same time period...... im sure there are other timeshare owners that have skiied at the same place for many years and wouldn't mind a change of ski scenery....

Once you become a paid member of TUG you can put in a direct exchange ad in the classifieds to attempt what you are suggesting.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
IMHO, direct classified does not work very well, esp. if you have a prime or higher end TS. I did that once with specific TS and places (like want a Marriott in X) and got a number of unresponsive emails. Never used it since then.

I wish direct exchange worked better--I would like to hear from those who have prime/high demand weeks (such as NC/SC, So. Cal. summer beach weeks, Carib/SW Fla in Winter, etc.) who have recently used direct X and it worked.

Dandc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, direct classified does not work very well, esp. if you have a prime or higher end TS. I did that once with specific TS and places (like want a Marriott in X) and got a number of unresponsive emails. Never used it since then.

I wish direct exchange worked better--I would like to hear from those who have prime/high demand weeks (such as NC/SC, So. Cal. summer beach weeks, Carib/SW Fla in Winter, etc.) who have recently used direct X and it worked.

I am the opposite, no prime weeks, but would exchange or rent out weeks. We are going to be looking for many in April-Aug.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It'd be great if it worked better. Unfortunately, unless people look there before depositing whatever TSs they want to exchange before doing so, they have nothing to directly exchange.

Most of us find that simply depositing into an exchange company is more efficient, costs more (membership fees and exchange fees in RCI can be $300ish a year) but the payoff is that there are more choices and you don't have the hassle of dealing with another party and getting a guest cert from the resort.

Not sure if KGOOSE has been back, is a member of, or is even aware of exchange companies. If not s/he might consider reading through the Exchanging forum.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It'd be great if it worked better. Unfortunately, unless people look there before depositing whatever TSs they want to exchange before doing so, they have nothing to directly exchange.

Most of us find that simply depositing into an exchange company is more efficient, costs more (membership fees and exchange fees in RCI can be $300ish a year) but the payoff is that there are more choices and you don't have the hassle of dealing with another party and getting a guest cert from the resort.

Not sure if KGOOSE has been back, is a member of, or is even aware of exchange companies. If not s/he might consider reading through the Exchanging forum.

Jim

Depositing with an exchange company is definitely easier and safer.

I've had an ad in there for a while now and notice that most of the ads are looking for very specific trades, either certain resorts and/or dates.

I have a very flexible ad in there and have only gotten one response from someone wanting to rent the week from me.

So is it that people aren't trusting enough, only want what they consider equal or better value or no one is reading them?

I've been exchanging with DAE for quite a while now and I don't seek out any equality, I look for an area I want to visit and check reviews on the resort. I don't care if the person paid more or less in MFs than I did but I think this does bother some people.

My ad is for July 5th on the Atlantic coast of Fla and have asked for anything I can drive to easily and still just that one response.

I have to agree that the TUG direct exchange doesn't work well and I haven't even gotten to the point of wondering if I can trust the other person to do what they agree to.

KGOOSE

Reaction score
Im aware of RCI and II, and depositing and exchanging... just don't like the added expense, once you add the exchange fees and membership fees to our annual association dues, we may as well not own a timeshare and just rent a unit for the week, would be cheaper....

also, as I haven't deposited before, I would hate to put in my week 7 and then not be able to find another acceptable week 7 on the exchange. Im perfectly happy just using it but if there was an easy way to just exchange like for like that would be great......

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
also, as I haven't deposited before, I would hate to put in my week 7 and then not be able to find another acceptable week 7 on the exchange. Im perfectly happy just using it but if there was an easy way to just exchange like for like that would be great......

Just because you deposit a week 7, is it important to get another week 7? Once you make the deposit, you could get a week 6 or 9 or for that matter you could select a week 24 or 46. That's the flexibility of using an exchange with lots to choose from.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just to clear things up, TUG doesnt take your weeks on "deposit"...all you are doing with a direct exchange ad on TUG is listing what you have available, and what you would be interested in trading for.

you are under no obligation to exchange your week with a TUGGER if you dont find any matches...you can still use it, rent it out, sell it, deposit it with RCI..whatever you want if you dont trade with another TUGGER.

it also doesnt cost any ad credits to post an exchange ad...so there isnt really any reason why someone shouldnt at the very least, post their unit just to see.

obviously the more who post, the more selection TUGGERS will have with each other.

KGOOSE

Reaction score
Just because you deposit a week 7, is it important to get another week 7? Once you make the deposit, you could get a week 6 or 9 or for that matter you could select a week 24 or 46. That's the flexibility of using an exchange with lots to choose from.

nope, week 7 is the week the kids have off school every year, so we are pretty much locked into week 7, the week is the main reason we got the timeshare....... its week 7 and week 7 only for us... :)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
nope, week 7 is the week the kids have off school every year, so we are pretty much locked into week 7, the week is the main reason we got the timeshare....... its week 7 and week 7 only for us... :)

So, have you considered joining TUG and giving the direct exchange area in the classifieds a try?

I know that I could not get my resort for week 7 because it's one of the two weeks at my resort that are fixed race weeks and I can't get them with my floating week. I'm sure others could do that if you plan for next year or beyond.

KGOOSE

Reaction score
So, have you considered joining TUG and giving the direct exchange area in the classifieds a try?

I know that I could not get my resort for week 7 because it's one of the two weeks at my resort that are fixed race weeks and I can't get them with my floating week. I'm sure others could do that if you plan for next year or beyond.

just signed up and paid... look for ad as soon as my membership is approved :whoopie:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
just signed up and paid... look for ad as soon as my membership is approved :whoopie:

Now you're talking! You will be able to look at our resort reviews and have access to the "distressed" threads, in addition to your free classified ads.

Anything you post in the direct exchange section does not count against your free ads.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
least a dozen folks posted direct exchange ads yesterday...guess some do read threads!