• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Know Your Rights Of Rescission Before Attending A Mexican Timeshare Presentation

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Suzanne, that's great news. Congratulations.

TacoTerry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Krystal Cancun, Villa del Palmar Flamingos, Lake Chelan
Suzanne, that's great news. Congratulations.

That is so cool that you got your money back!! Have a shot to celebrate!!

Karen, this is for you. I'm new to this stuff and would like your opinion on an offer from another tugger. We were both scammed by Krystal-Cancun and on my follow up post about G&G I put out an invite to join the fight against them(krystal) to get our money back, they asked about doing just that. I'm of the opinion that strength in numbers is not just a saying, but a good plan. Has this been done before by tuggers? Did it get them anything other than heartache? Let me know what you think, I'll check in tomorrow.

TacoTerry:ponder:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I'm of the opinion that strength in numbers is not just a saying, but a good plan. Has this been done before by tuggers? Did it get them anything other than heartache? Let me know what you think, I'll check in tomorrow.
I'm not aware of any organized effort by Tuggers, but it certainly would be interesting to follow.

nigelbees

Reaction score
Grand Bliss Grupo Mayan Scam

I also was scammed,in purchasing a Grand Bliss in Cancun. Since the Grupo Mayan never even built one.Was interested in learning how you where able to get satisfied without using G & G services
Thanks
Anthony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Anthony - This paragraph in the first post directs you to a Mexican Consumer Protection Agency that helps consumers:

Here is a brochure from Profeco, the Mexican consumer protection agency about important things to consider BEFORE attending a timeshare presentation in Mexico.

J. Gonzalez

Reaction score
According to Mexican Consumer Protection Laws, consumers have a right to rescind their timeshare contract within 5 business days. Article 56 of the Federal Consumer Protection Law states.

According to Article 1 of the Federal Consumer Protection Law in Mexico the right to cancel within 5 working days cannot be waived. This sales practice is fraudulent and illegal.

Greetings,
Jose Gonzalez

Last edited by a moderator:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
a scam or lack of understanding?

I've been enjoying TUG since I found the web site last Nov. I don't post many replies, but feel strongly about some of the comments made in this thread. Upfront, I am an owner with Grupo Mayan.
Nigelbees claims a scam for Grupo Mayan's Grand Bliss since it was not built when he purchased the ts. This was noted upfront during our presentations with a proposed completion date and the resorts' timeline. It IS available in Nuevo Vallarta this Nov for reservations. Did you know that until it was available that you could stay at the Grand Mayan at any resort for a substantial discount?
Suzanne17, I am glad your problems were resolved. You stated a scam, but did not give specifics. I know several people who did rescind without any problem until they negotiated more addendums into the final contract.
I am fortunate to have had only positive experiences with this company as well as many others on the owners' web site. Friends continue with good experiences with their companies. Yes, occasionally there are issues, but they have always been resolved beyond my expectation.
I am NOT inferring that some of you did not have a problem. My first question at each presentation was concerning the time frame to rescind. Since we never bought into the ts concept we peppered sales with questions for the info we wanted. We got the info we wanted, negotiated addendums, and have enjoyed 4 years of ownership at all levels. This was all possible to the threads on TUG and the owners' web sites. If the concept interests you, do homework before the presentation or walk away when the time is up.

DAKOTATEX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Tropical Lady; I would like to ask her or any other "Mayan" owners if they have canceled their contract within the 5yrs and received RCI wks to be used over 5yrs (one wk per $1000. pd on purchase price)??? We have an addenum to our contract that this is possible. It would seem to be worth more $$ than selling for such a low price and paying the high transfer fee.
Dakota Tex :)

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Thanks Dakotatex for agreeing with me.
After reviewing my posted comments, I did not state effectively what I wanted to say. Keeping it brief, while I recognize there ARE true scammers out there AND it is very important to share that info with others, I feel we need to report the true picture. If you yielded to high pressure, could not say no, or did not attempt to go back to the company for clarification of purchase/rescind, then it was not a scam.
I hear (between the lines) through some of these posts....that the person had second thoughts. Ok, then speak with the company...get clarification....ask questions. I would not think that most ts companies want bad press and do rely on customer satisfaction for a good business reputation. To jump to legal assistance as the first step is interesting. We've already seen a posted complaint, then it was resolved before legal action was needed. Scammed because new units were not built yet.....but they are as of Nov....AND the inconveience was offset by substantial discount at the next level. Anyhow, enough of this....
I do not have this addenedum regarding RCI. We have done the timeshare ladder through 4 levels with lots of negotiated addendums, but never heard of this one. Have I been scammed? (just getting a dig in) Interesting concept but am confused. If you have spent $20,000 and you get 1 week per thousand then are you talking 20 weeks for 5 years?

MachineGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nervous Mayan Buyer

I recently visited the Mayan in Cancun and while I wasn't really looking to purchase a timeshare with them it was the 2nd time I visited, I really liked the property and I already owned a timeshare in St. Marrten that really wasn't working for me. So long story short I traded in my St. Marrten time share for the Mayan....upgading from 1wk studio to 2wks/2bdrm. My down payment was approx 6k with a total cash out of 18k. After joining TUG and reading through this I feel pretty stupid for not being more prepared. My biggest concern at this point is that I traded in my other timeshare for an agreed 19k...but it now seems to be in question as to whether this is even legit. My 11k comes due July 26th...does anyone have any advice for this foolish traveller? It's past the 5 day period so I can't cancel but I'd like to get some assurance that they will honor the 19k trade in price with tatw.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
You should be ok....

I certainly can't guarantee that everything will go through as you UNDERSTOOD what the terms of your sale are, but having gone through 3 upgrades/contracts after the initial purchase I can state that we have not had a problem. If it is in writing in the contract, it will be honored. You should review your contract in detail now that you are back home, especially concerning how it is written about your t/s trade in. Address any questions to the member services person (legal person who put the paperwork together which you signed) for clarification or concerns. They want to keep you happy and will negotiate an addendum or correct a misunderstanding. You should have their card....if not and you need to reach them...call customer service and ask for member services to call you.
This last time we did have one concern which was taken care of beyond our expectations!
Make sure you have the "waiver for mandatory maintenance fee". This is the reason we bought in the first place as we did not believe in the t/s concept. You want to only pay the MF when you use the week/s, not a yearly bill. If you don't have this ask for it. 2 weeks in a 2 bdrm for your $'s is a good deal. If you split the 2 bdrms, you have 4 weeks!! And, you have the other resorts to visit without exchange. Others on here will say run and buy retail, but be happy and get ready to enjoy a great timeshare. To help....there is a Mayan Owner's Group on Yahoo which has a forum for the exchange of info.
Hope this helps.......

DAKOTATEX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dakotatex for agreeing with me.
After reviewing my posted comments, I did not state effectively what I wanted to say. Keeping it brief, while I recognize there ARE true scammers out there AND it is very important to share that info with others, I feel we need to report the true picture. If you yielded to high pressure, could not say no, or did not attempt to go back to the company for clarification of purchase/rescind, then it was not a scam.
I hear (between the lines) through some of these posts....that the person had second thoughts. Ok, then speak with the company...get clarification....ask questions. I would not think that most ts companies want bad press and do rely on customer satisfaction for a good business reputation. To jump to legal assistance as the first step is interesting. We've already seen a posted complaint, then it was resolved before legal action was needed. Scammed because new units were not built yet.....but they are as of Nov....AND the inconveience was offset by substantial discount at the next level. Anyhow, enough of this....
I do not have this addenedum regarding RCI. We have done the timeshare ladder through 4 levels with lots of negotiated addendums, but never heard of this one. Have I been scammed? (just getting a dig in) Interesting concept but am confused. If you have spent $20,000 and you get 1 week per thousand then are you talking 20 weeks for 5 years?

That is my understanding. Haven't had time to verify and will be off line until mid Aug! We purchased GM in N.Vallarta in Feb 2008.

H

haewon00001@aol.com

[Upon further reflection, I've removed my post]

Last edited by a moderator:

Antunalu

Reaction score
That is so cool that you got your money back!! Have a shot to celebrate!!

Karen, this is for you. I'm new to this stuff and would like your opinion on an offer from another tugger. We were both scammed by Krystal-Cancun and on my follow up post about G&G I put out an invite to join the fight against them(krystal) to get our money back, they asked about doing just that. I'm of the opinion that strength in numbers is not just a saying, but a good plan. Has this been done before by tuggers? Did it get them anything other than heartache? Let me know what you think, I'll check in tomorrow.

TacoTerry:ponder:

I am new at this, but I am another one that did a dumb thing and bought into Krystal. I have also talked to Sandra at G&G and received their contract. I am still hesitant, because I'm not sure what route to go yet. Steve Levy was a good actor along with his wife, Maria, in May 2010 and convinced us to purchase for investment purpose only since I already have timeshares that I use. Yeah right, some investment?

TacoTerry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Krystal Cancun, Villa del Palmar Flamingos, Lake Chelan
Steve Levy @ Krystal with new side kick

I am new at this, but I am another one that did a dumb thing and bought into Krystal. I have also talked to Sandra at G&G and received their contract. I am still hesitant, because I'm not sure what route to go yet. Steve Levy was a good actor along with his wife, Maria, in May 2010 and convinced us to purchase for investment purpose only since I already have timeshares that I use. Yeah right, some investment?

Antunalu, Sorry for not seeing your post earlier, Haven"t been back on this thread in a while. How did you do? What did you do? My wife and I are trying to rent out some of our weeks at Krystal and we are hoping for better times to get here soon, for sure! We haven"t had much luck at all. If you went with Regal Resales you"ll never hear from them. The whole world is coming to Cancun for a huge conference and not one rental call from them, they are just lame.

I did a double take on Steve's new partner, Maria, She was a dentist when we talked with the scammers. Steve was going to set us up for new crowns on our next trip!! We're heading down in April '11, maybe she can fix Steve's teeth after our visit.

ZetaZu

Reaction score
I feel the same way in regards to the Mayan Group. I was there in 2009 invited to a presentation and lure by the "gifts" short of the story I ended up buying the membership almost cash. I bought the Grand Bliss membership totally blind and pushed by the salesman. I thought I was the only one with the remorse, and fury with myself about making the decision based in the pressure they put on you, and the fact of being deceived by the salesman. After hours and hours of talking and talking try to scape and not be able to, however at the end the result was I gave up. It was almost like I was and animal trapped in by a hungry predator. I feel very stupid and regret every day my decision. Now I have to learn to take advantage of my timeshare and how to use it, since I am new in the timeshare world. Thanks to TUG I been able to get over my rage, and frustration. Now I can see that I have options by exchanging my weeks and be informed. I will join in the effort of beware more people of this fraudulent company The Grand Mayan Group.:crash:

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
ZetaZu,
I'm sure that you have seen the other posts in the Mexican forum about Grupo Mayan. If not, there is a thread (Grupo Mayan=Rip off) started by Duane on 12/5 about the presentation issue and the high pressure. A Grupo Mayan representative did post two responses. She (Karen Rose) gave several ways (I think on pages 2&3) to communicate these issues back to her and the company. Even though time has gone by since your purchase in 2009, it would be constructive to at least let them know your experience.
While those of us who do own a Grupo Mayan t/s and really enjoy it, we don't condone the sales tactics. I just returned from Nuevo and did address this topic with sales and customer service. But it would have more of an impact from someone who experienced the hard sell.
The Grand Bliss in Nuevo is gorgeous and would be worth a try!
Hope this helps......

scammedtoo

Reaction score
Pueblo Bonito

Does anyone have any experience in canceling a timeshare contract with Pueblo Bonito Resort in Mexico within the 5 day cancellation period?

I bought a timeshare and regretted it immediately after I left their resort. They opened up a Bank of America RCI card and put almost $12,000 on it. When I got to my hotel, i went through the contract and realized that the contract didn't make sense and I noticed some things were missing in the file of paperwork they gave me. Then I googled them from my hotel lobby and read all the negative stuff which scared me even more. I sent a cancellation email that night which the sales manager who sold it to me responded to a few days later, asking why I would want to cancel and how he can make it better for me, but I haven't responded. I have cc'ed the email to PROFECO as well. I heard that's all you need. To be on the safe side, I mailed a cancellation letter via UPS which requires a signature confirmation and it should arrive to their resort today.

I hired G & G to work for me as well since I heard Pueblo Bonito are extremely hard to work with (they will dodge you as much as they can to discourage you from canceling) and they don't ask money up front which is great. I haven't heard any negative things about G &G online so I'm hoping that they are an honest company. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

BUt in the meantime, if anyone has ANY information they can provide, I'd really appreciate it!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone have any experience in canceling a timeshare contract with Pueblo Bonito Resort in Mexico within the 5 day cancellation period?
If you followed the rescission instructions exactly as given in your contract you shouldn't need any more help from an attorney. Hopefully the letter you sent was postmarked within the five-day period.

You should also notify the credit card company that you have rescinded the contract within the rescission period and challenge any charges made on it.

scammedtoo

Reaction score
If you followed the rescission instructions exactly as given in your contract you shouldn't need any more help from an attorney. Hopefully the letter you sent was postmarked within the five-day period.

You should also notify the credit card company that you have rescinded the contract within the rescission period and challenge any charges made on it.
Thanks for your response, Karen.

Yes- the letter I sent was post-marked within the 2nd day after I signed the contract so that's good. UPS notified us that it was delivered and signed by someone from the resort. In addition, I have the sales manager's response to my original cancellation email I sent the day that I bought the timeshare, so he can't say he didn't receive my email.

As far as the credit card company (BOA) goes, I have contacted them, but they told me that the resort has 15 days to respond to my request. If they don't cooperate, then I can dispute the charges. So we have until next week.
I'll keep everyone posted.

Grupo Mayan

Reaction score
I also was scammed,in purchasing a Grand Bliss in Cancun. Since the Grupo Mayan never even built one.Was interested in learning how you where able to get satisfied without using G & G services
Thanks
Anthony

Dear Mr. Mattiacci:

We are pleased to inform you that The Grand Bliss just opened in Nuevo Vallarta this past November of 2010, and it is already under construction in Riviera Maya. Generally, a resort construction takes between two and three years from the start of construction date to be completed, this is the normal time span. As you may know there are several factors beyond our control (weather, floods, acts of god, etc) which may alter the delivery of the resort. It is in our best interest to open the resorts as fast as possible and we are one of the fastest builders in the industry. However, out of care for our clients, as stated in the contract, we do not make any representations on an expected opening dates.

Rest assured we are looking after our honoured Grand Bliss members' interests, and for that reason, Grand Bliss owners are welcome to use The Grand Mayan facilities until the construction is completed at Riviera Maya.

Hoping this information is useful, please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions regarding your membership with us through the proper channels at customerservice@thegrandbliss.com or by telephone at: 1-800-996-2926.

We are committed to helping you understand the great value of acquiring a membership with us, as well as the significant benefits we offer to our members. Our hard work is focused on developing a great product and surpassing your expectations.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

qkitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Karen.

Yes- the letter I sent was post-marked within the 2nd day after I signed the contract so that's good. UPS notified us that it was delivered and signed by someone from the resort. In addition, I have the sales manager's response to my original cancellation email I sent the day that I bought the timeshare, so he can't say he didn't receive my email.

As far as the credit card company (BOA) goes, I have contacted them, but they told me that the resort has 15 days to respond to my request. If they don't cooperate, then I can dispute the charges. So we have until next week.
I'll keep everyone posted.

Be aware you only have 60 days from the posted transaction date to start the dispute claim with Bank of America.

Since we did not rescind our contract within the 5 days they told us we could not open a dispute claim.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? We will contact Prefeco too.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
need Profeco contact information in Cabo san Lucas

I searched inline but thought someone had just been to a local Cabo Profeco office.
I need to deliver my complaint to Profeco and Pueblo Bonito and can serve the resort and local Profeco office in person but need an address (or phone number) for the Cabo office. Any one have the numbers??
Email for Profeco Cabo would be nice too
Gracias

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never heard that there was a local branch of Profeco in Cabo, but it would be great if there is one. I found this information about tourism boards for the Baja area and further down the page is contact info for Profeco.

Maybe contacting the tourism boards would be helpful, too, as it says they accept complaints.