• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Staying on Disney Property

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Does Disney have Studio for trade also or just mainly the 1 bdrm SSR mentioned above?

Studios are the most requested room type by DVC members (you get the most nights for your points and when at the park its just a place to sleep :)) so few (to none in my experience) ever see RCI inventory. The $15 a year investment in joining TUG is a major bargain for me you should think about Joining :) . the sighting board has a bunch of good stuff on DVC thru RCI

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Thanks for all of the awesome responses! What I've done is to save an on-going search for our two weeks during October 2020 that we are wanting to go. So, my many follow up questions...do we just need to periodically check to see if there are any matches for our search? Do they email us if something pops up? Is there a time frame that things open up typically or is it hit or miss? At what point should we forgo staying on Disney property and just stay at our HGVC home resort?
TIA

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Thanks for all of the awesome responses! What I've done is to save an on-going search for our two weeks during October 2020 that we are wanting to go. So, my many follow up questions...do we just need to periodically check to see if there are any matches for our search? Do they email us if something pops up? Is there a time frame that things open up typically or is it hit or miss? At what point should we forgo staying on Disney property and just stay at our HGVC home resort?
TIA
you will likely not see any deposit before 6 months before your date. DVC members are free to book any resort at 7 months so I've not seen many if any deposits before that (disney wants to provide their members first call). The deposits happen up to a week or so before check in. your OGS will likely only match weeks inventory (or so ive been told) but if it matches you will get an email from RCI to let you know you have a match. Because disney also deposits points inventory starting at 6 months I'd start checking RCI each morning to see if you can get points inventory that matches your needs. I think the question of when to stop waiting is really based on the risk you will not be able to get into your home resort. I don't own hilton so I don't know when you run out of options with them. Spend the $15 to join tug and take advantage of the sighting board it was the best $15 i ever spent on timeshares

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many (say 39-35) years ago in our pre TimeShare days when our kids were in the 6-10 year old range we always stayed at the Contemporary Resort Hotel. The big attraction was Breakfast with the Characters. It was great. When the kids got hot and/or tired we would just take the monorail back to our room and take a break. I'm sure things are different today but back then it sure worked out great...

George

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe I may have posted on this before.
I took the time to look up all the Disney Properties via RCI ID, I created an OGS listing each specifically with a Check-In Date Range that was the whole summer long.
That OGS never ever result in a match for a single Disney property. I believe my OGS went on for half a year, starting about now (late Nov/Dec)

As mentioned by others, we have stayed in Hilton Bonnet Creek more than a few times and the place is fantastic. I've converted points and often I've received promotions from Hilton as the hotel is often priced very reasonably.

We have stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek, Hilton Par Soleil and your home resort Hilton Tuscany Village.
All were great .. I've yet to stay on property since I was very young. Maybe I'll try another OGS .... never hurts.

I will mention that as you note, there are benefits to being checked into a Disney property, my sister who always travels with us always stays on property to take advantage of these benefits for her kids ..... BUT ....while many of the extra benefits to staying on property are certainly great .... ..you have to plan a YEAR in advance to realize some or most of those extra perks as the whole of Disney guests who are on property are fighting for the same.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

I will mention that as you note, there are benefits to being checked into a Disney property, my sister who always travels with us always stays on property to take advantage of these benefits for her kids ..... BUT ....while many of the extra benefits to staying on property are certainly great .... ..you have to plan a YEAR in advance to realize some or most of those extra perks as the whole of Disney guests who are on property are fighting for the same.

As a DVC owner who does stay on property multiple times a year, the only thing I see that requires planning far in advance (and it's only 11 months and not a year :)) is getting a room with DVC points. None of the other on-site perks require anything to be done more than 60 days out, unless there's something I'm missing.

Really, the main on-site perk that I can think of is access to Extra Magic Hours for on-site guests only, and that's a day-of decision.

Cheers.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Perks are available as brp mentioned.
To the OP: Staying on site at a themed DVC resort is something many people really/really enjoy and with the kids at 7/8 I think it likely will be something they and you will remember fondly for the rest of their lives take many pictures/videos etc.....It is an experience in itself (of course others will say they enjoy off site more)...

October is not easy to get into a DVC, it is the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot (which I attend every year...its worth it) I would recommend you rent a DVC from someone using DIS rent/trade board or other, It will be significantly cheaper than direct and you will get your stay at the resort you want. Save your HGVC points for another vacation/year.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
October is not easy to get into a DVC, it is the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot (which I attend every year...its worth it) I would recommend you rent a DVC from someone using DIS rent/trade board or other, It will be significantly cheaper than direct and you will get your stay at the resort you want. Save your HGVC points for another vacation/year.

I second this, but will strongly suggest www.mouseowners.com over DIS. Much friendlier group of people, much more rational moderation and something I would want folks to support over DIS.

Disclaimer: I am a member of Mouseowners, but I do not rent DVC points (we use them all :) so have no vested interest in the above recommendation.

Cheers.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I matched my OGS for Oct 20-27 on May 19 of this year, in case that is helpful. Plenty of time for the 60 day onsite fastpasses. I had gone ahead and made dining reservations at 180 days since you are able to cancel those and they don't rely on the hotel reservation.

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Alright y'all, I'm so impatient. I want to book already!!
So, when do you decided to book outside of hgvc/RCI? Like, when is it too late to book "out of pocket"?

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
You can make dining reservations without a room reservation at 180 days out. Fast passes for onsite reservations start 60 days out. I don't think October reservations will be up for at least a month or two...
It's so hard, but be patient!
Alright y'all, I'm so impatient. I want to book already!!
So, when do you decided to book outside of hgvc/RCI? Like, when is it too late to book "out of pocket"?

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
You can make dining reservations without a room reservation at 180 days out. Fast passes for onsite reservations start 60 days out. I don't think October reservations will be up for at least a month or two...
It's so hard, but be patient!
With what I was seeing today, they are out to May right now

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have a week at Old Key West week starting April 5th that I booked in late October. Not that it matters, but i used my RCI points standalone account rather than the HGVC portal.