• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St Thomas/St John timeshare options

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are visiting the Virgin Islands in June 2019. We are excited to have a week booked at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club oceanview 2 bedroom in St Thomas using only 3300 Marriott DPs. That is really quite a bargain to stay there, in my opinion. After that, I did an II exchange into Grande Bay Resort on St John oceanview studio. I am wondering if staying at the Grande Bay after staying at the Ritz Carlton will feel like a major downgrade esp since we only got a studio there. I tend to like to relax in the room a lot so I am fairly sensitive to the room and resort quality. For me, the resort and room are as important as the destination. However, St John is one of my favorite destinations in the world but last time we were there, we stayed right on the beach at Caneel Bay. So I realize that anything compared to Caneel Bay will feel like a downgrade. Does anyone have experience with the Grande Bay Resort to know what level of quality and amenities it offers?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I've never stayed there, but it is my understanding that Grande Bay is run more like a condo complex with a few hotel-type amenities, such as a pool and fitness center. But it doesn't have resort-y things like a spa or on-site restaurant/bar. And don't expect someone to spray you with water as you're sitting by the pool, or offer to bring you a MaiTai, cause that ain't gonna happen.

It's too bad that you didn't stay at Grande Bay first because it will definitely feel like a letdown if being pampered is your idea of a great vacation.

P.S. But do look into their car rental program, which I believe is pretty nice.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think staying anywhere after going to Ritz STT is going to be tough -- I love that property and it is spectacular. As long as you are expecting the step down after the Ritz, you will be fine.

Best,

Greg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think staying anywhere after going to Ritz STT is going to be tough -- I love that property and it is spectacular. As long as you are expecting the step down after the Ritz, you will be fine.

Best,

Greg

I am not sure about the step down. Is it really that much worse? We stayed at Villa del Palmar after Grand Luxxe and the step down was very hard, even though both were 1 bedroom units with fabulous views. In this case, we will be stepping down from a 2 br to a studio.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
If it's hard for you to step down, don't do it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am not sure about the step down. Is it really that much worse? We stayed at Villa del Palmar after Grand Luxxe and the step down was very hard, even though both were 1 bedroom units with fabulous views. In this case, we will be stepping down from a 2 br to a studio.

I think Ritz STT is the nicest timeshare I have ever stayed in, maybe even the nicest property, including luxury hotels I’ve had the good fortune to stay in. Yes, I think it most definitely be a step down for both the property amenities, and the unit itself (2BR to Studio).

Best,

Greg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Ritz STT is the nicest timeshare I have ever stayed in, maybe even the nicest property, including luxury hotels I’ve had the good fortune to stay in. Yes, I think it most definitely be a step down for both the property amenities, and the unit itself (2BR to Studio).

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg, I am happy to hear that. I am really looking forward to staying there. I guess I will need to find a different thing to do in the Caribbean next summer to paint with Ritz STT. I wish we could get the studio in St John first and then step up to the Ritz. Did you stay at Ritz STT with MVC DPs? That is how we got it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Greg, I am happy to hear that. I am really looking forward to staying there. I guess I will need to find a different thing to do in the Caribbean next summer to paint with Ritz STT. I wish we could get the studio in St John first and then step up to the Ritz. Did you stay at Ritz STT with MVC DPs? That is how we got it.

I've stayed at the property three times, but only once was in the timeshare side. It is am amazing property and I hope you enjoy it! I do agree that it is unfortunate that you can't reverse the order of the stay -- but there are also other STT properties if you wanted to try and stay in a different one first? The Elysian next door is a good property too. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've stayed at the property three times, but only once was in the timeshare side. It is am amazing property and I hope you enjoy it! I do agree that it is unfortunate that you can't reverse the order of the stay -- but there are also other STT properties if you wanted to try and stay in a different one first? The Elysian next door is a good property too. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

I suspect the timeshare side will be amazing. We have a 2 bedroom/2.5 bathroom oceanview unit reserved. It was very hard to get with DC points because they only release a limited number.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Best,

Greg

I suspect the timeshare side will be amazing. We have a 2 bedroom/2.5 bathroom oceanview unit reserved. It was very hard to get with DC points because they only release a limited number.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Maybe rent from a Westin St John owner??? I think the Grande Bay would be fine, but the unit size is really the problem.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think we would like to visit another part of the Caribbean to pair with our visit to Ritz STT. However, there are not many flights between STT and other Caribbean islands. I think we could get flights between STT and PR or St Kitts. Are there any other non stop flights from STT?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I think we would like to visit another part of the Caribbean to pair with our visit to Ritz STT. However, there are not many flights between STT and other Caribbean islands. I think we could get flights between STT and PR or St Kitts. Are there any other non stop flights from STT?
If you have MRPs, the Scrub Island Resort is reopening 10/1/18....we would return there in a heartbeat and it is a ferry ride away.
A whole different world.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...d-resort-spa-and-marina-autograph-collection/

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are visiting the Virgin Islands in June 2019. We are excited to have a week booked at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club oceanview 2 bedroom in St Thomas using only 3300 Marriott DPs. That is really quite a bargain to stay there, in my opinion. After that, I did an II exchange into Grande Bay Resort on St John oceanview studio. I am wondering if staying at the Grande Bay after staying at the Ritz Carlton will feel like a major downgrade esp since we only got a studio there. I tend to like to relax in the room a lot so I am fairly sensitive to the room and resort quality. For me, the resort and room are as important as the destination. However, St John is one of my favorite destinations in the world but last time we were there, we stayed right on the beach at Caneel Bay. So I realize that anything compared to Caneel Bay will feel like a downgrade. Does anyone have experience with the Grande Bay Resort to know what level of quality and amenities it offers?
There is only one possible solution to this conundrum, you have to downgrade the 2 bedroom at the Ritz to a studio

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL. I will keep my 2 bedroom at the Ritz and rough it in a studio on St John. It builds character! ;-)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to manage your expectations on the Ritz, the beach in front of the timeshares is not good -- rocky and grassy. You have to walk next door to the hotel (50 yards?) to go to their beach, which is terrific. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to manage your expectations on the Ritz, the beach in front of the timeshares is not good -- rocky and grassy. You have to walk next door to the hotel (50 yards?) to go to their beach, which is terrific. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

I have noticed that most of the beaches in front of hotels in STT and STJ are not very good.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solved my problem and used E plus to upgrade to a 1 bedroom at grande bay. I should be happy now.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Grande Bay often available in II? I would love to spend a week in Cruz Bay. I love my TS at the Westin but being able to walk downtown from my unit would be great.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is Grande Bay often available in II? I would love to spend a week in Cruz Bay. I love my TS at the Westin but being able to walk downtown from my unit would be great.

No it is rare. It is a small complex and most of the units are wholly owned and rented out. There are few timeshare units. I ended up not going because the timing was not good. Bummer.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No it is rare. It is a small complex and most of the units are wholly owned and rented out. There are few timeshare units. I ended up not going because the timing was not good. Bummer.
I'm confused -- I thought you were going in June 2019? I hope you can still go!

Best,

Greg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm confused -- I thought you were going in June 2019? I hope you can still go!

Best,

Greg

I am still going to STT/STJ next summer but not staying in Grande Bay anymore. I am have a bunch of reservations right now at Marriott Frenchman’s Cove, Ritz Carlton St Thomas and a villa at Peter’s Bay but not 100% sure what I will keep. The beauty and curse of too many choices! I lost the studio in Grande Bay because I traded it for a 1 bedroom last week in Grande Bay but then I could not go so I retraded it. Bummer about the 1 bedroom in Grande Bay! I do not miss the studio, though.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now it looks like we may be canceling Harborside at Atlantis and planning 2 trips to St Thomas and St John.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at MFC and have stayed at Grande Bay. Grande Bay is run like a condo and not a resort. The rooms are nice. Not a lot of amenities. The pool is small but nice and so is the gym. The great thing about Grande Bay is the location. Everything in Cruz Bay is in walking distance and the north shore beaches are a hop skip and jump by car. You also get an underground assigned parking space which is great considering how limited parking is in Cruz Bay. I would stay there again without a doubt.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have completely changed all our 2019 plans, once again. I probably should not pre-post my plans anymore. Now we are going to Westin St John in June and staying in a 2 BR followed by a sailing charter for a week in a 6 cabin sailboat. No more Grande Bay. No more studios.