TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

St. Regis resort planned for Aruba on old Westin land plot

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by vistana101, Apr 28, 2019.

1. vistana101

vistana101 TUG Member

Thought this was interesting... https://www.azure-aruba.com/hotel-complex-in-aruba/

It looks like Marriott is planning to build a St. Regis resort on the land that was once proposed for the Westin timeshare in Aruba. The article says "For more than 20 years, the dignitary said, this plot belonged to the Starwood Group, at a certain time, it was purchased and acquired by the Marriott hotel chain. The process of negotiations began years ago to change the destiny of this plot, supposed to be a timeshare four-star hotel at that time, with a number of 380 rooms."

Does anyone remember why the villa project fell through?

2. okwiater

okwiater TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
    WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
    WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
    SMV 2B Plat+
    Sheraton Flex (x2)
    It's because of the housing and credit meltdown. Too bad it never regained traction to be built as a timeshare.

3. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I thought they were never very serious about building it in Aruba.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

I think Vistana was serious about building in Aruba. I have a page in the original binder I received in 2007 with the Aruba resort. It has the floor plans etc. The binder has a page for each existing resort(at the time) and one for Aruba.

GrayFal likes this.
  5. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Wow, a hotel in Aruba. Considering the fact that the Dolphin and Swan at Disney were upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6 after the Marriott merger, and the points were tripled, it now costs 50,000 points per night to stay there vs. 10,000 points before the merger. I can't imagine what Aruba would cost. Do they have a CAT 10?

6. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV, SB & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    The Aruban government ended a very good tax program that greatly benefited the developer. So Starwood decided to kill the project.

7. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    To be fair, the 10,000 was Starpoints which equated to 30,000 MR points. So only a 67% increase. They only more than tripled because of how Marriott valued their reward points to Starpoints.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Where do you get the 40,000 Starpoints? I used to stay one night for 10,000 StarPoints, which now cost me 50,000 Rewards Points. That's a 5 times increase vs the 3X points I got from converting from StarPoints to Rewards Points after the merger. Not only did the rewards get watered down, the resort got upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6. What used to cost me 40,000 points now costs me 200,000. Not 3X the former, but 5X.

9. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Sorry, I meant 10,000 StarPoints. So in the past those 10,000 StarPoints were worth 30,000 MR points per Marriott's own conversion. If you had 10,000 StarPoint sitting in your account on the cutover day in the summer of 2018, you ended up with 30,000 Bonvoy Points. Then you only needed 20,000 more to book the property. So only a 67% increase, not 500%.

10. okwiater

okwiater TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
    WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
    WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
    SMV 2B Plat+
    Sheraton Flex (x2)
    Have you considered a career in timeshare sales? Your fuzzy math skills are exemplary... ;)