• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Regis Princeville to be sold and rebranded - Impact on Westin Princeville?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The lack of beach chairs to use could be a negative but that’s the only impact on WPOVR. We stayed at WPOVR in the past and St Regis treated WPOVR guests as second class citizens. So it might not be a big loss. Anyone can use the hotel if they pay for the services. There might be a day pass fee to use the pool and beach.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s what Marriott is emailing guests that have reservations:

As a valued Starwood Preferred Guest member, we are writing you to inform you of a change in the status of The St. Regis Princeville Resort. As of November 16, 2018, the property will no longer be part of Marriott International or the St. Regis brand and will no longer participate in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program. The hotel will now be called the Princeville Resort.

We see you are currently holding a reservation We are pleased to advise you that the hotel will honor your reservation room rate and/or for a Preferred (free) Night Award as confirmed. However, since the hotel will not be affiliated with the Marriott or SPG system, you will not earn Reward Points for any eligible charges incurred. You will also not receive any of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits.

Here’s an excerpt from The Garden Island (access their piece here) what might become of this resort:

When word of the imminent sale first became public in late July, the speculated purchase price was $225 million. Starwood Capital has been developing an ultra-exclusive new brand called “1 Hotels.” It has been on an acquisition spree, with four new locations announced this year, and properties in West Hollywood, Calif.; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Sunnyvale, Calif.; and Sanya, China, reportedly in development.

Starwood Capital is reportedly planning to convert the St. Regis, which has lost some of its luxury lustre in recent years, into an even higher-end and more-exclusive resort catering to the extremely wealthy.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the WPORV concierge yesterday about an upcoming stay. When asked about privileges at the St. Regis Hotel ( now the Princeville Hotel?) I learned that they are continuing with 2 exceptions: no more 10% discount and pay as you go-no more charging to your WPORV unit.
Some bad news for our stay was that the highway west of Hanalei remains closed to all except locals.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the WPORV concierge yesterday about an upcoming stay. When asked about privileges at the St. Regis Hotel ( now the Princeville Hotel?) I learned that they are continuing with 2 exceptions: no more 10% discount and pay as you go-no more charging to your WPORV unit.

Does this mean that the St. Regis is still open? If so, for how long? We always liked going there for the beach and bar.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Does this mean that the St. Regis is still open? If so, for how long? We always liked going there for the beach and bar.

The property formerly known as The St. Regis Princeville is still open and is now called The Princeville Hotel. The new owner has not announced when they will begin renovations and whether the property will remain open during renovations. Once renovations are complete, the property will be known as "1 Hotel".

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The property formerly known as The St. Regis Princeville is still open and is now called The Princeville Hotel. The new owner has not announced when they will begin renovations and whether the property will remain open during renovations. Once renovations are complete, the property will be known as "1 Hotel".
Clever name. :D

Bill4728

Reaction score
We always enjoyed sitting on a beach chair in the sand enjoying the great view of the bay. We'll miss it.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always enjoyed sitting on a beach chair in the sand enjoying the great view of the bay. We'll miss it.
I don't think they can prevent people from coming to the beach. They will have to provide some access because, I think Hawaii law does not allow private beaches. Now, whether or not we can get free beach chairs there is another matter. But we can always bring our own. Imagine all the beach goers walking through the lobby with chairs and other stuff! :cool:

blondietink

Reaction score
There is already public access to that beach a bit further down the road.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
3968de4ad0fcd32541bf26a6da34466c.jpg

High times at the St Regis/Princeville beach - going to miss access via elevator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill4728

Reaction score
There is already public access to that beach a bit further down the road.
I'm not aware of this. Where is it?
there is a large set of stairs just to the left of the main entrance. The exit to the right of the pool area where the paddle boards are rented.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, our experiences at the St. Regis, now known as the Princeville Resort [princevilleresorthawaii.com], have been positive. My guess is that Vistana-WPORV will attempt to maintain a relationship with the hotel in the future. As David noted earlier, we would miss the elevator ride to and from the beach (Pu' u Poa) {although the 632 steps to the beach would be good for me} and the comfortable beach loungers.
My guess is that even if there is no formal arrangement between the facilities, the Westin shuttle will continue to run guests down to the walkway going to Pu u' Poa beach on some periodic basis. Eventually, I see a shuttle (County or private) stopping at all the major establishments which would stop at the Westin and the hotel.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of this. Where is it?

there is a large set of stairs just to the left of the main entrance. The exit to the right of the pool area where the paddle boards are rented.

You can also access the beach via the public access parking lot at Hanalei Bay resort. Park in the public parking that is to the left as you enter the resort. Then go alongside the building and take the path past the pools and tennis courts.

Bill4728

Reaction score
You can also access the beach via the public access parking lot at Hanalei Bay resort. Park in the public parking that is to the left as you enter the resort. Then go alongside the building and take the path past the pools and tennis courts.
Wow

That looks like the way to go

Thanks

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The walk from Happy Talk?:)
Before the April flood you could usually walk over from Black Pot Beach, negotiating the delta of the Hanalei River. I was over there last week and the water was too deep to safely cross.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each WPORV owner is charged an annual fee for the St Regis Princeville hotel access included in the maint. fee.
When will we see the reduction?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Each WPORV owner is charged an annual fee for the St Regis Princeville hotel access included in the maint. fee.
When will we see the reduction?

So how much is that fee for access?

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Oct. we were staying at Pali Ke Kua just down the road from the St Regis. We would walk to the resort and walk down the steps with our chairs on our back. That was easy. When we went home we used the elevators and walked out the lobby. Nobody gave us a look. There are guests that are walking through the lobby who are coming back from other beach adventures. We bought drinks and used the restrooms and felt very conmfortable.
I think to use the lounge chairs you would need the towels from the St. Regis or the Westin. The view from that beach is 2nd to none. Last time we stayed at the Westin we were able to charge our drinks to the Westin. I hope Starwood, or should I say Bonvoy, maintains a relationship with the new management.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Oct. we were staying at Pali Ke Kua just down the road from the St Regis. We would walk to the resort and walk down the steps with our chairs on our back. That was easy. When we went home we used the elevators and walked out the lobby. Nobody gave us a look. There are guests that are walking through the lobby who are coming back from other beach adventures. We bought drinks and used the restrooms and felt very conmfortable.
I think to use the lounge chairs you would need the towels from the St. Regis or the Westin. The view from that beach is 2nd to none. Last time we stayed at the Westin we were able to charge our drinks to the Westin. I hope Starwood, or should I say Bonvoy, maintains a relationship with the new management.

No charge privileges for Westin guests at the Princeville Resort at this time.
Yes, the ever changing views from that resort are second to none. The beach, with its view of Puff and Makana in the background, is idyllic.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to stay at HBR and used their path to the beach. As I recall there is a locked gate at the bottom of the path--locked to other beach-goers but not to HBR guests. Is this the route you are suggesting? Or is there another access path?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We used to stay at HBR and used their path to the beach. As I recall there is a locked gate at the bottom of the path--locked to other beach-goers but not to HBR guests. Is this the route you are suggesting? Or is there another access path?
It's the paved path that goes from the resort down to the beack, passing among the tennis courts. There's never been a gate when we've been there, as recently as last August.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Do you still have access to the St Regis/now Princeville Resort chairs when staying at WPORV?