• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Regis Princeville to be sold and rebranded - Impact on Westin Princeville?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The St. Regis Princeville is to be sold and rebranded as a "1 Hotel" after a refurbishment. One must wonder if this will have an impact on The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas since their guests have privileges at St. Regis?

Even though the beaches are public, one could still be made to feel somewhat unwelcome at the 1 Hotel while a guest at a different property.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific...wood-capital-to-buy-rebrand-kauai-resort.html

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I cannot imagine a hotel becoming inhospitable. It wouldn't be good for business. I have never heard of this hotel brand, 1 Hotel. That's a strange brand name.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
It’s been known to be up for sale for awhile now and truthfully it didn’t look up to St. Regis par when we were there late June.
I don’t see it as a big loss. We had charging privileges there and got a discount but I found the restaurant a let down. The view was good. But you can get good views elsewhere. The beach is okay but with this latest flooding there was local talk that it was contaminated. We didn’t chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what Barry Sternlicht will do with the St. Regis Princeville? Maybe he will bring it back to its "former glory" when he was CEO of Starwood Hotels.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This seems bad for Westin Princeville owners

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Really? I bet that "1" will try to provide better service and better benefits. The WKORP crowd is not a 'budget' group and could provide some nice revenue for the hotel.....
I hope so at least.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have never heard of this hotel brand, 1 Hotel. That's a strange brand name.

It's a new brand. Currently only three: 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, 1 Hotel Central Park and 1 Hotel South Beach. Four more (excluding Princeville) on the way: 1 Hotel West Hollywood, 1 Hotel Cabo, 1 Hotel Sanya, China and 1 Hotel Sunnyvale.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
They could cancel this "benefit" and lower our Maint Fees.
Without use of the Pool not much value.
In fact, I would take the $100 or so dollars and spend the cash on a few drinks in the new bar!

We've stayed at the hotel twice and at WPORV several times. I agree with duke ^^^^^^^

Not a huge loss, and if it's $100/year/unit (x52), money I would prefer to save.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Hotels is a brand owned by Starwood Capital, the same hedge fund that started Starwood Hotels. They bought the hotel and rebranded it as a St Regis as part of their plan to make that a brand.

Now Starwood is part of the Marriott group, and maybe there's a hole in the market for them to start up a new brand.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The $100 is not just for the shuttle...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I don't see how the 1 Hotel style will fit in with Princeville.... That place is very 'marble palace' (top) than green and lean (1 hotel). Maybe they can throw money at it and completely redo the place.

Although....I do think they could redo the exterior easily....just send the landscapers home for good. (bottom)

guestrooms_main_04.jpg
170628_1HotelBB_room806_bedroommaster_086_hero1%20%281%29%20%281%29.jpg

CP-facade-%281%29.jpg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The $100 is not just for the shuttle...

Although.....it would be nice if the shuttle ran to several of the local bars (not sure how many are open now....). That would be worth $100

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
When we stayed at WPORV, we went over once to the St. Regis. It was a novelty, but I don't see a real need to return. I agree with others that it would nice to save the $100 and spend it on booze at the bar.

Best,

Greg

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We went over to the St. Regis a few times and it seemed a bit out of place in Hawaii. It is also the place where I had one of the oddest service experiences in all of my travels. A friend (woman) and I went to see the sunset and watch them saber the champagne bottle at the terrace. We went early, ordered drinks and some food then sat there with empty glasses because our server never returned yet we saw him serving larger parties over and over. So weird but the place was packed and we figured that it wasn't that big of a deal. But then he circled back with our check announcing in a somewhat condescending voice that ours was the smallest tab in the bar. So I broke it to him that it would also be the smallest tip. I'm not usually snarky but to be ignored for an hour (especially because I wanted another drink!) put me over the edge. My friend tells me that it is her favorite memory of that trip, lol.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had a nice one night stay at this hotel just prior to it being closed for remodeling to be rebranded as a St Regis. They upgraded me to a junior suite, which was about the size of a 1-bed unit at WPORV with a huge marble bathroom. It was straight out of the 70s (well, maybe early 80s) with a TV which came up out of a credenza with a remote, lots of mirrors, etc.

I've been back a couple times or more when in the area, and while it was nice, and I enjoyed the outdoor restaurant by the pool (especially when it was raining...), I agree this hotel was rather odd. Depending on what they do, I could see it being quite nice. But as it is I see no reason to visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went over to the St. Regis a few times and it seemed a bit out of place in Hawaii. It is also the place where I had one of the oddest service experiences in all of my travels. A friend (woman) and I went to see the sunset and watch them saber the champagne bottle at the terrace. We went early, ordered drinks and some food then sat there with empty glasses because our server never returned yet we saw him serving larger parties over and over. So weird but the place was packed and we figured that it wasn't that big of a deal. But then he circled back with our check announcing in a somewhat condescending voice that ours was the smallest tab in the bar. So I broke it to him that it would also be the smallest tip. I'm not usually snarky but to be ignored for an hour (especially because I wanted another drink!) put me over the edge. My friend tells me that it is her favorite memory of that trip, lol.

THAT is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard! The server surely deserved that one.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We went there to try the world famous $25 Bloody Mary. Sea asparagus? Really?

IMG_0712.JPG

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought this experience was unique to us, but I guess not. My wife and I were there earlier this year (Feb) and we snagged a prime table to view sunset. No one came to take our drink order while other tables were being served. We finally flagged one of the other waiters serving another table and got a menu. Still no one came by. Finally some dude showed up and said he was on a break, took our order. Then a long while later another server brought our drinks and food. Then yet another person came and took our second drink order. It does seem like they prefer the larger groups. But we also observed that some servers were more attentive than others, and the attentiveness is more a function of the server than the customers - it wasn't like some customers were getting preferential treatment. There were good servers and indifferent servers. The difference was rather stark. At least when the original guy brought the check he wasn't rude. He just seemed totaly out of it.

By contrast, the bartenders at Bar Acuda in Hanalei were fabulous. We didn't have reservations, and sat at the bar. These guys were awesome. Very attentive, very friendly and they were slipping us free "tasting samples" - the excess they had when they were making mixed drinks, and also topping off our glasses. They then invited us to an "after party" at another bar, which was mostly locals. It was awesome, contrasting with the stiff St Regis atmosphere.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I thought this experience was unique to us, but I guess not. My wife and I were there earlier this year (Feb) and we snagged a prime table to view sunset. No one came to take our drink order while other tables were being served. We finally flagged one of the other waiters serving another table and got a menu. Still no one came by. Finally some dude showed up and said he was on a break, took our order. Then a long while later another server brought our drinks and food. Then yet another person came and took our second drink order. It does seem like they prefer the larger groups. But we also observed that some servers were more attentive than others, and the attentiveness is more a function of the server than the customers - it wasn't like some customers were getting preferential treatment. There were good servers and indifferent servers. The difference was rather stark. At least when the original guy brought the check he wasn't rude. He just seemed totaly out of it.

By contrast, the bartenders at Bar Acuda in Hanalei were fabulous. We didn't have reservations, and sat at the bar. These guys were awesome. Very attentive, very friendly and they were slipping us free "tasting samples" - the excess they had when they were making mixed drinks, and also topping off our glasses. They then invited us to an "after party" at another bar, which was mostly locals. It was awesome, contrasting with the stiff St Regis atmosphere.
Interesting that you had the same experience! We at least had a good story to tell later. I had honestly forgotten about it but my friend mentioned it to me awhile ago. One of those funny memories that you make when you travel. :D :D

My husband and I will be back to Princeville next year (Hanalei Bay Resort this time). We'll have to check out Bar Acuda. That sounds a little more like our style. Which is high on fun and low on style.

Reactions: zsn

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the place we finally ended up was Tahiti Nui. This place is packed early, hard to get a table for dinner (around 7-9) - generally tourists. The fun times however are later. They had this awesome cover band and it's where all the locals ended up. It definitely qualifies on the "high on fun, low on style" metric. We only found it the night before we were leaving.......too bad we didn't discover it earlier in our trip. We might have spent a few more evenings hanging out with the locals!

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
We have stayed at the St Regis Princeville several times over the last 15 years. I may have been disappointed by this news a few years ago, but no more. It's a 3-star hotel with a 5-star view (you can see a review I wrote 6 years ago on Flyertalk's SPG forum detailing some of the worst issues and I was not alone in my assessment). Starwood Capital can renovate all they want, but ultimately will face the same problem as Starwood: you can't run a true luxury hotel on an island so hamstrung with a staffing problem. They could never consistently get good staff at that hotel. Management was much better under the former manager, Kelly Hoen, but suffered when she was transferred to the Royal Hawaiian. We found only the butler staff and the pool staff to be consistently good. Our 25th Anniversary dinner at Kauai Grill was so abysmally bad, I was in tears after the entree. Concierge staff is lukewarm at best. When we last stayed at WPORV last October, we had an amazing Makana (Bali Hai) view from our unit and a really nice open ocean view from the quiet pool. We never once took the shuttle to the hotel. Happy to say goodbye to StR and continue to enjoy WPORV. I don't anticipate loss of beach privileges to be a big deal for owners. I'd love it if they ran the shuttle to Princeville Center, Ching Young Center and the Hanalei Bay Resort (Happy Talk Lounge) instead.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sounds like a campaign should be started soon......."Let the WPORV safety shuttle roll!" Market and a few comfort stops in-between.

They have shuttles at other resorts.....

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I whine about the $25 bloody Mary's, but it was interesting to enter a hotel lobby on the 7th floor, then ride an elevator down to the 4th floor, then change elevators to get to ground level and the beach. Never been to a resort on a cliff like this place before. To say it was interesting is an understatement. Sad to see it go, if we don't get access anymore. By the way, I saw the menu - no way I want to spend those prices!