• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Amex - BEWARE....Issues getting 6x

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gone round and round with Amex and their "resolution team" and they are not budging. So I am taking to the message boards instead.

I have had 3 issues in 4 months with earning entitled bonus credits.

In July, before the new terms and conditions took place I made a purchase of SPG points through their website. They were 2 charges of $682.50 for 30,000 points. On my August statement I only got 1x points. I had made this same purchase in February and got 2x, I made the same charge on my wife's card in December and got 2x points. I opened a chat when receiving my statement and the agent agreed she could see that in the past I got the points. She would resolve, and ensure that at the time of 2x going to 6x on the new rewards program that it would be resolved correctly. THREE TIMES I followed up, THREE TIMES investigations opened - finally rejected. Not eligible. I asked, but what about the 4 other times you paid, and this charge was pre-card change of terms Aug 1 or program changes.
They won't budge and I simply asked them to justify as clearly in the past they paid the correct bonus. Hard to believe, they would pay 2 separate times. Again I believe this was due to a change, but the agent assured me all activity Pre July 31 would be paid.

The next 2 are absolute JOKES --
I paid for my "taxes and resort fee" at a Renaissance Paris Hotel with my SPG Amex. They claim the hotel code comes through as not eligible for the 6x. Seriously, a hotel booked on points through Marriott.com isn't programmed correctly when they urn your card. What if I had paid Cash and lost out on many thousands of bonus points.

I prepaid for a WESTIN LAX hotel room through SPG.com. $197, paid through SPG/Marriott Direct. They said, sorry not eligible for 6x. You cannot be serious.

I have my $8000 in VSE Dues coming up and I am leaning heavy towards going to Chase Reserve for these charges. Has anyone had any luck getting extra points. They sent me some terms about Vacation Ownership, not eligible. I will not miss out on what should be 48,000 points to have them say, sorry, not sorry.

I am taking this to our message board, the TUGG SPG/Marriott, Facebook, etc.

Amex better get their stuff straight or I am gone. The Free night is worth $95 so won't close, but certainly won't spend. I have spent so much time on this and rather than reopen investigation I am taking to the message boards. It is about 8,000 total Marriott Points (doesn't even get me a free night and worth so much less now) - but I won't risk losing out on valuable points in the future.

If anyone has earned 6x on SVO charges (loan or dues) please let me know. I would like to keep this chain to this TOPIC --

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that points purchase does not get get you a multiplier for this year. I used the old Chase Marriott Visa and got 1X this year - miserable, prior to the merger and I wasn't thinking. I used the new Marriott Visa and got 2X. I believe it is because the points are sold through a third party non-Marriott associated website. In the past I used to use Amex SPG and got 1X, which got translated to 3X Marriott points. This is no longer the case, you only get 2X in the new point system.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct - but what is frustrating to me - the charges were made PRE AUGUST 1 - so they just change for their convenience.

Now I am concerned about our dues, and if we will get bonus points. And if I do a test $10 charge, or $100 charge -- what if that pays 6x and then I do my $8000 and get 2x...I lose out on massive value. 4.5% back through Chase is close to $400!

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Just paid my Mfs for Kierland and I received 6 times the dollar purchase in points. So looks good to me.

Markus

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have paid over $6,000 in Vistana MFs on my SPG Amex and received 6x points on the payments.

The purchase of points should never have been given bonus points since IIRC they are purchases through points.com are they not?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Has anyone tried paying Harborside fees with SPG Amex recently? Got correct bonus points? Harborside is not associated with SPG/Marriott, so I don't think Amex will apply bonus.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
How are you seeing your points details? Every time I click on "Account Activity" on the website, I get this message:

error-icon-dark.svg

We’re temporarily unable to display the information you requested.Please try again later.

This has been going on for WEEKS, not hours.

Also, I can see my NEXT reservation, but I get the same notice when trying to view my subsequent reservations. This new Marriott site is a MESS!

Last edited: