TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice
  1. zjhasan1976

zjhasan1976 Guest

I checked the link to the database of historical MFs and see that St. John and Vistana seem to have the most occurences of special assessments. I am assuming this is primarily driven by either hurricane damage or improvements? I didn't see any for Vistana Villages - Bella so is it safe to assume that one would be on the horizon?

http://www.eternaltides.com/SVN/SVNQuery.aspx

2. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Special Assesments are very unpopular, and Starwood/Vistana has had some owner revolts due to SA's in the past, so rather than special assessments, I would expect to see an increase in maintenance fees, for future renovations.

When SDO did renovations a couple of years ago, they raised the maintenance fee, instead of calling it a special assessment. It may cost the same but it sounds better.

The exception may be WSJ, due to the hurricane damage. No one knows yet.

3. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    There was no SA for WSJ-VGV. See the WSJ thread #1 - around 2009.

They increased the MFs to bring the Reserves up to where they should have been AND remodeled the interior and exterior of the VGV phase.

Will there be an SA after H. Irma? For VGV - the HOA had funded the Hurricane Insurance deductible- so hopefully not. Many VGV Owners couldn’t bare a SA and would likely default - causing MFs to increase - causing more to default - repeat.

I do not think that is a viable option for the BOD - hopefully...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios likes this.
  4. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I know it all depends, but what could we be looking at here for SA — $hundreds or $thousands? I’m sure it is a fine line from the point of view of BOD. If it’s such a high SA people walk. How would a SA work with SB Villas since it is still in active sales?

5. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

cubigbird - There is no reason to think that there is going to be a SA at SBP, so not sure what you are referring to.

The last big SA was at Sheraton Vistana Resort and it was in the thousands. However, this generated a huge negative response from owners, so I will be surprised if we ever see that again - except in a case of unusual damages, like a hurricane.

It's far easier and less controversial for the BOD to raise the MF, than to impose a SA, so that's what I would expect to see in the future.

*A well-run resort should never have a SA, except in extraordinary circumstances like a hurricane. Under regular conditions, a special assessment means that the board has not budgeted well for renovations and refurbishments. Of course, with Starwood/Vistana, renovations are management driven, and I'm sure that major renovations at SVR and SDO would not have happed, except that Starwood insisted on it, and the board caved in to their demands.

Note that Villas of Cave Creek LEFT Starwood (fired them as management) because Starwood was demanding expensive renovations and the board refused to do it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM
  6. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

I think cubigbird meant Coral Vista at St. John.

7. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

If he is talking about WSJ, I respectfully request that he post in the ongoing WSJ thread on this topic, rather than starting a new discussion here.

8. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I think it was WSJ SB.

9. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

I forgot about the newest phase.