TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest Airlines to provide inter island service.

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by jehb2, Aug 7, 2018.

1. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/newservicehawaii.html

"We also intend to provide interisland service, so you can fly between the Hawaiian Islands with us, too."

Has this already been discussed here? I was just looking for an update regarding Southwest service to Hawaii and this is the first I heard of this.

klpca likes this.
  2. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    That is a nice link. First I've seen in one place that lays it out so specifically. My hope is they would eventually expand service to fly from/to Seattle as well. California may be closer, but there are a lot folks here in the Pacific Northwest who like to fly to Hawaii too. If we have to add a hop to a California city, it's going to add to the cost, which may make Southwest a nonstarter for a vacation in Hawaii. :)

Dave

3. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'm waiting. We still haven't booked flights for our annual trip in March. Part of that is because we don't have firm dates for the second week. But waiting may pay off in this case.

4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

That would entail a battle directly with Alaska on Alaska's home turf. I could envision a fare war. Far more likely for SW to use their Oakland 'hub' and let Alaska hold their predominance from Seattle. Either way, I'm not fond of long-haul (5+hour) flights in single aisle aircraft.

Jim

5. BDMX2

BDMX2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Santa Barbara
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Boy would it be nice if they started flights by next June for our trip! Fingers crossed.

jehb2 likes this.
  6. krj9999

krj9999 TUG Member

I thought I saw interisland before; but thinking it may be relatively limited service (at least to start). Guess time will tell.

7. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    I know it has beaten to death (bring back the horse), but what does the number of aisles have to do with comfort on a longer trip? Nothing worse than sitting in the middle of the middle seats on a 2 aisle aircraft.

8. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
  9. canesfan

canesfan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORVN x2
    WSJ-BV
    WLR
    We have held off booking our flights for March also. With companion pass it should be a substantial savings, even having to get to CA. Crossing our fingers it’s October!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I agree with middle seats are undesirable and I don't book those unless I have to change flights right near the end and there are no other alternatives. The 2 seats by the windows are certainly preferred. However, the 2 aisles give a better opportunity to walk around and stretch your legs on a long flight. We do that about 4 times on the direct flight from NY to Honolulu.

By the way while I love Southwest unless it gives good connections from Islip to Honolulu it will not be our choice since I know there will be a least one stop. If they make it only 1 stop that would be OK. Hawaiian Airlines direct flights can't be beat.

11. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Oh c'mon. Lots of worse things. Cancer. A pregnant unmarried daughter. Losing your job. Finding your spouse with your best friend. Sure, middle seats are a PITA, but hey, you have two opportunities to make a new friend. It could certainly be worse. My point was that with 2 aisles you can get up and walk around (speaking as one who's had DVT). With single aisle planes, there are drink carts, lines for the john, etc.

12. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

Well. . . .as W.C. Fields once said "Anything worth having is worth cheating for".

With Southwest you can build a surrogate "business class" seat set - if you are willing to spend the money.

A couple can buy 3 seats. (Look under "customers of size"). Lift up the seat arms, and you have plenty of side room. Plus you can stick your small carry on under the middle seat's underseat storage area, instead of cramping your own feet. Still 32 inch pitch (no way to dodge that), and the seats are the same, but if you caught a sale. . . .

BDMX2 likes this.
  13. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    Just remember that it is primarily the Airbus A330 variants and Boeing 767 variants that are 2-4-2 configurations. Many/most Boeing 777, and almost all of the new 787 configurations, are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3. I think American's 777-200s still have 2 seats by the windows, but their 777-300s and (I think) all of the 777s operated by United and Delta have three seats along the sides.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018 at 9:54 PM
  14. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    :banana:Companion pass here I come

GT75 and BDMX2 like this.
  15. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

Not just a battle with Alaska, but with Delta as well, as Delta builds Seattle as a hub for Pacific flights. Family is on Kauai now, and one of them flew to Lihue from Seattle on Delta.