• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southern California Wildfires

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My heart is aching for all those families who have lost loved ones and homes due to this wildfire. My prayers go out to you. It appears as though this is one of the worse fires I've seen as it is so out of control.. Prayers for the firefighters who risk their lives to control this devastating nightmare.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My heart is aching for all those families who have lost loved ones and homes due to this wildfire. My prayers go out to you. It appears as though this is one of the worse fires I've seen as it is so out of control.. Prayers for the firefighters who risk their lives to control this devastating nightmare.
My cousin and aunt had to evacuate twice already. Smoke is thick in all surrounding areas. Contact is limited in many areas, cable down, WiFi down, cell service occasionally works.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My bff and her daughter live in Paradise, CA where the Camp Fire wildfire is currently devastating their community. They evacuated Thursday morning to Chico, then moved again to Roseville. I am devastated for them. Even if their house escaped the town/community is gone.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree my heart goes out to anyone in Southern Calif. This have been a very tough year for the whole state of California.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I agree my heart goes out to anyone in Southern Calif. This have been a very tough year for the state.
Please don't forget those in Northern California. They've been hit very hard this year as well.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in San Diego County which is not close to any of the fires (for once), and I've been smelling the fires for the last 2 days. I can't see smoke or anything - sky looks clear and beautiful, but I still smell the fire smell. :(

I was really blown away watching the news last night and hearing them say this is the most devastating fire in California history. I've been through some whoppers, so referring to this being the worst ever is very significant.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
All of this is so sad and tragic.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having lost my home in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, my thoughts immediately go to the task of finding a temporary place to live. With 2 children in school and a good job -- I needed to stay in the area. With rental prices already sky high in Socal, I don't know how this will be accomplished by those who need to relocate. In Paradise fire area, it will be nearly impossible. This is the type of crisis that may cause a person to lose faith, or find it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read that PG&E transmission tower problem is suspected to have started the Camp Fire from downed lines, and Southern California Edison by a substation outage for the Woolsey fire. So many homes and lives were lost. :bawl:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I read that PG&E transmission tower problem is suspected to have started the Camp Fire from downed lines, and Southern California Edison by a substation outage for the Woolsey fire. So many homes and lives were lost. :bawl:
And the extreme drought and winds have made things so much worse.

I am still waiting to hear if my bff lost her home in Paradise. At least she and her daughter are safe and staying with family.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
And the extreme drought and winds have made things so much worse.

I am still waiting to hear if my bff lost her home in Paradise. At least she and her daughter are safe and staying with family.

Gee, California has had a drought for many years now. Let’s pray for rain to reduce these awful fires and green up California.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Thats a hot button issue out here right now since our esteemed governor just signed a bill to raise utility rates to pay for remediation efforts.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09...ss-costs-of-wildfire-lawsuits-onto-consumers/

The newly signed bill, SB 901, obliges the powerful state Public Utilities Commission to determine whether a utility can recover its costs and expenses arising from a destructive fire that occurred in 2017. This narrowly worded provision would include the Wine Country firestorms, a number of which have been deemed to be caused by PG&E equipment.

When the PUC allows a utility, such as PG&E, to recover its costs, that typically is enabled through higher monthly power bills for consumers.

“We are very disappointed the governor signed the PG&E bailout bill,” said Mark Toney, executive director of The Utility Reform Network, a consumer group.

The legislation also includes a plan for the state to spend $1 billion over the next five years to reduce wildfire risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Well without some rainy years it seems like any money spent will be the proverbial drop in a bucket, no pun intended. Driving up to Yosemite this year was sobering. Everything that wasn't already burned was tinder dry.

We considered buying a cabin in Idyllwild but insurance (if you can get it) is cost prohibitive, and for once I don't blame the insurance companies. I wouldn't insure that risk either.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thats a hot button issue out here right now since our esteemed governor just signed a bill to raise utility rates to pay for remediation efforts.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09...ss-costs-of-wildfire-lawsuits-onto-consumers/

The newly signed bill, SB 901, obliges the powerful state Public Utilities Commission to determine whether a utility can recover its costs and expenses arising from a destructive fire that occurred in 2017. This narrowly worded provision would include the Wine Country firestorms, a number of which have been deemed to be caused by PG&E equipment.

When the PUC allows a utility, such as PG&E, to recover its costs, that typically is enabled through higher monthly power bills for consumers.

“We are very disappointed the governor signed the PG&E bailout bill,” said Mark Toney, executive director of The Utility Reform Network, a consumer group.

The legislation also includes a plan for the state to spend $1 billion over the next five years to reduce wildfire risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We went through something similar after the 2003 or 2007 fires (can't remember which). I don't understand why this isn't a shareholder risk/expense. SDGE has started turning off transmission lines in our backcountry during red flag warnings. It's about time.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
First and most of all, I hope all those still missing are safe and found soon. Nothing is more important than that.

But not long after, there needs to be some serious thought given to NOT rebuilding in these areas. I've listened to several reports this week that all seem to have one common denominator - many of these cities / towns are located in areas easily and extremely susceptible to forest fires. As B2bailey said above, in many of these areas there was little (if any) available housing before the fires. The next few weeks are going to be very hard on those displaced by the fires. I hope some of the victims 'make lemonade from lemons' and use this opportunity to find housing in safe area (fire wise).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First and most of all, I hope all those still missing are safe and found soon. Nothing is more important than that.

But not long after, there needs to be some serious thought given to NOT rebuilding in these areas. I've listened to several reports this week that all seem to have one common denominator - many of these cities / towns are located in areas easily and extremely susceptible to forest fires. As B2bailey said above, in many of these areas there was little (if any) available housing before the fires. The next few weeks are going to be very hard on those displaced by the fires. I hope some of the victims 'make lemonade from lemons' and use this opportunity to find housing in safe area (fire wise).
I am not familiar with the current fire areas, but in 2007 many of our friends in nearby Rancho Bernardo lost their homes. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Fire The fire jumped an entire freeway (10-12 lanes) and burned suburban neighborhoods. The issue is the winds (up to 90mph in the Witch Fire) and the dry conditions in the backcountry. It blows from the unincorporated, sparsely developed areas right into suburbia. The same thing happened in Santa Rosa last year.

Edit: Just found this picture on the wiki for the Cedar fire. My daughter was trying to get home from SDSU and called me to say that there was fire on both sides of the freeway and that she was going back to school. I truly couldn't imagine that. I hadn't seen this picture before. Wow. Terrifying. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Cedar_Fire_crosses_Interstate_15.jpg

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I am not familiar with the current fire areas, but in 2007 many of our friends in nearby Rancho Bernardo lost their homes. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Fire The fire jumped an entire freeway (10-12 lanes) and burned suburban neighborhoods. The issue is the winds (up to 90mph in the Witch Fire) and the dry conditions in the backcountry. It blows from the unincorporated, sparsely developed areas right into suburbia. The same thing happened in Santa Rosa last year.

Edit: Just found this picture on the wiki for the Cedar fire. My daughter was trying to get home from SDSU and called me to say that there was fire on both sides of the freeway and that she was going back to school. I truly couldn't imagine that. I hadn't seen this picture before. Wow. Terrifying. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Cedar_Fire_crosses_Interstate_15.jpg

Amazing photo!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I live close to Rancho Bernardo. I survived the 2003 fires, the 2007 fires and also the Cedar fire. In RB, a portion of the houses that burned had wooden shake roofs, and wooden fences that attached to the house as well as attached to the neighbor's fence. The homes were evacuated and sparks carried by the winds would land on the roofs, would be blown in through the attic vents or would land on the wooden fences. Then, as time passed, some would go out but some would burst into flame. Since then, I think shake roofs have been removed from the building code and the pitch of the attic vents has been reduced. But I think that wooden fences connected directly to a wooden sided house is still allowed (even though dangerous).

Last December I toured the area of Santa Rosa where 20 plus people parished. I was told that the fires started in the hills, first burning down many of the cell towers or otherwise taking them off line. Then when authorities tried the reverse-911 calls, many failed to go through. It was the middle of the night. The worst area was heavily populated and looked like about 1 mile x 2 miles with every house gone. I noted that the space between houses was narrow - - perhaps 8 feet or so and that the entire community had wooden 6 foot high fences. Some of the fences that came close to the front of the lot lines by the street survived to the point that you could make out that it was part of a fence surrounding the home. What I found really tragic was houses where the burned wrecks of cars in the garage could be seen and where the driveway also contain 3 or 4 burned vehicles. I suspect that they were houses where no one made it out alive.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Last December I toured the area of Santa Rosa where 70 plus people parished. .
I'm not trying to argue with you, just to understand something. I thought I kept reading that the Paradise Camp Fire was now the deadliest in California. I assumed that meant in terms of deaths, but maybe it's acreage. Anyway, I looked up the deaths in the Santa Rosa fire and I keep seeing 22 people died. Where did you find the number of 70? Again, I'd just like to clean this up.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My fire captain BIL says that palm trees go up like Roman candles (full of oil) and that draperies and blinds will combust (inside the house!) because of the radiant heat. When we have fires like that you just have to get out. My youngest daughter went to Sonoma State. I remember reading an article where the university president and her husband slept through the evacuation orders (sheriff driving through using their speakers) and woke up and barely escaped. https://www-sfgate-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.sfgate.com/news/amp/Sonoma-State-president-husband-describe-12268258.php?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Sonoma-State-president-husband-describe-12268258.php We had total gridlock during the 2007 evacuation. My 80yo mom is already fretting about being able to evacuate. I hate the santa ana winds and hope we make it through again this year. These fires are just devastating.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not trying to argue with you, just to understand something. I thought I kept reading that the Paradise Camp Fire was now the deadliest in California. I assumed that meant in terms of deaths, but maybe it's acreage. Anyway, I looked up the deaths in the Santa Rosa fire and I keep seeing 22 people died. Where did you find the number of 70? Again, I'd just like to clean this up.
You are right Luanne. Paradise is now first on the list that no one wants to make. I googled deadliest Ca fires and it brought up a pdf from Calfire. I can't figure out how to link it on my phone.

Such tragedy. It just boggles the mind.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You are right Luanne. Paradise is now first on the list that no one wants to make. I googled deadliest Ca fires and it brought up a pdf from Calfire. I can't figure out how to link it on my phone.

Such tragedy. It just boggles the mind.
My bff still doesn't know if her house is there or not.

Just found out their house is gone.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that you are probably correct. To see the post Santa Rosa devastation first hand was a chilling and sobering experience. It looked like pictures of Hiroshima.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think that you are probably correct. To see the post Santa Rosa devastation first hand was a chilling and sobering experience. It looked like pictures of Hiroshima.
I saw a picture of where my bff's house used to be. Just the chimney is left standing, and there is still smoke all around. A friend of theirs with the fire department was able to get it, they still aren't letting residents back in yet.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw a picture of where my bff's house used to be. Just the chimney is left standing, and there is still smoke all around. A friend of theirs with the fire department was able to get it, they still aren't letting residents back in yet.
So awful. I hate to hear this.