• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sonar Images Raise Hopes of Locating Earhart's Lost Plane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Sonar Images Raise Hopes of Locating Amelia Earhart's Lost Plane - from Richmond Times Dispatch/ McClatchy Newspapers/TimesDispatch.com

51a94f1f74f92.image.jpg
(AP Photo/File)
This undated file photo shows Amelia Earhart. Three bone fragments found on a South Pacific island could help prove that Earhart died as a castaway after failing in her quest to circumnavigate the globe. Researchers told The Associated Press on Friday Dec. 17, 2010 that the University of Oklahoma hopes to extract DNA from bones found by a Delaware group dedicated to the recovery of historic aircraft. The fragments were recovered earlier this year on an uninhabited island about 1,800 miles south of Hawaii.

Richard

deannak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amelia has always been one of my heroes. As much as I'd like to know what happened to her, it will take away from the mystique. The unsolved mystery is part of the fascination. That said, I will follow the story with interest!

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
The news reported he needs three million dollars to go out next year to verify it is her plane. It is one of the great mysteries that needs to be solved.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dad is a retired high school history teacher and both him and I are WWII history buffs. 4 years ago we flew to Guam, Saipan and Tinian (all 3 islands are US territory if you didn't know that) to explore the historical sites. While on Saipan we visited a jail cell where supposedly Earhart and Noonan were kept by the Japanese. This led me to do a lot of reading on her and her disappearance. I realize there's a lot of conspiracy theory crapola on the Internet and I'm not saying I support this theory, but one of the leading theories is that FDR asked her to deviate her course in the Pacific just slightly so she could do a little recon on the Japanese in the Pacific. In exchange for this he gave her a lot of military support for her flight. The theory goes that the Japanese captured her off the Marshall Islands and then transported her and Noonan to Saipan where she was jailed for several years before being executed and buried somewhere on Saipan or Tinian. There are lots of eyewitness reports from Marshall Islanders, Saipanese and even US military soldiers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3p6KQyKhE

http://earhartonsaipan.blogspot.com/2013/02/was-amelia-earhart-on-saipan.html

The bone fragments found on Gardner Island was inconclusive as to whether it was Earhart's or Noonan's.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-20038533.html

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bones Found in South Pacific 'Likely' Amelia Earhart's, Researcher Says
By Sean Rossman, USA Today/ News/ Nation-Now/ usatoday.com

"A collection of lost bones discovered on a South Pacific Ocean island "likely" belonged to famed aviator Amelia Earhart, a new study claims.

Richard Jantz, an anthropology professor at the University of Tennessee, determined the bones found nearly 80 years ago "have more similarity to Earhart than to 99% of individuals in a large reference sample," a university statement said.

Put simply, Jantz said, "until definitive evidence is presented that the remains are not those of Amelia Earhart, the most convincing arguments is that they are hers." In the same statement, the university said the bones "were likely" Earhart's.

The study was published in the Winter 2018 edition of the journal Forensic Anthropology, which is published by UF Press at the University of Florida.

Theories abound on what happened to Earhart and her navigator Frederick Noonan once they disappeared July 2, 1937, during an attempt to fly around the world. One speculation supported by Jantz is Earhart found herself a castaway on Nikumaroro Island, located east of Papua New Guinea...."

636471863887926004-earhart.jpg

On June 17, 1928, Amelia Earhart embarked on a trans-Atlantic flight from Newfoundland to Wales with pilots Wilmer Stultz and Louis Gordon, becoming the first woman to make the trip as a passenger.(Photo: AP Photo/FILE/Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe College)

Richard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In 1937, during her 2nd (and final) attempt, Amelia Earhart spent eight days in Miami.

My Aunt (now deceased) used to tell us how she was dining in Miami one night, having just returned from Havana, when Amelia and her entourage sat down at a table next to hers. They talked incessantly, but Amelia was very quiet.

According to a biography by Doris Rich (1996):
On May 29, Earhart announced her plans to leave Miami, and confirmed that she had gotten rid of several pieces of equipment to lighten the load. Some said she made a critical error by leaving certain radio equipment behind. “I have a feeling there is just one more flight in my system,” she told Allen (Herald Tribune), “and this trip is it.” Fred Noonan, her navigator, convinced Earhart to go fishing for pompano to calm her nerves.

On June 1, 1937, Earhart and Noonan rolled out onto the tarmac as spectators rushed the line of policemen to get a glimpse. Before taking off, Earhart had left more items behind: her parachute, a life raft, and a hair bracelet that had served as a good luck charm.

Lily MacIntosh & Amelia fishing off the coast of Miami:

upload_2018-3-11_20-43-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-11_20-42-13.png
    upload_2018-3-11_20-42-13.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 47

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amelia Earhart's Last Days: New Distress Call Analysis Provides Intimate Portrait of Her Final Week
By Alex Connor/ USA Today/ News/ usatoday.com

"Amelia Earhart, in her Lockheed Electra plane, sits surrounded by knee-deep water, marooned on the reef of Gardner Island with her seriously injured navigator, Fred Noonan.

She waits for the tides to lessen before sending out yet another distress signal.

It's July 2, 1937, just hours after Earhart’s plane disappeared over the Pacific Ocean on the most challenging leg of her flight around the globe — the 2,227 nautical mile trip from Lae, New Guinea to Howland Island.

“Plane down on an uncharted island. Small, uninhabited,” she calls out, a signal, apparently only heard by Texas housewife Mabel Larremore who had stumbled upon the message from Earhart while scanning her home radio.

Then, 12 hours of silence.

For Richard Gillespie, executive director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, this is a glimpse into how he believes Earhart’s last days with communication to civilization transpired — pieced together by analyzing a catalog of radio distress calls picked up by both area governmental agencies and witnesses in the immediate days after Earhart went missing....."

636344131990790448-GettyImages-1161352.jpg

Amelia Earhart in front of her bi-plane called "Friendship" in Newfoundland, June 14, 1928. (Photo: Getty Images)

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dozens Heard Amelia Earhart Radio for Help After Crashing Into Pacific: Report
By Benjamin Brown/ Fox News/ Science/ foxnews.com

"Dozens of people from around the world heard Amelia Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan radio for help after crashing into the Pacific Ocean and becoming stranded on a remote island, according to researchers.

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) theorizes that Earhart and Noonan were able to employ their two-way radio in the downed Lockheed Electra to send pleas for help in their final days marooned on the then-deserted Gardner Island, also known as Nikumaroro, The Washington Post reported.

"Will have to get out of here," Earhart could be heard saying at one point, according to the paper citing TIGHAR's. research. "We can't stay here long."

A woman in Toronto heard the pilot say, “we have taken in water . . . we can’t hold on much longer.”....."

1532581761775.jpg

In this May 20, 1937 photo, provided by The Paragon Agency, shows aviator Amelia Earhart and her Electra plane, taken by Albert Bresnik at Burbank Airport in Burbank, Calif. (Albert Bresnik/The Paragon Agency via AP)

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amelia Earhart Discovery? Researchers Eye Papua New Guinea 'Wreck Site'
By James Rogers/ Fox News/ Science/ foxnews.com

"Researchers say that a site in Papua New Guinea may contain the long-lost remains of Amelia Earhart’s plane.

Wreckage off the coast of Buka Island may offer a vital clue in the decades-long mystery, according to investigators from Project Blue Angel. The project’s members have been studying the site for 13 years and say that wreckage off Buka Island could be from Earhart’s Lockheed Electra 10E.

Earhart famously disappeared while attempting to fly around the world. The aviator and her navigator, Fred Noonan, went missing on July 2, 1937, during a flight from Papua New Guinea to Howland Island in the Pacific. Their fate became one of the great mysteries of the 20th century and is still hotly debated here in the 21st.

“The Buka Island wreck site was directly on Amelia and Fred’s flight path, and it is an area never searched following their disappearance,” said William Snavely, Project Blue Angel director, in a statement. “What we’ve found so far is consistent with the plane she flew.”

Snavely has traced Earhart’s route from Lae in Papua New Guinea. The researcher thinks that, low on fuel, she may have decided to turn back during her journey to Howland Island.

Divers from Papua New Guinea have surveyed the site on a number of occasions for Snavely. Last year, U.S. members of Project Blue Angel also investigated the site, which is about 100 feet below the ocean’s surface. “While the complete data is still under review by experts, initial reports indicate that a piece of glass raised from the wreckage shares some consistencies with a landing light on the Lockheed Electra 10,” the project's statement explained....."

ProjectBlueAngel2.jpg

Aerial shot of Buka Island. (Stephani Gordon. Open Boat Films)

Richard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recently visited the Wright Brothers Nat'l. Memorial and learned some interesting trivia...

After the Wright Brothers first powered flight (1903), Wilber died 9 years later (typhoid fever).
But Orville lived another 45 years. He met Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh and Chuck Yeager.
Earhart and Lindbergh both wrote letters to him. Copies are in the Library of Congress.

There is a photo of Earhart with Orville here:
https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/special_ms1_photographs/1822/

Orville lived long enough to learn of Yeager breaking the sound barrier in 1947.
What a life!

Brett

Reaction score
I recently visited the Wright Brothers Nat'l. Memorial and learned some interesting trivia...

After the Wright Brothers first powered flight (1903), Wilber died 9 years later (typhoid fever).
But Orville lived another 45 years. He met Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh and Chuck Yeager.
Earhart and Lindbergh both wrote letters to him. Copies are in the Library of Congress.
There is a photo of Earhart with Orville here:
https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/special_ms1_photographs/1822/
Orville lived long enough to learn of Yeager breaking the sound barrier in 1947.
What a life!

Orville even lived long enough to rewrite his brother's history
https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Brothers-Wrong-Story-Problem-ebook/dp/B07BD1YFL2

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I sense a Discovery channel special coming on...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This story is one that came up unsolicited on my iPhone today, and I happened to hear it chime. Very interesting. I was about to post it, then thought, "I bet Richard already beat me to it, so let me check first". And I was right!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Interesting. I hope we find her and give her a burial fitting for an American hero.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I'm thinking it's probably too late.

;)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anybody is in a crabby mood, you might want to read this theory ...

Link

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned