TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Sometimes it's better to buy from the brand [says Timeshare Salesman]

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by maxpot46, Feb 2, 2019.

1. tombanjo

tombanjo TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HCNY
    if you claim ben and jerry's is 50% sugar, one would like to see some data to back that up

2. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

This was an awesome post, thanks a ton for this contribution!

You are correct that I assert a ROFR of 50% only for the most premium properties. For other properties in areas with a high supply of timeshare units, I typically estimate the ROFR to be around 20-25%.

My proposition is that it's not better to purchase resale 100% of the time. If it's only in 1% of the cases, then all the better, if my product is in that 1%.

Yes, I'm referring to expensive, premium products such as you describe. You excellently capture why someone might prefer to own such a deed, but I'd add that another motivation for purchase might be simply to have one of those rare deeds that actually does retain a high percentage of equity value.

I will also point out that if you want to resell within 20 years and maximize your return, it would behoove you to own in an area with strong real estate values and a low supply of timeshare units.

3. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

This is interesting... what does PCC stand for?

4. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

this conversation makes me a bit uncomfortable , a bit like sitting through a timeshare sales presentation. We are supposed to feel a bit stupid due to our education, what we own (junk apparently, not Ferraries), our financial illiteracy (we do not understand what a great deal we miss... if we only knew the details).

The difference is, it seems that I am not getting my $100-$150 incentive to waste my time. Where can i send my bill?

flnewbie, KarenP and paxsarah like this.
  5. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

RCI Last Call Vacations are insanely awesome, an aspect of ownership that I stress heavily in my presentation. But these rates aren't available to renters. I think assuming an average rent of $220/night + taxes is very fair considering the average hotel ADR of $140 for a studio whereas timeshare typically offers 1-bedrooms of higher quality. It can obviously cost a lot more than that, and I am looking at AVERAGES. It's not fair for me to point to the very highest prices I can find, and it's not fair for anyone else to point to the very lowest prices they can find. Outliers don't disprove trends, else we couldn't assert that Chinese are short because Yao Ming.

6. e.bram

e.bram Guest

Quote "Of course not, nor do they need to. I prove propositions by providing evidence of buybacks at that price. Proving that there is sugar in ice cream does not require a guarantee from Ben & Jerry's."

The ingredients are printed on the label of the Ben and Jerry's container. This is contract ie. de facto guarantee. Just like a Kosher or Parve which cause a lawsuit if not accurate. If the TS contract would off a minimum ROFR it would be legally enforceable.

7. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

I have stated several times that I'm not pitching nor seeking to educate anyone but myself. Some folks just like to cartoonishly cast people as villains and impute motives that aren't supported by evidence. Honestly, hasn't this resulted in a lot of good information revealed through dialectic? Exactly what I was hoping for. I appreciate everyone who has engaged me with the intellectual honesty to steel man me instead of straw manning me.

8. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

By "market" price, I simply meant "retail" price from the developer. Again, dialectic is best approached via steel man and not straw man... interpreting statements charitably or asking for clarification if ambiguous are essential elements to jointly discovering truths.

9. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

It doesn't logically, though of course it helps in regards to ethos, which is quite important to rhetoric. But in any case, if you actually read the words and note the context of my claim, it's obvious that it wasn't to appeal to my own authority as a reason to dismiss an argument, but to describe how my interests and training have allowed me to achieve a far deeper financial understanding of the product THAN MY COLLEAGUES, not necessarily the participants in this thread. I do understand how reading comprehension suffers in one's haste to sling mud with a witty, sarcastic comment, however.

10. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
    Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    ....And you call yourself a timeshare salesman?

11. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

You don't get an Ivy League education for the knowledge, one can get that for free. Not so free are the impressiveness on a resume or the connections it enables.

12. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

Yes, which is precisely why I show a forum post by an owner stating his buyback offer for my product was 50%, and an email from a timeshare reseller who describes how I shouldn't list this deed for resale for only 50% because if I did my company would swoop in with the ROFR and (gasp) dare to make a profit.

13. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Actually Wyndham has many outlets it uses to move last minute RCI deals through just look at Wyndham Destinations list of companies and you will see the others...

14. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Post Card Company - “Here today gone tomorrow”

15. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

I've insulted no one, nor implied that anyone was stupid. It helps to actually read the words and not just skim enough to confirm one's biases. If you're uncomfortable, no one is forcing you to stay and participate.

16. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

True, but you could ALSO just run a chemical analysis to prove your point, and no guarantee would be necessary. In fact, that's what one would HAVE to do if in fact there was no such guarantee, as in this case.

17. tombanjo

tombanjo TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HCNY
    PCC = Post Card Company. A company that solicits a high up front fee to "get rid" of your timeshare. Since they may collect several thousands up front, they roll that into the "price" they put on the ROFR document to help get it to pass. You may pay one dollar, but the reported price might be $6742 as $6741 dollars is what they charge the owner to sell it for a dollar.

18. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

what makes me uncomfortable is the claims without any factual basis. Just like in any TS sales presentation. Now that we know you sell HGVC in New York you can certainly give us some more details, why you think it may be better to buy retail.

KarenP likes this.
  19. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

No, I call myself a philosopher writing a book on ethics who refuses to manipulate or misrepresent, and is fond of providing empirical proof of my logically coherent assertions. I despise emotional selling, which can allow someone to sell snow to an eskimo. I wouldn't even try, there's snow everywhere, that's like stealing. I can only sell if I have the best product, which I do. And as I said, I'm very controversial in the office, and would have been fired for my refusal to sell emotionally if my performance hadn't shown that my way works too.

20. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification and information.

21. andymul

andymul Guest

My thoughts exactly! As a newbie, I got SO MUCH out of that post.

WELL DONE!

amycurl likes this.
  22. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

I provided a study to support my claims as to average deed price. I point to factual average hotel ADRs to support my contention that a $220/night + taxes rental rate is perfectly fair. If you don't understand that I'm not willing to put my job in jeopardy by revealing details about my employer and specifics about our programs, I can't help you.

23. brianfox

brianfox TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina x2
    Marriott Waiohai x3
    Evidence? Seriously?
    You claim to know TUG well. Then you must certainly know we see a constant flow of newcomers we encounter with the same horror stories. Smart people who were goaded into buying from the developer. People locked into contracts they cannot get out of - ruining their lives. Talked into it by people like you.Get off your high horse, Mr. Ivy League. You ran into a brick wall at post #2 because we've seen your type here from time to time.

There has not been a single new piece of good information revealed through this thread. Except it sounds like you now know what a PCC is. Good for you.

Steak but no sizzle. Dialectics. Straw manning. Imputing motives. You are a walking cliche of everything we hate about timeshare presentations. Go away, @kaio.

KarenP, bluehende, slip and 1 other person like this.
  24. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    If you have an Ivy League degree in economics then you know how supply and demand work and why resale prices are $0. End of story.

brianfox likes this.
  25. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

If you do, congratulations. We make a sick amount of money on our 6 hour workday.