TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Sometimes it's better to buy from the brand [says Timeshare Salesman]

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by maxpot46, Feb 2, 2019.

1. RX8

RX8 TUG Member

Checking the internet it appears he is a salesperson with HGVC which happens to be one of the more resale friendly timeshares.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    paxsarah likes this.
  2. jhac007

jhac007 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
    Please PM me I am interested in your superior product. Hawaii (you heard has hurricanes and volcanoes) must not be in your superior product. Florida and the Caribbean definitely have hurricanes. California has earthquakes and forest fires. Just to list a few premier locations, therefore you must have better. Contact me for a sales meeting.

3. e.bram

e.bram Guest

So, why buy from a developer(Guarantee NYC)? Or one that guarantees 50% ROFR

4. e.bram

e.bram Guest

Proof????????? Will your company guarantee????????

5. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Maxpot46:

I think it was the late Will Rogers who once advised "If you find yourself in a hole --- stop digging".

With all due respect, I think you may be wearing out your shovel here with vague, cryptic and unsupported assertions.
    Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    PamMo likes this.
  6. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Where is the gifting table? I think we have all spent the required amount of time on this.

7. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    If he is HGVC he’s been drinking the company kool-aid. His rofr number is off, its closer to 25%. I had a Kingsland 14,400 point 2 br premier unit pass rofr at $15k all in with closing costs. I have the pre-construction price sheet showing developer cost was over $80k. There is another one on the rofr.net site a little less than mine that passed also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PamMo likes this.
  8. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I appreciate the dialectic because this helps me learn more about how this industry works.

+1 @SmithOp I also believe the 50% ROFR is off for most properties, but may be true for super premier properties e.g. NYC penthouses, Event weeks etc. ROFR.net has more typical percentages which are around 20 - 30%.

Perhaps there are some cases where a developer purchase makes sense but this is < 1% of the timeshares out there.

I predict that those units in NYC are:
    • High-point, high-end penthouses or Event Weeks etc. that cost $75,000 or more (big capital requirement, financing)
    • New developments where resale is not widely available yet (Residences, Quin). High price point means most units are financed so owners can't sell for 10 years until the loans are paid off. Resales won't be widely available until these loans are paid off in 10 years.
    • Hard to get units that rarely come on the resale market e.g. (low MF, low number of units) where only the developer has them in inventory via ROFR, and trade-ins.
    And the types of buyers this would make sense for are:
    • If one lives in the NYC/DC metro areas and already visit NYC regularly overnight and expect do so for next 20 years, then perhaps one of these newer, high-end units pencil out to a better deal compared to the alternatives.
    • People who own or work for businesses that regularly visit NYC - they want a comfortable high-end unit for themselves or their staff where everything can be written off on a business account. Businesses don't have time to wait for resale deals and want to deal directly with the developer. When they sell, they dump and don't care because the money to purchase the unit was already written off or highly depreciated with accelerated business depreciation. (a few TUGer killer deals on Ebay may have been a windfall from this.)
      • With tax reform some advisors are recommending that professionals like lawyers, consultants, and doctors find ways to get below the section 199A $315,000 married income limit so they get the 20% deduction pass-through. Some are buying $100,000 Teslas that meet the 6000 lb GVW limit to lower their income. Perhaps as real estate, a $100,000 timeshare purchase may qualify to lower the business expense in the year to qualify for section 199A?
    • People with money to burn, own many second homes and don't want the hassle of owning and maintaining yet another condo or home.
    @maxpot46 Would you agree or change the buyer profile above based on your experience?

However for most people that don't live in the NY/DC corridor, are not set on NYC visits every year, or may want to sell in less than 20 years and recoup all or part of their resale purchase, or don't have $75k discretionary to burn but can afford $20k, then resale is the way to go - not perfect because you may not own the latest unit but "good enough" given that $55k+ can pay for a year or two of college tuition, or health care.

Besides, you don't need to buy a high-end unit to stay in one. As a low-end NYC studio W57 resale owner you have the same access to the owners reservation window for up to 60 days prior so you can can easily upgrade using your resale NYC points to a view, bigger unit or penthouse stay by borrowing points, staying on weeknights, or shortening your stay without the cash outlay of a penthouse or view unit.

P.S. Must TUGers don't fit the buyer profile above, hence the pushback. However the MF they pay from resale is the same as those who bought developer and keep the HOAs solvent when people who never should have purchased a TS default and dump their timeshares. Resale buyers play a critical role in the ecosystem because they enable a path to exit which many of the TS companies fail to do.

Developers need to step up their exit and secondary market programs or the entire industry will crumble because people are becoming increasingly fearful of lock-in.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    maxpot46 and tschwa2 like this.
  9. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    As others have pointed out on rofr threads you can’t go by eBay final bid price, the seller may be a PCC that submits rofr at a much higher cost to include what was charged the original owner to get rid of it.

Even in my own case I don’t know what the price sent in was, although it was a reputable resale broker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

I would not say that is fair. The fairest comparison point would be rental rates from weeks owners who list their weeks for rent on sites like redweek as those rates are easy to find and easy to book. Hardly anyone is paying rack rates from the hotel companies.

Jan M., bluehende and breezez like this.
  11. bluehende

A good example of this. I just booked a sale getaway from RCI. I paid 200 for the week. Book through the company it would have cost 900 and the rack rate was close to 1200. The rack rate at these places is set so the sales people can say look at the numbers and the money you save.:rolleyes:

This is extreme but rack rate is certainly not the number to use unless you are trying to prove a bogus point.

Jan M. likes this.
  12. CalGalTraveler

Agree with the rack rate. No one pays that. However FWIW...Renters would not have had access to an RCI rate if they didn't own a timeshare. So somewhere in-between. I like the idea of looking at Redweek and using MF as a floor since many owners rent to cover MF.

13. bluehende

The scope of the discussion is resale vs retail so I assume one is owned one way or the other. I am sure that last minute getaway is not the number to use either. Everybody would use a different number depending on their vacation habits. We do not need or even care about fancy. Our number is closer to the last call number. Other's who insist on luxury ocean front would use a much higher number. With our two ownerships and use of rci sales we will stay for about 50 bucks a night including tax for our 80 or so days in a timeshare this year. Where we stay would not be for everyone, but we have stayed 2 weeks at the beach in a very nice resort not ocean front in OBX. We also have stayed 2 weeks near skiing with one being virtually ski in ski out. It takes a lot of flexibility and standards that are not too high.

There are also ways to access RCI inventory outside of RCI. I used skyauction for years for cheap rentals.

14. brianfox

brianfox TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina x2
    Marriott Waiohai x3
    Well, this escalated quickly!

Am I the only one getting a feeling that @maxpot46 = @kaio ?
    Perhaps Max is the identity that posts the 1% of the time kaio is not working...

Hazing ritual for a newbie TS salesperson was exactly my thoughts.
    If not, definitely wrong place to try to educate people and/or make a sales pitch.
    On the subject of TS, the average TUG user has >> knowledge than the average TS salesperson.

15. CalGalTraveler

Fair point. But consider if you did not own a TS yet and were trying to decide between buying a resale vs. developer unit. In that case renting would be an alternative to consider, and you would not have access to RCI - that scenario is what the OP is referring to.

The access to rental rates would be the same for both resale and developer purchase. In addition, most would likely not rent their own TS via RCI but would rent to stay elsewhere.

Redweek or some other mainstream sources are a broader measure that might provide a better comparison to rental market rates, because Redweek rentals also are rented to non-TS buyers making the rental prices more accurately reflect the market.

16. brianfox

brianfox TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina x2
    Marriott Waiohai x3
    Fractional ownership - Dark Side of the Moon, Platinum season.

PamMo likes this.
  17. Pathways

Pathways TUG Member

Since I normally stick to threads from the major brands, I just caught this thread today.

18. Pathways

Pathways TUG Member

Since I normally stick to threads from the major brands, I just caught this thread today.

In case everyone is missing it, OP doesn't say his company uses ROFR at RETAIL prices, but at 50% of MARKET prices. IOW, he sells it for 22K, in two weeks it's worth 2.2k on the open market, and they will buy it back for 1.1k. What a great company that will give their customer 50% of the value they could receive selling it to anyone else!!!

19. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

Can the mods make this post itself--by itself--a sticky?? Because it is *brilliant* and would answer a lot of newbie/should-I-rescind questions for every major branded system.

K2Quick, CalGalTraveler and KarenP like this.
  20. KarenP

KarenP TUG Member

Aside from all the wacky numbers, I bought a gold two bedroom Grand Vista for $1500. I lock it off every year and get two, 2 bedroom units at various places, including Ocean Pointe, sometimes even three bedrooms. Beat that. And I graduated summa cum laude with a business degree and then got a JD. (I don't understand how that improves my comments, though).

jimkin and TheHolleys87 like this.
  21. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Us tuggers never pay hotel rack rates but the reality is many people do and that is the ops customer that he can sell to.

I was in Key West the last two weeks and we checked out nice hotels, not fabulous and some were 900-1000 a night, many smaller so so ones in the mid 400 for the night and some are already sold out for next year.

I have friends and family too that pay thousands to stay somewhere for the week.

Not everyone is savvy like us tuggers.

22. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

Good catch! I'm guessing that not too many (if any) of the marks to whom the sales people try to sell this product would catch that or even know the subtle difference between retail and market prices. This sounds to me like one of those infamous half-truths that TS sales people try to pull over the eyes of potential buyers.

23. brianfox

brianfox TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina x2
    Marriott Waiohai x3
    Well, that's not an "Ivy League Economics Degree" (the caps are important for some reason). So point goes to......nah, I don't get it either.

But I'd be a little concerned if an "Ivy League Economics Degree" results in a job selling timeshare.

Ironic. You can spend a whole lot of money for an economics degree at an ivy league school or a whole lot less at a state college and come out with the same knowledge. Not unlike buying TS retail or resale.
    But I digress.

24. maxpot46

maxpot46 Guest

Of course not, nor do they need to. I prove propositions by providing evidence of buybacks at that price. Proving that there is sugar in ice cream does not require a guarantee from Ben & Jerry's.

25. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Brianfox - You have me laughing.... I have a PHD - Public High-school Diploma and am sure I’m doing better than most timeshare sale peeps.