• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social Security question

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I agree, I wish my FRA was 65 vs 67. I'm 58 and its a chore to work to 50 to 60 hour weeks I currently have to work...for me retirement can't come soon enough. We run a very lean operation in my company, last year I did 3 job titles as one person - working 60 hours a week. We got a new President last September and today he tells me that he is just going to give an across the board COLA increase no merit increase because he has not been here long enough to judge everyone...

I told him, you have been my manager since last September and in that time you have given me 3 large projects to complete along with my regular full time responsibilities and I continue to work 55 to 60 hour work weeks since January. For the past 9 months you have seen my work ethic, commitment to the company and willingness to take on extra projects when others failed miserably when you gave them extra projects...

Today is not a good day for me. I was hoping to stay at this company till I retire, but I can not keep this pace up

I am sorry to hear this. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I am sorry. I did not actually mean to say that 70 is old. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek but that back fired. It just surprises me that the government expects us to work until 67 or 70. I am in my 50s and I am downsizing and partially retired already. I still work but not like I used to. In our 50s, we are in the last third of life. I want to start enjoying more now. I was just diagnosed with a hereditary chronic disease that I need to learn to manage in order to enjoy the rest of my life.
I did wonder from your comment if their were health issues in your family. I have friends and family who were teachers and other government jobs - yes, they are all retired. They can because their retirement comes with health insurance. And, it's not like my job paid more. Dare I say, less?
But I doubt I could have worked a career in one of those jobs. Instead, I did meander a bit and focused on raising my kids. No regrets. I assumed at age 35 that I would need to work until I am 70. Now, it looks like I may not need to work quite that long.
And, i have several friends who have been on disability or took early retirement due to health issues.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I agree, I wish my FRA was 65 vs 67. I'm 58 and its a chore to work to 50 to 60 hour weeks I currently have to work...for me retirement can't come soon enough. We run a very lean operation in my company, last year I did 3 job titles as one person - working 60 hours a week. We got a new President last September and today he tells me that he is just going to give an across the board COLA increase no merit increase because he has not been here long enough to judge everyone...

I told him, you have been my manager since last September and in that time you have given me 3 large projects to complete along with my regular full time responsibilities and I continue to work 55 to 60 hour work weeks since January. For the past 9 months you have seen my work ethic, commitment to the company and willingness to take on extra projects when others failed miserably when you gave them extra projects...

Today is not a good day for me. I was hoping to stay at this company till I retire, but I can not keep this pace up
I'm really sorry to hear this. Hopefully there are some adjustments ahead which will make your work environment better.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Simply Sucks. I am so sorry. Some bosses, I had one, thinks because of your age you won’t go anywhere and use their budget to give the others a higher raise.

Job market is good, update your resume and look for another job where you can work normal hours. Is there an internal job transfer you can do?

Once you find a new job, they will offer you more.

When I retired, what triggered it was I was pissed at my raise. I got a new supervisor who gave me the same answer you got. My sales were the highest of all his sites by lots but he always thought I should sell differently.

When I gave my notice he got nervous. I was a lady, didn’t say why just I decided to retire early. His boss, called me, and offered me lots more money, an immediate bonus, an extended vacation ( I was denied 2 weeks off together off season two months prior). My raise had to be approved by this head boss so he knew I got scewed. He begged me to stay a few months more, I gave two weeks notice. I believe I was begged because the CEO of the company liked me and my work. He was so good to me when my husband passed. I left on good terms with him and he told me if I ever need a job, even in another state I will have it.

My point, sometimes it is just time to move on. For me it made me sit down and think. I was able to retire so I did. If not I would have tried to get transfered somewhere else or try to get a job elsewhere.

I am hoping what you do gives you the opportunity to go elsewhere.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am sorry. I did not actually mean to say that 70 is old. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek but that back fired. It just surprises me that the government expects us to work until 67 or 70. I am in my 50s and I am downsizing and partially retired already. I still work but not like I used to. In our 50s, we are in the last third of life. I want to start enjoying more now. I was just diagnosed with a hereditary chronic disease that I need to learn to manage in order to enjoy the rest of my life.
I personally have experienced some of the healthiest love ones left me sooner then those with chronic diseases. Life is what we make it. When I get up in the morning and can move, I look past my problems. Each day is a gift and I choose to live it as no one has any guarantees of tomorrow.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Simply Sucks. I am so sorry. Some bosses, I had one, thinks because of your age you won’t go anywhere and use their budget to give the others a higher raise.

Job market is good, update your resume and look for another job where you can work normal hours. Is there an internal job transfer you can do?

Once you find a new job, they will offer you more.

When I retired, what triggered it was I was pissed at my raise. I got a new supervisor who gave me the same answer you got. My sales were the highest of all his sites by lots but he always thought I should sell differently.

When I gave my notice he got nervous. I was a lady, didn’t say why just I decided to retire early. His boss, called me, and offered me lots more money, an immediate bonus, an extended vacation ( I was denied 2 weeks off together off season two months prior). My raise had to be approved by this head boss so he knew I got scewed. He begged me to stay a few months more, I gave two weeks notice. I believe I was begged because the CEO of the company liked me and my work. He was so good to me when my husband passed. I left on good terms with him and he told me if I ever need a job, even in another state I will have it.

My point, sometimes it is just time to move on. For me it made me sit down and think. I was able to retire so I did. If not I would have tried to get transfered somewhere else or try to get a job elsewhere.

I am hoping what you do gives you the opportunity to go elsewhere.

Panina, thanks for the kind words...My former President was a gem and he was a great manager to report to but alas he retired with a golden parachute and he is all set for life. This new President is from Singapore and green, he was in charge of sales departments before but never a President. Our fiscal year just ended and we did not come close to making budget, yet he wants to give that department all kinds of kudos and bonus money. While the back of the house that keeps everthing going is basically screwed. We had a 2% turnover before this man took over last September. Since that time 5 people have left and all senior managers.

I'm going to dust off my resume and start networking with my old colleagues and see whats out there

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am sorry to hear this. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

TravelTime, thanks... I have just decided that I'm going to pull back to working 50 hours a week and if he starts freaking out as stuff falls off the cliff, he will have to decide what truly a 1st priority

Brett

Reaction score

I'm not sure the government expects people to retire at 67 or 70 but if you mean social security as a primary retirement fund then millennials are in trouble
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/...&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Business

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panina, thanks for the kind words...My former President was a gem and he was a great manager to report to but alas he retired with a golden parachute and he is all set for life. This new President is from Singapore and green, he was in charge of sales departments before but never a President. Our fiscal year just ended and we did not come close to making budget, yet he wants to give that department all kinds of kudos and bonus money. While the back of the house that keeps everthing going is basically screwed. We had a 2% turnover before this man took over last September. Since that time 5 people have left and all senior managers.

I'm going to dust off my resume and start networking with my old colleagues and see whats out there

I went into work today at 5:30am as I had 3 big tasks I needed to accomplish and at about 10:30am and old manager that I reported to years ago called to tell me he just moved companies and would love to interview me for an opening at his new company. I guess my conversation carried thought the office space even though I was in my office.

About an hour after the call my new President comes into my office to tell me how much he appreciates all of the extra work I've been doing and how I'm a valuable member of the leadership team and he is giving me a $10K thank you bonus in addition to the regular bonus the managers are entitled to at the end of fall....I thought that was odd as we have never given a thank you bonus before...

One of my colleagues who I'm very close to asked me to go to lunch with her and she said the President heard your call that you might be interviewing elsewhere and got into a panic and came into my office and said "I can not lose her --- the bulk of what she does no one else doe or even knows how to do it" I think I need to give her a small bonus as a Thank You...

Nice to be appreciated, but sad that it took him hearing me talk to my old manager stating that I would be delighted to interview with him.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I went into work today at 5:30am as I had 3 big tasks I needed to accomplish and at about 10:30am and old manager that I reported to years ago called to tell me he just moved companies and would love to interview me for an opening at his new company. I guess my conversation carried thought the office space even though I was in my office.

About an hour after the call my new President comes into my office to tell me how much he appreciates all of the extra work I've been doing and how I'm a valuable member of the leadership team and he is giving me a $10K thank you bonus in addition to the regular bonus the managers are entitled to at the end of fall....I thought that was odd as we have never given a thank you bonus before...

One of my colleagues who I'm very close to asked me to go to lunch with her and she said the President heard your call that you might be interviewing elsewhere and got into a panic and came into my office and said "I can not lose her --- the bulk of what she does no one else doe or even knows how to do it" I think I need to give her a small bonus as a Thank You...

Nice to be appreciated, but sad that it took him hearing me talk to my old manager stating that I would be delighted to interview with him.
This may give you bargaining power if you decide you can stick it out in your current job.

Best of luck to you. I know it's been a stressful time.

I once had a manager re-write my evaluation after I'd been out on maternity leave. Before I left she gave me a so-so evaluation. I was just about to go out on maternity leave so I didn't argue with her about it, didn't have the energy to do so. When I returned after three months she pulled me into her cubicle and told me she had realized how much I did while I was out, and she was re-writing the evaluation to reflect that. As you said, it's nice to be recognized.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I would still interview with the new job, see what they have to offer.

The bonus you were told about is verbal? Anything in writing? I would have an honest talk with the new president and tell him how disappointed you were with your raise and how you felt unappreciated. Point blank ask him why after the fact he offered you the bonus, see if he is honest with you. Tell him a good pay raise would be in your pay check now and each year.

You need to feel out the situation carefully. They might be positioning themselves to make you stay by offering the bonus but will look for someone else, promising what they think will make you stay until they are ready to say goodbye.

That honest talks with the vp and potential new job boss will let you use you savvy and gut to figure out which job is best for you. You are smart, you have choices.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and I worked for the same company for many years. It was where we met. For several years during the evaluation process I pointed out how I had exceeded all goals and was one of the top performers in my Division. I requested a pay adjustment to bring me on par with folks who made more simply because they had been at the company longer. These were ignored. Then Patti resigned in the middle of the night. She had been one of the top performers in her Division. A few months later I got a Special Pay Adjutment that took me to the top of the scale. I always wondered if they were afraid I would resign like Patti had.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would still interview with the new job, see what they have to offer.

The bonus you were told about is verbal? Anything in writing? I would have an honest talk with the new president and tell him how disappointed you were with your raise and how you felt unappreciated. Point blank ask him why after the fact he offered you the bonus, see if he is honest with you. Tell him a good pay raise would be in your pay check now and each year.

You need to feel out the situation carefully. They might be positioning themselves to make you stay by offering the bonus but will look for someone else, promising what they think will make you stay until they are ready to say goodbye.

That honest talks with the vp and potential new job boss will let you use you savvy and gut to figure out which job is best for you. You are smart, you have choices.

I’ve already got the interview scheduled with my old boss for next week. My current manager, the President did put the bonus in writing and it’s scheduled to pay out next Friday.

When I came back from lunch, the President asked if he could schedule s meeting with me on Monday and during that meeting I plan to discuss market rates for my position and why our raises were done as COLA and not merit.

I learned a long time ago to be loyal to myself and not to a company

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I’ve already got the interview scheduled with my old boss for next week. My current manager, the President did put the bonus in writing and it’s scheduled to pay out next Friday.

When I came back from lunch, the President asked if he could schedule s meeting with me on Monday and during that meeting I plan to discuss market rates for my position and why our raises were done as COLA and not merit.

Good Luck at your meeting!

Richard

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You got it!

You are in a great position to make more money.

Last edited: