• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So many Vidanta RM questions (exchanger)

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi everyone,
Trying to figure out if I should try to find an alternative exchange on a Grande Luxxe RM exchange for June. Read on another thread about the loss of GL Pool and possibly the Beach Club if an exchanger. It kind of bums me out because I WAS looking forward to staying there until I realized I would be treated as much lesser than an owner. So, I have a lot of questions that I couldn’t really find the answer to. So I hope you can help. Here goes.

1) if I plan on staying at the resort most of the time, is it a cashless, wristband type of environment like Atlantis?

2) If not, do I need cash, and if so, USD or do I need to get pesos? Or can I use credit cards? We are going on one excursion, same question here. I don’t want to get foreign currency if I don’t need to.

3) I have a studio, is there anything resembling a place for food or drink? I am not expecting a kitchen, but is there a mini fridge? Or just an ice bucket? Any plates or a sink? Envisioning that I would want milk/cereal or soda/ snacks only probably, not wanting to cook meals. I heard they have a coffee machine, is it Nespresso so I can bring my pods?

4) I am in the regular GL area according to the resort code, any chance they would try to stick me in the Jungle area? I heard they are far.

5)I booked Tramonto and Azur, which during our time, Azur has a special tasting menu from a nationally renowned chef. So I assume that these restaurants are going to be high end and worth the $. Is this correct? My husband is a foodie and I don’t want him disappointed.

6) are there any resort activities, free or fee? Or is it basically sit at the pool and that’s it. We won’t have a car and will likely be there all the time except for our planned Chichen Itza tour.

7) do they have an internal shuttle that goes to the Cirque Du Soleil for the show? Again, no car.

8) I know they provide airport transport to there, but can you arrange (and pay) for the return trip through them or are you on your own?

9) what exactly does the $30pppd resort fee go to? What is the average price for an adult beverage or soft drink? Can you walk around with a non glass tumbler of your own concoction or not?

10)Is internet access included? What kind of TV channels do they have? Any American ones? Or should I plan on renting their Blu-ray to keep entertained at night?

11) are towels in the room? At the pools? Are they stingy with them? I like to have two. Are there chair “hogs” present? Are there enough chairs that some would normally be available? Or is it arrive at 6am and become a chair hog deal?

12) how intrusive is the maid service, I am not used to that in a timeshare and wouldn’t want them waking me up from a nap to make the bed I’m sleeping in.

13) any gotchas to watch out for? Know better than to do a presentation. Any other shady stuff to watch for that they will try to pull on me?

14) having seen the recent violence in Cancun, which is not far away, is the resort in a safe area? I am not terrified, but the thought that isn’t safe is in the back of my mind, but then again, I’m from Chicago originally, so not much scares me normally.

15) my Spanish is not the best, I can make the effort, but if I am not communicating effectively does some or most of the staff speak English?

Maybe more questions later after I get some answers.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
1 ) Yes - cashless for charges - wristband / chip room key
Have some cash for tipping housekeeping etc - USD or pesos - whichever you prefer

2) If you need pesos you can get at front desk by exchanging . They can make a copy of your passport at check in for this .

3) I believe GL studios have bar fridges . Recent TUG thread had pictures .

4) You should get what is booked . Rooms are assigned at check in . June is not peak season so no need to bump you to Jungle Luxxe . Resort has shuttles .

5) runs quality non AI resorts and quality onsite restaurants .

6) No need for a car .

7) Lots of shuttles . I will let someone who has gone to Cirque give details.

8) will let someone give details / cabs are always easy to get .

9) Resort fee - paid at check in . 25 % is credited back at check out against restaurant etc charges
on your tab .
Included is inbound transportation , free wifi .

It can be assumed that part of it is for hotel side operations since the cost of exchanging in is very reasonable for the resort quality . Vidanta is RTU / float weeks and builds in pesos for peak snowbird season They have lots of shoulder season developer weeks . They want / need exchangers as sales prospects and keep exchange cost reasonable to stay busy . Sales iincome is used for building & resort growth . Even with the resort fee your net cost for the week will likely be in the range of owner MF .

10) decent free wifi included in RF . Enough TV channels to watch . In Feb 2018 when we were in NV & PV there was very little winter Olympics viewing access . Also missed BandaMax channel .

11)Lots of towels . ALL YOU WANT everyday . housekeeping will replace
More at the pools .

12) Houekeeping generally cleans when you are not in the room . REAL cleaning and makes up the beds etc .

13) Keep in mind that the “hotel side “has separate management from sales side . The hotel side wants you to be a happy guest . Nothing shady there

You will check in at a front desk ( hotel side ) - THEN you will get the room location from the nice folks that book presentations . ( They work for sales) They are engaging and nice BUT have a quota etc.
“ WHEN would you like to you to YOUR presentation “ Monday or Tuesday ? “is how the question may be asked ...

14) Other than the risk of being sold a TS . the resort is safe .

We prefer the Puerto Vallarta Mayan Palace Marina location as it is easy to go off resort .
Vidanta RM is about 5 miles north of Playa del Carmen . You can easily get there by inexpensive cab . You can also catch a collectivo ( mini bus ) for realty cheap by walking off resort to the other side of the highway . This is how many resort staff get to work . We are generally comfortable (occasionally) doing this sort of thing after 12 + visits to Mexico , but then I was taking the NYC subways at 13 in the 1970,s

15) I won’t say everyone speaks English . Housekeeping and maintanence may not ; but they can always get someone who does . I have had the housekeeper use the phone and call the hotel operator .
It was to make sure I tipped her for the week and did not miss due to her day off .
Front desk , restaurants , pool servers etc - all speak English

ENJOY-

Last edited:

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Its been over a year since we were there but the restaurant at the Cirque show had some of the best food we ate on property. I'd try to eat at that one. They have shuttles to Cirque (the resort has its own underpass under the highway). I'd recommend looking up Alux in Playa also. Food wasn't amazing (though it was good) but the whole restaurant is in a cave complete with stalagmites. Very unique dining experience in Playa. Also, its a short drive by cab to Puerto Morales, a nice small town to the North. Some good eats, cheap snorkelling, and shopping. Also, when we were there you could reserve a covered gazebo thing by the pool for like $75 a day but if you spent $75 in food or drink at the pool it was free. We had a group so it was a low bar to hit. You have to reserve a day ahead I think.

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some answers;

1) if I plan on staying at the resort most of the time, is it a cashless, wristband type of environment like Atlantis?
The resort is cashless, and you charge to your room.

2) If not, do I need cash, and if so, USD or do I need to get pesos? Or can I use credit cards? We are going on one excursion, same question here. I don’t want to get foreign currency if I don’t need to.
You can use USD in most places that you will be, but the exchange rate will be worse than you may get at home or at the resort. The resort will change up to $100 USD per day into pesos, and you will need your passport to do the exchange. I never worry about the left over pesos as I can use them to settling up my final bill with the balance going on a cc. Away from the resort souvenirs, etc will be quoted in USD and pesos, but I find using pesos is less costly.

3) I have a studio, is there anything resembling a place for food or drink? I am not expecting a kitchen, but is there a mini fridge? Or just an ice bucket? Any plates or a sink? Envisioning that I would want milk/cereal or soda/ snacks only probably, not wanting to cook meals. I heard they have a coffee machine, is it Nespresso so I can bring my pods?
No answer here.

4) I am in the regular GL area according to the resort code, any chance they would try to stick me in the Jungle area? I heard they are far.
The furthest units on the property are about a fifteen minute walk to the pools. There are shuttles that will take you back and forth if you don't want to walk. If in a wheelchair, there is a special handicap shuttle. I wouldn't worry about this.

5)I booked Tramonto and Azur, which during our time, Azur has a special tasting menu from a nationally renowned chef. So I assume that these restaurants are going to be high end and worth the $. Is this correct? My husband is a foodie and I don’t want him disappointed.
No answer here as we don't do high end dining. I've been burned out eating in hotels, etc, while I was travelling for work so I look for simple, local food.
Quintos breakfast buffet is two for one after 10:30, as is Havana Moon's on Friday.

6) are there any resort activities, free or fee? Or is it basically sit at the pool and that’s it. We won’t have a car and will likely be there all the time except for our planned Chichen Itza tour.
A lot of the activities are free. Golf, massages and spa treatments are extra charge. We like to use the gym, walk the beach and use the pools so don't look for many activities. Depends what you expect.
Chichen Itza is a long day! I guess one needs to do it once, but now that I have done it I would recommend Ek Balam, Coba or Tulum instead.

7) do they have an internal shuttle that goes to the Cirque Du Soleil for the show? Again, no car.
Yes, there is a free shuttle to Cirque du Soleil.

8) I know they provide airport transport to there, but can you arrange (and pay) for the return trip through them or are you on your own?
The resort has a shuttle to the airport, but if there are two or more people the cost of a taxi is the same or cheaper. If you are leaving before 6:00 am the taxi will come to the Luxxe lobby; after 6:00 am the taxis are at the Central Lobby which a resort shuttle will take you to. Shuttle was 260 pesos per person and taxi for two was 520 pesos.

9) what exactly does the $30pppd resort fee go to? What is the average price for an adult beverage or soft drink? Can you walk around with a non glass tumbler of your own concoction or not?
Can't answer about the resort fee. If you do the sales presentation they will give you some back as a credit. They push hard to get you to go to a presentation and may offer additional perks, possibly even putting you in a 1 brm unit. It is hard sell, and only you can decide if it is worth it. Expect to be tied up (pun intended) from about 9:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Average drink cost is $6 to $9 USD

10)Is internet access included? What kind of TV channels do they have? Any American ones? Or should I plan on renting their Blu-ray to keep entertained at night?
The fee covers internet. TV selection is pretty poor, but they have CNN International and a couple of other US networks. There is no Blu-ray in the rooms and I am not aware that you can rent movies.

11) are towels in the room? At the pools? Are they stingy with them? I like to have two. Are there chair “hogs” present? Are there enough chairs that some would normally be available? Or is it arrive at 6am and become a chair hog deal?
The rooms have lots of towels. At the Luxxe pool and the Beach club there is not a problem getting more than one towel. For the other pools they give you a pool card which you exchange for towels. The majority of seats around the pool at the Beach Club are for Platinum members only. They are assigned for the day and there is a lineup by 10:00am when it opens for the seats around the pool. The palapas on the beach are easier to get. The other pools start to fill up around 10:00 am. Pool hogs are a fact of life.
My experience is March, so June should be less crowded.

12) how intrusive is the maid service, I am not used to that in a timeshare and wouldn’t want them waking me up from a nap to make the bed I’m sleeping in.
Maid service is to make up the beds in the morning, replenish towels, clear trash. They start making up rooms around 9:00 and are finished around 1:00. In the evening there is a turn down service, generally happening between 6 and 9 PM. You can always put up the "do not disturb" card on the door.

13) any gotchas to watch out for? Know better than to do a presentation. Any other shady stuff to watch for that they will try to pull on me?
No. I have never felt that anyone was trying to get me at the resort. The staff are excellent.
I don't think management would stand for any nonsense.

14) having seen the recent violence in Cancun, which is not far away, is the resort in a safe area? I am not terrified, but the thought that isn’t safe is in the back of my mind, but then again, I’m from Chicago originally, so not much scares me normally.
The resort is extremely safe with lots of security. If you are in Cancun or Playa del Carmen during daylight, you are also very safe. Alone at night is not a good idea.

15) my Spanish is not the best, I can make the effort, but if I am not communicating effectively does some or most of the staff speak English?
You will have no problem with only English. The resort staff bend over to make your stay enjoyable and almost all staff you encounter will function in English. Housekeeping staff have little English, but they really try hard.

Enjoy the trip. We keep going back because it is all so good (well, except for the sales presentation).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the studio:
You should have a mini fridge and a small sink and a microwave, but I think for dinnerware you may only have some coffee cups and small plates and spoons. I don't recall having larger plates and forks/knives. But I'm sure if you call/ask, they'll bring you some.

Very few "American" TV stations (if I recall, but it was a few years ago) and the few that are there were subtitled (you have to read the english).
but WiFi was very good.
We just brought an HDMI cable and watched Netflix that we'd either downloaded or streamed.
But be aware that if you stream, Netflix will detect you're not in the US and certain things you can't see/watch.
Amazon Prime also worked.

And of course my Tivo lets me download the TV shows for offline viewing or stream them out of the home as well.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am getting more comfortable with keeping the exchange.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am getting more comfortable with keeping the exchange.

The resort is very nice and upscale. My only issues with them currently are the $30/pp/day fee (granted the 25% discount "helps" somewhat, but I'd have to see if I have an old receipt for how much we spent), and the arbitrary amenities access.

Just whatever you do - *do not* do the timeshare sales presentation. You'll get a 1st level floor unit probably (I personally like it because I don't have to do stairs or wait for an elevator), as the sales team now apparently controls the room/unit location and you only get premium spots if you take the presentation (there are no ocean views in RM, BTW). The sales presentation is 4 hours minimum (IMO) and they will be very rude to you once you say "no". It's fine for the first 60-90 minutes which includes the breakfast. Too bad it doesn't end then.

Hopefully the arbitrary access is only temporary. But still I'd be ticked off if it wasn't noted on the Exchange confirmation that I didn't have access to certain things and then get down there and be told "no" (although they did that to us for the Grand Luxxe Spa).

But it's hard to stay elsewhere now when you have been to the Grand Luxxe. It's so very ooh-la-la.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Last time I was down I took a picture of the collectivo price list; just added it to the album of my pictures from there at https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/fQPPD6dPhpm7BoMQKc1xS9ocihOgefkJfCt97kRFVL. You can catch those at the central lobby and go to a lot of spots around there. When you check out from Grand Luxxe in RM, they’ll call a cab for you to the circle right next to the Grand Luxxe lobby & Azur; cost is 530 pesos for 1-4 pax; it is best to have in cash pesos, of course.

The free shuttle to Cirque is from the Mayan Palace lobby area and goes every 15 minutes. It’s about a 10 minute walk from GL buildings 1 & 2 or you can get a shuttle there.

No thoughts on Azur & Tramonto. We used to live in Europe and think of that as the appropriate place to eat French & Italian; I understand they are good, but I wish they had an upscale Mexican restaurant like Epazote in RM as well as NV. Nektar isn’t bad though.

I put a fair amount of stuff on recent developments in Vidanta RM in the thread at https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/vidanta-riviera-maya-update-april-2018.272309/. They’ve got live music frequently in the evenings and I recommend you try out the new market area near Quinto, where they’ve been having a small band in the evenings ~7:30, but haven’t publicized well. You can find a matrix of activities they put on through there website Vidanta.com, selecting the Riviera Maya destination, then Learn More, then What To Do then Activities, I believe; I’m using my phone now so have to go by memory. They also have an iPhone/Android app that lists the activities and will link your gps to a resort map. The app title is VidantaResort.

I wouldn’t worry about them putting you in the Jungle Luxxe. That would essentially be an upgrade in some respects since those are rather large 1 BR suites as opposed to studios and are furnished as nice as the other Luxxe units. You don’t get a deck pool with those, but you wouldn’t with a studio either. I’d have a hard time seeing them put you there without attending a sales pitch because of that.

Hope that helps.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Oh, happy hour at the pools is 12:00-2:00 with 2 for 1 domestic drinks. They typically have a drink of the day that’s 2 for 1 as long as there open (at least at the GL pool, though that’s owners only now). We bought a couple of Yeti 30 oz tumblers to bring with us there for taking to the pool/Beach Club for ice water - gotta stay hydrated! Also good for frozen drinks.... Didn’t make our own drinks, though.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have converted to Yeti's because the Bubba Keys were so noticeable. :) We take them with us everywhere. Start with ice water and you never know what is there after noon! ;)

rpennisi

Reaction score
The tv selections are terrible! Most non Vidanta resorts have some network US stations, not Vidanta. Unless you like Fox News, HNN and reading sub titles, bring books, magazines, DVDs.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The tv selections are terrible! Most non Vidanta resorts have some network US stations, not Vidanta. Unless you like Fox News, HNN and reading sub titles, bring books, magazines, DVDs.

AND they dropped the Bandemax Music channel .

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone for the replies, looks like I will have to download bunch of movies to the ipad. sounds like everything will be fine after all. Still hoping for an answer on those Nespresso pods.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know there’s a pod machine of some type on the other half, but don’t remember if it’s nespresso. You might try contacting Vidanta and asking.

lorribarnes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you see that the exchangers could not use the GL pool etc? We have stayed many times and never a problem. Maybe something new?

Hi everyone,
Trying to figure out if I should try to find an alternative exchange on a Grande Luxxe RM exchange for June. Read on another thread about the loss of GL Pool and possibly the Beach Club if an exchanger. It kind of bums me out because I WAS looking forward to staying there until I realized I would be treated as much lesser than an owner. So, I have a lot of questions that I couldn’t really find the answer to. So I hope you can help. Here goes.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There’s a whole thread about it here in the Mexico forum. Also sounded like the Beach club may not be accessible either.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There haven’t been any reports here of changes to the access for exchanging into Grand Luxxe NV. Please let us know if it’s changed when you get there.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Getting closer to the trip, still wondering if anyone can confirm if the coffee machine is indeed Nespresso. Also, what kind of credit cards can be used in Mexico? I assume MC / visa are fine, what about Amex or Discover?

On another note, I plan on making the best of it and seeing what they tell me about access when I get there. I wouldn’t think June is the high season, so maybe they will suspend their no access rule to the pool / beach club for low season? A girl can dream.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Getting closer to the trip, still wondering if anyone can confirm if the coffee machine is indeed Nespresso. Also, what kind of credit cards can be used in Mexico? I assume MC / visa are fine, what about Amex or Discover?

MC , VISA , AMEX for sure ( not sure about Discover- don't have )

Best deal is to use a card with no foreign transaction fees / then have them charge you in Pesos when you settle up at check out .

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe

On another note, I plan on making the best of it and seeing what they tell me about access when I get there. I wouldn’t think June is the high season, so maybe they will suspend their no access rule to the pool / beach club for low season? A girl can dream.
Yes. Coffee machine in GL is Nespresso. Buy the capsules at Amazon, about $1 each. In the morning you'll find good coffee, free, in a cart at GL hallway.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
The resort is very nice and upscale. My only issues with them currently are the $30/pp/day fee (granted the 25% discount "helps" somewhat, but I'd have to see if I have an old receipt for how much we spent), and the arbitrary amenities access.

Just whatever you do - *do not* do the timeshare sales presentation. You'll get a 1st level floor unit probably (I personally like it because I don't have to do stairs or wait for an elevator), as the sales team now apparently controls the room/unit location and you only get premium spots if you take the presentation (there are no ocean views in RM, BTW). The sales presentation is 4 hours minimum (IMO) and they will be very rude to you once you say "no". It's fine for the first 60-90 minutes which includes the breakfast. Too bad it doesn't end then.

Hopefully the arbitrary access is only temporary. But still I'd be ticked off if it wasn't noted on the Exchange confirmation that I didn't have access to certain things and then get down there and be told "no" (although they did that to us for the Grand Luxxe Spa).

But it's hard to stay elsewhere now when you have been to the Grand Luxxe. It's so very ooh-la-la.
Yes they are rude when you said no. At one presentation in Nuevo we told them we had to leave because we had an appointment with friends in town. They asked why meeting our friends was more important than the presentation.
???

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are here and it is very beautiful. Went to the presentation and was offered everything from 1M estates to $399 trial, lol. 4 hours, mostly pleasant, but I had to get testy in order to leave. Would consider coming back here, a lot to see and do here. Were allowed to use the beach club but were told no Grand Luxxe pool, only for owners. Very nice dinner at Azur, looking forward to Tramonto. Very good overall.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear your stay is going well! I just booked flights for our family of twelve, with a little trepidation. This will be our first stay at Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya, and I'm hoping it will be as nice as my last trip to GL-NV with my sisters - which was fantastic! The rules and amenities seem very different at the Grand Luxxe in the Riviera Maya. We have six children under six, so we're going to need lots of things to do to keep them busy - so they sleep soundly through the night!