• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Snorkeling on Maui?

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually stay at the Valley Isle on Lower Honoapillani Road and for snorkeling we always go to Kapulua Beach. There is free parking with restrooms and showers here. Merriman's restaurant is on the east end of the beach and is a good place to hangout for sunset. There are always plenty of people to chat with and so many turtles here. It has never been over crowded when I am there. This is also a good place to park to walk the coastal trail.

I like to do a snorkel loop around the bay. Its all good.

Bill

Kapalua Bay is a great location for snorkeling or just some time at the beach. As mentioned parking is limited and you need to get there EARLY or later in the day. We scuba dive and snorkel here several times every year. I do a lot of underwater photography here because of the diversity and number of reef fish, eels and turtles. The bay is shallow making it great for snorkeling. Then we return in the evening for the sunsets. There are often a couple of weddings going on in the evening. The middle of the bay is mostly sand with little life, but, there are reefs (with healthy coral) all around the sides of the bay. You will see colorful reef fish once you are waist deep. There are usually several turtle sightings. It is usually very calm. From the parking lot there are bathrooms and outdoor showers by the sidewalk to the beach and additional showers down by the beach. At the far end of the beach there is a rental shack where you can rent lots of fun stuff. Last year we rented the stand up paddleboards and had a blast until the legs felt a little rubbery. The only caution I would offer at this location (in addition to the usual water safeguards) is often there is a current on the left side of the bay out toward the reef. The waves break over the reef then the water needs to exit around the reef creating a current. You will see the waves breaking over the reef in that area. Just be aware you don't venture out too far on this side of the bay. We will be back in September and I can't wait!!!!

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to try to load some pics from last year taken in Kapalua Bay.

Attachments

• R0026157.JPG
    R0026157.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 60
  • R0026148.JPG
    R0026148.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 63
  • R0026117.JPG
    R0026117.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 65

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Our first trip to La Perouse Bay finally convinced Patti to get Booties. You walk across lava rock to get to the water. No problem with a good set of Booties. Patti had on her normal flip flops. So when she got to the water she sat down and then tossed her flip flops as far as she could on the rocks to make sure any waves did not wash them a way. Then I had to retrieve them for her when we were done. Now she has and wears Booties. They are also great for walking and swimming in waterfalls pools, which quite often have sharp rocks such as Hanakapiai Falls on Kauai or any of the numerous waterfalls on the Road to Hana.

Do you have a link to the booties? I couldn't find anything obvious. We tried water shoes our first trip and too much sand got in. The last trip we got Tilos sand socks which worked fairly well for fins and lava rock, but I'm not sure how long they would last since the bottom was still fairly thin. I didn't like walking from the car in them, so we still wore our flip flops and then changed to the socks at the sand.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Do you have a link to the booties? I couldn't find anything obvious. We tried water shoes our first trip and too much sand got in. The last trip we got Tilos sand socks which worked fairly well for fins and lava rock, but I'm not sure how long they would last since the bottom was still fairly thin. I didn't like walking from the car in them, so we still wore our flip flops and then changed to the socks at the sand.

Go to any Dive Shop.