TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Snorkeling on Maui?

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by DaveNW, May 13, 2018.

1. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    WorldMark
    You were all great offering tips about snorkeling at Two Step. Now I'm curious about snorkeling on Maui. We're staying at Ka'anapali Beach Club, and will have a car. Where is the best snorkeling from shore on Maui? I don't want to have to ride a boat to do this. Ideally, setting up at a nice beach for the day, and having periodic forays out into the water to see the fish and such would be great. Any suggestions?

Dave

2. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    I recall Shark’s cove was a drive to destination.

Molokini requires a boat but it’s worth it.

DaveNW likes this.
  3. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Airport Beach (about a half mile south of KBC and immediately south of WKORV) has a good reef; it is frequently used by diving companies for beach-access scuba dives. It is the beach WKORV/N owners rave about because it is a "walk to" from there. It is a public park with lawns and facilities.

Kapalua Beach (immediately north of Merriman's; 2-3 miles north of KBC) is also good; we have been approached by turtles there. But parking can be difficult.

DaveNW likes this.
  4. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    My favorite spot is right in front of WKORV. There is a park there called Kahekili Park (since you won't be able to use the WKORV facilities) that has bathrooms and showers. I just saw Robert's response pop up - Kahekili=Airport Beach. The reef is quite good. Black Rock is nearby and while it isn't the greatest snorkeling, it is a bit more protected from currents - at least before you get out to the end - and it is a good back up on surgey days. There is usually a turtle hanging out there, and we even saw an octopus last year. Black Rock is my go-to for beginners because it is a very easy sandy entry and because so far, we have seen a turtle every time. It is very crowded though.

Down south, there are very nice reefs at Ulua Beach. It is my favorite when we are staying in that area. Lots of fish (saw a manta there once) and beautiful coral, but since you are staying in the Lahaina area, I wouldn't make the drive unless you want to see different areas while you are on the island.

Honolua Bay is another popular area. We went there on a boat so I can't comment on parking or shore access, but I know it can be done. It was a beautiful area.

We've been to Molokini 4 or 5 times. We used to take one of the boats that did a 7:00 trip, back by 9:00, before our return flights, lol. I love being out on the water and it was fun to go, but as far as fish count, I was always disappointed. YMMV.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    DaveNW likes this.
  5. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    While we have not snorkeled at Black Rock Beach many people recommend it. There are also several locations along Hwy 30 between Lahaina and Maalaea. I believe our favorite is Mile Post 19. May have MP# wrong so check at dive shops. We also like La Perouse Bay.

One thing I have found about snorkeling on Maui is you want to be in the water NLT 8am. No crowds, no waves, little wind, clear water. We are usually done by 11am. Well this is actually true where ever we go.

taffy19, DaveNW and klpca like this.
  6. Sactownhammer

Sactownhammer Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Kaanapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Kona Coast, Kahana Falls, Grandview.
    Honoloa Bay does have shore access. You have to find parking on the side of the road, or just past the entrance in a shaded area. You have a short hike through a rain forest. Entering the water is a little tricky. You have to sit on ricks and drop yourself into the water. It’s worth it. You could pay for a snorkeling cruise. Most catamarans go there. It’s sheltered during the summer. Winter it becomes a surfing spot.

DaveNW and klpca like this.
  7. Sactownhammer

Sactownhammer Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Kaanapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Kona Coast, Kahana Falls, Grandview.
    I own 3 weeks at KBC. The snorkeling in front of the resort is decent if the water is calm. You will see diving companies use that area.

DaveNW likes this.
  8. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin KORVN OF
    Sheraton FLEX
    I second this recommendation. We've been amazed at what we've seen in this location.

DaveNW likes this.
  9. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    WorldMark
    Some great ideas, everyone. Thanks! I'm getting excited to be there. :)

Dave

10. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    Our first trip to La Perouse Bay finally convinced Patti to get Booties. You walk across lava rock to get to the water. No problem with a good set of Booties. Patti had on her normal flip flops. So when she got to the water she sat down and then tossed her flip flops as far as she could on the rocks to make sure any waves did not wash them a way. Then I had to retrieve them for her when we were done. Now she has and wears Booties. They are also great for walking and swimming in waterfalls pools, which quite often have sharp rocks such as Hanakapiai Falls on Kauai or any of the numerous waterfalls on the Road to Hana.

SandyPGravel, slip and DaveNW like this.
  11. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    We usually stay at the Valley Isle on Lower Honoapillani Road and for snorkeling we always go to Kapulua Beach. There is free parking with restrooms and showers here. Merriman's restaurant is on the east end of the beach and is a good place to hangout for sunset. There are always plenty of people to chat with and so many turtles here. It has never been over crowded when I am there. This is also a good place to park to walk the coastal trail.

I like to do a snorkel loop around the bay. Its all good.

Bill

DaveNW and slip like this.
  12. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

One thing to keep in mind is that the snorkeling conditions in West Maui where you're staying can be wildly different than the conditions in South Maui at any given moment. On one trip to Maui, the snorkeling was remarkable in front of WKORV the whole week and everything in Wailea and Makena was unswimmable. It was just the opposite for our last trip - I tried at least three different times in front of WKORV and the water was consistently murky and the waves were probably strong enough that I shouldn't have been swimming in there. The flip side of that is Kihei/Wailea/Makena were all dead calm and visibility was amazing.

In West Maui, I have found the best snorkeling to be in front of WKORV as others have mentioned. Parking is readily available there and there are showers. If conditions are bad there and you need a quick snorkeling fix, Black Rock is pretty much always swimmable even if conditions aren't pretty on the other side of the rock. The reef is not at all exciting there, but it's kind of the McDonald's of snorkeling - you'll always see something there, even quite a few turtles.

In South Maui, my favorite spot is right in front of the Makena Surf condos. Parking there is fairly limited and access is somewhat hidden, but it's rare to see more than three or four families on that beach. There are always turtles there and I saw all sorts of creatures I hadn't seen elsewhere. The HOA there provides a nice shower. Another really good spot is the beach on the extreme south end of Kihei. If you dip in there, you can easily swim up to the beach in front of the Andaz hotel. The reef is huge and very interesting.

klpca, Egret1986 and DaveNW like this.
  13. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I'm pretty sure that you are describing Ulua Beach which is between the Andaz and the Marriott. It is an awesome reef.

DaveNW likes this.