• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Small Riviera Contracts

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also added on. Two 100 point contracts...easier to sell if need be. We sold a 50 pt BoardWalk Contract (for $151/pt) and a 130 point SSR contract, which helped pay for our new points. We still have plenty of BW points and BLT points. We got a pretty good deal too....can't remember off the top of my head. Can't wait to stay there, it's going to be awesome. I won't outlive this contract, so it will be our legacy to leave to the kids.
Did you pay more for closing by getting 2 100 pt accounts over 1 200?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Did you pay more for closing by getting 2 100 pt accounts over 1 200?
Not the OP but here is my experience.

DVC started charging more about 6 or so years ago. When we bought our VGC contracts we broke them into 50 pointers and there was no closing costs. When we bought into Aulani we were charged for closing costs and it was the same for one or multiple contracts. With VGF DVC started charging more if you wanted two 50 pointers instead of one 100 pointer. It was not a lot more from what I remember. IIRC it was about $25-$30 more per contract back then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not the OP but here is my experience.

DVC started charging more about 6 or so years ago. When we bought our VGC contracts we broke them into 50 pointers and there was no closing costs. When we bought into Aulani we were charged for closing costs and it was the same for one or multiple contracts. With VGF DVC started charging more if you wanted two 50 pointers instead of one 100 pointer. It was not a lot more from what I remember. IIRC it was about $25-$30 more per contract back then.

That was my information as well but wanted to check it out for current real time info. Thanks Frank.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
CPNY, it depends on when you travel, whether you plan far enough ahead, and whether you care which DVC resort you get. Food & Wine Festival is popular with DVCers so those who have points at the Epcot area resorts book their home resorts early and you'd need to book early as well in order to stay at your home resort. But if you tend to plan fewer than 7 months ahead for holiday weekends and the most popular times/events/resorts, you may find little or no availability at the most popular resorts by the time you look. At 7 months out, all DVC members points from all DVC home resorts may be used to reserve stays at any DVC resort, so they book fast at popular times.

Ex., trying to reserve a popular resort at a popular time, like BWV or BCV during Food & Wine, is nearly impossible at 5 months out, even if you points are based there. The home resort advantage no longer exists at 7 months out. If you don't need a home resort advantage (i.e., not planning early and don't care which DVC resort you book), then you don't need to buy points at a particular home resort. In that situation, it makes more sense to get a good deal on a resale at a DVC resort with lowest maint fees.

Offsite is far more affordable (especially the purchase price) but does not have the onsite perks. We are happy staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (offsite) for variable lengths-of-stay with our resale Wyndham points from NC & TN home resorts. Not all offsite options offer short stays with points. Not sure how easy it is to get a short stay at Vistana. If you consistently want short stays onsite, DVC is the only purchase option... or you may rent points or a room through Disney with a promo discount. We occasionally exchange into a 1BR at DVC Saratoga Springs for a week. This is not possible if your home resort is a week at Vistana nearby since there's a block on RCI exchanges into DVC from outside resorts in the same region.
It’s super easy to get short stays in vistana, I wouldn’t use the star options at my home resort in vistana when I can easily pick up II getaways for a few hundred bucks in a 2 bedroom. I was thinking of DVC for occasional trips and the advantage of booking fast passes. How far in advance can you book a fast pass as a DVC member?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It looks like DVC has some pretty stiff restrictions on resales compared to other resorts. I thought MVC and VSE had a lot of resale restrictions with having to buy more to re enroll or retro resale weeks into the network. The DVC site really lists some heft restrictions. So buying at riviera resale, those points will only be able to be used in riviera and any resale on other resorts purchased after riviera opens will not be able to trade into riviera? Did I read that right? Which park is riviera closest?

Seeing if buying DVC may be an option. Ultimately fast pass booking is a huge draw, do owners get preferential timeframe vs Disney hotel and non hotel guests? If so Does that apply if i rent points instead of buy?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like DVC has some pretty stiff restrictions on resales compared to other resorts. I thought MVC and VSE had a lot of resale restrictions with having to buy more to re enroll or retro resale weeks into the network. The DVC site really lists some heft restrictions. So buying at riviera resale, those points will only be able to be used in riviera and any resale on other resorts purchased after riviera opens will not be able to trade into riviera? Did I read that right? Which park is riviera closest?

Seeing if buying DVC may be an option. Ultimately fast pass booking is a huge draw, do owners get preferential timeframe vs Disney hotel and non hotel guests? If so Does that apply if i rent points instead of buy?
That's correct, as I understand it resales for those previous resorts will not be able to reserve at Riviera going forward starting Jan of this year. The 2 previous sets of restrictions are were that you can't use for cash type reservations like Concierge Collection, Disney Collection (DCL, Disney hotels) and ABD which was really a blessing to the membership. The next set limited the non contractual perks like discounts. Presumably this same restriction will apply to each new resort and resales at Riviera and any new resorts will ONLY be able to be used at that resort and possibly with RCI. It'll require some adjustment but I don't think it'll be a big deal overall and I doubt it'll have a large affect on Riviera or other resales but it likely will have some. Riviera is closest to Hollywood Studios and will be connected to DHS & EPCOT by the New Disney Skyliner.

No discount with Disney for hotels and no preferential treatment other than some of the perks are location based whether using points or not such as the lounge at BLT and the various discounts. You get the same booking window on fast passes as any other onsite guest but this appears to be an evolving issue. So if you rent a reservation and it's in your name you can add it to your MDE account and as long as you also have tickets/passes that cover that time, make FP selections. The same is true if you trade in through RCI as most of my stays have been the last 19 years even though we own.

DVC is expensive but it's worth it for some. Basically those that can plan ahead and feel staying on property is worth more are the ones where it makes sense. IF DVC makes sense then the question is whether it's worth paying for the perks by buying retail, usually it isn't but it can vary by number of people in the family and frequency of the trips.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That's correct, as I understand it resales for those previous resorts will not be able to reserve at Riviera going forward starting Jan of this year. The 2 previous sets of restrictions are were that you can't use for cash type reservations like Concierge Collection, Disney Collection (DCL, Disney hotels) and ABD which was really a blessing to the membership. The next set limited the non contractual perks like discounts. Presumably this same restriction will apply to each new resort and resales at Riviera and any new resorts will ONLY be able to be used at that resort and possibly with RCI. It'll require some adjustment but I don't think it'll be a big deal overall and I doubt it'll have a large affect on Riviera or other resales but it likely will have some. Riviera is closest to Hollywood Studios and will be connected to DHS & EPCOT by the New Disney Skyliner.

No discount with Disney for hotels and no preferential treatment other than some of the perks are location based whether using points or not such as the lounge at BLT and the various discounts. You get the same booking window on fast passes as any other onsite guest but this appears to be an evolving issue. So if you rent a reservation and it's in your name you can add it to your MDE account and as long as you also have tickets/passes that cover that time, make FP selections. The same is true if you trade in through RCI as most of my stays have been the last 19 years even though we own.

DVC is expensive but it's worth it for some. Basically those that can plan ahead and feel staying on property is worth more are the ones where it makes sense. IF DVC makes sense then the question is whether it's worth paying for the perks by buying retail, usually it isn't but it can vary by number of people in the family and frequency of the trips.
I thought the sales rep I met with 2 years back said you can book fast passes 12 mo out. Maybe that was a concierge level? That would make it worth it to stay on property. I tend to split my Orlando trips into Disney and at least 2 days in universal, so staying off property as been fine as well

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the sales rep I met with 2 years back said you can book fast passes 12 mo out. Maybe that was a concierge level? That would make it worth it to stay on property. I tend to split my Orlando trips into Disney and at least 2 days in universal, so staying off property as been fine as well
I know there are some special options available to concierge’s but I’m not aware that they get fast passes in general that early. Traditionally it’s 60 days out if you’re staying on property and you can make up to Three. Once one gets to the time, you can get another. I know there’s been some talk lately about paid fast passes but I’m not sure where that stands. Overall we prefer staying on property but like you we are happy off property as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I know there are some special options available to concierge’s but I’m not aware that they get fast passes in general that early. Traditionally it’s 60 days out if you’re staying on property and you can make up to Three. Once one gets to the time, you can get another. I know there’s been some talk lately about paid fast passes but I’m not sure where that stands. Overall we prefer staying on property but like you we are happy off property as well.
Hmm, on property at riviera might be a good option if it’s close to Epcot and DHS two of my favs. Well animal kingdom is now a huge favorite since my first visit. Was very surprised at how much I enjoyed that park. It rained the whole time and it felt like it added to the ambiance.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Yes, we had to pay $450 for each contract for closing costs. We had also re-deeded one of our small BLT contracts so our son could be on it and receive all DVC benefits. You can re-deed as long as the person is an immediate family member.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, on property at riviera might be a good option if it’s close to Epcot and DHS two of my favs. Well animal kingdom is now a huge favorite since my first visit. Was very surprised at how much I enjoyed that park. It rained the whole time and it felt like it added to the ambiance.
DVC is a pricey but flexible program and makes sense if mainly using for the park locations, can plan ahead like 11 months, pay cash and value to option enough. To qualify for the perks you'll need to buy 75 pts retail but since those perks are not guaranteed, one would need to make up the price difference between that and resale in just a few years to have it make sense. It takes quite a few park pass discounts to do so. But some can, esp for the Gold passes assuming they're not FL resident's anyway (owning a timeshare doesn't qualify). Since you have other timeshare options you could just buy enough for an occasional stay or even just a short stay combined with off property. You don't necessarily need to own at a resort to stay there but some are more difficult to reserve than others with studios being the most difficult and 1 BR the easiest but most expensive. They also have started selling fixed weeks and event weeks (like the Princess Half Marathon). These are good options for many with specific wants/needs as it locks in a time or event and you can take points instead anytime you want up until 60 days out. But it is more expensive. You basically buy 110% of the points for that week and normally you forego both the discount specials and the ability to do multiple contracts to get to the total needed. But if you take points you get the full points total you buy (110%). Fixed weeks are always Sun-Sun but I think the event weeks are different.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we had to pay $450 for each contract for closing costs. We had also re-deeded one of our small BLT contracts so our son could be on it and receive all DVC benefits. You can re-deed as long as the person is an immediate family member.
Thanks, that's wha I thought but it's more than it was a couple of years ago. They sure have evolved in this area over the years going from no closing costs at all to one lower closing amount for all bought together to full price for each one.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
DVC is a pricey but flexible program and makes sense if mainly using for the park locations, can plan ahead like 11 months, pay cash and value to option enough. To qualify for the perks you'll need to buy 75 pts retail but since those perks are not guaranteed, one would need to make up the price difference between that and resale in just a few years to have it make sense. It takes quite a few park pass discounts to do so. But some can, esp for the Gold passes assuming they're not FL resident's anyway (owning a timeshare doesn't qualify). Since you have other timeshare options you could just buy enough for an occasional stay or even just a short stay combined with off property. You don't necessarily need to own at a resort to stay there but some are more difficult to reserve than others with studios being the most difficult and 1 BR the easiest but most expensive. They also have started selling fixed weeks and event weeks (like the Princess Half Marathon). These are good options for many with specific wants/needs as it locks in a time or event and you can take points instead anytime you want up until 60 days out. But it is more expensive. You basically buy 110% of the points for that week and normally you forego both the discount specials and the ability to do multiple contracts to get to the total needed. But if you take points you get the full points total you buy (110%). Fixed weeks are always Sun-Sun but I think the event weeks are different.
I can say with certainty I wouldn’t be there for a full week at a time. As it is now, my brothers have been pulling the kids one or two days from school and doing a long weekend. For myself when I travel without kids it’s usually for a long weekend for food and wine. Maybe buying the expensive DVC points wouldn’t benefit me much

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can say with certainty I wouldn’t be there for a full week at a time. As it is now, my brothers have been pulling the kids one or two days from school and doing a long weekend. For myself when I travel without kids it’s usually for a long weekend for food and wine. Maybe buying the expensive DVC points wouldn’t benefit me much
There are other ways to stay at Disney without buying DVC. One can do exchanges often cheaper even if wasting part of the time, you can rent privately or you can stay using codes. Weekends are more expensive but historically there difference was far more than it is now. A number of years ago they did a reallocation which made the weekends a LOT less than they were before. Some think, myself included, that they swung the pendulum too far the other way and they will swing it back at some points. Just a risk to be aware of. Plus often people staying this way don't reserve a full 11 months out day one making some options unworkable. One option is just to buy a lower amount of points at say SSR or BLT (2 cheapest long term) and stay a few days here and there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
There are other ways to stay at Disney without buying DVC. One can do exchanges often cheaper even if wasting part of the time, you can rent privately or you can stay using codes. Weekends are more expensive but historically there difference was far more than it is now. A number of years ago they did a reallocation which made the weekends a LOT less than they were before. Some think, myself included, that they swung the pendulum too far the other way and they will swing it back at some points. Just a risk to be aware of. Plus often people staying this way don't reserve a full 11 months out day one making some options unworkable. One option is just to buy a lower amount of points at say SSR or BLT (2 cheapest long term) and stay a few days here and there.
DVC exchanges in RCI correct? Is it hard to get a availability with say a MVC or vistana ownership?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
DVC exchanges in RCI correct? Is it hard to get a availability with say a MVC or vistana ownership?
Most Marriott and vistana trade in Interval. Some are dual affiliated but those are the older resorts.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Most Marriott and vistana trade in Interval. Some are dual affiliated but those are the older resorts.

What would be a good unit to own in interval to exchange for a DVC?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been about a year since I've looked much as we've taken a brake. Historically it hasn't been difficult if you're flexible but the last few years it's been almost all 1 BR units at SSR plus they charge an extra $190 fee on top of the exchange fee, for each exchange. They also haves a regional block which normally doesn't apply to points systems even if you're ownership is in Orlando but it would for fixed week deposits so you'd need a points system that trades with RCI. In your situation if a SSR 1BR works for you having other options, it's likely the best to just exchange in when you can. While we own, most of our stays the last 18-19 years have been on exchanges though they were with II back then.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It's been about a year since I've looked much as we've taken a brake. Historically it hasn't been difficult if you're flexible but the last few years it's been almost all 1 BR units at SSR plus they charge an extra $190 fee on top of the exchange fee, for each exchange. They also haves a regional block which normally doesn't apply to points systems even if you're ownership is in Orlando but it would for fixed week deposits so you'd need a points system that trades with RCI. In your situation if a SSR 1BR works for you having other options, it's likely the best to just exchange in when you can. While we own, most of our stays the last 18-19 years have been on exchanges though they were with II back then.
Thanks! I’m currently with II but would pick up an RCI trader in another program if the DVC Availability would be there. I just can’t justify owning DVC at the moment, especially since my Orlando/Disney trips are split between WDW and Universal

Riviera is the first resort to appeal to me and wouldn’t care much about staying at other resorts. I like the skyway to Epcot and HS. I guess I’ll wait and see what ROFR looks like on those resales. Although I’m sure DVC will scoop them back up to sell at full price.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m currently with II but would pick up an RCI trader in another program if the DVC Availability would be there. I just can’t justify owning DVC at the moment, especially since my Orlando/Disney trips are split between WDW and Universal

Riviera is the first resort to appeal to me and wouldn’t care much about staying at other resorts. I like the skyway to Epcot and HS. I guess I’ll wait and see what ROFR looks like on those resales. Although I’m sure DVC will scoop them back up to sell at full price.
I personally don't think there will be the fire sale for Riviera as much as some do with the restrictions but we'll have to see. Certainly either buying now retail preconstruction or waiting a couple of years to see would seem to be the 2 best approaches. It's hard to know availability owning say SSR and using the 7 month window. You might look for a DVC members who doesn't have a lot of other options and work out a trade alliance. I've seen a lot of people ask about it but few be able to make it work but it can be an option for some. Unfortunately it's fairly unusual for both sides to be on the same page and to plan ahead sufficiently. Either the DVC member wants to get a premium but not return the same value or the non DVC members wants to trade "like for like" when it comes to unit size and the like when the value is not similar. Certainly a week in a 2 BR at DVC is worth more than the same week at say a Marriott or Vistana option for Orlando but for Maui or Paradise Island, it might be a more fair trade. The person going first in such a trade has the upper hand regardless of "value".

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I personally don't think there will be the fire sale for Riviera as much as some do with the restrictions but we'll have to see. Certainly either buying now retail preconstruction or waiting a couple of years to see would seem to be the 2 best approaches. It's hard to know availability owning say SSR and using the 7 month window. You might look for a DVC members who doesn't have a lot of other options and work out a trade alliance. I've seen a lot of people ask about it but few be able to make it work but it can be an option for some. Unfortunately it's fairly unusual for both sides to be on the same page and to plan ahead sufficiently. Either the DVC member wants to get a premium but not return the same value or the non DVC members wants to trade "like for like" when it comes to unit size and the like when the value is not similar. Certainly a week in a 2 BR at DVC is worth more than the same week at say a Marriott or Vistana option for Orlando but for Maui or Paradise Island, it might be a more fair trade. The person going first in such a trade has the upper hand regardless of "value".
You just reminded me. A guy I work with sporadically owns DVC and has offered trading his DVC or my Harborside at Atlantis so I should just revist that since i own plenty of star options since my resale purchased the past few weeks!

I would never expect more for less. I’d prob break it down to a maint fee aspect/location and resort quality to make a trade. Luckily with star options, I can book those Westin resorts and make it worthwhile, every now and then then

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You just reminded me. A guy I work with sporadically owns DVC and has offered trading his DVC or my Harborside at Atlantis so I should just revist that since i own plenty of star options since my resale purchased the past few weeks!

I would never expect more for less. I’d prob break it down to a maint fee aspect/location and resort quality to make a trade. Luckily with star options, I can book those Westin resorts and make it worthwhile, every now and then then
It's not that you'd expect more for less but sometimes the sense of value varies quite a bit. OTOH there are those looking for bargains and to take advantage. People you know, or develop an ongoing relationship with, are always the best bets for this type of thing.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It's not that you'd expect more for less but sometimes the sense of value varies quite a bit. OTOH there are those looking for bargains and to take advantage. People you know, or develop an ongoing relationship with, are always the best bets for this type of thing.
Very true. I try to make it fair for all. With that being said I expect the same in return.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very true. I try to make it fair for all. With that being said I expect the same in return.
I'm the same but not everyone is and in many cases it comes down to philosophy. Over the years timeshares have been touted as like for like, pay your exchange fee and get whatever. Obviously it's not really true but that's been the line and philosophy over the years. I can see both sides and it does depend on specifics.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'm the same but not everyone is and in many cases it comes down to philosophy. Over the years timeshares have been touted as like for like, pay your exchange fee and get whatever. Obviously it's not really true but that's been the line and philosophy over the years. I can see both sides and it does depend on specifics.
I agree. The 1 for 1 philosophy doesn’t work anymore. Especially with all of the different types of ownerships and how
Costly many of them are. I’m not giving up a 2 bedroom Harborside for a 2 bedroom blue green in Tennessee somewhere. A 2 bedroom Harborside for a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC is worth it. I guess it’s all subjective when you’re making trades between owners. Everyone values what they own high. After all, they wouldn't have bought in I’d they didn’t believe in the product. So it’s settled..... you’re 3 bedroom grand villa lake view in grand Floridian for my studio in westgate orlando. That’s fair. Lol except I don’t own westgate