• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should we buy?

tgonz

Reaction score
hi, we’re at our presentation and for 2000 points it would be $21k and we’ll get the bonus 2000, another bonus 2000 and a bonus 1 bd platinum week anywhere. Is this a decent deal? And does Marriott always offer buy back? That’s what they’re saying.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
hi, we’re at our presentation and for 2000 points it would be $21k and we’ll get the bonus 2000, another bonus 2000 and a bonus 1 bd platinum week anywhere. Is this a decent deal? And does Marriott always offer buy back? That’s what they’re saying.

Do not buy. Nothing special about what you were offered; even with the "free" weeks and "free" points, you would still be paying >$8/point which is more than the price on the secondary market including enrollment fees..

No, Marriott does not always offer buy backs.

Continue your research before committing $21K.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The bonus points are only one time use. So after that you are stuck with just 2000 points, which won't go very far in the Marriott Vacation Club system. There are better, cheaper ways to buy into the system. Don't buy, then read about the program at length here, and only then go buy what you can really use. There is a scenario where buying only 1500 or 2000 points might make sense, but only if you understand the concept of "Point Rentals" and decide to play in that game. Educate yourself first, though. The deal you are being offered is standard and will always be there.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t believe that MVC directly offers buy back at all for Points.
They offer limited buy back for Weeks and they will sometimes ROFR for Points when typically a private buyer may have offered up to $4-5 per Point and they will choose to grab it.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I didn’t believe that MVC directly offers buy back at all for Points.
They offer limited buy back for Weeks and they will sometimes ROFR for Points when typically a private buyer may have offered up to $4-5 per Point and they will choose to grab it.

Someone just reported recently that MVC offered to buy back their points at something like $2-$3/point.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
3523389B-4EBC-427F-B68F-5639F92A2E03.png
Someone just reported recently that MVC offered to buy back their points at something like $2-$3/point.
I did see that, although I was not totally clear whether that just after MVC invoking ROFR
I also saw that owners have reported passing ROFR at a similar level - now reported on rofr.net.
Whether that is a new standard low, I guess time will tell?

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
To put this in perspective, on eBay a seller is offering 7,000 Marriott Points for about $2,000 with $21,000 in Marriott junk fees, total about $23,000 for 7,000 points. Don’t buy!!!!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't buy, learn the system and make a much better choice in the future. If this is your best option (doubtful) you can always buy later.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
To put this in perspective, on eBay a seller is offering 7,000 Marriott Points for about $2,000 with $21,000 in Marriott junk fees, total about $23,000 for 7,000 points. Don’t buy!!!!

Unless the eBay seller is playing games with ROFR submittal, doubtful 7000 points for $2000 would ever go through for the buyer. Unless games are being played, MVC would snap that up by ROFR in a heartbeat.

...but that fact still doesn't make the OP's deal a good one.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first purchase was 2500 points at retail. The cost was over $25,000. That was before we found TUG.

Our next purchase, also from MVC, was a hybrid of 3000 points and a a. Desert Springs week. I think it made 6000 points for about $8 per point.

We just finished doing a deal for 1500 points to bring us to Presidential level. It was $9349 including the MVC junk fees. At this moment, they seem to be passing on their ROFR on points, at least for reasonable offers.

We like our MVC points, because owning them gives us discipline to schedule vacations. I wish we had discovered the resale market sooner, though.

tgonz

Reaction score
Our first purchase was 2500 points at retail. The cost was over $25,000. That was before we found TUG.

Our next purchase, also from MVC, was a hybrid of 3000 points and a a. Desert Springs week. I think it made 6000 points for about $8 per point.

We just finished doing a deal for 1500 points to bring us to Presidential level. It was $9349 including the MVC junk fees. At this moment, they seem to be passing on their ROFR on points, at least for reasonable offers.

We like our MVC points, because owning them gives us discipline to schedule vacations. I wish we had discovered the resale market sooner, though.
Are there any downsides to doing it via resale?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

None at all. As long as you pay Marriott their take (junk fees) then they really don't care and you save a lot of hard earned $$$$$$:banana:

Why would one want to pay retail?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
For a pure points purchase, none.

Probably not relevant for you now, but if you are thinking of a significant points buy research the threads about buying points and a week direct from Marriott, I.e., hybrid deal.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score

From what I understand, if you are buying multiple batches of points at different times, you have to make sure that they all have the same starting month. Most MVC points start in January, so it would be good to buy January points. I have heard that if you buy points with a different month than what you already have in your account, they will start a new account, and your life will get complicated in several ways.

The process will also take longer than if you go through MVC. It took us about three months to get our last deal done.

These are small disadvantages compared to the cost savings.