• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I purchase at Westin Lagunamar or voluntary resort? [merged]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The thing about the Ocean Side units at Lagunamar is that they literally sit on top of the beach. Neither can be said for WKORVN or VGV. Though I haven't been to either of the two, so I can't speak to the view.

WKORV OFD would be hard to beat - there is a walkway, grass/trees, and beach - maybe 60 ft to ocean? Not sure, but... in the distance is Lanai and Molokai - and a sunset... Also, a panoramic view for corner (OFD) villas. I have 1000s of photos - never seen one from WLR that beats these (other than beach and open ocean) - although please post

As to WSJ Hillside - further back for sure, but the overall tropical view is incredible - and with 1000s of chirping frogs (evening and night) for the extra sense

YMMV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have seen your WKORV OFD pictures, YES, WLR Oceanside is best ever! :D

Please post photos - the ones I have seen are nice, but just sand and open ocean - nothing in distance for perspective (or color of sunsets) - so I guess just my mileage varies. :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please post photos - the ones I have seen are nice, but just sand and open ocean - nothing in distance for perspective (or color of sunsets) - so I guess just my mileage varies. :)
You know what they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Me = LOVE WLR views, Oceanside and Oceanview (Resort view). Me = not so love WKORV views. :D:p

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We own WKORV-OF and recently stayed at Lagunamar (not OS, but I walked the property). Both have full on, unobstructed ocean views which are absolutely stunning.

blondietink

Reaction score
I have been to both resorts. We love WLR for the ocean view and sunrise views. No sunset views here unless you walk across the street to the mall. WKORV have stunning views of the ocean plus Lanai and Molokai plus killer sunsets. I don't care which one I see, as long as I am at one or the other, lol.

braces43

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their help answering my questions about purchasing a resale at the Westin Lagunamar. My next question is probably another silly one...if I purchase a unit that has a Premium float week can I ever book a Gold week or am I "locked in" for only the Premium weeks forever? I am trying to think into the future and I know that during certain years I would prefer a Gold week rather than a Premium week.
Thanks in advance for your help.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I want to thank everyone for their help answering my questions about purchasing a resale at the Westin Lagunamar. My next question is probably another silly one...if I purchase a unit that has a Premium float week can I ever book a Gold week or am I "locked in" for only the Premium weeks forever? I am trying to think into the future and I know that during certain years I would prefer a Gold week rather than a Premium week.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Has to be in the season you bought. When you book in a different season that is a SO rez and since Lagunamar is voluntary (resale purchase) you would be restricted to the season you bought.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The only way would be to trade through II.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you knew far enough in advance, I bet you could find a Tug member to make a direct exchange with.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Friendly suggestion to the OP - if you have more questions/comments on this topic, please continue posting them in the same thread.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
I'm going to reiterate what I said before. Buying a mandatory is best, wlr is not very hard to trade into, I've never had any problems booking what I want at the 8 month window. Lots of what if's and things change. Having the options of trading within the vsn network can be of great benefit down the road. I do love wlr though.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to reiterate what I said before. Buying a mandatory is best, wlr is not very hard to trade into, I've never had any problems booking what I want at the 8 month window. Lots of what if's and things change. Having the options of trading within the vsn network can be of great benefit down the road. I do love wlr though.
I was thinking the same for @braces43 that a mandatory resort would work better as it offers better flexibility than a platinum or gold season WLR week.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
This is a hard decision. I always buy where I want to go as my primary motivation. However, I do consider the trading options because I tend to get bored some years. I just bought Westin Kannapali North oceanfront EOY because of the view category, it was more affordable than south and it comes with the highest level of StarOptions - Over 178K per year so I could do a direct trade into Nanea and everywhere else in the StarOptions system. That said, if I were in love with Westin Lagunamar, I would probably buy the 2 bedroom lockoff there and find the lowest upfront cost possible. If you do not want to go elsewhere in the Staroptions system and you have lots of Hilton points for other vacations, I would buy exactly what would make you happy. It sounds like you love, love, love Westin Lagumar. So I would buy the Westin Lagumar 2 bedroom lockout with the oceanview in your situation. Buy where you love and will use. Life is short.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
This is a hard decision. I always buy where I want to go as my primary motivation. However, I do consider the trading options because I tend to get bored some years. I just bought Westin Kannapali North oceanfront EOY because of the view category, it was more affordable than south and it comes with the highest level of StarOptions - Over 178K per year so I could do a direct trade into Nanea and everywhere else in the StarOptions system. That said, if I were in love with Westin Lagunamar, I would probably buy the 2 bedroom lockoff there and find the lowest upfront cost possible. If you do not want to go elsewhere in the Staroptions system and you have lots of Hilton points for other vacations, I would buy exactly what would make you happy. It sounds like you love, love, love Westin Lagumar. So I would buy the Westin Lagumar 2 bedroom lockout with the oceanview in your situation. Buy where you love and will use. Life is short.

But see your buying where you want to go, but kanapali is a mandatory resort, so if you were bored you could go elsewhere for an extremely high my, but that option is available to you, WLR does not have that option.

blondietink

Reaction score

But, you stated you purchased an EOY contract, which means you only get those 178,000 SO's every other year, not every year. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
But, you stated you purchased an EOY contract, which means you only get those 178,000 SO's every other year, not every year. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I always purchase EOY units when possible because I get bored going to the same place every year but do not want to exchange my oceanfront units on II or RCI. This works for me. I can use my unit or exchange with my 178K SO’s EOY. At the FourSeasons, I purchased 2 EOY units for the 13 month booking advantage because I can use one unit and rent the other or exchange through Elite Alliance. Is there something wrong with EOY units? Not sure why you mentioned I only get 178K SO’s EOY. For me, this seemed like enough to start out.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
But see your buying where you want to go, but kanapali is a mandatory resort, so if you were bored you could go elsewhere for an extremely high my, but that option is available to you, WLR does not have that option.

Yes but I wanted Maui. The fact Westin Kaanapali is a mandatory resort was a bonus. The OP said he and his wife love Westin Lagumar and do not want to go anywhere else. If I loved WL and wanted a certain unit type, I would purchase there, even without SO’s. But I am also cautious about Mexican timeshares because they are easy to trade into and hard to resell. However, to each his own.

blondietink

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with EOY units. It was just that in your previous post you stated you had the 178,000 options every year.

Yes, I always purchase EOY units when possible because I get bored going to the same place every year but do not want to exchange my oceanfront units on II or RCI. This works for me. I can use my unit or exchange with my 178K SO’s EOY. At the FourSeasons, I purchased 2 EOY units for the 13 month booking advantage because I can use one unit and rent the other or exchange through Elite Alliance. Is there something wrong with EOY units? Not sure why you mentioned I only get 178K SO’s EOY. For me, this seemed like enough to start out.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
December and January (except weeks 51-52) is low season at Lagunamar, so you can get a one bedroom unit for 44000 StarOptions. Given that math, I would buy an 81000 SO unit at SVV and use those SO's to stay in a one bedroom at Lagunamar for 13 days (your stay will have to be Sat - Fri or Sun - Sat).

Are the rules different at Lagunamar because I believe for a StarOption reservation at the 8 month mark, there are no requirements on when your stay can start and end. We started on Thursday for a SO stay in Hawaii and we own at WKV.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are the rules different at Lagunamar because I believe for a StarOption reservation at the 8 month mark, there are no requirements on when your stay can start and end. We started on Thursday for a SO stay in Hawaii and we own at WKV.
Vacationtime1 was saying that you have to check in on Sat or Sun to be able to stay for 13 nights at WLR in a 1BR with only 81,000 SOs. If you checkin on any other day, you don't have enough SOs for 13 nights.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

As what Dioxide said... if you study the SO chart, the SO requirement varies across the week. To maximize the number of days, you would pick the check-in to check-out in that the entire period utilizes the lowest SOs.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
There is nothing wrong with EOY units. It was just that in your previous post you stated you had the 178,000 options every year.

Okay I guess we misunderstood each other. Or I poorly communicated that I own an EOY. I said I owned EOY but then I said it came with 178K SOs but I meant per year EOY. I know it was confusing. Thanks for clarifying.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacationtime1 was saying that you have to check in on Sat or Sun to be able to stay for 13 nights at WLR in a 1BR with only 81,000 SOs. If you checkin on any other day, you don't have enough SOs for 13 nights.

I see what your saying now.