• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shocking- Salesman Lied

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
When we were in Park City in February, the salesman tried to get us to convert a New York (W 57th St) week to a Hawaii week w a ton more points for semi similar MF.

Assured us we could still book NY in the short window.

Told us the purchase would make us Elite - “which would give us access to ALL owner lounges”.

Since we are at W 57th St I asked. I was SHOCKED to find out that is not true.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am actually surprised when the sales people get things so wrong. i would be really pissed if i made the "upgrade" they suggested only to discover after the fact they where wrong... but it seems to happen all the time unfortunately.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
I think Elite status gets you HHonors Gold for life - that should get you access to the Hilton Honors lounges in the Hilton hotels (where they still have them) if that's what you are refering to. Hilton Hotels aren't affiliated with HGVC so saying you were HGVC Elite means zilch to them.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Elite status gets you HHonors Gold for life - that should get you access to the Hilton Honors lounges in the Hilton hotels (where they still have them) if that's what you are refering to. Hilton Hotels aren't affiliated with HGVC so saying you were HGVC Elite means zilch to them.

HHonors Gold only gets Executive Lounge access if you get upgrade to the Executive Floor, otherwise not. Diamond gets access no matter what.

Cheers.

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you for any reason are going to buy from Hilton ... gaining Elite for example, simply buy from Corporate. I am one of those who found this site too late ... we hope to add more via the resale market but we bought directly from Hilton with one caveat ... we bought directly from Corporate in Orlando.

No lies, no gimmicks, no BS.
Access to everything that is available, period.

After we purchased, Corporate helped me fix my EOY at Parc Solei to a very nice Vegas Blvd 4800 Platinum with the cheapest maintenance fees to be found.
They can find you exactly what you want and are the only ones that can do so ....

Mine took a few months to materialize but they were able to tell me well in advance that they had 'one' coming.

Fingers crossed we get passed an ROFR ... will soon hope to announce my first re-sale market purchase but I do hope the above is helpful.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

I was not referring to Hilton Hotels lounges but HGVC owners lounges in urban properties such as New York. The rule is that you must own at that specific urban resort to get lounge access. However, the salesman lied and said if I was HGVC Elite I could go to any HGVC owners lounge.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I was not referring to Hilton Hotels lounges but HGVC owners lounges in urban properties such as New York. The rule is that you must own at that specific urban resort to get lounge access. However, the salesman lied and said if I was HGVC Elite I could go to any HGVC owners lounge.

As Elite Plus, I can verify that unlimited lounge access is not true. When in 2015 I ‘upgraded’ my 5250 points (retail price) at West 57th to 14.4k NYE fixed week at Kings Land to move into “Elite” status, I was told something similar. Imagine my disappointment when I no longer had lounge access at my next W57th trip (which was booked with my remaining W57 points). So in 2016 I then (stupidly) bought back into W57 by buying 3750 gold retail because I found booking as nonowner impossible. At the time “points are points” was a selling point and I traveled to NYC 2x per year. Then the bHC loophole kicked in and that was no longer the case. But I was stuck with 18k annual points, unhappily Elite. It was a cold call from HGVC in Orlando that prompted me to voice my displeasure. To their credit, one of the guys called me back and (knowing that NY was my main destination) worked with me over the phone to upgrade my ownership to 24k points all at Hilton Club NY and the “new money” was about what I paid for the above gold week. I now am very pleased because of multiweek access to 2BR in NY, with some points left over to rent out. That pushed me to Elite Plus but was not my goal. Now, I get a couple of chocolates and wine coupons when I check in at places in addition to the wrist bands. Occasionally I've gotten upgrade from studio to 1BR at time of booking in Orlando. But overall, it’s pretty underwhelming given the $$ spent to get to that level. Elite Premier (34k points) gives you a town car pickup and drop off at airport, access to Registry Collection booking, and HHonors Diamond for life.

Everyone has their own motivations, but I would definitely not recommend spending just to get to the first tier of Elite. There is always the “next level”, incentivizing the sales people. As soon as you become Elite, sales people will say how bad regular Elite is and you have to be Elite Plus. After that, they will tell you how bad Plus is and you need to be elite Premier. It never stops, no matter how much $$ they get.

Sean

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the time “points are points” was a selling point and I traveled to NYC 2x per year. Then the bHC loophole kicked in and that was no longer the case.

Thanks for sharing your story. I highlighted this point as yet another example of "they're lying if their lips are moving." The separation of W. 57th points from others was always documented, as far as I know. The loophole was in allowing them to be combined earlier. As a W. 57th owner I, of course, loved this. But I knew that it was truly a loophole. Disappointing that the salesweasel sold this as a "feature," either truly not knowing that it was not, or simply lying.

I'm glad things worked out in the end and you have plenty of points for NYC!

Cheers.

jwayne

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were in Park City in February, the salesman tried to get us to convert a New York (W 57th St) week to a Hawaii week w a ton more points for semi similar MF.

Assured us we could still book NY in the short window.

Told us the purchase would make us Elite - “which would give us access to ALL owner lounges”.

Since we are at W 57th St I asked. I was SHOCKED to find out that is not true.

Another challenge to "points are points" includes ownership privileges. When an Elite Premier guest stays at their home location they are given certain extra privileges. You should always have some ownership at your favorite resort. I have had problems with salesmen changing my contract behind my back in areas I do not focus on during the signing process. Make the sales people sit there while you read every word.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have had problems with salesmen changing my contract behind my back in areas I do not focus on during the signing process. Make the sales people sit there while you read every word.

Better yet... Don't buy from them.
Buy resale instead, and then you won't have that problem.
... Unless that is, you can't live w/o elite status.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Another challenge to "points are points" includes ownership privileges. When an Elite Premier guest stays at their home location they are given certain extra privileges. You should always have some ownership at your favorite resort. I have had problems with salesmen changing my contract behind my back in areas I do not focus on during the signing process. Make the sales people sit there while you read every word.
I don't understand how that is possible, the contracts are boilerplate and you initial every section. You must be referring to verbal promises.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk