• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Kauai Review and Pics

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow.
Nice review Ken. Thanks.

Just saw the picture above....thought 'wow, what a great studio.' Oh wait. That's the 1 br? Really? 81k? ha ha.

I'll no longer complain about Waiohai.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Looking at booking 3-4 nights for my son and his girl firend next March using star options. I am tempted to go with Poipu because of the rainy season up north but I here the Princeville resort is really nice. Would you go south ?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Looking at booking 3-4 nights for my son and his girl firend next March using star options. I am tempted to go with Poipu because of the rainy season up north but I here the Princeville resort is really nice. Would you go south ?

There are pros/cons with each and also with what you believe the couple would prefer.

Sheraton Kauai has beach walkable from the villas. Not so at Westin Princeville as it is perched on a cliff.

Westin Princeville's villas were built as villas. Sheraton Kauai's villas are converted hotel rooms and as such are not as spacious.

Sheraton Kauai is likely to have more sun than Westin Princeville.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras

We went to Princeville a couple of years ago in April. It rained there every .... single.... day. We ended up driving south every .... single .... day. It is basically an hour or so to get from Princeville to Poipu depending on traffic. Once we made it in 45 minutes. Also in the south would be a lot closer to Waimea Canyon which they should not miss. Some of the beaches in that area to the south and west are stunning and virtually empty of people. The beach that the Marriott is on in Lihue is also wonderful the softest sand that has ever touched my toes. My vote would be for Poipu even though it seems very small.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Who remembers when the Sheraton Kauai was in Kapaa? There was a popular luau next door, but it burned down.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Who remembers when the Sheraton Kauai was in Kapaa? There was a popular luau next door, but it burned down.
never saw a luau burn down.....that must have been some luau (jk)

couldn't find any pics of the 'old' Sheraton. What was the name?

Current (historic postcard)
61dTG%2Bvh7zL._SL1000_.jpg

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
It was called the Sheraton Coconut Beach Resort. We were there in 1991. There was a very popular luau joint next to the resort, which all burned down. In case you’ve never been to a luau, they had a kitchen, a dining hall with buffet line and many dining tables, a show stage, an out building where they prepped and cooked the pig, plus other structures where they did things like take your picture and hope to sell it to you. What did you think a luau was, an empty field?

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great review. Staying there in Nov and looking forward to it, as we have always stayed in WPORV. One question on the beach in front of the resort - is it suitable for snorkeling? Never been on the beaches in that area and from the Google sattelite photo it looks calm. It may also be a seasonal thing. Thanks.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks for the candid review and photos, Ken. I've been considering Kauai for 2021 travels since I'm getting Aloha fever and it's the lone (major) Hawaiian island that I've yet to visit. I'm still afraid that it'll be too rural for me, since I do love touristy things (e.g. guided tours, chartered snorkeling trips), so please let me know what your impressions are about the island as a whole. The rooms definitely are smaller than at other locations, but I'd still consider renting there because of the amenities. A really small kitchen is better than no kitchen at all! Did I see a washer/dryer?

It still cracks me up that Westin will use up all that space for their heavenly tubs. Water is really expensive on Hawaii and I confess I've only ever used the tubs to soak my snorkeling equipment before packing them up for the plane ride.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite island in Hawaii is Maui, but I like all the other islands too. We typically go one or two weeks to Maui, and then to one of the other islands. Maui is nice and worth a visit. I like the WPORV property, but prefer the Poipu location due to weather and proximity to other places, like the Waimea Canyon and Captain Andy’s cruises. I like cruising to the Napali coast, so that would mean summer months. The ocean gets pretty rough in the winter and the cruises stop.

I have snorkeled at the Sheraton in Poipu, but there’s not that much to see compared to the Maui properties. The water is also much more treacherous in Kaui than in Maui. I found it difficult to come back out in front of the Sheraton, even though there weren’t that May waves, and ended up swimming towards the rocks and climbing out over them. I have a few friends that have had significant problems getting out at other Kauai beaches. Be careful there!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It still cracks me up that Westin will use up all that space for their heavenly tubs. Water is really expensive on Hawaii and I confess I've only ever used the tubs to soak my snorkeling equipment before packing them up for the plane ride.
well, their "heavenly shower" is not so heavenly anymore. I get it with water conservation, but the water pressure from our shower in Nanea was pretty miserly.

On your note about "Kauai too rural", I think you will find Poipu to be pretty city like. I agree Princeville is quiet and not for everyone. You still wont catch me renting that 1BR though and after seeing Ken's photos, not sure this is the best choice for a me with a family of 5.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dms11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We are currently at SKR in the 1Bd Unit - staying on SOs for 5 nites using our WPORV studio. We ended up in B7 4th floor (highest floor) - reserved at exactly 8 months.
(#TimeStampMatters)
4th floor units have vaulted ceilings in LR/Kitchen area which helps give a more of an open feeling.

Normally would use the WPORV studio to stay 6 nites in a 1Bd at WPORV (love the layout of the 1Bd), but decided to spend some time in South Kauai (Poipu) for a change. Plus, we have friends in Kōloa, and don’t have to do the hour drive down to see them.
Have to leave early in order to make wedding in Vegas this weekend. Using the left over SOs to stay at WDW later this year.

I have no issue with the SOs required (81K/week) for a 1Bd at SKR - based purely on location in Poipu.

Sheraton’s are certainly not Westin’s in terms of quality. But, SKR grounds are nice, and things are new. And like WPORV - the staff at SKR are friendly and great service. I have photos, but no different than Ken’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
b4362403331097b5f7240dcebe27d887.jpg

Kitchen photo - W/D is on right in cabinet (much nicer than WPORV - since brand new).

Microwave/Convention oven is nice and (importantly) lower so Robin can reach (including cupboards above - I have never seen her to actually be able to reach these).

Stovetop (really) sucks because of the controls. Dishwasher nice (new).

Refrigerator is perfect size (also new).
Lots of cabinet space, but lack of counter space is issue (as with WPORV studios - and Nanea based on size).

Last edited:
Reactions: LJT

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Other random thoughts (will add/edit):

TV in bedroom is almost too large.
Lack of drawers in Bd.

The ‘sitting’ area in front of TV (left of kitchen area) is useless.

The aesthetics of the overall design are nice (everything blends well) - regardless of what they had to deal with design-wise due to smaller area
(e.g. location of ‘bath area’ by LR/Kit area)

WiFi in our room seems good as I can stream the Niner game on my iPad without pixels or stalls.

Walls are thin as typical of hotel conversions - but hasn’t been an issue.

The Plantation bar next door was really loud last nite (Sat) until at least 10pm - I assume this is typical.

The quiet pool below B7-B8 is essentially empty.

Balconies on 4th floor units are wider - ours is ~8ft wider than units below on floors 2&3

Water pressure is strong. If anything I would say it is too hot. I like the hot water, but it borders on scalding. So be careful.

The shower floor tiles are slippery (8x16” and smooth). This is design flaw that we learned during a bathroom remodel. They supply a mat for the shower, but - be careful here as well.

Last edited:

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any word on when they might convert the oceanfront buildings? I thought it was planned to convert all buildings over time.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Any word on when they might convert the oceanfront buildings? I thought it was planned to convert all buildings over time.

They are claiming that the OF buildings will remain part of hotel - but I do not buy it. Their goal is probably to sell buildings 3-8 first - then open the OF buildings (1-2).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The quirks of the unit and resort are livable, but the thin walls are not.

Woken up repeatedly last night by screaming/crying baby in the unit next to us. Scared me awake (and I had already put in earplugs) - Robin was already awake because she could hear the baby fussing. It sounded like the screams were in our unit they were so loud.

We are likely going to ask for a change in units (if possible) as we can’t expect the baby’s behavior to change - and not sleeping is not an option. I actually moved to pull out couch at 4am (fun!) . Robin barely slept at all.

We will not be staying here again even though we like the Poipu location.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DavidnRobin Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully you can get some shuteye on the beach :) Thanks for sharing your review. This reminds me why hotel rooms are not ideal.

LJT

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The quirks of the unit and resort are livable, but the thin walls are not.

Woken up repeatedly last night by screaming/crying baby in the unit next to us. Scared me awake (and I had already put in earplugs) - Robin was already awake because she could hear the baby fussing. It sounded like the screams were in our unit they were so loud.

We are likely going to ask for a change in units (if possible) as we can’t expect the baby’s behavior to change - and not sleeping is not an option. I actually moved to pull out couch at 4am (fun!) . Robin barely slept at all.

We will not be staying here again even though we like the Poipu location.

Wow! that sounds terrible! We were planning to stay 2 nights this summer just to try it out - now I’m not so sure. We have stayed at the hotel on the ocean side on points in the past and not had any trouble with thin walls. I wonder why it is so much worse on that side???

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wow! that sounds terrible! We were planning to stay 2 nights this summer just to try it out - now I’m not so sure. We have stayed at the hotel on the ocean side on points in the past and not had any trouble with thin walls. I wonder why it is so much worse on that side???

Our 1st 2 nights were peaceful.
Then...

It is probably the randomness of neighbors you end up with. I have heard this was an issue from Ken555’s post, and other hotel/TS conversions.

A loud TV or loud conversations are easy to mitigate - a crying infant?

We decided to stick it out as we are entrenched - and prepare the sofa...

Reactions: LJT

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time we stayed in one of the oceanfront rooms there. Lovely room. Fabulous view. There was even a wedding down on the beach that we could see. Unfortunately, our next door neighbors in the "grand suite" had a huge, loud, drunken party (fraternity, bachelor, bachelorette?). It was so loud we had to ask to be moved. (They should have moved the party--offsite! ) Yes, the walls are thin.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Dear Sheraton Kauai -
Please...

- Sound dampen the perimeter walls of the units.[Important!]
- Shower floor tiles are dangerous. The mats don’t cut it.
- Hot water is too hot (scalding).
- Gap under front door needs to be insulated.
- AC stays on even with sliding doors open. (I like this, but...)
- Stovetop controls are terrible - need to improve manual at least.

Otherwise... had a great stay and Resort looks great. Great staff.
David and Robin
7407 (Sept17-26)

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I am curious. I have never complained about the water being too hot anywhere. I believe I would rather the base hot was too hot and it can be cooled using some cold, then having it not hot enough and get stuck with a luke warm shower. Are their shower controls not capable of doing this? I have to ask, as I don't fully understand why that would be a resort complaint.. please let me know. That is also the second or third complaint I have seen about the shower tiles. they must be horribly slippery!