• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shawnee timeshare buildings to be sold - 92% delinquency rate!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Northslope project is built near the slopes of the Shawnee Ski area and is as close as 3 miles or up to 5 miles from the Wyndham Shawnee Resort.

The estimated $40,000-50,000 per unit selling price (offers hopeful by wording in the linked newspaper) is WAY TOO HIGH (IMHO). These buildings were built in the later 1986+ (if memory holds true - it did! Google is my friend)) with T1-11 wood siding -- roofs have to be redone, new exterior paint (but most likely totally resided) and heat appears to be heat pumps - due to age, they would have to be replaced).

The original fullshare townhouse prices are NOW - appear to start at $49,000 (1187sq ft to 1484 sq ft ) for Northslope I or III. One property tax bill on a MLS listed sale unit is $6049 per YEAR. The ASSOCATION dues for that group is $3960 per year with an association fee of $1,000 to transfer ownership. That $49,000 unit is being sold by a "bank" in a ASIS sale --- looked livable and as a townhouse between other units, might be MORE habitable than Quarter share abandoned (full) buildings.

The BEST season would have been WINTER and based on the numbers 49 units -- just 1/3 of the available winter usage was still being "paid for".

DANG! Over $10,000 yearly for property taxes and association dues for a 2bdr townhouse! In very bad repair? Add in electric heat pump costs and your costs to buy, upgrade and furnish ===> RENT units at Wyndham Shawnee resort. Association pays for outdoor pool and roads (which besides repair, means plowing and sanding IMHO).

Will have to read more and do a ROAD TRIP to the Poconos ... PM if other TUGs want to meet up ... us Bargain Hunters!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe when they liquidate, those remaining 8% of owners in good standing might do well. On the other hand......

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Northslope project is built near the slopes of the Shawnee Ski area and is as close as 3 miles or up to 5 miles from the Wyndham Shawnee Resort.

The estimated $40,000-50,000 per unit selling price (offers hopeful by wording in the linked newspaper) is WAY TOO HIGH (IMHO). These buildings were built in the later 1986+ (if memory holds true - it did! Google is my friend)) with T1-11 wood siding -- roofs have to be redone, new exterior paint (but most likely totally resided) and heat appears to be heat pumps - due to age, they would have to be replaced).

The original fullshare townhouse prices are NOW - appear to start at $49,000 (1187sq ft to 1484 sq ft ) for Northslope I or III. One property tax bill on a MLS listed sale unit is $6049 per YEAR. The ASSOCATION dues for that group is $3960 per year with an association fee of $1,000 to transfer ownership. That $49,000 unit is being sold by a "bank" in a ASIS sale --- looked livable and as a townhouse between other units, might be MORE habitable than Quarter share abandoned (full) buildings.

The BEST season would have been WINTER and based on the numbers 49 units -- just 1/3 of the available winter usage was still being "paid for".

DANG! Over $10,000 yearly for property taxes and association dues for a 2bdr townhouse! In very bad repair? Add in electric heat pump costs and your costs to buy, upgrade and furnish ===> RENT units at Wyndham Shawnee resort. Association pays for outdoor pool and roads (which besides repair, means plowing and sanding IMHO).

Will have to read more and do a ROAD TRIP to the Poconos ... PM if other TUGs want to meet up ... us Bargain Hunters!
I'm confused, as you say, a habitable full share that has been maintained etc is going for $50k

Instead you buy property that does not have utilities connected and has years of deferred maintainance?

Needs to be quite a discount to make that appealing. I imagine these could go well to local GCs who could use some downtime and contacts to get them back operational and flip them.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, as you say, a habitable full share that has been maintained etc is going for $50k

Instead you buy property that does not have utilities connected and has years of deferred maintainance?

Needs to be quite a discount to make that appealing. I imagine these could go well to local GCs who could use some downtime and contacts to get them back operational and flip them.

Steve ... I would NOT buy those formerly fractionals at $50K or $25K. I was trying to figure out WHAT the full share units were asking on the MLS market.

You don't know GC's in that area -- it is the NYC people who have the resources; GCs are a different breed. It is hard to make a living driving 150 RT for a job, lumber yards and box stores a 75+ mile RT, labor who rather be hunting or plowing snow and where everything has to be counted and measured 5 times. Ask VivianLynne about her construction adventures.

lcml11

Reaction score
Are these the units being talked about?

http://www.wyndhamshawneevillage.com/files/3213/4039/8801/slide2.jpg

"The attorneys teamed up in early 2011 with Wilkins & Associates real estate brokers and Craig Roberts' Pennsylvania First Settlement title company to develop a proposal for selling all the timeshares as wholly-owned units. The association's board unanimously approved the plan, as did a "super majority" of the membership with no outright opposition." Quote was extracted from the link provided by the Original Poster.

Craig Roberts' Current: Owner at Title Consulting - Northland SI, Broker of Record at Wyndham Vacation Resorts

Past: President at PA First Settlement, President at Fidelity Home Abstract Inc

Craig Roberts' Experience, Owner, Title Consulting - Northland SI

September 2009 – Present (4 years 4 months) Broker of Record, Wyndham Vacation Resorts

January 1993 – Present (21 years) Shawnee, PA President PA First Settlement

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
NO --- those are River Village 1 ...

Drive up to the Shawnee Ski Area and you will find signs to the Northslope townhouses (villages I, II, and III).

Thank you a very much. I have an idel interest in following what happens at the Poconos.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
A small small world The Poconos [merged at this point]

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1566921&posted=1#post1566921

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...wnee_Village-Timeshares_Vacation_Rentals.html

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshare/NorthSlope+at+Shawnee/resort/buy-timeshare/ (Interesting note: Three items are listed, one for maintenance fees of $455.00 and two for annual maintenance fees of $4,000 plus.

http://www.wilkins1.com/buying/

http://wilkins1.com/blog/

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Realogy?qsrc=3044

http://www.wyndhamworldwide.com/media/press-releases/press-release?wwprdid=25 Shawnee Development Inc apparently was the developer for Northslope. This group was taken over by Fairfield. Fairfield became Wyndham.

The discussion in the original article that was posted on the other thread made reference to problems with a RCI. This is not the first reference to this I heard. In a recent sales pitch at Wyndham Shawnee Mountain, a major point that was being made to pitch Club Wyndham Access from that location was the certification problems that were happening with the Shawnee timeshare groups, except for Crestview.

I wonder if the balance of Shawnee, except for Crestview, is destine to go the same way.

Just got off the phone with Wyndham Shawnee Village, they indicated their management company (Wyndham) does not have anything to do with Northslope (villages I, II, and III)
and Better Homes and Gardens is the rental company for II. They do not know who has I and 3.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The discussion in the original article that was posted on the other thread made reference to problems with a RCI.

Since this is related to another thread, I will merge them for continuity.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score

Please see post 9, link 3 above. If I were a bargain hunter, I would not touch this with a ten foot pole. Make that a 1,000 foot pole.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
http://reviews.rci.com/0453/2177/reviews.htm?sort=helpfulness

Not withstanding the sell my timeshares now statements, it does not appear that this resort is affiliated with RCI anymore.

Just got off the phone with RCI. No Northslop with RCI.

Per sell my timeshare now, Northslop II is part of Wyndham Vacation Resorts, although, I do not see any availability through the on-line Wyndham booking system.

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/Fairfield_timeshare.html

Fairfield Resorts (Now Wyndham Resorts)
Fairfield Resorts Timeshares - Now Wyndham Vacation Resorts
A mere four decades after it was founded in 1966, Fairfield Resorts was the largest timeshare company - with the greatest number of owners - in the world. In the fall of 2006, Fairfield announced its decision to collaborate with another prestigious name in the industry - Wyndham - and to re-brand itself as Wyndham Vacation Resorts, a subsidiary of the Wyndham Worldwide Corporation. Though the re-branding process has resulted in name changes for most of the resorts in the Fairfield family, the level of quality and service that owners have come to expect from these individual resorts and from the Fairfield Corporation itself remains intact.
If you would like to become a member of the largest vacation ownership corporation in the world, consider purchasing a timeshare with one of the expansive programs offered by Wyndham Worldwide. For more information on these excellent vacation property ownership and rental opportunities, please browse our inventory of Wyndham timeshares, which include former Fairfield timeshare resales and Fairfield timeshare rentals.
Currently, more than 500,000 owner families worldwide are part of Fairfield and WVR's network of exclusive, luxurious timeshare resorts. Owners and renters of Fairfield by Wyndham timeshares can choose from 70 resorts across the United States (including Hawaii), as well as exchange their timeshares for access to several thousand resorts across the globe thanks to Wyndham's extensive network of affiliate programs.
Wyndham Vacation Resorts - United States
Pennsylvania
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - Depuy Village
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - Fairway Village
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - North Slope II
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - Ridge Top Village and Ridge Top Summit
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - River Village I
• Shawnee-On-Delaware - Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - River Village II

https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/resort/search.do

The Wyndham Vacation Resorts site does not show a entry for Wyndham Vacation Resorts Shawnee Village - North Slope II

Wilkins Real Estate confirms they are the Management Company for the Quartershare Northslope operation.

http://www.wilkins1.com/gc/NorthSlope2/northslope2.html

The description, registration for sale, appointments, etc.

I just checked Extra Holidays, Orbitz, and Hotels.com. Did not see any listings for Northshore. Tom at Wilkins Real Estate indicated they have not rented Northslop for the last couple of years.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
Anyone taking up the suggestion by another poster regarding meeting up a Shawnee Village?

lcml11

Reaction score
Anyone taking up the suggestion by another poster regarding meeting up a Shawnee Village?

By the way, just to clear up one point raised by a earlier poster, this is not a "as is sale" for the court ordered sales. The units have a one year home warranty with them.

http://www.wilkins1.com/gc/NorthSlope2/northslope2-form.html

I do not think so, however, their may be some merit to the idea of some of the mega rentors getting together and buying out a few units. Maybe a poster that is good at math can run the figures.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
odd, my av doesnt pick up a thing (two separate pcs)

lcml11

Reaction score
... DANG! Over $10,000 yearly for property taxes and association dues for a 2bdr townhouse! In very bad repair? Add in electric heat pump costs and your costs to buy, upgrade and furnish ===> RENT units at Wyndham Shawnee resort. Association pays for outdoor pool and roads (which besides repair, means plowing and sanding IMHO) ....

http://www.timesharesonly.com/resort/3472

I would be very careful in renting units at Northslope II that are being represented as Wyndham Shawnee Villages.

Rentals from the real Wyndham Shawnee Village that is part of Club Wyndham Plus has a great indoor pool and recreation facility that far exceeds the amenities described by the poster quoted above.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
RR ---
I would NOT suggest you or anyone else buy a Northslope townhouse to rent by claiming it to be a Wyndham Shawnee Resort property or part of the Shawnee Inn operations. Where do you get that from my posts?

The comment that the Northslope properties are SEVERAL MILES past the Wyndham Shawnee resort and across the street from the Shawnee Ski area (which is NOT owned or managed by WVO). Where is your logic - Shawnee-on-the-River is a town with its own zip code and post office - and a firehouse - and a playhouse --- none have anything to do with the Wyndham corporation.

The Northslope townhouses most likely are in the Shawnee-on-the-river post office service area - and the short version of that name commonly used is, Shawnee, PA.

And for over $10,000 yearly in Taxes and Association fees --- WOW! For a $49,000 townhouse? That would pay the MFs on over 1,500,000 Wyndham points (brought resale of course) -- which could be around 12 weeks a year usage at the Wyndham Shawnee Resort (the one with the very nice indoor pool).

Back onto the IGNORE button...

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I find it very difficult to believe that the taxes are $6000+ for a $50,000 house. My house was just appraised at $150K and the taxes are only $3600.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it very difficult to believe that the taxes are $6000+ for a $50,000 house. My house was just appraised at $150K and the taxes are only $3600.

Pat,
Those are the numbers for the MLS listings for SEVERAL units in the Northstar complex which are NOT associated with the foreclosed 1/4 units. And they are listed for $40K-85K. And I was dumbfounded are to HOW anyone paid those figures - but it is city water and sewer & private road with maintenance & plowing plus an outdoor pool.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Pat,
Those are the numbers for the MLS listings for SEVERAL units in the Northstar complex which are NOT associated with the foreclosed 1/4 units. And they are listed for $40K-85K. And I was dumbfounded are to HOW anyone paid those figures - but it is city water and sewer & private road with maintenance & plowing plus an outdoor pool.

Those would be the hoa fees but even with water/sewer the taxes seem too high after all, they don't even own the land. I believe those townhomes are in Middle Smithfield. Assuming the market value is $75,000, the taxes should be $2663 based on the millage.

lcml11

Reaction score
RR ---
I would NOT suggest you or anyone else buy a Northslope townhouse to rent by claiming it to be a Wyndham Shawnee Resort property or part of the Shawnee Inn operations. Where do you get that from my posts?

The comment that the Northslope properties are SEVERAL MILES past the Wyndham Shawnee resort and across the street from the Shawnee Ski area (which is NOT owned or managed by WVO). Where is your logic - Shawnee-on-the-River is a town with its own zip code and post office - and a firehouse - and a playhouse --- none have anything to do with the Wyndham corporation.

The Northslope townhouses most likely are in the Shawnee-on-the-river post office service area - and the short version of that name commonly used is, Shawnee, PA.

And for over $10,000 yearly in Taxes and Association fees --- WOW! For a $49,000 townhouse? That would pay the MFs on over 1,500,000 Wyndham points (brought resale of course) -- which could be around 12 weeks a year usage at the Wyndham Shawnee Resort (the one with the very nice indoor pool).

Back onto the IGNORE button...

Your posts, my posts, everyone's posts and the links that have shown up all speak for themselves. Maybe it would be more efficient just to leave me on ignore.

For the record, my timeshare holdings are Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, Smokey Mountain, and a small Club Wyndham Access contract. In the interest of mutual discloser, would you care to list you location holdings? Poconos perhaps? among others.

By the way, interesting math from a suspected Wyndham owner who made reference to Shawnee Resorts, a VIP Platinum owner making a pitch for the re-sale purchase. I will let the ugly dirty little secret out of the bag that us fellow VIP Platinum owners know, one heck of a lot of Wyndham Vacation Resorts - Shawnee Village in its various villages names can be had for more than 12 weeks.

I know, I know, someone likes to see links that others can see to verify. Will work-up a example at Shawnee Village that may include reservations from any of the Shawnee Village resorts using VIP Platinum points instead of the re-sale points. I bet it will be more than 12 weeks. Let's see.

January 4, 2014 to February 14, 2014 265,000 VIP Platinum Points 2 bedroom River Village II

February 15, 2014 to February 21, 2014 63,000 VIP Platinum Points 1 bedroom deluxe side trip to Skyliine Tower

February 22, 2014 to March 4, 2014 318,500 when the units come into the discount window 2 bedroom River Village II

Total Points = 616,500

There is your 12 weeks at Shawnee plus 1 week side trip to Atlantic City.

Book it today for this long term Winter wonderland vacation,

Borrowing the words of my grandchild, I win.

By the way, as you also know, using non-winter weeks can be a lot cheaper in terms of VIP points and free upgrades to boot.

One last by the way on this post:

This winter package, I am sure, could be gotten from mega rentors for the great price of $4,934 dollars using a price of $ 8 dollars per thousand points. Maybe even $ 1,849.50 ($ 3 dollars per thousand points) from two rentors that are regular posters on this site since there are maintenance fees bills that are coming due. It would be a great present for someone.

Last edited:

twinmommy19

TUG Member
Reaction score
I admit I don't know Shawnee that well, but I thought North Slope was the only Shawnee development that is walking distance to the ski area (at least some of the units)? I could be wrong about this, but North Slope has always been the hardest of the Shawnee properties for II exchange in the winter. Does anyone know?

If true - I'm surprised none of the major resort companies would want to buy it.

lcml11

Reaction score
I admit I don't know Shawnee that well, but I thought North Slope was the only Shawnee development that is walking distance to the ski area (at least some of the units)? I could be wrong about this, but North Slope has always been the hardest of the Shawnee properties for II exchange in the winter. Does anyone know?

If true - I'm surprised none of the major resort companies would want to buy it.

http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=NOT&parentResortCode=NOT#.Urn-D7S_Ius

Went to the II site and looked it up. It is showing Better Homes and Gardens Wilkins Real Estate as the contact point. When I talked to them the other day, they indicated they are not renting their at this point.

I am not a member of II so maybe someone who is could call them for a better update on this point.

Just called II, they are showing no current affiliations with Northslope.

Last edited:

twinmommy19

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to the II site and looked it up. It is showing Better Homes and Gardens Wilkins Real Estate as the contact point. When I talked to them the other day, they indicated they are not renting their at this point.

I am not a member of II so maybe someone who is could call them for a better update on this point.

Just called II, they are showing no current affiliations with Northslope.

Interesting - I'm not sure about this year. I am pregnant with twins scheduled to arrive in April and therefore skiing is completely out for us this season so I haven't been following availability. In past winters, North Slope has had the least availability of the Shawnee properties (less even than the Summit property that used to be Gold rated). I always figured this was because of proximity to the slopes. In the winter, that's by far the biggest commodity in the Poconos.