• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

September in Cancun

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not see any recent reports of weed problems on tripadvisor. People seem to be as happy as they have always been at Lagunamar. Pictures show the normal gorgeous beach. I will be there in few days and report back.

I have not been to Lagumar but when I went to Cancun in January, I chose a different resort because Lagumar’s beach was reported as being rough and often closed to swimming. I read many reviews and that swayed me against staying there.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you read the Wikipedia page about Hurricane Dean in Mexico? People were killed and it caused a lot of damage. People being scared for their lives matters a lot to me. How can you discount that? Why do you defend Cancun to no end even against the facts?
I did read it. Can you please point to the paragraph that shows any damage in |Cancun please? Quintana Roo is a big province with 900 km of coastal line and Mexico, you know, is a big country.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been to Lagumar but when I went to Cancun in January, I chose a different resort because Lagumar’s beach was reported as being rough and often closed to swimming. I read many reviews and that swayed me against staying there.
I do not see the connection. I know, and you do not like the kitchen tiles lol

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
But wait, there's more! The rain is one thing, but the winds and storms cause other issues. The staff at Lagunamar is telling us there is a huge sea weed problem since Michael passed by. No, they didn't get a direct hit by a hurricane, but they are suffering from the after affects. These storms churn up the water, which is never calm at Lagunamar to begin with.
this is a picture from the resort next door, Live Aqua, it was posted 2 days ago on Tripadvisor.
upload_2018-10-13_21-38-46.png

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I did read it. Can you please point to the paragraph that shows any damage in |Cancun please? Quintana Roo is a big province with 900 km of coastal line and Mexico, you know, is a big country.

The article says Cancun was spared the worst of the damage but that was luck. It was also not clear to me from the article how much damage it had in Cancun from Hurricane Dean. But the point is not that Cancun was spared or not spared. It is clearly in the hurricane belt like all of the Caribbean, Florida and the Gulf Coast. I am not even sure why this is a debate. I already said the probability of any one specific city having a hurricane is rare. But look at Houston - hit hard 2 years in a row. Or North Carolina, hit again right after Hurricane Florence. You just never know. Frankly, I do not understand why anyone would like to pretend that Cancun is not at risk of having weather issues during hurricane season. I love the ad campaign for Colombia. Instead of pretending their violent path did not happen, they confront it head on with the slogan “the only risk is you might not want to leave.”

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The article says Cancun was spared the worst of the damage but that was luck. It was also not clear to me from the article how much damage it had in Cancun from Hurricane Dean. But the point is not that Cancun was spared or not spared. It is clearly in the hurricane belt like all of the Caribbean, Florida and the Gulf Coast. I am not even sure why this is a debate. I already said the probability of any one specific city having a hurricane is rare. But look at Houston - hit hard 2 years in a row. Or North Carolina, hit again right after Hurricane Florence. You just never know. Frankly, I do not understand why anyone would like to pretend that Cancun is not at risk of having weather issues during hurricane season. I love the ad campaign for Colombia. Instead of pretending their violent path did not happen, they confront it head on with the slogan “the only risk is you might not want to leave.”
First of all i am not advocating that September is the best month to go to Cancun. Not at all. As a matter of fact, i have always been in the Caribbeans Nov-May and had a fabulous weather. Exceptionally we are going now at the end of October, although we are returning to our normal schedule, going there again next March.
The OP, if i understood correctly, was if one can have a decent vacation in September in Cancun. There are 2 separate issues: the normal kind of weather you can expect and the possibility of a hurricane.
In terms of normal weather, from what i have read before, and confirmed by few tuggers here, one can have a very nice vacation. It is hot, but you are by the pool and that should not be a big problem. It rains much more than other months but you still have enough time for the beach and other fun activities.
I am sure the matter of hurricanes could be assessed by the OP himself. There is barely a soul that does not know that September is hurricane season in the area.
My view is that, everything else being equal, you should prefer other times of the year. Yet, i do not see it as a huge risk as a tourist in the hotel zone either.
1) travel insurance covers hurricanes and i would just cancel the trip if i know few days before the trip that there is a danger.
2) i agree that you may just be caught in the area and be stuck in the hotel. Not very funny. Yet, if i had to be anywhere during a storm i would rather be at Lagunamar than in a detached house in Florida or many other places. The resort seems to be extremely well built and i do not see the storm inflicting a lot of damage to an 8 story thick concrete structure.
In this context it is relevant that there have only been 2 major storms in Cancun since 1988.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
But wait, there's more! The rain is one thing, but the winds and storms cause other issues. The staff at Lagunamar is telling us there is a huge sea weed problem since Michael passed by. No, they didn't get a direct hit by a hurricane, but they are suffering from the after affects. These storms churn up the water, which is never calm at Lagunamar to begin with.
this comment was posted Yesterday on tripadvisor:

Angela H
Reviewed yesterday via mobile
Excellent resort!
My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Westin Lagunamar. We had an ocean view room with one double bed. The room itself was immaculately clean and well designed. The kitchenette was perfect for keeping food and making simple meals. I LOVED the stackable laundry provided in our room. It was such a luxury to return home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. The beach is GORGEOUS. We Walked a mile or so in either direction everyday and really enjoyed all there was to see. The restaurants were great. We did the Mexican night and Mayan night- I am a bit of a food snob and initially was not excited about the idea of a buffet but after experiencing their buffets I have changed my mind! all the food was delicious.

The spa- INCREDIBLE. I had an 80 min “athletic” massage (that was their recommendation for deep tissue). I had Armando as a therapist and it was by the beach. BEST MASSAGE OF MY LIFE. The amenities at the spa were also very nice and something I had never experienced before was I had my own personal guide, Gaby, leading me through each of the different experiences (Steam room, sauna, hot tub and relax station area). I felt like a princess!

We also were able to see the sea turtles hatching which was such a cool thing to witness.

We loved every minute of our stay and plan on returning again for spring break!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
There is no wrong here. Yes it is hurricane season so definitely get travel insurance and yes there are great bargains in Aug/Sept/Oct . I have always had an amazing stay at Lagunamar. We have been in the spring, summer and fall. I don't like rough water but have always been able to get in the ocean here where the yellow flags and the lifeguards are. There are sections that can be dangerous but the lifeguards are good at blowing their whistle and letting you know where to avoid ( there are areas with bad undertow)and of course the red flags help to alert you. We are huge Lagunamar fans!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it isn't Cancun, but in Puerto Vallarta, the locals call September, SeptHambre. Hambre is 'hungry' in Spanish. It's HOT, HUMID, RAINY and darn few tourists.

Jim

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR

You do understand that the reason Lagunamar is in existence is because of a hurricane? The property was built after a hurricane cane through and basically wiped out the hotel zone that has now rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do understand that the reason Lagunamar is in existence is because of a hurricane? The property was built after a hurricane cane through and basically wiped out the hotel zone that has now rebuilt.

the quote was referring to the damage hurricane Dane might have done to Cancun, not much if at all as far as i can find on the internet.
I did not know the history of the hotel zone but it makes sense that everything built after that was designed to withstand such an event. It seems that in 2013 the resort added even more safety features.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11220240.htm

New Hurricane Protection for The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, has set a new standard of safety for its members and guests by providing the strongest hurricane protection system available at its beachfront property.

gI_134204_HURRICANE%20SOLUTION%20LONA%20ANTICICLONICA%20RIVIERA%20MAYA.JPG

Hurricane Solution

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, RIVIERA MAYA, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (PRWEB) OCTOBER 11, 2013

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, a luxury villa resort in the Starwood Vacation Network™ program, has again set a new standard of safety for its Members and guests by providing the strongest hurricane protection system available at its beachfront property.

Hurricane Solution, the only authorized installer of the system in Mexico, recently completed the installation of the unique fabric (known in Spanish as “Lona Anticiclónica”) in areas throughout the resort that were deemed as potentially vulnerable. This offers extra peace of mind to travelers staying at the AAA Four Diamond-rated resort during hurricane season.

While hurricanes are not a frequent occurrence in Cancun, the Resort wanted to take the steps necessary to reduce risks associated with the high-powered storms. The addition of the strongest system on the planet is just another way that The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa continues to provide excellent care and service to its valuable Members and guests.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Hurricane Wilma is what tore through Cancun. I’m fairly certain that is the one that resulted in the creation of Westin Lagunamar.

Unless there was another big one after Wilma.

There is a risk traveling during August-October. I also would not travel during the first half of June as most report heavy rainfall then as well.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just FYI. We were there in 2017 first couple of weeks in June for 14 days. The weather was gorgeous for the most part. We had a few days on the tail end of that trip that did rain most of the day. But, it may have been only 2 or 3 days. We swam in the pools while it poured. It was still an awesome vacation. I mean we were wet anyway and it wasn't thundering or lightening.

I would have zero issues booking Lagunamar during the beginning of June (the crowd levels were way down) and it was absolutely gorgeous.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are worried about rain, then I would never go to the Caribbean or Hawaii or Tahiti or Asia or Florida...where have I left out?

But you are free to join me in Northern California most of the year. We have a drought. We need rain.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
But you are free to join me in Northern California most of the year. We have a drought. We need rain.
I know the feeling. We got some, one day last week, but that was the first in 107 days.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We are here now. The front desk told us there was a seaweed problem because of Michael, but there is none here now. The large pool is scheduled to open Monday the 22nd, but all they are doing now is trying to get rid of the rain from last nights thunderstorm. I was hoping they were starting to refill the pool, but no.