TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Westin Nanea - advice?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Zurikins, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Zurikins

Zurikins TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Nanea
    Hi everyone I purchased into Westin Nanea last year (2BR, Annual) and am going to sell it as my lifestyle just does not jive with the timeshare idea. AND the annual fee is astronomical by my pocketbook, too much for me.

1. I'd like to know your opinions on what I might list for. Of course I'm prepared to lose money on it, but would like to extract whatever I can reasonably expect.

2. I've already watched the video on this site about scams and already talked to one of the "listing" companies - with whom by the way, I ALMOST forked over $1800 to have "advertising" - with no real other commitments from them. Really there aren't that many online companies out there. Do I have any other options?

2. Is it better to use a real estate agent or "broker" as they call them?

3. Any websites that you think are more valid opportunities for listing?

Thank you in advance!

2. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Uh oh.......

3. duke

duke TUG Member

Use Redweek.com

4. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Contact Tugger @Syed for his advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

In a nut shell - you will be lucky to sell it for 20% of what you paid. If it's not paid off - it's not sellable.

To get an honest opinion of the value - I would contact this Tugger who is a timeshare broker on Maui:

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 2.06.33 PM.png

RNCollins likes this.
  6. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, Aulani, Worldmark
    I'm so sorry, I think it's going to be sobering to see what these are selling for on the resale market. My Maui Ocean Club units are selling for about 33% of what the developer price was -- I paid full boat for one, and then resale purchased the others -- most recently for 35% of original purchase price.

If you can find a way to keep it/use it/enjoy it, that is best. I hope it works out for you...

Best,

Greg

7. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin FLEX
    I'm going to second @GregT and his advice on using it and enjoying it. Are you sure you are unable to utilize your purchase for what your initial desires were? TUG is the place to learn, by either reading or asking, how to effectively use what you've purchased.

8. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    pending Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Ditto x 3.

You probably don't realize it yet.....but what you bought doesn't all transfer when you sell.
    Therefore, it's going to be an uphill battle. A bloody uphill battle to sell.

It's a great resort. It will probably rent well.....consider your options carefully.

9. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

You will probably do better renting it out to cover your MF + profit on Redweek or TUG, instead of taking an instant and substantial loss on selling it. That's what I would do.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    dioxide45 likes this.
  10. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    If you rent it every other year it will pay for your vacation the alternate year.

11. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    That is a huge purchase price for something that doesn't jive with your lifestyle. What an impulsive purchase, and you definitely need to avoid timeshare presentations altogether, because apparently "no" is a tough word for you. :) I know a couple who bought three timeshares from the developer, 3 times they bought, and basically gave all three away, wasting every dime they spent on those weeks. Then they called me from Mexico and told me about this great deal they found and asked if they should go for it. I told them, "Do not do that." The voice of reason has to kick in eventually.

We love timeshare, and I think you need to do as others recommended and rent it those years you don't use it. Who doesn't have a week for a vacation? You bought it to use it, and you should definitely use it. An 80% loss of money wouldn't be wise, unless you are really, really rich.

12. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    Like others, we bought directly from the developer early on and learned to maximize the value we received. I agree with others, talk with Syed and get his input. If you are up to renting it when you don’t want to use it, you can do it on redweek.com and likely make a profit over the maintenance fees. Selling it now is definitely a losing proposition.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Tuggers have a lot of great insights and you can learn how to make your purchase work for you if you are willing to learn how to maximize your ownership.

Best regards.

Mike