• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling unused points

seigl13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
Have had a timeshare for 6 years now and so far have only used it one time. After reading all of the information on here, I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying it. My husband and I have decided we need to try to use it and have booked two trips. I have 27,400 points that need to be used by Oct 31, and that's after booking a trip the end of September. Don't want them to go to waste, where do I post them on here, and what's the going rate? Thanks.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It so depends on the Resort Organization, where located, maintenance fees, etc, etc. Many timeshare owners give them away and even pay all transfer costs. Some even pay a year of maintenance fees. How many Points yearly you have. How many Points does it take to get a 1 bedroom condo or 2 bedroom condo in what season. Avoid any company that wants money up front to sell for you.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I don't think they are asking about selling or giving away there account. They are wanting to do something with left over points this year like bank them, give/sell them, or exchange them.

Seigl13 - We will need to know what timeshare organization your points from. Points are like currency and all have different values and uses.

Based on the quantity, I would tend to think you have a Wyndham or RCI points account. So I will speak to those.

Wyndham - You can't give them to anyone, they will not allow owner to owner exchanges. You could look for a week end get away at some place you could drive to. Or you can transfer them to RCI before they expire and then will have 2 years to use them in RCI, 27,400 is not much based on Wyndham's exchange grid, but you can combine points with them in future years to make use of them. Wyndham doesn't charge a fee to transfer to RCI, but will take a reservation transaction or bill you for one if you are out.

If they are RCI points - They will show an expiration date in your account, these you can give to another person and if you have platinum account there is no fee to transfer them. If they are going to expire you can extend them also for a fee. 27,400 RCI points is worth probably close to $274+ So if you would use them later the extension fee is worth it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Have had a timeshare for 6 years now and so far have only used it one time. After reading all of the information on here, I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying it. My husband and I have decided we need to try to use it and have booked two trips. I have 27,400 points that need to be used by Oct 31, and that's after booking a trip the end of September. Don't want them to go to waste, where do I post them on here, and what's the going rate? Thanks.

Seigl13 - Don't kick yourself too hard / We bought in 2006 started using in 2010 ( when I decided paying yearly MF and then being " too busy" (see workaholic) to plan ahead and use
was a waste .

After a few vacations with more space (than a hotel room) your opinion of your purchase may change .
The value of great ,relaxing vacation time with your spouse is priceless .

seigl13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
I don't think they are asking about selling or giving away there account. They are wanting to do something with left over points this year like bank them, give/sell them, or exchange them.

Seigl13 - We will need to know what timeshare organization your points from. Points are like currency and all have different values and uses.

Based on the quantity, I would tend to think you have a Wyndham or RCI points account. So I will speak to those.

Wyndham - You can't give them to anyone, they will not allow owner to owner exchanges. You could look for a week end get away at some place you could drive to. Or you can transfer them to RCI before they expire and then will have 2 years to use them in RCI, 27,400 is not much based on Wyndham's exchange grid, but you can combine points with them in future years to make use of them. Wyndham doesn't charge a fee to transfer to RCI, but will take a reservation transaction or bill you for one if you are out.

If they are RCI points - They will show an expiration date in your account, these you can give to another person and if you have platinum account there is no fee to transfer them. If they are going to expire you can extend them also for a fee. 27,400 RCI points is worth probably close to $274+ So if you would use them later the extension fee is worth it.

They are RCI points and they were already extended, so they can't be extended again. I'd like to be able to sell them if at all possible. Where should I list them on here?

seigl13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
Seigl13 - Don't kick yourself too hard / We bought in 2006 started using in 2010 ( when I decided paying yearly MF and then being " too busy" (see workaholic) to plan ahead and use
was a waste .

After a few vacations with more space (than a hotel room) your opinion of your purchase may change .
The value of great ,relaxing vacation time with your spouse is priceless .
Part of the reason we haven't used it is because we've been going on cruises and the points are pretty much useless for cruising. We were working a lot too, so we didn't have time to cruise and do something with our timeshare points. We are now semi-retired and have more time, so we booked a trip next month and one in January. After we get back from those, maybe I'll feel better about it.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
May not be best value but you can use on rental cars.

Legally you can't sell them by your RCI agreement, but if you look in bargain bin or eBay you see people doing it. If you do it ever so often I don't think anyone is going to say anything.