• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling Marriott Aruba Surf Club Timeshare - have questions

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
I'm a complete rookie and have been reading as much as I can on this website. I "own" a week at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club, gold season 2 bedroom with garden view. Since we moved to Montana it has been increasingly difficult to use this property, and with annual maintanance fees of $1800+ at this point we think it's best to sell.

Question 1 > has anyone successfully sold their unit at this property?
Question 2 > did you use a broker, if so can you refer me to one?
Question 3 > any rough idea of the fees to do so?

I sent an email to the MVCI Resale Operations Group and they indicated that if I sell, they would have the first right of refusal......OK, go it......but they also stated the following:

As an alternative to continuing to pay maintenance fees year after year, we’d like to make you aware of the opportunity to relinquish or deed back your ownership. While this option will not result in any financial proceeds to you, it would be a guaranteed, quick way to exit the program and eliminate your ongoing annual maintenance fee commitment from 2019. The transfer of your ownership would commence in as soon as 120-150 days of your acceptance.

The first year occupancy to MVC would be 2019 and you will be responsible to pay the annual fees for 2018 one last time. You will also get the annual use of the timeshare one last time in 2018. Any outstanding maintenance fees, taxes or loans will need to be paid prior to ownership transfer.

The offer to deed back your ownership is valid for the next 7 business days and is subject to change at any time with or without notice.

A quick search seems like I should price this at $3000-$4000 (or am I way off?). If I can recoup some of the cost of "buying" this timeshare, that would be great. Or I can take their offer and walk away if I'm understanding.

On a side note > I did get a quote from Lonestar Transfer and they will "release me" from my timeshare for $3000, as in I pay THEM to absolve myself of any further obligations I have with my timeshare. Not sure how this makes any sense? What am I missing?

Thanks all who might be able to answer and support my cause!

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I'm a complete rookie and have been reading as much as I can on this website. I "own" a week at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club, gold season 2 bedroom with garden view. Since we moved to Montana it has been increasingly difficult to use this property, and with annual maintanance fees of $1800+ at this point we think it's best to sell.

I sent an email to the MVCI Resale Operations Group and they indicated that if I sell, they would have the first right of refusal......OK, go it......but they also stated the following:

As an alternative to continuing to pay maintenance fees year after year, we’d like to make you aware of the opportunity to relinquish or deed back your ownership. While this option will not result in any financial proceeds to you, it would be a guaranteed, quick way to exit the program and eliminate your ongoing annual maintenance fee commitment from 2019. The transfer of your ownership would commence in as soon as 120-150 days of your acceptance.

The first year occupancy to MVC would be 2019 and you will be responsible to pay the annual fees for 2018 one last time. You will also get the annual use of the timeshare one last time in 2018. Any outstanding maintenance fees, taxes or loans will need to be paid prior to ownership transfer.

The offer to deed back your ownership is valid for the next 7 business days and is subject to change at any time with or without notice.

A quick search seems like I should price this at $3000-$4000 (or am I way off?). If I can recoup some of the cost of "buying" this timeshare, that would be great. Or I can take their offer and walk away if I'm understanding.

On a side note > I did get a quote from Lonestar Transfer and they will "release me" from my timeshare for $3000, as in I pay THEM to absolve myself of any further obligations I have with my timeshare. Not sure how this makes any sense? What am I missing?

RUN from Lonestar Transfer, that is a rip off . They will take your money and you could still end up owning the week! I cannot comment on the 3-4k valve of your week but if the market is loaded with them that is an indication they are not moving. If you want to get rid of it now and be totally assured of being free of it Marriott is the safest/quickest way to go.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score

Why would you even consider paying anyone or any company $3,000.00 for what Marriott will do for free?
I would go with Marriott because it may very well cost you more to sit and wait for a sale to occur than what you will sell for

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd check sold ebay listings for a more realistic value check. If it (as I suspect) is a bit lower than you currently think, consider throwing it up in the board here as a giveaway. I think you're allowed to ask for reimbursement of (this year's) maintenance fees, as long as you allow the new owner the associated use. You're also allowed to ask the new owner to pay the transfer and closing fees, which makes the total kind of close to what you thought you might get for it.

Unfortunately, that's exactly the limit folks like myself are (maybe!) willing to pay for pretty much any timeshare =/ I hope you find that yours is worth more than that.

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
Why would you even consider paying anyone or any company $3,000.00 for what Marriott will do for free?
I would go with Marriott because it may very well cost you more to sit and wait for a sale to occur than what you will sell for

I inquired with Lonestar last year at this time and they’ve hounded me since. The Marriott offer seemingly didn’t exist last year, but seemingly is on the table now.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Don’t give it back to Marriott, you can easily sell it for $2500-3000; $2000 for a quick sale. There are tons of people on Facebook looking to buy in the surf club group. Also if you want to give it away it would be snatched up by another user in a hot second because even though maint fees are high, it is a very desirable resort. If you want to give it away- please let me know.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get $2500 - $3000 on Redweek fairly easily.

We bought one on there a few years ago for $4000, but they have come down even further since then.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, Aruba is very desirable. If you're willing to give it Marriott for free, I'm sure there are people that will gladly receive the timeshare for free with them paying the costs to transfer. If I were you, I would rather do the latter and contribute to someone else's enjoyment rather than Marriott's pockets.

For the sale, I used LT Transfers solely to hold escrow (they charge a fee for it) and did the closing myself since it is so easy. But a broker will charge you at least $1,500 commission. If you want to sell a garden view gold quick, you'll probably have to price it at $1,500 + closing costs paid by the buyer; so if you use a broker you're back to zero proceeds

Fees are approx. $120 Marriott fees + closing costs of about $250-400 depending on which closing company you use

Very easy to transfer. I have the forms if you need it and can walk you through the process. Just find your original Aruba certificate because you will need to send that back to Marriott for the transfer and if you can't find it you can request another one but it takes a few weeks to arrive.

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
Thanks all! Can someone explain the process of selling to me? If I register and pay the $18.99 to register on Redweek.com, post an ad, and then what? Do I need to bring a title company to the table, or the buyer? Is an escrow service a good idea? What do I need to have ready in order to make the process as smooth as possible, and of course any recommendations or referrals would be very helpful? Just as a reference, MVCI sent me their ROFR form (attached).

I can't tell you all how grateful I am for your guidance.

Dan

Attachments

• ROFR Request Form English.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 78

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
Yes, Aruba is very desirable. If you're willing to give it Marriott for free, I'm sure there are people that will gladly receive the timeshare for free with them paying the costs to transfer. If I were you, I would rather do the latter and contribute to someone else's enjoyment rather than Marriott's pockets.

For the sale, I used LT Transfers solely to hold escrow (they charge a fee for it) and did the closing myself since it is so easy. But a broker will charge you at least $1,500 commission. If you want to sell a garden view gold quick, you'll probably have to price it at $1,500 + closing costs paid by the buyer; so if you use a broker you're back to zero proceeds

Fees are approx. $120 Marriott fees + closing costs of about $250-400 depending on which closing company you use

Very easy to transfer. I have the forms if you need it and can walk you through the process. Just find your original Aruba certificate because you will need to send that back to Marriott for the transfer and if you can't find it you can request another one but it takes a few weeks to arrive.

Looks like you posted while I was drafting this. I'll have to investigate LT Transfers. Can I send you a PM with my contact info, or what's the best way for me to beg you for help :)

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like you posted while I was drafting this. I'll have to investigate LT Transfers. Can I send you a PM with my contact info, or what's the best way for me to beg you for help :)

Happy to help, PM me your contact info

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
I hope I was successful in my attempt to send your a PM. If you don't see something, please let me know.

....actually it looks like I replied to a "conversation" that you started. Perhaps that's different than a PM. In any case my email is dwh at latmt. c0m

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I was successful in my attempt to send your a PM. If you don't see something, please let me know.

....actually it looks like I replied to a "conversation" that you started. Perhaps that's different than a PM. In any case my email is dwh at latmt. c0m

Received, sent you my info as well.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Thanks all! Can someone explain the process of selling to me? If I register and pay the $18.99 to register on Redweek.com, post an ad, and then what? Do I need to bring a title company to the table, or the buyer? Is an escrow service a good idea? What do I need to have ready in order to make the process as smooth as possible, and of course any recommendations or referrals would be very helpful? Just as a reference, MVCI sent me their ROFR form (attached).

I can't tell you all how grateful I am for your guidance.

Dan
Use Redweek full service and it’s all covered. The owner is a member here and you can chat with him.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I agree with Mosescan. Pay someone to do it for you. It is not worth the hassle. I had bad experience with an individual owner so I will never consider buying from an owner again. And he was giving his timeshare away for $1. It was not worth a penny given the hassles he gave me. I backed out after a few days and then he threatened to sue me. This was someone on TUG. While TUG is a great information resource, I never look at TUG’s classified listings due to my bad experience. Stick with Redweek. I have had great experiences with Redweek and most of the agents who list there. Some Redweek agents are pretty good too.

Dan Hourigan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Surf Club
Hello again. Ironically enough, a gal named Jennifer Ralston contacted me about whether or not I was still interested in selling my Aruba Surf Club week. She is with a business called "Timeshare Broker Services", phone 877.884.9577 x2817. I asked her where she found information indicating that I was interested in selling and she said, "You inquired a while back on SMTN to list but didn’t proceed. I have an interested buyer if you are still interested in selling." This is true, and was really early on in my journey to figure out how to sell my timeshare.

So, anywho, the contract seems legit and the net proceeds to me would be $2200 (see pic). They use a place called Timeshare Closing Services. Has anyone heard of either of these businesses, or better yet dealt with them first hand. Run away or roll the dice?

Attachments

• ScreenShot005.jpg
    ScreenShot005.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 145

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Use Redweek full service and it’s all covered. The owner is a member here and you can chat with him.

I inquired about a week for sale handled by Redweek full service and they quoted $499 for closing to be paid by the buyer, in addition to whatever they charge the seller. That is steep!

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Hello again. Ironically enough, a gal named Jennifer Ralston contacted me about whether or not I was still interested in selling my Aruba Surf Club week. She is with a business called "Timeshare Broker Services", phone 877.884.9577 x2817. I asked her where she found information indicating that I was interested in selling and she said, "You inquired a while back on SMTN to list but didn’t proceed. I have an interested buyer if you are still interested in selling." This is true, and was really early on in my journey to figure out how to sell my timeshare.

So, anywho, the contract seems legit and the net proceeds to me would be $2200 (see pic). They use a place called Timeshare Closing Services. Has anyone heard of either of these businesses, or better yet dealt with them first hand. Run away or roll the dice?

Dan I just bought (actually still in process) EOY at Surf. The seller used Timeshare Closing Services. They have been extremely professional even though the process itself is taking forever!!! We started the process January, passed ROFR on Feb 8th and I still don’t have certificate of ownership. I wish I could buy your week too! I love Aruba. I’m also going to send you a message about selling/closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi Dan, I sent you a private message. Please respond.

drodavis

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, please walk me through the process.
I am interested in selling two Surf weeks.
Both are 2bedroom/2bath platinum (garden view) weeks.
I have my certificates.
Thank you,
Orrin Davis
drodavis1@aol.com

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I have my certificates.
Thank you,
Orrin Davis
drodavis1@aol.com

Please send me a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
To buy or sell, I would call Seth Nock or Sam Rodriquez ...they are both experienced, honest,
and they are reasonable in their pricing and wonderful to deal with.
They have a long history in this business, and are among the few good guys who can be trusted.

I found this just by googling Seth Nock....
http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/selling-timeshares/about-us/

I purchased two Marriott resales from them, and they were the best experiences I've had.
They usually carry multiple Marriotts in their inventory, so they are well familiar with the process.
I first ran across their names almost 20 years ago through TUG members who used and recommended them,
so they have remained in business because of their stellar reputations.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I have my certificates.
Thank you,
Orrin Davis
drodavis1@aol.com
For Plat. weeks I'd rec. contacting Marriott resales first and see if they're buying any back.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
For the money OP is talking about, I would avoid all the hassle and give it back to Marriott. Simplest, quickest, free (with no ROFR or other fees), and the transfer is guaranteed. Nothing can fall through. Selling through a broker will incur a commission, reducing the already meager expected proceeds.