• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Molokai Trip of 2019

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We did that water fall hike too: It's fabulous, but there were tons of mosquitos, and they didn't seem to be bothered much by mosquito repellant.

View attachment 11782 View attachment 11783

I had heard about the mosquitos but not about the repellent not being affective. It does make sense since there is a lot of water around.

Over all we have found Molokai the same as all the other islands as far as mosquitoes are concerned. We don’t have any issues at all unless we hike into a wet over grown with vegetation place.

Nice pictures Denise, I hope to hike in there sometime.

Reactions: Xan

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the waterfall with Eddie Tanaka a few years ago. He was our guide. It was a wonderful and easy (for us that are fully mobile) hike. The waterfall was beautiful and very cold. Eddie plays at WKORV-N a couple of nights a week. I've also seen him at Duke's.

The channel crossing in February was a little more challenging, in another local's small boat. That whole trip to Molokai was an adventure.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We went to the waterfall with Eddie Tanaka a few years ago. He was our guide. It was a wonderful and easy (for us that are fully mobile) hike. The waterfall was beautiful and very cold. Eddie plays at WKORV-N a couple of nights a week. I've also seen him at Duke's.

The channel crossing in February was a little more challenging, in another local's small boat. That whole trip to Molokai was an adventure.

Yes, those winter waves are not to be taken lightly.

taffy19

Reaction score
Here’s a couple more pictures we snapped along the way. I have another couple short videos my wife took with my phone that I will put on so you can see some of the road. The last picture is of Maui in the distance.

View attachment 11767 View attachment 11768 View attachment 11769 View attachment 11770
These photos make it clear that we drove further than you have done so far in this picture. I remember stopping at the same spot where you did in front of the bob wire and the tiny island.

The first picture shows a bend and we went further around the bend and that is where we clearly saw the Marriott and Hyatt Regency towers and even Lahaina too. There were a few narrow beaches along the road but no room to park a car but he stopped a minute or so to have a good look.

I kept asking my husband to turn around at the first chance he had because we were not going to hike the trail and I didn't want to meet an oncoming car on such a narrow and winding road.

I wished I had taken a few pictures or movie clips myself because I wasn't driving but had too many problems with my iPhone. I can always look at yours to remember what we saw. :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m doing some uploading now so I will be posting a few videos tonight.

We went to Molokai Pizza for dinner tonight. We had to stop into town to grab some things at the grocery store anyway.

44326D33-DCE3-44E4-9F0B-754D8FB3A9A0.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a video of a walk from the parking lot to the Kalaupapa Lookout. Surprisingly it wasn’t windy out there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did a short stop at Murphy’s Beach on the east side. This beach is also called Mile Marker 20 Beach. There is a nice protected area for snorkeling.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a video of Halawa Bay when I reached the parking lot at the end of the road. The last mile marker I saw was 27 but the parking lot may be around 28.
It is a gorgeous Bay.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s the last one I have for now. It a short video of a beach around mile marker 23 on the east side of Molokai. I’ll have to look up a name for this beach.

taffy19

Reaction score
I know that this is the end of the paved road and the hike starts here.

We turned around at marker 20. The beaches are sandy here too but the waves are not as high because of the reef.

The ocean water looks so clear in your movies. The temperature was nice in Maui so it should be the same here, I guess. Have you tried or mainly use the pool so far?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know that this is the end of the paved road and the hike starts here.

We turned around at marker 20. The beaches are sandy here too but the waves are not as high because of the reef.

The ocean water looks so clear in your movies. The temperature was nice in Maui so it should be the same here, I guess. Have you tried or mainly use the pool so far?

We haven’t snorkeled but we have been in the water. Yes the water was great. It’s been sunny and the water nice and warm.

I took a walk to the ocean last night and it was neat to see Maui all light up and when you looked across the channel Lanai was all dark. I tried to take a picture but my phone camera didn’t pick it up. I may try my camcorder later.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like how empty the beaches are. :)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife made some Molokai Sweet Potatoes. I didn’t know what to expect because I’m not a huge sweet potato fan. To me these were a nice mix between a sweet potato and a russet potato.

5576ED9A-B686-46E2-9451-ED225D74CFBC.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Took my wife to Maka’s Corner for the first time. I don’t know why it she was reluctant to try it.

Taffy19, I saw the counter you were talking about. I didn’t remember that my first couple of times there. :thumbup:

Anyway, my wife loved it. She had Shrimp Tempura and I had the Korean Chicken. She even got a bowl of Shumai
Saimin to go. There Saimin is excellent and this one has Shrimp dumplings.

41B703AF-DE4F-4FF3-9312-3F2E3051B641.jpeg

9F8248D4-C8E7-434C-AE8A-97D25A952F2E.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we got home, we were relaxing on the lanai when it started to mist out and we got an instant rainbow. :cool:

F293EABF-CA4A-4C34-B0FA-C024553BE142.jpeg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Nice.

Slip...how much are the costs of these meals? Are food prices high in Molokai?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice.

Slip...how much are the costs of these meals? Are food prices high in Molokai?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar to the other islands. The Tempura Shrimp plate was $12.50 and the Korean Chicken was $11.50. Most of the prices at the smaller places are about the same. Paddlers Inn and Hiro’s are more expensive. They are more like regular restaurants. Pupu’s around $8 to $12 and entrees $15 to Market Price. MP for catch of the day fish has been about $25.

Molokai Pizza has a lot of variety on the menu and plates and dinners are $10 to $18. Pizza prices are typical to non-chain places. $12 to $30 for the biggest pizza. This is dine in or carry out.

Molokai Burger has variety also. Burgers are $5 to $10. Again dine in or carry out.

Molokai Burger and Pizza both have A/C and are indoor. Hiro’s and Paddlers Inn are both open air.

taffy19

Reaction score
My wife made some Molokai Sweet Potatoes. I didn’t know what to expect because I’m not a huge sweet potato fan. To me these were a nice mix between a sweet potato and a russet potato.

View attachment 11816
They were recommended to us on Maui where there were several choices of sweet potatoes at the Foodland Grocery Store.

The produce man was putting them out and they looked different from what we are used to at home so we asked him what to expect. He said that they were really sweet and not so dry.

I am not a sweet tooth like my husband is but we decided to buy them anyway and we both liked the taste with a little bit of sea salt from Hawaii.

We always bring our own Celtic sea salt with us because it tastes so good but Hawaii harvests their own sea salt too!
We haven’t snorkeled but we have been in the water. Yes the water was great. It’s been sunny and the water nice and warm.

I took a walk to the ocean last night and it was neat to see Maui all light up and when you looked across the channel Lanai was all dark. I tried to take a picture but my phone camera didn’t pick it up. I may try my camcorder later.
I hope that your camcorder will capture the individual lights of Maui. I know that you will show them to us and it is really appreciated by several of us who have followed your thread and others too.

taffy19

Reaction score
Took my wife to Maka’s Corner for the first time. I don’t know why it she was reluctant to try it.

Taffy19, I saw the counter you were talking about. I didn’t remember that my first couple of times there. :thumbup:

Anyway, my wife loved it. She had Shrimp Tempura and I had the Korean Chicken. She even got a bowl of Shumai
Saimin to go. There Saimin is excellent and this one has Shrimp dumplings.

View attachment 11822

View attachment 11823
I am glad that you liked the food too and service was friendly.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They were recommended to us on Maui where there were several choices of sweet potatoes at the Foodland Grocery Store.

The produce man was putting them out and they looked different from what we are used to at home so we asked him what to expect. He said that they were really sweet and not so dry.

I am not a sweet tooth like my husband is but we decided to buy them anyway and we both liked the taste with a little bit of sea salt from Hawaii.

We always bring our own Celtic sea salt with us because it tastes so good but Hawaii harvests their own sea salt too!

I hope that your camcorder will capture the individual lights of Maui. I know that you will show them to us and it is really appreciated by several of us who have followed your thread and others too.

It’s been a little misty this evening with clouds rolling by. A few times I couldn’t see Maui. So I might not be able to get it tonight but I’ll check it out.

Maka’s has turned into one of my favorites. Everything I have ever had there has been good.

We stopped into All Things Molokai today. He moved to across from Mitsaki’s Grocery. He has shirts and is going to have Shave Ice and Açaí Bowls. If your ever on Molokai stop in, really nice people and he has a good selection of shirts. We have become friends with he and his wife pretty quick. We stopped in a few times on this trip already.

We even met another owner at WaveCrest at his store. They are retired and is living there full time. They are from Minnesota and are on the first floor of the C building.

taffy19

Reaction score
Similar to the other islands. The Tempura Shrimp plate was $12.50 and the Korean Chicken was $11.50. Most of the prices at the smaller places are about the same. Paddlers Inn and Hiro’s are more expensive. They are more like regular restaurants. Pupu’s around $8 to $12 and entrees $15 to Market Price. MP for catch of the day fish has been about $25.

Molokai Pizza has a lot of variety on the menu and plates and dinners are $10 to $18. Pizza prices are typical to non-chain places. $12 to $30 for the biggest pizza. This is dine in or carry out.

Molokai Burger has variety also. Burgers are $5 to $10. Again dine in or carry out.

Molokai Burger and Pizza both have A/C and are indoor. Hiro’s and Paddlers Inn are both open air.
I am almost sure that we paid $17.50 per plate for the fresh catch of the day (there was a sign on the counter). We had to check first if we still had enough money with us and we did for the food and tip.

Thank goodness a bank was very close by to get some more cash to have enough for the additional days.

The fresh fish was the best we had on the three Islands this year because we didn’t go to Mama’s Fish House in Maui. Their catch is also very fresh but their prices are a lot higher but it is a beautiful spot and with excellent service.
It’s been a little misty this evening with clouds rolling by. A few times I couldn’t see Maui. So I might not be able to get it tonight but I’ll check it out.

Maka’s has turned into one of my favorites. Everything I have ever had there has been good.

We stopped into All Things Molokai today. He moved to across from Mitsaki’s Grocery. He has shirts and is going to have Shave Ice and Açaí Bowls. If your ever on Molokai stop in, really nice people and he has a good selection of shirts. We have become friends with he and his wife pretty quick. We stopped in a few times on this trip already.

We even met another owner at WaveCrest at his store. They are retired and is living there full time. They are from Minnesota and are on the first floor of the C building.
I was afraid that you couldn’t use the camcorder tonight but you still have a few days left so there is a chance to get another clear night.