• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Molokai Trip of 2019

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Warmest day so far but you can’t tell with the glorious trade winds. Yes, I’m laying on the lounger. :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well, went down by the Cabana and the ocean to get some sun this morning and fell asleep.

When I woke up I noticed someone mistook me for a Hawaiian Monk Seal and put the protective ropes around me. :D

I haven’t gotten this much sun since I was a kid. I’m definitely going home with a major tan and I still have a week to go. :cool:

My wife enjoyed the day doing her diamond painting on the lanai and I was down by the cabana most of the day.

It’s early evening now and I walked around the resort a few times for some exercise. I even did a few laps in the pool too. Gorgeous day all the way! I snapped a few pictures while on my walk.

Here’s one of high tide.

7ED3ECAF-214C-42AD-BA76-AC822F15940A.jpeg

This one is just behind the A building with Maui in the background.

5E170DDC-AD86-4253-8C77-9FC39C9CD2EF.jpeg

This one is of the sea cliffs from behind the B building.

CC054114-DF53-4E1A-8008-2982CD158565.jpeg

Tomorrow morning is the street sale in Kaunakakai town. Then I’m going to take my wife to the Kalaupapa lookout and Phallic Rock. Then it’s her birthday dinner at Hiro’s. Followed by a Hot Bread run. Busy day planned. :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I finally made time in my busy schedule to upload a couple of videos. This one is just in front of the cabana by the ocean. It was at low tide and I was testing my wireless mic when I saw some crabs. So I made it a mission to get at least one of them in the video.

Reactions: Xan

taffy19

Reaction score
Well, went down by the Cabana and the ocean to get some sun this morning and fell asleep.

When I woke up I noticed someone mistook me for a Hawaiian Monk Seal and put the protective ropes around me. :D

I haven’t gotten this much sun since I was a kid. I’m definitely going home with a major tan and I still have a week to go. :cool:

My wife enjoyed the day doing her diamond painting on the lanai and I was down by the cabana most of the day.

It’s early evening now and I walked around the resort a few times for some exercise. I even did a few laps in the pool too. Gorgeous day all the way! I snapped a few pictures while on my walk.

Here’s one of high tide.

View attachment 11720

This one is just behind the A building with Maui in the background.

View attachment 11721

This one is of the sea cliffs from behind the B building.

View attachment 11722

Tomorrow morning is the street sale in Kaunakakai town. Then I’m going to take my wife to the Kalaupapa lookout and Phallic Rock. Then it’s her birthday dinner at Hiro’s. Followed by a Hot Bread run. Busy day planned. :cool:
I am really glad that I have seen your resort in person and remember the feeling I had while walking around there and listen to the trade winds, the waves and the ever present birds. I love the birds!

Have you started renting your condo already or not yet and will you take 2 nights like Friday and Saturday only or as long as people want to stay if the condo isn’t rented yet?

PS. We went to the Kalaupapa lookout too and had a late lunch at the Cook House that was also recommended by a local and he recommended the little place too where you have gone to twice already and you showed your pictures of. They had fresh fish that was caught that morning and it was very good.

We were disappointed that the locals were no longer performing at the restaurant at the Molokai Hotel but they told us that they are performing now at the Peddler’s and at one other place. They were a lot of fun and Luanne was asking about them.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am really glad that I have seen your resort in person and remember the feeling I had while walking around there and listen to the trade winds, the waves and the ever present birds. I love the birds!

Have you started renting your condo already or not yet and will you take 2 nights like Friday and Saturday only or as long as people want to stay if the condo isn’t rented yet?

PS. We went to the Kalaupapa lookout too and had a late lunch at the Cook House that was also recommended by a local and he recommended the little place too where you have gone to twice already and you showed your pictures of. They had fresh fish that was caught that morning and it was very good.

We were disappointed that the locals were no longer performing at the restaurant at the Molokai Hotel but they told us that they are performing now at the Peddler’s and at one other place. They were a lot of fun and Luanne was asking about them.

I’m glad you got the chance to check it out too. The birds are one of my favorite things also! I just love the sounds.

Yes, we have rented it out and basically any amount of time is alright but there is a cleaning fee so the longer the stay the better the price is because of that fee.

It has already rented out more than I thought it would so I have been very happy with that. We took some of that money and bought our new sofa and Chair plus our new lanai door and new lanai and bedroom window. Those just got in the island and will be able to be installed next month.

We haven’t been to the cook house yet but we will this trip. My wife is an early riser so we haven’t been out to late. We haven’t even made a Hot Bread run yet. Hopefully tomorrow. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a short video of Pakaa beach on the west side of Molokai. Just a small rocky beach. I am amazed at the good signage they have for the beaches here.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an even shorter video of the next beach down the road Poolau Beach. Another rocky beach.

taffy19

Reaction score
I finally made time in my busy schedule to upload a couple of videos. This one is just in front of the cabana by the ocean. It was at low tide and I was testing my wireless mic when I saw some crabs. So I made it a mission to get at least one of them in the video.

I viewed your video and saw a fast moving little crab and a bigger one at the end. That is a good camera and you got rid of that annoying wind noise too that I have on so many movie clips so never even bother to show them but keep them as a memory.

I walked by a bench closer to your building and looked at the ocean for a few minutes and could hear a young fellow describe his view to someone on Maui. He had his surfboard with him. Locals do island hopping too! :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I viewed your video and saw a fast moving little crab and a bigger one at the end. That is a good camera and you got rid of that annoying wind noise too that I have on so many movie clips so never even bother to show them but keep them as a memory.

I walked by a bench closer to your building and looked at the ocean for a few minutes and could hear a young fellow describe his view to someone on Maui. He had his surfboard with him. Locals do island hopping too! :cool:

It took awhile but I did get a crab or two on there. :)

I was more or less just practicing with the camera and mic. This wireless microphone has a small cover and it clips on my shirt. I was skeptical of the cover working it it really works great because the trade winds have been pretty strong and the wind noise is way down.

I do want to get a few of the east side beaches too. We’ll see how many we get.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Alright, here’s Part One and Two of the videos I took at Papohaku Beach. I had to stop and give my wife a hand to walk in the sand. That’s why there are two parts. I can’t believe she walked that far. She did really good. The sand is really deep there.

Part One

Part Two

taffy19

Reaction score
Alright, here’s Part One and Two of the videos I took at Papohaku Beach. I had to stop and give my wife a hand to walk in the sand. That’s why there are two parts. I can’t believe she walked that far. She did really good. The sand is really deep there.

Part One

Part Two

Thanks for sharing your movies and that your wife walked that far.

My husband never walks the beach anywhere but decided to go with me because it is quite far from the car and very few people are on the beach. He even walked all the way to the ocean.

The trade winds were very strong that day and the waves were very high too.

My video clips turned out really nice except for the annoying wind noise but I will try to copy a picture here of only wind ripples. Not one single footstep except ours on a 3 mile beach and the sand is really soft and deep but hard to walk on but beautiful to see.

upload_2019-5-11_2-8-17.png

We noticed a sprinkler leak in the park where the picnic tables were. Many birds were enjoying the water but water is very expensive on this side of the island so I decided to report it. They called me back to give them more information and called back a second time. I was surprised but felt good that I had reported it and they took care of it pretty quick.

Water being so expensive on this side of the island is one of the reasons why the Molokai Ranch and golf course failed. It was so nice and a big loss.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, I appreciate seeing your videos, and chuckle at some of your offhanded humor. It's enjoyable. The new microphone helps a lot with the wind, and your camera obviously has a good quality lens. Very sharp.

If I may, a little constructive criticism on your videos: Slow down the panning from side to side, and avoid sudden movement, especially when zoomed in on something. When you quickly swing the camera around from one place to another, it can make the viewer nauseous. When you have a scene in frame, especially a pretty landscape view, pause long enough for the viewer to absorb what it is they're seeing - like a postcard view. Consider that they may never have seen what you're viewing, so you have to let them follow along. Keep in mind that you can see what is outside the camera's view, but your video viewer cannot - the camera's eye is all they have. There's a real reason you see movie directors making a rectangle with four fingers, as if viewing what the camera would see.

If you pan from one scene to another, do it slowly enough for your viewer to follow along easily, or zoom out wide and then pan over. When you're zoomed in on something close and then swing the camera around, it's like a train wreck. Moving too fast between scenes, or not pausing long enough once you're there, makes it seem like you're gesturing as you're talking, with the camera in your hand. It makes the image choppy, and hard to appreciate. (Your video where you're comparing the distant view of Maui to Kahoolawe to Lanai is an example of what I'm talking about.

It's a practiced skill, but I think it'll help considerably. Your videos are interesting, but some are a bit hard to appreciate. (Full disclosure: I took four years of video communications in school, and my Director was a taskmaster. LOL! @dioxide45 has excellent travel videos on his website, but he works hard at them. Yours needn't be as fancy as his, but it shows what i'm talking about.)

Enjoy your wonderful condo. I'm finding your Molokai to be a very interesting place. :thumbup:

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I am a novice and i learn every time I watch them. A few of the things you mentioned I remember, although half way through the video.:)

The crab one was real funny when I watched it because I was concentrating on the mic so much my video was all over. I kept it zoomed in while I was walking on the rocks. A better video would have been of me making that one.

I watch a lot of YouTube and always wonder how they get those good videos. But after watching videos on how to make YouTube videos, I learned that a lot of that happens in the editing. I will try that later.

Practice makes perfect, let’s see if I can get to tolerable first. :)

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing your movies and that your wife walked that far.

My husband never walks the beach anywhere but decided to go with me because it is quite far from the car and very few people are on the beach. He even walked all the way to the ocean.

The trade winds were very strong that day and the waves were very high too.

My video clips turned out really nice except for the annoying wind noise but I will try to copy a picture here of only wind ripples. Not one single footstep except ours on a 3 mile beach and the sand is really soft and deep but hard to walk on but beautiful to see.

View attachment 11723

We noticed a sprinkler leak in the park where the picnic tables were. Many birds were enjoying the water but water is very expensive on this side of the island so I decided to report it. They called me back to give them more information and called back a second time. I was surprised but felt good that I had reported it and they took care of it pretty quick.

Water being so expensive on this side of the island is one of the reasons why the Molokai Ranch and golf course failed. It was so nice and a big loss.

That is a very long walk and it’s really tough when You get to the sand. Great picture too. When the trades are blowing you see that often.

I was surprised that there were two other cars in the parking lot when we were there.

No leak while we were there so they must have fixed it. Yes, the Hawaiians always has a concern of the water usage at the ranch and that was one of their main concerns. Especially with limiting expansion at the ranch.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife’s diamond painting is really coming along. She started right away this morning. The picture shows how much she has done. The paper on top is what she has yet to do. She has a lot of ocean and sky left. Getting close to half way done.

170F21C5-0824-4F54-9A04-ABDDCAE62BB1.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My wife’s diamond painting is really coming along.

That's nice work, but man, so tedious!! I'd be blind after about ten minutes. :) Then again, I'm also colorblind, so a lot of that kind of nuanced work is wasted on me. Good for her!

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
My wife’s diamond painting is really coming along. She started right away this morning. The picture shows how much she has done. The paper on top is what she has yet to do. She has a lot of ocean and sky left. Getting close to half way done.

View attachment 11726

It looks really nice but you would need to have a lot of patience. I would rather read TUG while looking at the view outside that your wife must do often too. This is REALLY a relaxing vacation for both of you. :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks really nice but you would need to have a lot of patience. I would rather read TUG while looking at the view outside that your wife must do often too. This is REALLY a relaxing vacation for both of you. :D

Yes, she even mentioned how much nicer it was to do that here so when she looks up she sees that view. I’m the one reading TUG. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Busy day already. After I dragged the Birthday girl away from her diamond painting, we stopped in Kaunakakai town for the street market. Bought some goodies and more fresh fruit. I finally found a Molokai calendar so I grabbed a couple of those. Of course she wanted a Bubble drink but they were out of tapioca so she passed.

Then we took a ride north to the Kalaupapa lookout. I did do a video and boy I was surprised that there was hardly any wind. It is a beautiful day Again.

After that we stopped at the cookhouse for lunch. I had the chicken plate lunch and my wife had a bacon burger. We were hungry so no pictures. :)
Food and service was great. We’ll definitely go back there.

Then we had to get some more groceries. Pretty much everything closes for Mother’s Day here so we had to make sure we had a few dinners worth of food to cook.

Tonight is Hiro’s and a Hot Bread run. Busy day. :cool:

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, she even mentioned how much nicer it was to do that here so when she looks up she sees that view. I’m the one reading TUG. :)
I know!

I am still trying to find out what the name was of the little restaurant or take-out place that one of the locals had recommended to us because your pictures are from different places.

We sat outside but had to move inside because of the flies but the fish was really fresh and you had a choice of how to prepare it. It was all very good. They had a bar counter but my husband doesn’t even drink beer when he is driving but they let us sit there anyway with just water.

I really needed a cup of coffee and they sent me next door because they didn’t serve it but I was just a few minutes too late. It was all in the family, they told me. I seem to remember that they serve breakfast there and many kinds of coffee.

Do you know the name of that little place? It was on a corner and very close to where the grocery store was.

We also bought fruit from the little stand next to the grocery store but missed the farmers’ market.

We also drove to the same beaches as you did but had to turn around or go to a beach parking lot at the end and turn around there. They are all well marked but the map from Alamo was rather poor. Molokai doesn’t seem to have an official map.

I have no pictures of these beaches because they kept disappearing so the aggravation wasn’t worth it. I will look at yours and especially the videos. Keep on making more! Thanks for sharing.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know!

I am still trying to find out what the name was of the little restaurant or take-out place that one of the locals had recommended to us because your pictures are from different places.

We sat outside but had to move inside because of the flies but the fish was really fresh and you had a choice of how to prepare it. It was all very good. They had a bar counter but my husband doesn’t even drink beer when he is driving but they let us sit there anyway with just water.

I really needed a cup of coffee and they sent me next door because they didn’t serve it but I was just a few minutes too late. It was all in the family, they told me. I seem to remember that they serve breakfast there and many kinds of coffee.

Do you know the name of that little place? It was on a corner and very close to where the grocery store was.

We also bought fruit from the little stand next to the grocery store but missed the farmers’ market.

We also drove to the same beaches as you did but had to turn around or go to a beach parking lot at the end and turn around there. They are all well marked but the map from Alamo was rather poor. Molokai doesn’t seem to have an official map.

I have no pictures of these beaches because they kept disappearing so the aggravation wasn’t worth it. I will look at yours and especially the videos. Keep on making more! Thanks for sharing.

Boy, I am trying to think of where that can be. I don’t think we have hit every place yet so it could be a place we haven’t been to yet. A couple come to mind but the bar counter is throwing me off. The Paddlers Inn is about two blocks from the grocery and has a bar. They are more open air and have good food but I can’t think of where you would have gone for the coffee unless it was at the Inn part of the building. Paddlers is on a corner also.

Maka’s Corner is about a block from the grocery and they have good food and there is probably a place next door for coffee but it’s small and don’t remember a bar counter to eat at but ther maybe on the side. I always do take out there.

The Molokai Center has a place too. It’s close to the grocery but I don’t think they have a bar counter. I haven’t ate there yet.

Kanemitsu Bakery is across from the grocery. I think they have a counter but I don’t think they have outdoor seating unless it’s in the back where you buy they Hot Bread at night.

I’ll keep thinking.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we got back to WaveCrest there was an open house at the only two bedroom condo that is listed for sale here. There hasn’t been a two bedroom listed for sale for a few years I’m told. I have been watching listings for almost two years and I haven’t seen one.

Anyway, when we where here in January I saw it but didn’t take pictures so here some pictures of the two bedroom for sale. It’s an end until in the C building, C201.

It has one and a half baths and two lanai’s, one small one off the master bedroom. It’s not furnished but has some updates. New appliances in the kitchen but it still has the original cabinets. The main bath is mostly original also. It looks like new paint and they did put new laminate flooring throughout. It’s listed for twice what I paid for mine, $259,000.

20DAB61D-7A5F-4200-AF07-0965CA828801.jpeg
BEC3C723-7C70-4F66-961A-CD712264E5CF.jpeg

This one below is the small lanai off the master bedroom.

4939B6DA-D8C0-4A42-8283-991559A02488.jpeg
7BAC32E9-A83A-41EB-8B44-C9673DFC6174.jpeg
1776523E-70C6-482A-99F4-8EE800E7979C.jpeg
992C934A-513F-4697-8212-852E14008C79.jpeg

The one below turned out bad but it’s the tub/shower.

B7238FE5-897E-4C91-9E00-F1AE89378D1F.jpeg
86F15D11-6A2D-491E-A5A1-FF0F4EEFFC8E.jpeg
AF4A38DB-12AF-4EAC-BB76-07CA0E75A20E.jpeg
792817F5-A024-4DC6-8CF1-FDE457B0A658.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nice view ^^^. For $260K, somebody will have a great place to be.

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
Boy, I am trying to think of where that can be. I don’t think we have hit every place yet so it could be a place we haven’t been to yet. A couple come to mind but the bar counter is throwing me off. The Paddlers Inn is about two blocks from the grocery and has a bar. They are more open air and have good food but I can’t think of where you would have gone for the coffee unless it was at the Inn part of the building. Paddlers is on a corner also.

Maka’s Corner is about a block from the grocery and they have good food and there is probably a place next door for coffee but it’s small and don’t remember a bar counter to eat at but ther maybe on the side. I always do take out there.

The Molokai Center has a place too. It’s close to the grocery but I don’t think they have a bar counter. I haven’t ate there yet.

Kanemitsu Bakery is across from the grocery. I think they have a counter but I don’t think they have outdoor seating unless it’s in the back where you buy they Hot Bread at night.

I’ll keep thinking.
It is Maka’s Corner. I couldn’t remember “Maka” but I swear it had a bar counter but it may have been only an area to order or pick-up drinks. The coffee place is next door.

We asked if we could sit inside at the little counter area facing the window and they said yes.

It is not a place for ambiance but service was friendly and the fish was prepared better and fresher than we had in the Cookhouse Restaurant and in the Molokai Hotel dining room.

upload_2019-5-11_21-50-59.jpeg

They have the view, music and ambience. Service was friendly everywhere we went.

The Cookhouse is very popular on Thursday nights according to the locals because it is Prime Rib night. You may have to make reservations then?

I hope that your dinner is good at Hiro’s tonight. We didn’t go there and hadn’t heard of it but it has excellent ratings. I just looked it up and where it is.

Enjoy the dinner and evening tonight and Happy Birthday to your wife.