• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seaweed - Riviera Maya area?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone either there now, or very recently with a seaweed report?

I'm specifically looking at the Riviera Maya area (Puerto Morelos, down to Playa).

We don't usually go during the summer, but with family members with kids in school, it now makes it the only time we can all go (unless I win the Lotto and can afford Christmas time--haha)

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
I can tell you a week from today.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

cheech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bahia Principe Privilege Club, Royal Elite Vacation Club
Just got back last week. Not to spoil anything but it was the worst I've seen in in 25+ trips down there over the past 15 years. Workers try to keep on top of it however...

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw quite a bit when we flew over towards Cozumel in early May. On Cozumel island there was quite a bit on the east facing beaches. I believe that folks were talking about it over on Tripadvisor too: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop..._Maya-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Thanks! We were thinking of Cozumel as well, but on the western facing side (better snorkeling, IMO) like where the El Cid la Ceiba or Fiesta Americana is at.

Again, much appreciated.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks! We were thinking of Cozumel as well, but on the western facing side (better snorkeling, IMO) like where the El Cid la Ceiba or Fiesta Americana is at.

Again, much appreciated.
We were at the Explorean (just behind FA) and there was no seaweed at all. The Explorean was awesome - the AI ($95pp if you book thru RCI at least) includes a daily excursion. The staff is outstanding. I highly recommend it.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Bonaire had a big problem with the Sargassum seaweed in March this year. Here’s a little information about the Sargassum seaweed:
http://stinapabonaire.org/stinapa_news/sargassum-clean-bonaire/

I just got back from Antigua Saturday from a Tradewinds sailing and there was a small amount of it off shore surrounding the island.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
At Mayan World the first week of May, some guys were digging huge holes in the sand each morning and others were raking the seaweed that had washed up overnight and then they put the seaweed in the holes and covered it with sand before noon. We thought that was unusual. :) The week before, the grooming machine was collecting it.

The seaweed was "stinky". Our first day on the beach we did not stay long because it smelled so bad. Then it got better and we went everyday. One day while the Beach Club was being renovated, my husband walked down and plopped down under one of the Palapla's in front of the Beach Club. He came back in less than an hour and said there was a lot of seaweed and it smelled awful. That was one of the days I had been watching the guys burying it at the MP beach.

Last edited:

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
I was taking a cruise early this month and noticed a lot of seaweed floating in the ocean. The ship docked at cozumel one day. The beach there was full of seaweed.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
843390DC-AAD3-4FBA-B214-F67773757FF2.jpeg
0848A3B8-6111-4AAA-B5AA-8BB6B7D002EF.jpeg

Here an article and with a video about the sargassum sea that is in the Atlantic, which is responsible for the seeweed showing up on many Caribbean beaches lately:

Significant Sargassum
By Melissa Gaskill / Alert Diver/
http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=1108

“The Sargassum Sea, a 1.5 million-square-mile circle of ocean filled vast rafts of free-floating algae, occupies the North Atlantic subtropical Gyre, a large system of rotating currents within the Atlantic. The Sargassum Sea is bounded by the Gulf Stream, the North Atlantic current, the Canary current, and
the North Atlantic Equatoria Current, and it has inspired ancient poets, mariners’ tales, 20th-century science fiction, and even music videos. “Sailing ships were afraid of being trapped in it, said Larry McKinney, executor director of the Harte Research institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi “I’ve been sargassum mats so thick - the size of 10 football fields. I could almost imagine that happening.”

Far from being hazardous, sargassum plays a significant role in the marine ecosystem, providing a variety of habitats that include resting, feeding and breeding area for families. The young types of our sea turtles— loggerhead, hawksbill, kemp’s ridley and green— hide from predators in the mats and
eat both the algae and creatures that live in it. (They and other creatues also eat plastic bits that collect
In the mats, some with deadly consequences

843390DC-AAD3-4FBA-B214-F67773757FF2.jpeg

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
As of today. Seaweed at grand Mayan. Smell not bad at all. 1 foot wide along water line.

Pretty nice here.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Took these this evening at Vidanta Riveria Maya.

No smell (windy evening 17-25 mph) just seaweed. 20180529_192206.jpg 20180529_192213.jpg

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score

I'm specifically looking at the Riviera Maya area (Puerto Morelos, down to Playa).

We don't usually go during the summer, but with family members with kids in school, it now makes it the only time we can all go (unless I win the Lotto and can afford Christmas time--haha)

We just returned from RM May 25th. The 2 weeks there did have a lot of seaweed, but the equipment and workers were keeping up with it. While we were at the GL pool or Beach Club most of the time, our walks on the beach were fine and did not smell anything.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We just returned from RM May 25th. ...we were at the GL pool or Beach Club most of the time, our walks on the beach were fine and did not smell anything.

Hi Tropical Lady ,
Nice to see your still visiting Mexico & Grand Luxxe

I read many of your prior informative posts - when I was figuring out Mayan World and how to best use our ownership .

Thank you -

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Hi Tropical Lady ,
Nice to see your still visiting Mexico & Grand Luxxe

I read many of your prior informative posts - when I was figuring out Mayan World and how to best use our ownership .

Thank you -

We met her and her husband a few years ago - they came up to our Buganvilias Sky Suite and we signed one of the TUG Banners before going to dinner nearby! We had a blast!!! :)

Tropical lady

Reaction score
We met her and her husband a few years ago - they came up to our Buganvilias Sky Suite and we signed one of the TUG Banners before going to dinner nearby! We had a blast!!! :)
With building a house and moving to Fla, we have not been since staying Nuevo the month of Dec in 2013. We had only planned one year off, but life gets in the way sometimes. Back in now with 2 weeks in RM and 2 weeks Nuevo in Dec. Pleased that anyone even remembered.....thanks!!

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barbados has got the sargassum seaweed problem now too...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Barbados has got the sargassum seaweed problem now too...
Barbados is on the leading edge of the Caribbean and is heavily impacted by seaweed. Lots of discussion about it on TripAdvisor. I made a video of it on the South Coast on our recent trip.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
ooh, that's too bad. That seaweed is a real "beach" killer for those of us who like to swim there.
LOL!