• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO Platinum vs Gold Plus

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I have read a few older threads which basically state that there is very little difference, if any when it comes to trading. The advantage of SDO Platinum resort is the ability to retro.

I can get a SDO 2 bedroom lock-off floating week 1-52 for next to nothing. However, if I purchase the same unit in a Platinum week it will most likely cost me $1,000 plus.

I am only interested in staying at the resort or trading in II so I am leaning towards the gold plus so I have very little to no upfront costs. My only concern is will I be able to give it away in the future if I decide I don't want it anymore. Or am I better off spending the extra money upfront to get a more desirable week?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When Harborside bulk deposits were frequently sighted, the platinum weeks definitely saw more weeks than the gold plus 1-52. At one point in time, I had randomly used different SDOs (I had both platinum and gold plus1-52 2BRs) to put an ongoing request for the same range of weeks using 1BRs. The 1BR Platinum got matched first which was not a surprise.

Having said that I would not worry about which one to get. If you can get a free 2BR 1-52 just take it. That way when you need to sell it you can also give it away.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The consensus seems to be that it's much easier to reserve top March weeks at SDO if you own a Platinum week, while if you own 1-52 float, it's next to impossible.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful.
I have read a few older threads which basically state that there is very little difference, if any when it comes to trading. The advantage of SDO Platinum resort is the ability to retro.

I can get a SDO 2 bedroom lock-off floating week 1-52 for next to nothing. However, if I purchase the same unit in a Platinum week it will most likely cost me $1,000 plus.

I am only interested in staying at the resort or trading in II so I am leaning towards the gold plus so I have very little to no upfront costs. My only concern is will I be able to give it away in the future if I decide I don't want it anymore. Or am I better off spending the extra money upfront to get a more desirable week?

I have an EOY-2 Bedroom at SDO and this has been a great unit for me. I got it for $19 a few years ago

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The consensus seems to be that it's much easier to reserve top March weeks at SDO if you own a Platinum week, while if you own 1-52 float, it's next to impossible.
I think that it used to be difficult, but I was able to reserve spring training weeks the last two times that I tried. In the end, I wound up depositing them so all that work for nothing, haha.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Btw, I started off with one bedroom SDO's and was able to give them away here on TUG without too much trouble. Now I have a two bedroom eoy and am very happy. Mine trades 1-52.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
Thanks everyone! I am pretty sure I'm going with the close to free 1-52 week and if a platinum ever shows up for free I may have to get that one too :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing to consider is how easy is it to unload the Gold Plus SDO if you want/need out. I see lower season Vistana voluntary weeks show up pretty often on the Bargain Deals forum. It seems some people try for months trying to unload them.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I agree, that's why I am only considering Gold Plus or Platinum. I don't want to get stuck with a timeshare I can't give away if my needs change.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i would put out the money and get the platinum. you will be glad down the road if you ever decided to retro or just getting rid of it, you will get your $1000 back. every time i go to an owner's update, i think, if i only had a 2 bedroom sdo platinum to retro i might be interested but i don't so i don't buy. then again, it might tempt you so then maybe your shouldn't. I love SDO it is my home resort and i use my WKV SO to trade into it. i use the company 47 staroption chart and get a week in a large one bedroom for 37k. we are going for 3 weeks this winter and can't wait. either way you will have vacation time.