• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scheduling knee replacement surgery

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend's mother who has undergone 7 knee replacement surgeries on the same knee, each one to correct a previously botched job. I shudder to think about it happening to anyone. Her last one was successful and now she is finally no longer bedridden.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The first week after surgery, even with the walker, it was hard to get around the house, go up and down stairs, get in and out of bed, and in and out of the car. I can't imagine doing any of those if I had both knees done at the same time. I've also heard that doing both at once is more than double the risk during surgery. If you're out twice as long, they have to put you deeper under anesthetic.
I also cannot imagine having both knees done at the same time! I agree that the first week after surgery was the hardest. Keeping up with the pain medication is very important--take it as prescribed and don't worry about becoming addicted to it. It's important to keep moving as much as possible and if you're in pain you're less likely to move.

I had the CPM machine (I think that's the name of it) in the hospital and for a couple of weeks at home, I think. Medicare pays for only a certain number of days. It's the machine that continually bends your knee. I found it to be actually more comfortable having my leg in the machine and bending than not.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I have a friend's mother who has undergone 7 knee replacement surgeries on the same knee, each one to correct a previously botched job. I shudder to think about it happening to anyone. Her last one was successful and now she is finally no longer bedridden.
That's awful! I wonder if the same surgeon was doing all of the surgeries or if it was a different doctor each time. Glad to hear the last one was successful.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's awful! I wonder if the same surgeon was doing all of the surgeries or if it was a different doctor each time. Glad to hear the last one was successful.
I know that the 7th surgery was done by a different surgeon. She ended up being bedridden for a long time, not from non-compliance to doing post-surgery exercise but more from complications from each surgery.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Keeping up with the pain medication is very important--take it as prescribed and don't worry about becoming addicted to it.
Unfortunate & troubling side-effect of prescription pain medicine is bad constipation -- no fun any time but specially vexing when you're trying to get back to normal with a new knee or 2. That's another good reason to get off Vicodin (etc.) & onto Advil (etc.) as soon as you reasonably can without suffering.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My old BF who got both knees done in one surgery ... convinced me to LOSE 50lbs by watching his recovery. I knew losing weight would help any recovery and might delay when I needed surgery. Been around 20 years since his surgery ... no surgery yet for me. He moved to Thailand 15+ years ago.

Unless I have older shoes (heels worn down on the outside edge), my knees don't bother me.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, surgery is this Thursday, very nervous.
I have requested inpatient treatment as I will have no help at home.
I need people to STOP telling me how to do everything, that is people who have not had the surgery, and have to tell me how to arrange my husband's pills, etc.
I have found out that I come across as dumb as a rock and don't know how to survive without their advice. If I asked everything of the doctor that they tell me to call up and demand, he would drop me as a patient.

Right now I have a call in to doctors office and a rehab place to see if I need to make my own reservation and set up my own rehab. Because that is what people are telling me. I took care of five elderly relatives and probably a dozen stays in rehab and never had to set it up beforehand by myself, but perhaps in Florida you do.

I love the claims I will do anything just call. Sure, until I ask something simple. For example, a friend loaned me a device that circulates ice cold water around your knee. She told me that the best thing to do is to freeze water in Tupperware containers and put in machine. I have my freezer full of prepared meals and frozen ice and ice packs. Ask someone that you know has an extra freezer to make some ice for you and they come up with all kinds of excuses and tell me to just go out and buy bags of ice. Okay, so their statement means they won't do anything, but just want to say they will.

I got good helpful advice here on what to expect. I am exercising that knee and getting prepared. Rereading the experience of others here has been encouraging.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I have one more thing to tell you to do. Stop listening to all the people (except the doctor) that are telling you what to do.

I can understand being nervous. I was nervous for my first TNR. I wasn't nearly as nervous for the second one because I knew what to expect. I have 15 months on the left knee and 3 months on the right knee and both are doing fine. We all wish you well, and hope your recovery is speedy.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you, just got a call back from doctors office. The have someone at the hospital who will be arranging all the rehab, etc, ust as I thought.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Okay, surgery is this Thursday, very nervous.
I have requested inpatient treatment as I will have no help at home.
I need people to STOP telling me how to do everything, that is people who have not had the surgery, and have to tell me how to arrange my husband's pills, etc.
I have found out that I come across as dumb as a rock and don't know how to survive without their advice. If I asked everything of the doctor that they tell me to call up and demand, he would drop me as a patient.

Right now I have a call in to doctors office and a rehab place to see if I need to make my own reservation and set up my own rehab. Because that is what people are telling me. I took care of five elderly relatives and probably a dozen stays in rehab and never had to set it up beforehand by myself, but perhaps in Florida you do.

I love the claims I will do anything just call. Sure, until I ask something simple. For example, a friend loaned me a device that circulates ice cold water around your knee. She told me that the best thing to do is to freeze water in Tupperware containers and put in machine. I have my freezer full of prepared meals and frozen ice and ice packs. Ask someone that you know has an extra freezer to make some ice for you and they come up with all kinds of excuses and tell me to just go out and buy bags of ice. Okay, so their statement means they won't do anything, but just want to say they will.

I got good helpful advice here on what to expect. I am exercising that knee and getting prepared. Rereading the experience of others here has been encouraging.
I wish you the best with your surgery.

It is very normal to be nervous before a surgery, I was. When I had surgery I woke up with an attitude of being grateful it was behind me and with the mindset in 8-12 weeks I would never have to have the horrible issues I had and the pain would be gone. It wasn't knee surgery but it also affected my everything day life.

Fast forward, I healed much sooner and always think why did I wait so long? I waited years until I had no choice which was much worse then having the surgery.

I have a few friends that had your surgery and it was very successful for them.

As for others, ignore, and only listen to the positive. The doctors and hospital staff will make sure you have what you need before, during and after.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know it’s been a challenge getting ready for this. I wish you great success with your surgery and recovery. The toughest part of my own knee replacement was dealing with the boredom afterwards while I was healing up. ;)

One thing I did that helped me with flexibility was getting a child’s inflated “bouncy ball” about 10” in diameter. I kept it with me on the bed, and put it under my new knee. As I flexed the knee, the ball rolled up and back under my leg. It helped increase my flexing strength. It helped me out. :)

Good luck this week! We’re here if you have any questions.

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, in several weeks the stress of getting knee replacement surgery will be replaced with improvement. Listen to what the doctor and the PTs tell you to do and HOW to do it.

I learned from my ex-bf's replacement surgery and recovery .... I credit that with slapping me up the head to LOSE WEIGHT, stop downhill skiing and watch how I get in & out of my 4x4 truck (to have LESS twisting on my left knee).

Good luck!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it’s been a challenge getting ready for this. I wish you great success with your surgery and recovery. The toughest part of my own knee replacement was dealing with the boredom afterwards while I was healing up. ;)

One thing I did that helped me with flexibility was getting a child’s inflated “bouncy ball” about 10” in diameter. I kept it with me on the bed, and put it under my new knee. As I flexed the knee, the ball rolled up and back under my leg. It helped increase my flexing strength. It helped me out. :)

Good luck this week! We’re here if you have any questions.

Dave
I will look in garage for a ball right now

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I will look in garage for a ball right now

If you lay flat on your back, with your leg straight and the ball under the upper part of your calf, then flex the knee, your calf rolls along with the ball until it gets close to your ankle. Straighten out the leg again, and the ball rolls back up close to the knee again. It's easy to maneuver, and it supports your knee as you're trying to bend it. That's one of the things they will want you to do, to increase flexibility in the new joint. It works pretty well, and I'd do it while watching TV or reading. Flex up till it gets tight, then relax, wait a second or two, and do it again. Easy breezy. :)

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had surgery one week ago today, came home the next morning. Some things went well, others no.
I think surgery went well, but after twelve hours on the same ice that I left the or with, I found out that they didn't have fresh ice. I would have to wait til they froze new ice with my pair of ice packs.their excuse: Oh we are slammed . So busy. Since the hospital called a week early and made me pay for my copay, I assume they knew I was coming. They never elevated my foot either.
the therapist came and told me to do these twenty exercises twice a day plus walk 600 feet, and do five times more a day each day. Of course I felt like an utter failure, since I couldn't do them.
None of my routine medswere ordered, the nurse didn't want to give me water because then I would have to pee, and the naked man across the hall kept coming in to yell at me so I was happy to go home.
The physical therapist at home is great,a nurse comes to check on me, and finally after a week, I got a home health aide come and help me shower.
Yesterday the pain medication got to me and I threw up all over myself, and couldn't clean it up.
Big problem sleeping because when I wake up the knee pain is intense from being still too long. I understand this will continue for awhile. My mantra is, keep knee elevated, keep it iced, move around every hour at the least and do the exercises. Wish I had someone to replenish my ice etc, but I am doing okay.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I found that besides the meds, a good way to manage pain is distraction. For my first knee, I got the DVD set of Lonesome Dove. For the second knee, I watched season 1 of West Wing. For both, I depended on listening to music so I wouldn't be focusing on the pain. I think the medical staff usually sets unreasonable high standards, and everyone is different, so I hope you don't get discouraged. Hopefully, you'll be able to sleep better in another week or two. Thanks for the update, and you should know that we've all been thinking about you and hoping you're doing well.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention friends have been great at bringing over food, and offering to run errands

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hang in there. The worst of it is behind you. Do the exercises, try to stay positive, and know that lots of people have been exactly where you are right now. Each day you'll improve, bit by bit. Good luck!

Dave

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hope your recovery is speedy and you feel better soon.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I hope your recovery is going good and you get to enjoy some of this beautiful Florida weather. We are just getting ready to leave FL and board the plane ✈️ for the Midwest

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Had surgery one week ago today, came home the next morning. . . Wish I had someone to replenish my ice etc, but I am doing okay.
I cannot imagine having to go home the day after surgery with no one at home to help me! I am amazed that you are managing by yourself. I was just at the hospital visiting a single friend who had her knee replacement Monday and is going to a rehab facility for several days when she is released later today or tomorrow. All of my friends here who live alone have gone to rehab after surgery until they were recovered enough to manage on their own.

As far as the ice bags go, I froze Palmolive liquid detergent in ziplock bags to make ice bags that lasted a long time and were pliable to kind of mold around the top and sides of my knee. A large bottle from Sam's Club was enough to make two gallon-sized bags and two quart-sized bags so that I'd always had a spare in the freezer while I was using one. Maybe a friend could make some up for you. Be sure to double bag to avoid any leaks, and just put them back in the freezer when they thawed. Be sure to lay them flat to freeze. I elevated my leg on a pillow, put a quart-sized bag under my knee and molded the gallon-sized bag around & on top of my knee. It worked great.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! It does get better, but it takes awhile.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Had surgery one week ago today, came home the next morning. Some things went well, others no.
I think surgery went well, but after twelve hours on the same ice that I left the or with, I found out that they didn't have fresh ice. I would have to wait til they froze new ice with my pair of ice packs.their excuse: Oh we are slammed . So busy. Since the hospital called a week early and made me pay for my copay, I assume they knew I was coming. They never elevated my foot either.
the therapist came and told me to do these twenty exercises twice a day plus walk 600 feet, and do five times more a day each day. Of course I felt like an utter failure, since I couldn't do them.
None of my routine medswere ordered, the nurse didn't want to give me water because then I would have to pee, and the naked man across the hall kept coming in to yell at me so I was happy to go home.
The physical therapist at home is great,a nurse comes to check on me, and finally after a week, I got a home health aide come and help me shower.
Yesterday the pain medication got to me and I threw up all over myself, and couldn't clean it up.
Big problem sleeping because when I wake up the knee pain is intense from being still too long. I understand this will continue for awhile. My mantra is, keep knee elevated, keep it iced, move around every hour at the least and do the exercises. Wish I had someone to replenish my ice etc, but I am doing okay.
I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this alone.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also cannot imagine having both knees done at the same time! I agree that the first week after surgery was the hardest. Keeping up with the pain medication is very important--take it as prescribed and don't worry about becoming addicted to it. It's important to keep moving as much as possible and if you're in pain you're less likely to move.

I had the CPM machine (I think that's the name of it) in the hospital and for a couple of weeks at home, I think. Medicare pays for only a certain number of days. It's the machine that continually bends your knee. I found it to be actually more comfortable having my leg in the machine and bending than not.
The therapist said that after three months patients with or without the machine are at the same place in their recovery